Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Tmj-dizziness(bppv?) And Nausea (Page 1)

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
I clearly have tmj.(i clench). All the symptoms. However, one thing that puzzles me is that they all start with something like a bppv (positional vertigo). I get a full blown attck of vertigo out of nowhere and then the headache, nausea, dizziness, jawpain all come together. Does anybody have dizziness and nausea together with tmj? Something like bppv?
Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 7th, 2004
Hi! Yes, I have had dizziness and nausea also. It usually causes me anxiety too. The jaw being out of place can affect the ears, thus the equilibrium. Hope this helps. You are not alone.
|

replied November 16th, 2004
Yes! I have the same thing. You are definitely not alone. I have had tmj for several years but only recently have had the vertigo accompany it. I also get headaches and dizziness. My vertigo attacks come out of nowhere. I'm sitting at dinner and then all of a sudden, the room spins and I can't hear or see anything clearly. It lasts for about 5 or so minutes and then it's gone. I am usually loopy after that. My doctor is having me checked for meniere's disease. You might want to look into it and see if your doctor wants you to do the same. There are many websites that explain the symptoms. Just type in "meniere's disease" in the search bar and you will get a plethera of websites to browse. It's nice to know that someone out there knows what I am going through.
|

replied November 26th, 2004
Check Migrain Associated Vertigo, Too
Thanks for the reply.

I think I have tmj and migrain associated vertigo. Meniere's disease is also being checked. It is very hard but I am taking toprol for my dizziness and I think it does help. (you know, migrain does not always come with a headache!!)

migrain and tension headache can also come together so check everything even though it takes time and makes you frustrated.

Hang in there!!
|

replied May 26th, 2005
I had the dizziness for over a month... And I have found that it is relieved through massage. Specificly the scm muscles they are 2 muscles that start off at the mid/base of the neck and goes up the side of the neck and behind the ear. From increased tension in the jawmuscles; this muscle often forms trigger points and also becomes tense causing dizziness. Proper massaging of this muscle can bring almost immediate relief from dizziness. Be sure that you do it properly... There are many other elements involved in the neck and you don't want to irritate anything. I recommend a book called trigger point therapy workbook.
|

replied June 22nd, 2005
Re; Bppv & Tmj
Three years ago I was diagnosed with (bppv). I thought I was lossing my mind. It started with dizzy spells while I was driving. The spells became worse especially when I was driving on the interstate and would have to look to my left to merge into traffic. Then at night if I moved suddenly it would set a spell off and it would be "like the worst roller coaster ride in your life". I would wake up shaking and scared and the room would not stop spinning. I went to a ent Dr. Had a balance test done along with checking for sinus problems. I was diagnosed with the (bppv). I attened physical therapy for several months and was finally able to overcome it.
Three months ago I was diagnosed with tmj which has started my jaw joint ball to detoriate. I am currently wearing the splint at night. This help with the jaw pain because I became where I could only eat very soft food. After reading everyone's reply's on this page I know I am not alone.
Two days ago it started (the bppv) to bother me again driving. I talked to my therapist and she said it could all be related to the tmj and applying pressure to the ear canal. I took the suggestion of ednia963 under tmj & vertigo and tried bonnamine. This helped this afternoon and I will try it again. Thank you for reading this and know you are not alone and you are not crazy.

Jodevan
|

replied September 21st, 2005
I was told I have tmj, but sometimes the pain is there, sometimes it's not! What I have been experiencing though for the past 2 weeks is a constant head pressure, with ear fullness (asi if I was in high altitude), neck and shoulder strain, even sometimes my eyeballs hurt, and although I am not vomitting, I do feel a bit nauseous. I even feel tingly and cold in my hands and feet. It's just frustrating. I just want to be well! The doctors are no good- they just say I am stressed, and my dentist just wants me to wear a mouth guard. He said my jaw was still ok- just that the muscles are really strained- but that's all.
|

replied December 21st, 2008
nausea with tmj
I have suffered with tmj for 6 years. Tmj does cause dizziness, nausea and blocked ears. I live with these symptoms. The doctors are shamefully ignorant of the extent of symptoms tmj can cause.
|

replied December 23rd, 2008
dizziness, earache, jawpain and headaches
i am suffering from dizziness, earache, headache and severe jaw pain with tight jaw muscles spasm..its been almost 2 months im still suffering, Ent saw nothing wrong in my ears no infection etc..wot can i do? wots wrong with me? im in severe pain and dizzy all the time not able to relax and enjoy..going to chiropractor these days but i did'nt help..wot can i do? plz help
|

replied December 24th, 2008
tmj
please check out a book by Bernard Schatz on soft tissue mmassage. There is a chapter on tmj which may be helpful. I have seen him personally in the USA and he writes a lot of sense. I have had nothing but disbelief from doctors.
|

replied January 1st, 2009
I was getting vertigo that i associated to tmj too. My naturopath put me on something called neurapas to help balance my mood and for whatever reason it really helped with the diziness. Might be something to loo into. Good luck
|

replied January 5th, 2009
dizziness, earache, jaw bone pain, neck pain, fever and headache
i am taking meclizine, since last 2 days due to severe dizzy spells..But still at night i am not able to sleep..Sad whenever i fell asleep i get dizziness and some weird sounds i can't sleep properly every night..i have pain in my jaw bones, tired jaws, pain on side of head esp..right side..i never sleep on left side..dizzy all the time..im worried..Neurologist didn't found anything wrong..did an MRI..and he will do ENG test and ultrasound in his clinic next month..im worried..dunno wots my problem is? Sad somebody plz help me? im crying
|

replied January 5th, 2009
re:dizziness etc.
Do you feel as if your bite has changed? When I got suddenly sick with tmj I realised that my teeth didn't quite meet in the same place. if your jaw is not quite right this will cause muscles to spasm around the jaw, head neck, shoulders etc This can cause the symptoms you have now. You could try gently massaging your face particularly on the muscles that move the jaw. Please try and look at the book I suggested. Sometimes we have to do our own research. Try and think what may have happened before you got ill. Did you have dental work or were you under a lot of stress? My tmj was caused by several factors but stress was the final factor that caused my jaw to go out of alignment. Its possible that these symptoms are caused by other maladies but tmj could definitely be what you have.
|

replied January 6th, 2009
I don't know wots causing all these pains.i did'nt had any dental issues never been to any dentist after my childhood.I had severe dizziness issues 11 years ago cause of cervical rib spondylitis..I felt dizzy sometimes since then but was improved by doin neck exercises for it,but now after so many years one day i had severe vertigo and from then onwards i never felt good..now im suffering from dizziness and all pains..docs did'nt found anything wrong in me..im worried..wots my prob is? Sad..don't know if i have tmj or not..wot can i do? Sad
|

replied January 6th, 2009
im still doin neck exercises, applying heat pads, doin balancing exercises told by my ENT and neurologist but it did'nt help..im still feeling dizzy..taking meclizine for dizziness but it also did'nt help dat much only little help. wot can i do..i don't want this dizziness everytime..i don't want to depend on anti-vertigo tablets..i want to recover from all these issues.. Sad want to know wot my real prob..is dat causing dizziness etc..Sad
|

replied January 7th, 2009
Let the doctors carry on with the tests as they might find the cause if its not tmj. How did your last illness cause vertigo as you mentioned rib? In the meantime start the gentle massage on the painful muscles - do not be too rough or it could make you feel worse. If you feel at all nauseous eat a fruit bar. I find this really helps! There are dentists who do splints to help realign a jaw but this is not a road you should go down yet if at all.
|

MY MRI reports came out normal..nothing wrong in my brain etc everything is fine..minor sinuses only which i knew before also but its no big deal..my last illness was due to cervical rib spondylitis and was treated by homeopathy medicine and cervical neck exercises..i do dat same exercises everday but it did'nt help this time..i dunno wots wrong this time..my dizziness is not ending..dunno wots causing all this aches and dizziness? im worried i want to know my problem so it can be treated..doc..will do ENG test in his clinic in feb..im worried coz this test is scary i heard it from peoples and websites..im really scared of ENG test..Sad.. thanks for ur reply..i really appreatiate it..i was fine till oct 2008 but since then im suffering through all these months and still suffering..how can i get rid of this dizziness..Sad and when..im sad...my day to day life is ruined coz of it..
|

replied February 7th, 2012
Hey
I feel your pain, ive had dizzines for four years its hell!!! I got an MRI nothing found I take meclizne every day for 4 years, do head exercises but yet I still have it, now they say its either allergies or tmj? Im hoping I find an answer I worry everyday about it.
|

MY MRI reports came out normal..nothing wrong in my brain etc everything is fine..minor sinuses only which i knew before also but its no big deal..my last illness was due to cervical rib spondylitis and was treated by homeopathy medicine and cervical neck exercises..i do dat same exercises everday but it did'nt help this time..i dunno wots wrong this time..my dizziness is not ending..dunno wots causing all this aches and dizziness? im worried i want to know my problem so it can be treated..doc..will do ENG test in his clinic in feb..im worried coz this test is scary i heard it from peoples and websites..im really scared of ENG test..Sad.. thanks for ur reply..i really appreciate it..i was fine till oct 2008 but since then im suffering through all these months and still suffering..how can i get rid of this dizziness..Sad and when..im sad...my day to day life is ruined coz of it..
|

If the ENG test can help solve what you suffer from and get some treatment it will be worth doing. Dizziness is really nasty as I suffer from time to time with it due to my tmj. I have been very ill but am now living a fairly normal life. Please dont give up hope that you will too.
|

replied January 9th, 2009
Thanks alot for sharing ur thoughts..I understand wot u had gone through..Dizziness sucks..I hate it..can't live life normally with dizziness..im sad..maybe it is TMJ which is bothering me..dunno exactly..i don't have any dental insurance so im not able to go to dentist for checkup..Sad ..I want to know whether it is TMJ or not..I am taking Meclizine every night at sleep time without it i can't sleep at night Sad.. but for how long i depend my life on meclizine, i want to get well soon..i hate medicines..Sad..im really helpless..Sad
|
Quick Reply