Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Tiny Black Circles On Skin

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
I hope this is not cancer-related, but I didn't see another forum for skin conditions.

I just noticed today that on the backs of my legs I have several tiny black circles. They are about the size of a period and are hollow. That is, they are not filled in like a period but are ring shaped.

On my left leg, I also have something that appears to be similar to a mole but recently has started flaking. I don't know the backs of my legs very well, so I don't know how long i've had this mole. I discovered it recently when I started scratching it absent-mindedly.

I'm having a friend come over to help take pictures so you get a better idea of what i'm talking about.

I searched the internet for something similar, but I came up empty. If anyone has a clue, please let me know.

Btw, i've been unemployed since february and don't have medical insurance, so part of my goal here is to find an economical plan of attack.

P.S. I'm 40 years old.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 2nd, 2004
Here's a Picture
My friend never showed up to take the pictures, but I managed to take one myself. I've included a crop of the millimeter end of a ruler for scale, so the whole ring is a bit smaller than a millimeter in diameter.

Http://www.Pbase.Com/image/35886606.Origin al.Jpg

weird. This forum software insists on capitalizing the letter immediatly following a period, so I can't embed the picture. So just click the link, and you should be able to see it. I'm going to include the embedding code anyway, just in case the submit processes differently than the preview....
|

replied November 2nd, 2004
More Information
I have several of these just above the knee and the back side of each leg. I have no idea how long they've been there, since I don't normally see that part of my leg.
|

replied November 4th, 2004
Diagnosis
I have a diagnosis. The tiny circles are simply coiled up hairs. I discovered this by picking at one of them until it worked its way loose. Then it simply uncoiled. Unsure if I was seeing things right, I tried another. Same thing.
|