Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms Forum

Numbness During Pregnancy (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I have had weird and scary symptoms with my pregnancy's. It fir
st starts off with my fingertips become numb, the numbness works its way up my arm to my face, my tounge, my nose. Meanwhile I am feeling lightheaded, seeing spots, sometimes I even become incoherent. With my first 2 preg. It happened more towards the middle to the end of the preg. But now it started right at the begining. My doctor has ran tests, suggested (in 1st preg) that it might have something to do with a pinch nerve but I don't think so. Looking for someone to tell me whats wrong?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Lisa Kitchen
|

replied October 12th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
Dear lisa,

have you ever heard of carpel tunnel syndrome ? The symptoms you are describing sound exactly like it. Many women suffer from this during pregnancy and usually suffer mild swelling of the feet and ankles aswell. There is a tube that the finger nerves run through that swell up. As you know swelling in pregnancy is very common and that is what causes it. It causes pressure and the blood supply to your fingers, arms and other body parts is reduced causing the numbness. It usually begins about 6 months into pregnancy. Don't take anti inflammatory medication to relieve it, you really need to discuss it with your doctor. The fact that it is making your whole face, tongue and nose numb, I would be taking this as quite serious. I hope your doctor can help you out.

Good luck...

.::suzy::.
|

replied December 20th, 2011
fingers went numb during pregnancy
i just had the same thing happen to me im 5 months pregnant and i was sitting down for lunch an starting eating my finger tips in my left hsnd started tingling like they fell asleep one by one then went numb soon my whole hand became numb then up my arm to my lips i looked it up an found this page i also thought i was having a stroke to
|

replied October 21st, 2003
Can you pinpoint when this is happening? I too am experiencing lightheadness and numbness, but I find its when I haven't eaten for a while so I think its caused by low blood sugar. My doc told me to eat 3 meals a day plus 3 snacks, and that seems to help. It could also be carpel tunnel. That causes numbness too.
|

replied October 21st, 2003
Can you pinpoint when this is happening? I too am experiencing lightheadness and numbness, but I find its when I haven't eaten for a while so I think its caused by low blood sugar. My doc told me to eat 3 meals a day plus 3 snacks, and that seems to help. It could also be carpel tunnel. That causes numbness too.
|

replied July 1st, 2004
Numbness, Incoherence
Lisa --
my wife described the same symptoms today (numbness in her hand, arm, face and then incoherence). Did you ever find out anything else about it? She said she thought that she was having a stroke.
Thanks!
|

replied July 25th, 2004
Numbness,incoherence
I am in my 8th week of pregnancy and began having these symptoms yesterday. My doctor says it probably hormones but it is very scary and stroke was what also entered my mind! Has anyone else gotten a specific cause for this happening?
|

replied July 25th, 2004
Numbness, Incoherence
She went to labor and delivery (5th month), and it was a holiday, so they were short on coverage and sent her to the er.
They monitored blood pressure, checked the baby on a monitor and did a urine sample. They said that migraines can cause restricted blood flow and lead to these type of syptoms. She had had a migraine that day, it was kind of a stressful day also. They told her that migraines are usually different during pregnancy (either better or worse than usual). They gave her baby aspirin and she hasn't had the problem since, besides slight numbness or swelling of the hands in the morning. When she later described that incident to her ob/gyn he said "did you have a migraine that day?", so he had seen it before.
She felt a headache coming on a week or so later and took another baby aspirin before any symptoms showed up.

We were pretty scared about it, but I get the idea there wasn't much they could do. It was a relief to at least have her talk to the doctor.

Good luck!
|

replied July 25th, 2004
Numbness And Incoherence
Thank you so much for your response! Yes, I had a migraine about an hour before the other symptoms began. I will talk to my doctor about the baby aspirin. Hope all is well with your wife's pregnancy.
Thanks again.
|

replied March 20th, 2008
numbness in pregnancy - lightheadedness
With my first two pregnancies, i would get very lightheaded and hot and shaky going into stores, or various places. Sometimes i thought i would pass out. Very scary. Since then I have discovered that I have chronic panic attacks. A panic attack can feel like a stroke or heart attack, where you experience numbness in the hands and feet, can be all on one side. If you start feeling it in your lips and face, this is because you are hyperventelating, and you may not even realise it. I am on my third pregnancy now, first trimester. Very sick , and am now experiencing numbeness in hands, rapid heart beat. Sometimes it can be triggered just from not eating well, or being nervous about taking care of the other two kids while i feel so ill. It can be very stressful. These could be panic attacks that you are experiencing. You can look them up online, for ways to overcome them, but you first need to know what they are...to help you.
|

replied March 12th, 2009
NUMBNESS IN ARMS & HANDS
I am also having these symptoms. This is my first pregnancy and I am 21 weeks. The pain is so bad that it wakes me up at night, with pins and needles and numbness through out my shoulders and hands. I called my doctor and he expained that it was common and not to worry. I am wear wrist splints now, thinking it might be related to carpal tunnel. And so far that is helping.
Good luck to you all.
|
Users who thank keeperofcody for this post: nicovitti 

