Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Urine Smells a Bit Raunchy...urinalysis Shows No Problems (Page 1)

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
For a long while now, about two months or so, i've noticed that my urine scent has changed. A very very long time ago it smelled normal, and then it began to smell like popcorn...Sounds sick, but it's true. And when it changed a second time, it smelled like chicken boullion cubes - that's why I have not eaten ramen noodles for 2 months o.O

when I went in for an "exam" to find the source of my headaches, a urine test was ordered. Because of an excess amount of protein it was sent in for further testing, which yielded no problems.

But despite a clean bill of health, in a urinary sense xd, what's making me smell so bad?

Sadly the other night when I was in the shower I was trying very hard to hold it but it came forth anyway and let me tell you did it reek. The hot water really brought the stench out! Icky!

Anyone else had problems with this?

Scaredbaka
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Wonderain
|

replied October 12th, 2005
Are you sure it's not a urinary tract infection? Maybe an std?
|

replied January 21st, 2006
Popcorn
I too have a popcorn smell when I go pee. I'm very familiar with bladder infections/kidney infections, because i'm very prone to them and I get them quite a bit. This though, is not one of those. I'm not really sure what's causing it. I just had a baby 1 year ago, and was tested quite often for std's which I do not have. If anyone founds out anything please let me know.
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
a question???
well idk if anyone can help me either...ive had a urine problem for abt 2 months...its sooo strong...sumtimes b4 my period or after it smells weird..ive neva had a smell to my vagina...neeevvveer..i smelled good no odor..not even on my period..lately ive had intercourse and when it comes out it smells like sofrito,or like funyons...or garlic..i go to the gyno and its always clear of anything..i use bacteria infection cream and it goes away..but also u can onlii smell it when it dries either on my hubby or on my finger if i touch myself...idk whats goin on..its since i tried this cream for my vagina...now my pee smells really strong not onlii in the morning but mostly all the time..what is this ...does anyone have an idea??
|

replied April 30th, 2012
I was reading your post and maybe this might be helpful. many years ago I had the very same thing happen to me and had 10 different Dr.s examine me. They found nothing! Then smell got worse and worse. I was even treated for gonorrhea; which i never had. I was so sick after several months of this. I thought I was going to die, and the smell became disgusting. Finally my sister took me to another Dr. who found a very old tampon lodged up inside of me. Yuck! He saved my life!
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
a question???
well idk if anyone can help me either...ive had a urine problem for abt 2 months...its sooo strong...sumtimes b4 my period or after it smells weird..ive neva had a smell to my vagina...neeevvveer..i smelled good no odor..not even on my period..lately ive had intercourse and when it comes out it smells like sofrito,or like funyons...or garlic..i go to the gyno and its always clear of anything..i use bacteria infection cream and it goes away..but also u can onlii smell it when it dries either on my hubby or on my finger if i touch myself...idk whats goin on..its since i tried this cream for my vagina...now my pee smells really strong not onlii in the morning but mostly all the time..what is this ...does anyone have an idea??
|

replied August 24th, 2011
Sounds like those who have not tested positve for a UTI might look into interstitial cystitis.I felt like I had a constant kidney and/or bladder infection(especially under stressful times).I have been on a probiotic for this and works in the (mucous)vaginal areas-one is called Jarrows Fem-dophilous.Another is Nature's Way/Reuteri(much cheaper).This helps tremendously with all those issues/uretha,bladder & vaginal pains,frequencies and odor.It took me years to figure this one out so,hope this helps~
|

Extremely eHealthy
Protein spilling in the urine is a problem, unless you have diabeties, or a chronic kidney disease. Then they just keep a close eye on it. Which I have both!!

Drink lots and lots of water, followed with cranberry juice. Try to stay off of the soda's if you normally drink them. Atleast for awhile--couple weeks maybe.

Smelling like popcorn is a symptom of "street speed" do either of you use crank--even recreationally? Or take ephedrine for weight loss? It could possibly cause the "popcorn urine smell" too.

If you do any of the above and have kidney or bladder problems it will make it worse.
|

I don't use drugs of any kind, not even for weightloss. I've had quite a few of kidney/bladder infections in my lifetime, so I know what to expect from one. But this doesn't seem to be anything i've experienced before.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah my pee smelt like that when I became pregnant...And then it went from both of those to smelling like country ham haha im seriously not kidding
|

Extremely eHealthy
I was not accusing anyone, hope you didnt feel like I was. I was just stating some facts that I know.

That is so funny jillian--"im seriously not kidding" ha ha

we got popcorn, chicken boulion, then country ham. This is kinda strange huh??

Some times I get this "smells like im on antibiotics" have you all ever done that?

I used to get uti every other day at that time in my life. Found out I had trich, didnt know it, for a long time--once they got ridda that the uti's quit happening. I had been married for 6 years at that time, and they told me I should not have carried the trichimonisis for that long!!!! Hummm!!
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
fatfamily02 wrote:
i was not accusing anyone, hope you didnt feel like I was. I was just stating some facts that I know.

That is so funny jillian--"im seriously not kidding" ha ha

we got popcorn, chicken boulion, then country ham. This is kinda strange huh??

Some times I get this "smells like im on antibiotics" have you all ever done that?

I used to get uti every other day at that time in my life. Found out I had trich, didnt know it, for a long time--once they got ridda that the uti's quit happening. I had been married for 6 years at that time, and they told me I should not have carried the trichimonisis for that long!!!! Hummm!!

haha crazy things happen ..But I am so serious..It really did smell that way...I know this is really gross but I actually had my fiance smell it and he also thought the same thing..
|

replied February 27th, 2006
I too have the country ham smell. Ive read through all these replies and still have no idea whats up with this. I dont have any stds and from what I can tell I dont have diabetes though it does run in my family.
This has gone on for like a month or two now, and I cant figure it out, its embarassing to talk about but in a forum where peoples piss smells like popcorn, im obviously not in a league of my own.
|

replied April 21st, 2006
I dont know if this is what you all are talking about but I get the very smelly urine....It smells very strongly of garlic....But it is not every time I pee, just sometimes. And there is no pain or itching or anything...It's just really weird. If anyone knows anything, id'e really appreciate it!
|

replied April 29th, 2006
Bad Smelling Urine
Yea, i'm glad to know i'm not alone out here. My urine has been smelling bad for the last year and the urinalysis are coming back negative. Going to try the doctor again and have him check kidneys and liver. My ob/gyn is telling me that as we get older, things change in the body, but i'm not accepting that. It doesn't matter what time of day, morning, afternoon or night - it's offensive. Hate for anyone to go in the bathroom behind me. No specific odors - just offensive - even when I drink a lot of water.
|

replied June 14th, 2006
Just a Thought....
I have noticed myself a strong smell in my urine and it is not all the time.... After I drink my espresso in the morning is when mine has a strong different smell... Not sure if any of you have put a connection between what you are eating or drinking but I know it will change the odor of your urine. I have also noticed when I eat asparagus, and broccoli it does the same thing! If any of you are on a low carb diet it too can effect the smell of your urine... Prob nothing to be alarmed about unless it is painful when you urinate!
|

replied July 27th, 2006
Strange Urine Smell..
I have a strange urine odor from time to time as well. Im not sure what to compare it to but it just smells to me like some kind of chemical. I've had it sporadicly about 8 to 12 times. The first time was after drinking heavily and not drinking enough water. Every other time after that it seemed to happen after I drank alcohol or caffeein. The last time I got it was a few days ago but this time I had been off of caffeein and alcohol for over a week. I also get a burning sensation when I urinate if I dont drink alot of water, and I mean alot. I had a pap done at the gynecologist along with a urine culture and he said there were leukocytes in my urine but the culture came back ok, and I had benign cellular changes in the pap but no diseases. He sent me home with an antibiotic. Im still worried though. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
|

replied November 21st, 2011
I have the same problem should i be worred??
|

replied August 6th, 2006
Bladder Probs
I think you will find taking cranberry is not good for the bladder
|

replied August 24th, 2006
Popcorn...chicken...ham.....urine???
Omg! I can't believe I actually found a post about this problem! A couple of months ago I noticed my urine had a strange odor....Reminiscent of popcorn. I drank a lot of water thinking it might be the start of a bladder infection. I noticed the strange smell intermittantly but not always during the next couple of months. Now my urine has been smelling like chicken. You have no idea how relieved I was to find this post...I thought I was either going nuts or I had some rare disorder...I mean who has urine that smells like chicken????? I can't imagine what could cause this problem and i've had no luck with internet searches. If anyone finds out please let me know!

Holly
|

replied August 28th, 2006
Urinary & Bladder Disorders
I too would like to know if anyone has had an answer to thier unusual smelling urine. It has been a few months since some of you wrote about your problem. Does the problem still persist? Did you find out what was causing it?

I too have a similar problem and would like to hear from others that have had this experience.
Thank you.
|

replied August 28th, 2006
Experienced User
Become a Non Meat Eater
Drink 5 pints of water a day,eat fresh fruit as snacks,no smoking,no drugs,and no alcohol.
Look after your body.
O,and take care xx
|

replied November 16th, 2006
Popcorn Urine
My aunt has a really bad case of "popcorn urine." she is slightly overweight and I do not know if that is what causes the smell. Is there any way to overcome this "popcorn urine" problem? The family is starting to become worried that this is a serious medical condition.
|

replied January 11th, 2007
Experienced User
Sodium Intake?
I have the same problem somewhat, though my urine normally smells like bacon. Lol it makes me feel so.. Odd for even admitting it, but it's driving me insane! It's such a wretched smell at times, then other times it goes away for no apparent reason. Even when I drank nothing but water (which sucked by the way) it would happen. I've been thinking it might have something to do with sodium, but it's so difficult to buy food with absolutely no sodium in it.. Plus the body needs a certain amount of sodium as it is. Other than the smell, everything else is normal when I pee.

Anyone know anything else about this? I did a recent search online and found nothing.
|

replied January 12th, 2007
Same Smelly Pee Problem Here.......
I did a search to see what the problem could be and came upon this site and am relieved to see how many other women have this problem. My pee has been smelling like almost anything I just ate or drank for quite a while now. I drink coffee, it smells like coffee, eat something garlicy, it smells like garlic, etc. It's kind of strange actually. I don't have any stds and my pap was fine. There's no other problem like with discharge or stinging. It's an embarrassing personal problem and I don't want anyone using the bathroom right after me because of the lingering odour. My husband jokes about how my pee smells so strong but I can't stand it anymore. Will be going to the doctor to get it checked out.
|

replied August 24th, 2011
Sounds like those who have not tested positve for a UTI might look into interstitial cystitis.I felt like I had a constant kidney and/or bladder infection(especially under stressful times).I have been on a probiotic for this and works in the (mucous)vaginal areas-one is called Jarrows Fem-dophilous.Another is Nature's Way/Reuteri(much cheaper).This helps tremendously with all those issues/uretha,bladder & vaginal pains,frequencies and odor.It took me years to figure this one out so,hope this helps~
|