Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Double Pregnancy?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
Please help me shed some light on this situation: my boyfriend insists that you can become pregnant...While you're already pregnant and you'll just have the second child after the first (however long the distance is between the first and second conception). I think this is totally bogus but he claims that his ex-girlfriend read it in a respectable baby book. Is this possible?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 27th, 2004
Experienced User
Hell no that is not true you can not get pregnant while your already pregnant your egg is already fertilized.
|

Extremely eHealthy
That is not true, you can get pregnant after you give birth to the first baby and an egg is released to be fertilized. No respectable baby book would have something like that in it...Not even an disrespectful one. That is just plain crazy.

-kristin
|

Experienced User
I can honestly say I have never heard of this. There are so many reasons why this physically couldn't happen, here's a couple off the top of my head...

First off, once you're pregnant the hormones in your body prevent ovulation, without ovulation there won't be an egg to fertilize, so no pregnancy.

Second, your cervix closes tight and your body creates a mucus plug so nothing can get in or out of your uterus...If the sperm can't get in they can't do their job.
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Hahah no sorry but hes an idiot.. But he got a laugh outta me
|

replied November 4th, 2004
Experienced User
I must concur with the others...But I must wonder, because I have read numerous stories of women who had no idea they were pregnant because they still experienced their monthly cycle - heck I read of a lady who didn't know she was pregnant until she went into labor! Of course the child was born 4 months premature, but it's the principle of the matter.

If a woman is pregnant but still bleeds as normal every month, that would mean that the lining of her uterus is being shed. If that was the case, anything implanted would go with the blood, wouldn't it? And bleeding outside of spotting during pregnancy is usually an indication of miscarriage. And also if the woman was having regular periods during pregnancy, that would mean she was ovulating and that conception could occur again with unprotected sex...But that obviously is not possible.

So to answer your question, no it is not possible to conceive a second child while already pregnant, unless your body is really really screwed up.

Scaredbaka
|

replied November 4th, 2004
Experienced User
There is no possible way you can become pregnant when you already are pregnant. You stop ovulating when you get pregnant. Laughing Laughing Laughing
|

replied November 5th, 2004
Experienced User
Wow thats something to make you think lol but I have to agree, if a woman is pregnant she will not ovulate. Although there are the occassional women who do bleed it doesnt nesciserily mean they are ovulating. I think its called unavulatory cycles.

>> stephanie <<
|

replied January 21st, 2009
yes--you can
I am ovulating and I am 8 weeks pregnant. I am taking 2 hormones to maintain the pregnancy. My weekly ultrasounds have proven ovulation...twice!
|

replied April 15th, 2009
yes you can
this just happened to me...i was convince it wasnt real, however i got pregnant in December found out i was pregnant in Feb.(was still getting my period and taking the pill) then i had a miscarriage in the beginning of march...went to the hospital Monday and found out i'm 8 weeks pregnant, which means i got pregnant while i was pregnant. i got pregnant with my second one aroundthe time i found out i was pregnant.(also while at the hospital they had to do 3 different ultra sounds because they couldnt find this baby...it's rare but can happen. (and the doctor told me if i was still pregnant withthe first one i would have hadto choose between carrying only one of them.)
|

replied June 4th, 2009
It is possible. It's very rare but it can happen 2 different ways. One way is that a women can ovulate more than once a month and drop multiple eggs. Some of these women continue to ovulate after they get pregnant. The other way is they could have a birth defect called uterus didelphys which means double uterus. These women have 2 uteruses, 2 cervices, and something called a septate vagina which is a vagina that looks completely normal on the outside, but inside there is tissue going down the middle making 2 holes. Health class doesnt teach you everything. I suggest making sure you know what you're talking about before saying anything is impossible.
|

replied October 1st, 2009
I have the condition with a double uterus. My DOCTOR told me that is VERY possible to become pregnant while pregnant. The conditions would be rare enough.I would have to ovulate while pregnant, but it IS possible!!
|

replied October 30th, 2009
Superfetation, or conceiving while pregnant is extremely rare, only about ten cases of double pregnancy are on record. So yes it is possible to become pregnant while pregnant but extremely extraordinary. The most current account of a woman who while already being pregnant again became pregnant can be found at:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ReproductiveH ealth/pregnant-woman-pregnant-julia-groven burg-conceives-consecutively/story?id=8656 369
|

replied December 15th, 2009
curious
I have what is called a uterus didelphys, and i was wondering if anyone knows if i were to get pregnant would i still have a period from the other uterus that is not pregnant?
|

replied January 15th, 2010
Superfertation
This is happening to me!! I had a miscarriage (6/7weeks - twins) last weekend and my hcg levels keep increasing but they can't find the baby because it is still to small and according to my hcg levels I'm between 3 and 4 weeks pregnant! This is so weird...I'm so confused and doctors are clueless.
|

replied July 11th, 2010
Double pregnancy
It is called a double pregnancy and it is legit. What happens is women usually stop ovulating when they become pregnant. In rare cases a woman doesn't stop ovulating and a second pregnancy is possible if fertilization occurs on a second egg.
|

replied April 4th, 2011
I was 8 weeks pregnant and foung out it was a egtopic pregnany and it split my tube so i had to had a DNC to get it removed on Dec 18th 2008 in febuary of 2009 i found out that i was 13 weeks pregnant and my daughter was born on sept 16th 2009 2 days less then 9 months from my surgery she was 9 lbs 3 oz and appeared to be overdue so ive come to the conclusion that i got pregnant with her with i was already pregnant with my other baby that didnt make it. the odds of this happening are very slim but it does happen. when you get pregnant you are not only pregnant for 9 months there is some time to conceve the baby i think you are actually pregnant for 10 months
|

replied November 15th, 2011
This is possible actually. if you have uterus didelphys. that means you have two uterus's and two cervex's.
|