replied May 20th, 2009
numbness on belly and leg
I am 25 weeks pregnant. About a week ago the right side of my belly started to go numb. Within a week the numb like sensation has spread to the right side of my back and down my right leg all the way to the toes. It not completely numb but my skin had the numb sensation and it is making me nervous. My baby moves all day long so I�m not sure if I should be freaking out. I see my perinatologist on Friday and will ask him but wanted to know if I was alone. I have no burning for rash like sensations at all. Help this is my 1st pregnancy and I am scared out of my mind.
|

replied March 30th, 2011
Did you ever find out what this was? I'm going into my 27 week, and am feeling the same exact thing. Numbness/ tingliness first in my fingers toes, then in my belly area, and now in my face. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.
|

replied September 24th, 2009
hello my wife is pregnant and has the numbness in the fingers arms and then a headache light headedness and incoherance. so we went to the er and they said it was a migraine ,wich sounded rediculous but the more i look online the more i find out this is pretty common. hope this helps
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
Pregnant, numbness in hands and face
Hi, my wife has similar symptoms she is 29 weeks pregnant, has had 2 occassions in the past week,where numbness has affected her hands then her face, tounge and throat, each time it was only for 15 minutes or so, switching from hand to face then the other hand aswell, then she gets a headache afterwards.
The first time was when she was eating mushroom soup, we thought it was perhaps an alergic reaction, the second time she was also just about to eat, but just a ham sandwich, we went to a walk in center, the doctor seemed to be baffled, told us if it happened again to go and see our regular hours gp. Does this compare to anyone elses experience????
|

replied October 24th, 2012
Numbness in hand and face 8 weeks pregnant
I am 8 weeks pregnant. Just had my this exact thing happen to me for the first time last night. Thought I was having a stroke. Very scary. Started as numbness in right hand then arm then up to my face and tounge and throat. Then had bad headache. I had may have had slight confusion and a little dimmed vision also but some of it could have just been nerves. Made me and husband very nervous. If you find out anything about this would love to know what caused it or what it is? Good luck to your wife.
|

replied October 24th, 2012
Numbness in hand and face 8 weeks pregnant
I am 8 weeks pregnant. Just had my this exact thing happen to me for the first time last night. Thought I was having a stroke. Very scary. Started as numbness in right hand then arm then up to my face and tounge and throat. Then had bad headache. I had may have had slight confusion and a little dimmed vision also but some of it could have just been nerves. And we had leftovers so I don't think it was anything I ate since I had the same thing the night before. Made me and husband very nervous. If you find out anything about this would love to know what caused it or what it is? Good luck to your wife.
|

replied April 13th, 2010
Numbness on left side under heart during pregnancy
I''m so glad that I came across this website because I''m experiencing similar symptoms as above. I am almost 7 months. My symptoms first started about 2 months ago with pain in my stomach, left side, behind my ribs, below my breast....mostly after I ate (anything). Now, the skin on my stomach has gone numb. It''s pretty painful too. It feels like a burning sensation sometimes. I don''t know what I should do? I have a doctors appointment in a few weeks, I guess I''ll just wait until then to find out what this is??? Anyone have any remedy''s to help?
|

replied April 20th, 2010
Numbness in face during pregnancy
I also have had strange numbness around my mouth with this pregnancy and my last two pregnancies. It isn''t inside my mouth -- it''s my cheeks and chin and upper lip to an extent. It usually happens when I am eating, but today it happened while I was just driving in my car. The only explanation my doctor had for me last time was that perhaps I was hyperventilating, but I really don''t think so! It''s not like I was gobbling up my food without stopping for breath. I''m glad to see I''m not alone in this but still wonder what the heck is going on!?
|

replied April 11th, 2012
relax
Relax my dear,u gonna be fine completely after giving birth.i had the same problems and u know what? mine was worse coz my face was swollen mostly my nose but got fyn after birth.Sherpherd
|

replied May 4th, 2010
Numbness in hands
I am at 16 weeks and I am already feeling the numbness in my fingers. I work at a computer all day so I can see why it would happen but I am afraid because it is happening so early that it will get worse down the line. I am glad that I have an idea of what is going on.
|

replied June 21st, 2010
Numbness
I am 6 and a half weeks pregnant first symptons were stroke like symptons i was told it was a complecated migraine, then i found out i was pregant and there treating it as the same thing, not convinced it is, keep getting dizzy and my whole left hand side goes totally numb, cant get rid of it its happening all the time, very frustrating. Really wanna know whats wrong with me.
|

replied June 27th, 2010
For everyone's concerns
Its okay everyone. I have been in Med school for 2 years and am 28 weeks pregnant. I kinked my back 3 days ago and have been having the exact same symptoms of numbness, and tingly feelings in the hands and feet. There's a lot of blood flowing through out your body, and with the extra oxygen being supplied to your baby it can cause you to freak out. We're all in this together our bodies are going through a lot for our little ones' and we'll make it through this.
|

replied August 20th, 2010
Im 33 weeks preggo and i usually loose partial vision before the onset of a migrain. Today driving my car i had tingling in my fingers that spread up my arm then started on my face. It scare the wits out of me i pulled over. It only lasted about 5 mins and i truely believe that it is all to do with a piched nereve in my neck. That explains all the symptoms i get. Will see how it goes, rest and no stress seem to keep it at bay Smile
|

replied November 10th, 2010
numbness in leg and back
i am having the same symptoms but i am only bout 6 weeks. i'm scared that this might be a sign that i am going to have a miscarriage. does anybody know if this can lead to a miscarriage?
|
12 >>
Quick Reply