Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

What Pill(s) Do You Take to Get Rid of Migraines?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I had migraines about 3 years ago, and the doctors put me on periactian. It sustained my headaches. Now though, the migraines have come back, and seeing that periactian is only for kids, I can't use it any more, so I was just wondering, what pill(s) do you people out there take to rid of these awful things?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 21st, 2003
Experienced User
Meds
The prescript never worked for me, they jsut made me throw up. I take excedrin migrane. So far that's been the only thing to work.
Good luck!
|

replied November 11th, 2003
Medicine
It depends on how bad yours are. I have to take a shot in order to get rid of mine.
|

replied January 16th, 2004
Migrane Meds.
I have been getting migranes since I was 8. I had them up until I had children and then no headaches. Then, menopause, and ohhhh headaches. My Dr. Who is a great neurologist who just cares for headach patients prescribed imitrex. I take half of a 50 mg at onset. If not gone in 30 minutes take other half. I have been able to get rid of the migrane completely. I have a few sore muscles for a couple hours, but it all goes away.
|

replied January 16th, 2004
Experienced User
Re: What Pill(s) Do You Take to Get Rid of Migraines?
dobby07 wrote:
i had migraines about 3 years ago, and the doctors put me on periactian. It sustained my headaches. Now though, the migraines have come back, and seeing that periactian is only for kids, I can't use it any more, so I was just wondering, what pill(s) do you people out there take to rid of these awful things?

migraine or usually one sided headache is associated with nausea, vomiting, disturbance in vision for a while, hypersensitiveness to stimulus like light, noise etc. Is a recurrent condition occuring a the slightest pretext in certain individuals. Homeopathy has very good remedies to alleviate the episodes of headache and see that the incidence decreases in intensity and frequency over a period of time.

It is time you tried homeopathic medicine to get rid of your migraine.

|

replied February 5th, 2004
When I was pregnant I found that a can of coke and 2 tylenols got rid of my migrianes most effectively. I tooked the tylenol at the onset of my migraine (the aura) and then sipped the coke throughout the next few hours.
|

replied February 5th, 2004
None of the medications I tried worked for me. I tried percodan, immitrex and a few others. The only relief I could get was to take a gravol long acting (anti-nausea med) or a sleeping pill to knock me out. After sleeping I would awake with no migraine but I would be fuzzy brained for most of the day.

However after taking the herb feverfew (from the health food store) the migraines were reduced in frequency and intensity. Now they no longer plague me.
|

replied February 12th, 2004
Re:what Type of Pills
I have had headaches since I was 4 yrs old, I have tried everything out there.. It is just not taking a pill it is watching your diet as well, many foods will trigger a migraine such as chicken, chocolate, tea and citrus fruits. The only thing that I found to relieve my headaches was a bc powder or a goodys, however they are very hard on your stomache.. But they work.. I also get in the shower, with the setting as high as it will go( if you have a pulsing shower head) and as hot as I can stand, let that hit the base of your neck. Hope this helps
|

replied February 13th, 2004
Migraine
For migraine, there are no general pills. You have to try different pills in order to know which one work best without side effect in short term and long term. Before taking the pills, usually patient characteristic needed in example : age, height, weight, blood pressure, and how often the attacked was.

Regards,

|

replied April 2nd, 2004
Migranes Suck
I'm 15 and my doctor told me to take 800milla-grams of ib profin with a coke every time I get one I throw up and I get the tunnel vision in the begining as soon as u feel it starting chug some caffine and take ib profin when I went into the er twice they gave me and iv with morfine witch worked very well but my doctor doesnt want me on narcotics so I have also used this migrazone which works well
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov