Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Post Gastric Bypass Stomach Pain (Page 1)

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
I had gastric bypass in april 2004 all was fine until 9 weeks ago I began having l upper quadrant pain constant sometimes severe, I have tried all sorts of antacids, I had an xray, ct scan and endoscopy,all were normal, all my labs are also normal has anyone had this sort of pain ? It dosent matter if I have food in my stomach or not, the md has now ordered a blood test to check for h-pilori, if you are familier with pain on the left just under the rib cage please let me know I am going crazy here in california
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper DAILYDATA
|
Users who thank DAILYDATA for this post: Hermis 

replied October 28th, 2004
Urq Pain
Sound like what I have going on but in the upper right. I had a gastric by pass in 2002. Then a month after started getting a severe pain in upper right side. They say it's chronic pancreatitis. And are send me to see a pain Dr. Yes I have been living with the pain since 2002. And in and out of the hosp ever since. Good luck
|

replied November 19th, 2004
Stomach Ulcers Post Bypass
I read your question and I had the exact same pain. I am two weeks post-op from repair of a perforated stomach (pouch) ulcer that almost killed me. The ulcer perforated and went into my liver. Please get to a doc that will listen to you as soon as possible. I almost died.

Kathy
|

replied November 23rd, 2004
I'm sorry to here you have had so many problems are you o.K now? That must have been scary.
Good luck in the future I hope from now on you feel better and better. April
|

replied December 1st, 2004
Post Gastric Bypass Stomach Pain
I am glad I came across this website! I had gastric bypass surgery in jan 2002. Everything went fine and it was the best thing i've ever done. Then, about a year ago, I started having severe pain in the upper stomach...In by where the ribs split. It would only last a few hours or a day but it would hurt so bad that my back and kidneys would start to ached. But then it would go away for anywhere from a few days to 3 months so I ignored it. About 3 weeks ago, it started up again with a vengeance and kept spiking all day long for 3 days straight. Once day I started to tear up at the office so I went to the doctor. Of course, by the time I got there, the pain had dropped down again so it didn't hurt all that bad. My bloodtests showed that my lypase (sp?) count was more than double what it should be and I was told to come in and have a re-test done if the pain shot up again. It did, so I went in and had a second blood test. The pain went away that evening and hasn't been back since. I went in to see the doc the day before thanksgiving to discuss the results of the 2nd test and this time, the count was normal. They took a third blood test that day and scheduled an mri for the day after t-day. (he thought I had a blocked duct in the pancreas, where my gallbladder had been.) I just talked to the doc yesterday. My mri is fine, my 3rd blood test was fine so it has been diagnosed as a pancreatic stone and I was told to just watch it and go in if the pain returned. The pain has been gone since the night of the 2nd blood test...Which is great...But since I have had the same pain in the past--just not for such a long streak--i am wary that it will return.

Dailydata, it is too late to make this a long story short, but I am wondering how you are doing and if you've found out anything new?
|

replied July 12th, 2011
rounding up my buddies! need post ops 1998 - 2004 2004-2008
Hi there. I am trying to gather an unofficial database which I need to manage the actual names of the persons, but it would not be in any forum accessible through the internet.

As you must be keenly aware, those of us who are long past our op dates have come to learn many many things that were decided by committee to simply withhold from us. The reasons were not that they weren't material or necessary for our best changes, but the industry was in a race for insurance support, and if they told us th etruth about many things it would lead to the natural progression, which you situation is so typical, because regular medicine doesn't often know how to look at us, and cut and run surgeons are like the hammer that can only see everything that looks like a nail, but being a hammer, everythign they see looks like a nail. So to a surgeon, they want to cut first often.

There is so much information, when you pay for the high dollar subscriptions, to read the studies the docs get. They are difficult to interpret, and expensive, but highly informative.

Please let me know if I could count on you to speak to me off any public forum, either email, or phone at some point, and discuss the information I am seeking to prove by a group whose answers are verifiable.

We are the best source of information, but often, information is only looked at through studies funded by instrument makers, and the industries profiting from the study being favorable. This industry was not thrilled when data surfaced from multiple locations, where it was hands free of their influence, and the data is quite startling. And people at the post op period are out in the cold if we do not take specific actions when the time comes, and things you don't know today, create problems in your body that is different than the average person.

Trust me, nothing says scary like thinking you are having a stroke, ambulance arrives, you aren't, but they get you in the ambulance, and insert an IV, run EKG, pulse BP the list. And then five large men towering over you as you lay on a gurney, parked still, and they are looking at your results, numbers, and they are so different than the normal people, they scratch their heads. They do not know how to understand what they see. YOu say, well that is just an EMT, but trust me, when you are dying, you will take an EMT and want them to know that bariatric patients are different.

Ulcers are common for many. The old stomach I was told is still working, just tacked up, tied back in later in the plumbing, and that was it. Now I learn that well, over time, these old stomachs can com loose from their spot, shrink from never expanding, and all of that stomach acid? Normally washed, diluted, utilized by our eating process, well, it still is there being made and now they are finding that there are some issues where it develops bleeding ulcers, cancers or tumors, and the diagnosing is difficult. I am no doctor, but I read a lot, so I try to retain and repeat as accurately as I learned.

Also, I am seeking to change what I discovered in my dealings with a national association that has been the plotter, planner, lobbyist, PR person, and I am having an issue where this industry has taken what we saw first as the quasi joke of political correctness, where the housekeeper is the domestic engineer, garbage truck operators, are sanitation engineers, and you get my point.

Then came the use of repetition of words in politics, where a form of brainwashing takes place where talking points go out with buzz words, and with the talkings heads, and everyone vying for attention, the point is, things are now being called what they are not, simply to create a mental relationship to words long defined differently to us.

I do wonder when our entire government will figure out that you can't worship all aspects of every business in free enterprise where it also much retain and opertes by a large faith benefit of the public trust, but yet, unlike the days then the public trust was defined, and those with a power advantage over us ordinaries, were held to a higer standard. Now it is more about the appearance of held to a higher standard.

I dont' want to wear you out (I have neuro complications from my long term nutritional deficiencies misrepresented, and under represented, and in myparticular case for other reasons, plain lied about. I was meant to go off, hope for the best, but if I got sick, not have any idea that I should go back and look at the surgery to see if there was any root cause for symptoms which conveniently match up with dozens and dozens of other health conditions.

But I have a real issue of the use of MORBIDLY, or COMORBIDITIES, and the reason is this. As the average person, we all have a predisposed idea of a mental connection to the word morbid used anywhere.

Now, if you see a person who is overweight, and they are identified by their ideal weight, no person had offered any adjusted math equasion for the post operative patient, most of whom will be carrying actual weight, but with as much as 10-20-30 pounds of just skin. Not fat, not muscle, and when you have a person think they aren't at goal, if you weigh the skin, they might just be where they should sit.

I stayed settled at my normal weight, same as my whole life, but the last time I weighed 160, I wore a 10-12 womens or 11 junors jean. This time, at 160, I wear a 6 to 8 jean. I had a trauma from a long term issue, and it kicked in a bad mental connection to food being related to the thing that had such a painful effect on me. So I dropped another 30 pounds.

But when you realize I was a size 8 at 135 to 140 for a period of anorexia noisted on me by an idiot person, point is I am not 128, a little anorexic but trying to eat and force. But for me at 128 my arms dont' have far before I look like a POW. Bones po;;ing out all over. These are the kinds of things I don't want to have as some public forum. I would like to set up a secure access web site, where patients are assigned a digital key when they log in and record anything they want from a weight day, pain, and I want to upload medical information I can get permissions to put up in a closed environment so everyone that wants to be in that 80% still alive 13 years post op are in it.

Knowledge is power. And this industry has no incentive to impart "real" knowledge to us because for one, they say they care about but, I have documents where they are batting around that a certain amount of persons who lose their cognitive abilities, something all too common, and it can be from something as simple as one specific nutrient they do not test in, but because this is all nutrition related, we need to start sharing odd symptoms which the doctors call 'anecdotal". Amazes me how they will quote their own anecdotal info to suit them, but let you present some and off with yoru head! LOL

The kind that bothers me is that we have an increased suicide rate post op. 58% greater chance we will.

We have increased death rates by a new list of things that are cheaper to treat because they usually aren't and that is why we croak. But accidental deaths. They offer this anecdotal information at the bottom with their opinions on the actualmedical data. Followed by, more studies are warranted. Yet in 8 years, I can't find a single test on that aspect, but they ahve sliced up the data that didn't fit what they had promised the insurance industry, and so they had to come up with a reason why. They think it is their controlling the data to keep it pristine. I wonder if I am in there until I got really sick, and then I was given falsified labs so I wouldn't know what was wrong, and he hoped i wouldn't return because each contact threatened to expose some really bad deeds he had done which would cost his license. I was the typical consumer, and with these surgeries, we are consumers. And if they don't present full risk disclosures, they are failing us, and there are laws that govern that, which I am currently seeking to make some use of to see what we can get done.

But mostly, I want the phrase "morbidly obese" gone. It connects every person to a word that means different things in our dictionary and the medical lexicon. There it just means antoher thing that may be related to a larger issue. It doesn't mean that we are about to die. And you know, I pee mypants each time I sneeze while walking, and that happens to all of my skinny friends, but they have handed that one to everyone for being fat due to abdominal wall pressure. Well I have no pressure now, but leak like a sive (?)sp. LOL

But that was not anything to qualify me for insurance. I do not want to set up a cheerleading site, nor do I want to harp on this like it shoudln't be done. I happen to be a person who believes each of us has the right to do whatever we want with our body and I wouldn't seek to prevent a person who may need such to save their life. I was not in that group. 39, no former pregnancies, no surgeries, never more than a needle prick for the 3 stitches from when the knife slipped as I cut the turkey, and Care Now sewed it up.

But when I got my records, and saw how sick I had been represented to the 100% pay insurance, I was pretty peeved.

So I hope to set up a place for unbiased and unvarnished information, where more importantly, people who dont' know things that I have learned in the litigation process, I can share with others. And at least show them where to go look it up, the names of the tests you have to be your own advocate and ask for with discretion of course. But for example, I know I am anemic. And my B12 I had slowed on my shots for a month or more, out of syringes, and couldn't figure out why I couldn't breath for 4 days. Well I knew that a deficiency in B12 and Folate and Iron, is a magic combo to allow homocysteine levels to rise, causing pulmonary empolisms, MIs, strokes, any arterial issue, and related to clotting, and when the anemia has gotten so bad, the red blood cells get all funky sizes, and they just can't take as much ozygen to my body and organs. and for some, that can lead to organ failure.

This isn't meant to scare so much as get everyone's attention. Newbies have no clue about life after if you have not planned for the first year of severely low nutrition, and depression that goes with, and then you get the lift by weight losses. But if you have not had the same scare put into you that the heart surgeons puts into his patient that is still smoking drinking, etc. red meats, the works, the heart doctor pulls no punches and says, if you keep this up, you will have a massive MI in a year at the reate you are going.

Bariatrics will not do that. You are told nonchalante about nutrition, but notice (back to my issue with naming) your early documents when you were first operated on. Look and see if you see any mention on th ethings that are dietary information, food related, but they do not call it diet anything. They give them the name of the word "Nutrition" in the title. But it is diet. Nutrition is about the actual nutrients including protein. And if nobody tells you that we are prone to anemia, B12 and folate deficiency, thus setting up that hihger homocysteine, and if you don't know to pay attention, you could end up like one lady on OH.com who was telling all about her blood clot issue. I listened as I read, and I knew what I was hearing. They covered saying they hadn't given her any heparin to prevent them. Well, not many walk away from a huge clot in her face, only to end up with 5 on her lungs. Lucky girl. But you know, had she been told that your vitamins and minerals and micronutrients are as vital to you as water, and if you get lazy, as we all do, you can pay the price that will remove your joy over your weight loss!

I would love yoru feedback. Hope this sends my email to you to reply to me! If not, you know what they say cowboys say. Well if you want to email me to that location, and it isn't yeehaw! nhbc.genamlc@
Don't want to put the whole for those web crawlers!

It has been a while so hope you are better. I also hope you will at least let me include you in the database so if there is something large that comes down the pike and those who were operated on the longest period are in front if that happens, and I wanted to be able to send out a notice to everyone.

Also, if you ever start feeling bone pain? Get your D and Calcium checked, and just take some d anyway.
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
living not givin up
I am happy I found this site. I never thought that there was anyone like me out there. Hi my name is stace and I am 35yrs young and wanna live tell it's my time to go. I had my bypass in 2005. I have had a few surgery's sence then.Then in 2009 something attacked my liver. My 15yr old son came home from school and found me I was so yellow I was glowing my eyes were wide open and there was stuff coming out my mouth. My liver levels were well one was 13500 and the other was 12500 and my amonia was 4500. I know it was bad I was in a coma for a week in that week I also got a fever of 106. they packed me on ice my family came to say good bye. The so called dr's did not have a clue what got me sick what a shock lol. They did not know if I would ever wake up or if I did what shape I would be in.They knew i had lots of brain dammage just didn't know what parts it hit.I did wake up I had to learn to talk,walk,feed my self.It took time I have short term memory loss I can remember years ago real well but dont ask me any thing about today or yesturday I wont remember anything.The dr were real adamit about that this had nothing to do with the surgery at all.My mom ask all kind of ?'s and they said they were sure that it had nothing to do with it but they had no answeres for anyhting.I also had very high levels of coper in me they could not explane anything. When I had my byopsey of my lever the nures came in and was so shocked I said what is somethbing wrong? She said no she just was exspecting to see a vegtabull in the bed.I asked why? She said she has never seen anyone still alive after levels that high.I said well now you have she said how can you joke aroundI said I haven't been a real church goer but for some reason I was still here.I wound up being in the hospital from may of 09 to dec 31 09 243 times in total liver failer Not sapose to live everytime. I went a bunch more times then finally in march of 2010 I went in liver failer again and they were going to take another byopsey and I wasall ready to go and the dr came in and said we wont be doing it. I said why is the operating room full? My mom was with me and the dr said well we can't because you don't have enough lever left. I said how much do I have? He didn't want to answer me. So I said I well not give up so just tell me. He finally did with some help from my mom.He said that I had less then 10 percent of my lever left and If I went in total lever failer again I would most likelly not make it to the hospital. I would not see my son go in to 10th grade or 11th and diffinetly would not make it to his graduation.That he had very little very little hope for that. I said well If thats the case I want to get out of here now and I said you know you have said meny times way to meny times that I should not be here and I have proven you wrong every time and i well continue to do so and I said well you have writen me off so discharge me now and I wont be back. The only way I would be over my dead body. He left I got dressed got my stuff together and a nurse walked in and said she had my papers and took out the iv and I left. I have not gone back.That was march 14th 2010 I have had nothing happen with my liver my levels have been real good. I do have good days and bad but I have had more good then bad....Until three days ago. Out of the blue I was shopping and I went so stiff I could not talk I studderd,I could not move my arms froze sticking stright out,my legs would not bend stuck out,then I just shuck,my brain was here but i thought i would say something and I guess I didn't My memory is gone.MY husband took me to the er I guess I really didn't wanna go and I got a tude.When they took my blood pressure it was high then my temp was good then my pulse it was 179 the dr came in and thought he knew what was wrong and he ordered blood test and came in and said that my calseeum was dangerously low I was admetid and geven alot of calseaum and the ? was asked alot how did this happen and what do I do now? and what a surprise the dr had no idea what happened and then I think this is as low as I ever felt he said that i might not get the feeling back in my legs or hands and I might not be able to walk again and there is more brain damage and he has no clue what to do. So now i am wheel chair bound and given no real good out come.They discharged me and now I can't really move and home bound and have to go through therapy again and my husband and son have to take care of me until The pca and nurse come. also I cant go out unless my husband and son are home cause we dont have a ramp so they have to carry me down the stairs. And ramps are not cheap. What am i sapose to do? How am I sapose to feel? They had alot of nerve to ask me I really could not belive they asked me if I had any feeling or thoughts of killing myself.I said no and if I I wanted to give up I would have 2yrs ago.Why would I have fought for 2yrs to just give up don't understand I don't give up I have a 17yr old son why the hell would I hurt him? why would I hurt my husband?my family thats not me my opion again my opion thats a coward. Well thank you for letting me say my story. If this can help anyone great if anyone has ? I will try to answer.If anyone has any clue or opions for me I will take it. thank you a bunch stacy
|

replied August 12th, 2011
I have to ask, did you take supplements regularly? And did you get your nutritional levels checked with your doctor regularly?
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
living not givin up
I am happy I found this site. I never thought that there was anyone like me out there. Hi my name is stace and I am 35yrs young and wanna live tell it's my time to go. I had my bypass in 2005. I have had a few surgery's sence then.Then in 2009 something attacked my liver. My 15yr old son came home from school and found me I was so yellow I was glowing my eyes were wide open and there was stuff coming out my mouth. My liver levels were well one was 13500 and the other was 12500 and my amonia was 4500. I know it was bad I was in a coma for a week in that week I also got a fever of 106. they packed me on ice my family came to say good bye. The so called dr's did not have a clue what got me sick what a shock lol. They did not know if I would ever wake up or if I did what shape I would be in.They knew i had lots of brain dammage just didn't know what parts it hit.I did wake up I had to learn to talk,walk,feed my self.It took time I have short term memory loss I can remember years ago real well but dont ask me any thing about today or yesturday I wont remember anything.The dr were real adamit about that this had nothing to do with the surgery at all.My mom ask all kind of ?'s and they said they were sure that it had nothing to do with it but they had no answeres for anyhting.I also had very high levels of coper in me they could not explane anything. When I had my byopsey of my lever the nures came in and was so shocked I said what is somethbing wrong? She said no she just was exspecting to see a vegtabull in the bed.I asked why? She said she has never seen anyone still alive after levels that high.I said well now you have she said how can you joke aroundI said I haven't been a real church goer but for some reason I was still here.I wound up being in the hospital from may of 09 to dec 31 09 243 times in total liver failer Not sapose to live everytime. I went a bunch more times then finally in march of 2010 I went in liver failer again and they were going to take another byopsey and I wasall ready to go and the dr came in and said we wont be doing it. I said why is the operating room full? My mom was with me and the dr said well we can't because you don't have enough lever left. I said how much do I have? He didn't want to answer me. So I said I well not give up so just tell me. He finally did with some help from my mom.He said that I had less then 10 percent of my lever left and If I went in total lever failer again I would most likelly not make it to the hospital. I would not see my son go in to 10th grade or 11th and diffinetly would not make it to his graduation.That he had very little very little hope for that. I said well If thats the case I want to get out of here now and I said you know you have said meny times way to meny times that I should not be here and I have proven you wrong every time and i well continue to do so and I said well you have writen me off so discharge me now and I wont be back. The only way I would be over my dead body. He left I got dressed got my stuff together and a nurse walked in and said she had my papers and took out the iv and I left. I have not gone back.That was march 14th 2010 I have had nothing happen with my liver my levels have been real good. I do have good days and bad but I have had more good then bad....Until three days ago. Out of the blue I was shopping and I went so stiff I could not talk I studderd,I could not move my arms froze sticking stright out,my legs would not bend stuck out,then I just shuck,my brain was here but i thought i would say something and I guess I didn't My memory is gone.MY husband took me to the er I guess I really didn't wanna go and I got a tude.When they took my blood pressure it was high then my temp was good then my pulse it was 179 the dr came in and thought he knew what was wrong and he ordered blood test and came in and said that my calseeum was dangerously low I was admetid and geven alot of calseaum and the ? was asked alot how did this happen and what do I do now? and what a surprise the dr had no idea what happened and then I think this is as low as I ever felt he said that i might not get the feeling back in my legs or hands and I might not be able to walk again and there is more brain damage and he has no clue what to do. So now i am wheel chair bound and given no real good out come.They discharged me and now I can't really move and home bound and have to go through therapy again and my husband and son have to take care of me until The pca and nurse come. also I cant go out unless my husband and son are home cause we dont have a ramp so they have to carry me down the stairs. And ramps are not cheap. What am i sapose to do? How am I sapose to feel? They had alot of nerve to ask me I really could not belive they asked me if I had any feeling or thoughts of killing myself.I said no and if I I wanted to give up I would have 2yrs ago.Why would I have fought for 2yrs to just give up don't understand I don't give up I have a 17yr old son why the hell would I hurt him? why would I hurt my husband?my family thats not me my opion again my opion thats a coward. Well thank you for letting me say my story. If this can help anyone great if anyone has ? I will try to answer.If anyone has any clue or opions for me I will take it. thank you a bunch stacy
|

replied August 30th, 2011
I had the Gastric Bypass in June of '09. I have been in and out of the hospital ever since almost dying 4 times. Please feel free to contact me
|

replied September 1st, 2011
ABDOMINAL PAIN
I just had gastric bypass on August 9, 2011. This tuesday i ate 2 ounces of cream of tomatoe soup and started having pains on the left side of my abdomen. Today is thursday and i am still having the pains. I have been taking prilosec and pepcid. I am pretty terrified about now as even a sip of water causes the pain to repeat. I am only doing water and protein shake but not getting the volume i need. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
|
Users who thank MariaZ for this post: Barb777 

replied July 18th, 2012
Reply to your problem, wow all too familiar...
If this acts up & still comes & goes then you need to find a gastroentrologist to order an upper & lower GI with contrast to rule out out anything. An endoscopy or colonoscopy doesn't always show what your intestines, & other pertinant organs, etc... small bowel like they thought I may have had & other organs will need to show. Well, it turnes out the Upper GI showed up okay but this pain was LILTERAALY killing me, I seriously wanted to die. Gas pains NEVER have been this bad excepy recently after I had my surgery to repair old scar tissue(abdominal exploratory laparascopy.The Cat Scan with contrast showed something was twisted or herniated however as I stated the Upper GI showed everything was running smoothly. I ate like an hour before this pain once again started ALL OVER AGAIN!!! Sucks!!!So looks like I'm going to have to go through some more CRAP because I cannot tolerate this pain any longer. When the do an Upper GI you can see for yourself on the exray screen while you are standing if it is running smoothly. The Doctor that is ion the Exray room will be telling you what to do. If it's running smoothly it should only take under 30 minutes after you start drinking the barium(yucky). Have you vomited or are you just nauseated??? I have vomited a few times since I've been back home from surgery but mostly just like somebody has hit me with a life threatening blow to the abnomin & it wont let up sometimes for hours at a time!!! If you need to & the pain is more than you can tolerate, go to ER, they will order a cat scan with contrast & maybe a plain old exray to start out with first. OMG be patient, they wont be in no hurry to administer you anything for pain until they find the problem, the test cannot be done after pain meds are given. Hope things get better, do not ignore this, it could be life threatening. Read some of the testimonials. Gastrac bypass can kill you if something goes wrong. God Bless & prayers to you. By the way I had my gastric bypass in '05. I was 280, now I'm 115.

Lori
|

replied July 18th, 2012
If this acts up & still comes & goes then you need to find a gastroentrologist to order an upper & lower GI with contrast to rule out out anything. An endoscopy or colonoscopy doesn't always show what your intestines, & other pertinant organs, etc... small bowel like they thought I may have had & other organs will need to show. Well, it turnes out the Upper GI showed up okay but this pain was LILTERAALY killing me, I seriously wanted to die. Gas pains NEVER have been this bad excepy recently after I had my surgery to repair old scar tissue(abdominal exploratory laparascopy.The Cat Scan with contrast showed something was twisted or herniated however as I stated the Upper GI showed everything was running smoothly. I ate like an hour before this pain once again started ALL OVER AGAIN!!! Sucks!!!So looks like I'm going to have to go through some more CRAP because I cannot tolerate this pain any longer. When the do an Upper GI you can see for yourself on the exray screen while you are standing if it is running smoothly. The Doctor that is ion the Exray room will be telling you what to do. If it's running smoothly it should only take under 30 minutes after you start drinking the barium(yucky). Have you vomited or are you just nauseated??? I have vomited a few times since I've been back home from surgery but mostly just like somebody has hit me with a life threatening blow to the abnomin & it wont let up sometimes for hours at a time!!! If you need to & the pain is more than you can tolerate, go to ER, they will order a cat scan with contrast & maybe a plain old exray to start out with first. OMG be patient, they wont be in no hurry to administer you anything for pain until they find the problem, the test cannot be done after pain meds are given. Hope things get better, do not ignore this, it could be life threatening. Read some of the testimonials. Gastrac bypass can kill you if something goes wrong. God Bless & prayers to you. By the way I had my gastric bypass in '05. I was 280, now I'm 115.

Lori
|

replied July 18th, 2012

Lori
|

replied October 6th, 2011
cremaneg,
I found your post quite informative. I just had surgery in May of 2011, however, I still want to know what to expect from my body as time progresses. I came through the surgery ok. I had one incision site that opened and gave me some anguish for a few months, but the main problem I have had is the pain associated with eating or drinking. That is anything! The first swallow of liquid or food causes in intense pain that is so uncomfortable that it has caused me to not want to eat or drink like I should. I know I am dehydrated and not getting the nutrients my body needs, as I have not taken the supplements like I should due to the pain. I am trying harder and have contacted the doctor recently and have been informed I may have an ulcer. The doctor told me to take OTC Previcid and then he would perscribe something else for me. I just started the Previcid today, so we will see if it helps at all. I know I am not someone in the group you specified you wanted information from, but I am still interested in what you are doing, so I took your email address down and would like to keep in contact with you. I think what you are doing is very important and I applaud you for taking on such a task. If there is ever anything I can do to help you please let me know and I will do what I can. Thank you from all of us Post-Ops who will definitely need your information at some time or other in our lives.
LillyinMT
|

replied April 8th, 2012
HilillyinMT...my husband actually seems to have exact problem as u. He has surgery day after Easter 2011 starting at 308 he currently is 140's. Fights to eat evrday. Was the ulcer diagnosis correct for u?? This is his current issue he's had soo so so many more issues. Just trying to exhaust any additional ideas u may have gotten as well. At the first sign of these problems he was also told ulcers but have miraculously disappeared we've since heard excess scar tissue, he's had several upper endiscopes (upper gi's) to stretch opening leading to pouch because it shrinks to pea size. Well I.dnt wanna ramble. I do appreciate any additional Info u could give or.suggest. thanks I. advance! Jenn ...
|

replied November 9th, 2011
Hello my name is Lristin and I had my gastric bypass done in September 2003 and have had problems ever since. I would love to help out with your research regarding what I have gone through as well as learning more about other possible complications and other people's stories. How can I get in touch with you because you didn't put your entire email address down?
Thanks, Kristin
|

replied February 13th, 2012
severe pain and illness after gastric bypass nearly 4yrs ago
pls contact me but be patient for a reply i am very ill re above thanks liz (UK)
|

replied September 11th, 2012
Hi I am one week out from having Rny what do you suggest I do,
|

replied December 5th, 2012
Would love your email
|

replied December 22nd, 2012
RNY 10/21/11 Problems.. Please help
I had my RNY 10/21/11. Starting in April 2012 I have had 6 surgeries. I have recently started being seen at Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN. Had another surgery last night hoping to have the Gastric tube removed from my old stomach. But that didn't go so well. I was told once I woke up that the DR could not take out the tube. What they thought was wrong isn't. So now he is talking about having to redo the RNY, and may even have to take out the old stomach. I am scared to death. I am 30 years old with 3 kids and my husband is Military. He will be deploying soon. I hurt all the time and I am having trouble taking my meds and eating most days. But no one can give me any answers. All my labs are great, so what is causing this? At first they thought it was a fistula and that what they went to fix last night, but couldn't find it. I have food and bowel in my old stomach and they don't understand why. I don't know what to do. Has anyone you have spoke with gone threw this?

Charla Moore
|

replied December 3rd, 2004
Bypass In May of 2002 - Had Bleeding Ulcer Nov. 2004
Hi!

I had my surgery in may of 2002. Everything was great - no problems at all until last august 2003. I was in the hospital for 3 days because of a sharp pain in my upper tummy, just under the breast bone. They did a ct scan and found nothing. They did say that they could see a large air bubble, like gas. Every once in a while I will get that same pain, and the only thing that helps me it to lay on the couch, at a slight incline and just breathe deep. Eventually I can feel the gas move and in less time than it used to take, the pain goes away.

I'm not saying it is gas for sure, but it could be.

I did have a scary episode last tuesday (nov 23). I started throwing up large amounts of blood. I was in the hospital for 5 days. The endoscopy showed a bleeding ulcer. I'm ok now, my blood count is going back up and i've been on prescription prilosec since then.

Good luck to you!
|

replied January 25th, 2005
Hello! Just a note to thank all of you for the responses I received to my message on 12/1. Luckily, I haven't had any real pain since then...A few "twinges" but very very minor. Hopefully it was just a stone, it passed thru, and now is done! :? I wish you all the best and I will continue to check in every so often to keep up on this subject.
|

replied August 3rd, 2005
Wow!!!. I have been experiencing the same pain.

I had the gastric bypass surgery in june 2003 and i've lost 120 pounds. I now weigh 130 pounds. But starting this past march I started getting these horrible stomach pains, they get my lower stomach, and back into horrible pain for about 12 hours at a time. I know it isn't my gall bladder since it has already been removed. So we started testing for kidney stones but nothing showed up. Then we tested my digestive system and everything looked normal. Now we are looking at the colon and nothing is showing up there. I would like to know what causes these pains to start.

I always get the pains like 6 hours after eating. Dumping syndrome usually comes on right after eating certain foods, or drinking while eating or eating too much. It is miserable but goes away really quick.

When I get these attacks I can't even lay down because my back hurts so bad. When I had my first attach in march I couldn't sleep in my bed for over 2 weeks, I was sleeping ont he couch sitting up. Really sucks.

Still going to the doctors but always looking for someone else who has gone through this. The doctors keep saying this isn't from the surgery, but I don't know what to believe.

Went and had an ultrasound of my bile duct, spleen, liver, appendix, kidney, pancreas and digestive system. My ultrasound came back clean. The gi doctor pretty said I do not know what is wrong with you. So today I am going to see an allergist to see if I am reacting to a food allergy that I do not know about

then today I went and did the food allergy testing everything came back clean.

Next is an ob/gyn.

Any ideas what is wrong with me?
|
Users who thank jagsawyer for this post: Hermis 

I posted this same reply above. One thing you might want to look into is intestinal hernias. In each of the cases I've heard of, the person had to undergo exploratory surgery to get a diagnosis. Good luck.
|

replied January 20th, 2012
10 years post bypass, upper left pain under ribs, radiating to b
I had gastric bypass in 2001. I had no problems until I had my gall bladder taken out in 2009. Since then, I have had a variety of pain. Most recently, pain under my left ribs that radiate slightly down and towards my back. Sometimes it can bring tears to my eyes, sometimes just an unbelievable cramping feeling. I finally had an MRA done and it shows I have SMA Syndrome (Superior Mesenteric Artery) where the artery angle is decreased thereby impinging on the duodenum. I have lost 30 pounds (unintentionally - again I'm 10 years out) and get very nauseous when I eat solid foods or drink liquids too fast. I have no energy and am in pain all the time. My plan is to have a gastrostomy tube inserted on Monday to relieve the fluid in the bypassed stomach and see if that helps. If it does, I will have a duodenojejunostomy procedure (bypassing the bypass). If that doesn't work, I will probably have to reverse the bypass. Apparently, SMA Syndrome is pretty rare, but I best not many doctors look into that diagnosis as a possible one since it is so rare. But in the case of a bariatric patient, I would think it should be an avenue to explore. Good luck with your pain!
|

replied March 1st, 2012
It is a gas build up from your liver. I have been dealing with this since 2 years out from my surgery. They did not take out my gallbladder when I first had the gastric bypass surgery and because of all of the weight I lost it put too much strain on my gall bladder. I was supposed to go into have it removed when I found out that I was pregnant with my oldest son.

Long story short, even after they took out my gall bladder I would still have these attacks like you all have described. The pain was just unbearable and no one could tell me why. I used to call them "phantom gall bladder attacks" but over the years I have done quite a bit of research and found out that only 30% of all patients that have their gall bladders removed stop getting these attacks. Why? Because the problem is not with your gall bladder, the gall bladder destroying itself is a side-effect of liver problems. And yes, 99.99% of all doctors that recommend gall bladder removal know this already but they do not tell you.

I went through two pregnancies with the entire OBGYN staff at two hospitals including my own doctor thinking I was a whack job complaining about this pain that was not supposed to be there. I stayed on pre-term labour medicine for almost the entire first pregnancy and half of the second because they thought it had something to do with labour pains. Because that is what they told me, every time I had these attacks I thought that was what was causing the pain too. But when I went into the hospital, there would be no contractions on the monitor and I would get the evil eye from all of the nurses. Typically by the time I made it into the hospital (feeling like I was being ripped apart the entire drive to the hospital until I got undressed and laid down) the attacks would start to slow down and then they would shoot me with Fentanyal or so other temporary pain medicine and the attacks would stop. Most of the time I tried to keep them from giving me anything so they could try to figure out what was causing it while the pain was at it's worst.

It was not until one night I told my husband to hell with it and we went into the ER the second I started feeling the pain coming on. I went to the ER this time instead of the L&D floor. A doctor on call ordered some ultrasound tests to find out if it was the baby or something else.

Once I got on the table and the technician started looking around on the ultrasound machine she was like, "OMG! I have never seen anything like this before!" I asked her what was going on and she told me, "Honey, you need to burp, fart, poke a hole in your gut or something. Your entire abdomen and chest cavity are completely full of gas, no wonder you are in such horrific pain!". She showed me on the monitor what she was talking about and about that time the doctor came in and saw what she was looking at.

He immediately ordered me on a morphine drip to help with the pain and gave me some medicine to help release the gas. He also told me that he could not believe no one had been able to see those results before.

I cried non-stop for almost an hour after that. Not from the pain but just from the pure relief that SOMEONE did not think I as crazy, they SAW the pain I was going through and they were willing to do something to help me.

Unfortunately he was not my regular doctor and I was pregnant so I could not switch to him. But he ordered my doctor to keep me in pain medicine so that I had something to relieve the pain during my pregnancy. He told him the kind of pain I was going through during these gas attacks was more hurtful to my son than any amount of pain medicine they could give me. After going through this with my first pregnancy I knew it was true. I had miscarried my oldest son's twin, I almost lost him during the pregnancy because of the gall bladder surgery and the stress on his little body from the gas attacks I was getting. And stress just makes the pain worse. One good thing about learning breathing techniques for giving birth is that the same breathing techniques help lower the stress and pain from these gas attacks. I have had two children, one natural and one through C-section and I will tell you that if you combined the pain from both of those pregnancies it still would not equal the pain you go through with one of these gas attacks.

After the pregnancy I tried to get this doctor to help me figure out what was causing these attacks and help me fix it but sometime during the rest of my pregnancy this doctor quit his practice and moved out of state. I have not been able to find another doctor since that will even listen to me about it. God only knows how bad my liver really is or what kind of real damage these attacks and pain have done to my body because I cannot get one single doctor to even look into it.

From all of the research I have had to do on my own, I do know for a fact that it has something to do with my liver. I do know for a fact that the extreme pain is caused from gas building up in my system and if I can catch it quick enough I can pop 4 Ultra-Strength Gas-X pills and it will calm the gas down enough to where I am not being ripped apart and in ungodly amounts of pain.

I have done a lot of research into the effects of taking Simethicone in the quantities that I take it and there are no body damaging side-effects. When I say the "quantities that I take" I mean that when I am having a flare up with the gas attacks over a few weeks I can go through one 40 pill box within a 2 week period. Usually 4 pills will stop the attack and pain within 15 to 30 minutes.

I have not been able to figure out what exactly brings the attacks on though. Any amount above normal stress can do it, sometimes it a particular food like for me if I eat Rosemary in any kind of quantity it will cause a flare up, but then sometimes drinking a glass of water will bring on an attack. There is no rhyme or reason to why they come on but I do know that the Gas-X helps and trying to stay as stress free during the attack (which is kind of impossible at times with the pain) as possible.

Hopefully this has been helpful to someone...
|

replied March 10th, 2012
Pain like being hit in the stomach all the time.
I had bypass surgery in 2008 and lost 150 pound and then the weight stopped. My stomach hurts all the time like someone punched me. I have already had gall bladder out. GI doctors did test to view upper gi and colon with it all being clean. They said they can't do anything for me and attribute the pain to post by-pass changes. My Primary Care says it is adhesions. All I know is I hurt all the time. The pain increases when I take a bit and the food then reaches my stomach a few minutes later. It can double me over. It also intensifies after a bowl movement. Primary sent me back to the gastric surgeron who also did my gall bladder surgery. He wants to wait and see for 6 months. He acts disgusted because I did not loose down to 130. I am currently at 290. Lowest at 272. I hurt, hurt, hurt. I take pain med and have to fight for it just to be able to concentrate to work. Sound familiar to others?
|

replied March 10th, 2012
I had bypass surgery in 2008 and lost 150 pound and then the weight stopped. My stomach hurts all the time like someone punched me. I have already had gall bladder out. GI doctors did test to view upper gi and colon with it all being clean. They said they can't do anything for me and attribute the pain to post by-pass changes. My Primary Care says it is adhesions. All I know is I hurt all the time. The pain increases when I take a bit and the food then reaches my stomach a few minutes later. It can double me over. It also intensifies after a bowl movement. Primary sent me back to the gastric surgeron who also did my gall bladder surgery. He wants to wait and see for 6 months. He acts disgusted because I did not loose down to 130. I am currently at 290. Lowest at 272. I hurt, hurt, hurt. I take pain med and have to fight for it just to be able to concentrate to work. Sound familiar to others?
|

replied March 10th, 2012
|

replied July 19th, 2012
Torsion of the Intestine? Adhesion?
Could it be a slight torsion of your small intestine? I have had trouble with that off and on for several years since my bypass. I once had emergency surgery because there was a adhesion that wrapped itself around my intestine. They say it will grow back and since I am in pain again now, I think it has. I don't want more surgery. Being thin isn't worth it.
|

replied October 2nd, 2005
Re: Post Gastric Bypass Stomach Pain
dailydata wrote:
i had gastric bypass in april 2004 all was fine until 9 weeks ago I began having l upper quadrant pain constant sometimes severe, I have tried all sorts of antacids, I had an xray, ct scan and endoscopy,all were normal, all my labs are also normal has anyone had this sort of pain ? It dosent matter if I have food in my stomach or not, the md has now ordered a blood test to check for h-pilori, if you are familier with pain on the left just under the rib cage please let me know I am going crazy here in california

this same thing happened to me and it took them 6 months to figure out that my staples had come apart and ruptured an ulcer. I was terribly sick and still have constant pain. It has ben over a year. I also developed horrible adhesions that caused massive pain under my left ribs. I was made to feel like it was all in my head because my ests came back normal, but they soon found out differently. I had a feeding tube for 4 months and was in the hospital for a total of four months. I still live with this pain. I would not have gone through with it had I known this wee a possiblility and trust me when I tell u that I did my research. If u like to talk , just email me. Good luck and no you are not crazy!!!

Abby
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Can you tell me how they finally found out that your staples had come apart? i had my bypass in 2000 and about 2 years later started battling the on/off pain in my upper stomach area and back also. As of lately, it has gotten significantly worse and I have been int he hospital ER twice in the last year with pain so terrible I wished I was dead. Buscopan, an anti-spasmodic was given to me by IV and it helped significantly but not completely. I still have no diagnosis other than guesses like what I have already read from others on here, gallbladder was removed but maybe pancreatitis from a left over stone, kidney stone, IBS, etc. Dixie
|

replied October 2nd, 2005
Unexplained Pain
I am also having pain. It is driving me nuts. Everyone says I have anxiety. Who would'nt after five years of this roller coaster called gastric bypass. I am having the scope on wed. My dad died of an ulcer so I know they are nothing to mess with. I really hope that its not in my head. I am beginning to think that we were mostly medical lab testers. Well see. :cry:
|

replied October 3rd, 2005
Post Op Perforated Gastric Ulcer
I myself can relate to your complications. I had the gastric bypass in november 2003 with out any complications until may of 2005. I experienced on going complications with sever pain and troubles with eating any kinds of food. After a year and a half of no complications with my bypass the doctors felt as though that it was not related. I was told most likely it was just a bacterial infection and to take antibiotics and nexium and that the pain should subside and I should be able to eat again. They were wrong. I had all the test which did not show anything was wrong, and after many times to the doctor and a loss of 16 pounds in 5 weeks was still told that it was just an infection of some kind. They were wrong. On the night of july the 26th I experienced pain to the point I could not walk and almost passed out. I was taken to the emerg room and it was identified that I had a perforated gastric ulcer which almost killed me. The surgeon who performed the repair of the damages caused from the ulcer stated that I am the second case like this he has seen and that he felt as though this was infact related to the bypass as a side effect. The explanation I was provided was that with the gastric bypass that the new flow of food traveling from the stomach into the intestine with out the natural break down of digestion of the food is the possible cause of the complication since the intestine is not prepared for foods that are not digested fully of any kind. I would truly recommend that you see your original bypass surgeon and explain your concerns to insure that you are followed closely. Other possible side effects could be a stricture. I only hope that they correct your complications before you end up in an emerg. Surgery as I did. Good luck. :)
|

replied October 15th, 2005
Re: Stomach Ulcers Post Bypass
kathyluther wrote:
i read your question and I had the exact same pain. I am two weeks post-op from repair of a perforated stomach (pouch) ulcer that almost killed me. The ulcer perforated and went into my liver. Please get to a doc that will listen to you as soon as possible. I almost died.

Kathy

this is amazing!! I too had the exact thing happen to me. I actually got down to 99 pounds and nearly lost my life. It took them months to figure it out because noone would do an endoscopy. Once they did that, I was in the or within two hours. I have chronic pain and I still only wiegh 109. I had a feeding tube for four months but nothing helps. I am now being treated for thyroid issues. Do u still suffer from pain? If so, what do u take for it?

Abby
|

replied October 24th, 2005
Hi, I am 22 years old and had gatric bypass surgery in 2002, in fresno california. I am just over 3 years out and for the last year I have been having constant pain in my stomach (right under my ribcage). I have just spent 12 days in the hospital and was sent home with no diagnosis yesterday 10/23/05. I underwent laproscopic surgery twice the first time they untwisted my bowel, but the pain didn't go away , went back in for surgery (no findings) had and endoscopy, colonoscopy, x-rays, bloodwork, everything has come back normal. I don't know what is going on. Got on this website to hopefully find some answers. I feel like I am the black sheep of gastric bypass (by the way my gb doctors are treating me). My doctors make comments that this pain has "nothing to do with gastric bypass" and they even made the comment to my mom that "it's all in my head!" I don't know what to do? I was normal and felt good before this surgery and my first few years weren't quite this bad. I got stenosis two weeks out of surgery and this past may 05'went in to have a hernia fixed in my bowel intestine. What is this pain>? Have lost 160 lbs, and am now lactose intollerent......... Just want to be normal.... Anyone having the same problems or have any comments or suggestions please email me. Thank you kb
|

replied November 11th, 2011
My bypass was done in May of 06, hernia repair and tummy tuck in 08, hernia repair 1/4/11 and adhesion/ scar tissue removal and small bowel dissection 1/27/11. My hospital stay was two days shy of a month after the last surgery. It's been constant pain ever since. Currently I'm taking 8-10mg of dilaudid every 4 hours and cymbalta which is a antidepressant but has the ability the help the gastric tract. Both make me extremely sleepy and the dilaudid wears off and you end up having peaks and valleys of pain. We've tried other pain meds, shots in my back, etc etc but dilaudid is the only thing that takes the horrible abdominal pain away. I've had abdominal pain since August of 2010 and really am afraid of the impact the pain meds are having on my body. Nicole
|

replied October 27th, 2005
Post Gastric Bypass Pain
I had gastric bypass in january 2004 and have lost 130 lbs. I have been experiencing similar pain. My gastric bypass surgeon believes it is due to adhesions or scar tissue that has formed in my intestine where a small portion was removed. I got pregnant in august of 2004 and now have a 6 month old son. The pain increased as my pregnancy progressed and they believed that the bigger he got, the more my intestine was "squeezed". The pain has lessened now that I am no longer pregnant but I do get it every few weeks. I had an mri while I was pregnant because they couldn't do a ct scan and it did not show anything but my surgeon says that adhesions are very difficult to diagnose. He might just cut me open to do exploratory surgery but adhesions can reform. We'll see...

jagsawyer wrote:
wow!!!. I have been experiencing the same pain.

I had the gastric bypass surgery in june 2003 and i've lost 120 pounds. I now weigh 130 pounds. But starting this past march I started getting these horrible stomach pains, they get my lower stomach, and back into horrible pain for about 12 hours at a time. I know it isn't my gall bladder since it has already been removed. So we started testing for kidney stones but nothing showed up. Then we tested my digestive system and everything looked normal. Now we are looking at the colon and nothing is showing up there. I would like to know what causes these pains to start.

I always get the pains like 6 hours after eating. Dumping syndrome usually comes on right after eating certain foods, or drinking while eating or eating too much. It is miserable but goes away really quick.

When I get these attacks I can't even lay down because my back hurts so bad. When I had my first attach in march I couldn't sleep in my bed for over 2 weeks, I was sleeping ont he couch sitting up. Really sucks.

Still going to the doctors but always looking for someone else who has gone through this. The doctors keep saying this isn't from the surgery, but I don't know what to believe.

Went and had an ultrasound of my bile duct, spleen, liver, appendix, kidney, pancreas and digestive system. My ultrasound came back clean. The gi doctor pretty said I do not know what is wrong with you. So today I am going to see an allergist to see if I am reacting to a food allergy that I do not know about

then today I went and did the food allergy testing everything came back clean.

Next is an ob/gyn.

Any ideas what is wrong with me?
|

Lately I've been reading some reports on OH.com of people who have had terrible stomach pain that turned out to be intestinal hernias. And those people had to undergo exploratory surgery to get a diagnosis. Just something to consider.
|

replied December 8th, 2005
Post Gastric Bypass Pain
I had a bypass on 4-29-2004, it leaked and was repaired 5-1-2004. I have had nothing but pain and trouble since the procedure. Hernia repairs, exploratory laparotomy, dilatation, endoscopies, colonoscopies, etc., in search of the cause of the pain to no avail. I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis and treated but am now taking robinul and protonix which are not helping. I've been mrid, ct scanned, stress tested, tilt tables for syncope and everything. My labs are drawn every 3 months. I've had scar tissue and adhesions removed and have been told my pain is likely due to more scar tissue growing back. I have zero quality of life though I have gone from 258 pounds to 164 in this time frame. I stopped losing weight because meat and vegetables hurt -- soft foods like rice, bread, cereal -- diverticulitis foods -- don't hurt but have calories. I never exercise -- walking is misery. My bp is never above 88/45 and I am exhausted all the time. I have malabsorption, low b vitamins, low iron and am anemic. I have a ppo and am getting excellent care, but my gb surgeons cringe when I walk in and my internist and gastroenterologist are completely mystified as to what causes the pain. My hypothesis is that the damn gastric bypass operation is wrong wrong wrong on all levels. I would never do it again and would never recommend it to anyone. I may look good -- except for the sagging skin and flabby ass -- but I feel horrible 24/7 and no one can explain why. I think mutilating our bodies to be thin might have been a big mistake and the studies saying it was ok to ruin a perfectly good, but chubby, body weren't all honest. I regret having surgery and am living in fear of becoming extremely sick at any time or even dying. There is no quality of life here. I signed a consent form for surgery, not a life sentence for pain. In california no malpractice lawyer will touch a gb case unless the patient dies. It's just not worth it.
|

replied April 5th, 2011
Your post is so similiar to me that I felt like someone wrote it for me!!! I had the RNY in 2004 and about a year and a half ago started experiencing the stomach pain and was craving ice like crazy! After I eat, I almost always get really dizzy! It started with an iron infusion and then a 6 day hospital stay with exploritory surgery and the only thing they could conclude was scar tissue and liver blockage. I got better for alittle while and then dropped back to feeling terrible! I am considered extreme reactive hypoglycemic and my average blood sugar is around 45!!!! I get so dizzy, I want to black out and the doctor gave me a carb blocker that does not seem to do anything to help. It does not matter what type of meal I have, my blood sugar consistenly drops! I am frustrated and am trying to research this and find an answer to a better quality of life. I know this may have taken years off of my life to have this surgery but WHAT do I do now? It is amazing how your pattern is so similiar to mine. Have you been able to find a doctor that doesnt just scratch their head and tell you that you made a mistake by having this surgery?
|

replied October 19th, 2011
I am having similar issues. My blood sugar has been as low as 24 been medication but isn't working. I too crave ice, it has been taking a toll on me and my family. I wish I knew someone who could help.
|

replied June 18th, 2011
Are you taking your Vitamines after Gastric Bypass Surgury?
Are you taking your Vitamines? Here is some great information about why you should take your Vitamines after Gastric Bypass Surgury!!!

Vitamin Deficiency in gastric bypass/duodenalswitch-BPD

back to Obesitysurgery-info.com Back to long term

Gastric bypass surgery bypasses the section of small bowel in which most vitamins are digested and absorbed. Also, as seen below in the excerpts taken from various medical sources, that stapling the stomach into a smaller size or removing or bypassing part of the stomach can have repercussions as far as vitamin digestion. (for example - the gastric sleeve)

"All of the operations, old and new, are based on an incorrect assumption: that the stomach is no more than a passive sac for receiving food. In fact, it is a critical digestive organ and cannot be cut away or bypassed without compromising the digestive process." Paul Ernsberger, PhD, Department of Nutrition,
Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, 10900 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, OH 44106-4906

Vitamin A

Calcium

Vitamin B12
B12 fact sheet from NIH NOTE: sub lingual or B12 shots are recommended
Vitamin E

Vitamin D
Vitamin D fact sheet NIH
Polyneuropathy (post stomach stapling)

Selenium Deficiency

Thiamin (vitamin B1 deficiency)

Starvation

Iron

Vitamin A
Secondary vitamin A deficiency may be due to inadequate conversion of carotene to vitamin A or to interference with absorption, storage, or transport of vitamin A. Interference with absorption or storage is likely in celiac disease, sprue, cystic fibrosis, pancreatic disease, duodenal bypass, (gastric bypass bypasses the duodenum and duodenal switch mostly bypasses the duodenum or first section of small bowel) congenital partial obstruction of the jejunum, obstruction of the bile ducts, giardiasis, and cirrhosis. Vitamin A deficiency is common in protein-energy malnutrition (marasmus or kwashiorkor), principally because the diet is deficient but also because vitamin A storage and transport are defective.

Inadequate intake or utilization of vitamin A can cause impaired dark adaptation and night blindness; xerosis of the conjunctiva and cornea; xerophthalmia and keratomalacia; keratinization of lung, GI tract, and urinary tract epithelia; increased susceptibility to infections; and sometimes death. Follicular hyperkeratosis of the skin is common.

The main function of vitamin D hormone is to increase calcium absorption from the intestine and promote normal bone formation and mineralization.

Calcium
Calcium in the body must be tightly controlled because it is necessary to cell function for such things as blood clotting, muscle contraction, enzyme reactions, cellular communication and skin differentiation. It also gives bones and teeth their strength. In fact, the hardest substance in the human body, tooth enamel, is 95% calcium. The calcium deficiencies in gastric bypass patients, is caused by the bypassing of the first part of the small bowel, called the duodenum.

In adults, demineralization (osteomalacia) occurs, particularly in the spine, pelvis, and lower extremities; the fibrous lamellae become visible on x-rays, and incomplete ribbonlike areas of demineralization (pseudofractures, Looser's lines, Milkman's syndrome) appear in the cortex. As the bones soften, weight may cause bowing of the long bones, vertical shortening of the vertebrae, and flattening of the pelvic bones, which narrows the pelvic outlet.

Abetalipoproteinemia (Bassen-Kornzweig syndrome), due to the genetic absence of apolipoprotein B, causes serious fat malabsorption and steatorrhea, with progressive neuropathy and retinopathy in the first two decades of life (see Abetalipoproteinemia in Medline). Plasma vitamin E levels are usually undetectable.

Symptoms and signs are caused by hypoprothrombinemia and related depression of other vitamin K-dependent coagulation factors. Bleeding is the major manifestation whether the cause is inadequate dietary intake or antagonism of vitamin K by drugs. Easy bruisability and mucosal bleeding (especially epistaxis, GI hemorrhage, menorrhagia, and hematuria) occur in vitamin K deficiency. Oozing of blood from puncture sites or incisions may occur after trauma, and life-threatening intracranial hemorrhage can occur in infants. In obstructive jaundice, hemorrhage--if it occurs--usually begins after the 4th to 5th day. It may begin as a slow ooze from a surgical wound, the gums, the nose, or GI mucosa, or it may be massive into the GI tract.

Calcium Deficiency from the Merck Manual

Vitamin B12 (gastric bypass patients should take shots at least once a week or better yet, daily)
Mechanisms of B12 deficiency
Reduced intrinsic factor production 2° parietal cell loss
Antibodies to B12 binding site on intrinsic factor: Prevent formation of complex that is normally carried to terminal ileum & absorbed
Associated immune disorders: Thyroiditis; Diabetes; Addison's; Ovarian failure; 1° hypoparathyroidism; Graves; Vitiligo; Myasthenia gravis; Lambert-Eaton syndrome; Common variable immunodeficiency with low Ig or IgA (younger patients)
Vitamin E deficiency

Vitamin E
Mixture of tocopherols
a-tocopherol most potent
Antioxidant
Prevents peroxidation of polyunsaturated membrane fatty acids
? Relationship with vitamin E
Recommended daily allowance: Males 10 mg; Females 8 mg
Absorbed & incorporated into chylomicrons in small intestine
Causes of deficiency
Transfer protein disorders
A-b-lipoproteinemia
Vitamin E transporter deficiency
Malabsorption
Chronic cholestasis
Cystic fibrosis
Chronic bowel disease: Celiac; Whipple's; Inflammatory; Tropical sprue; Chronic pancreatitis
Surgical: Post gastrectomy; Short bowel syndromes (i.e. gastric bypass)
Chylomicron retention disease
Reduced intake
Malnutrition
Total parenteral nutrition: May be associated with selenium deficiency
Clinical
Polyneuropathy
Sensory loss
Large fiber modalities
Sensory ataxia
Tendon reflexes: Absent
Electrodiagnostic
Sensory potentials: Usually small; May be normal
Abnormal somatosensory evoked potentials
Myopathy: 1 patient
Related to high dose cholestyramine treatment
Weakness: Generalized
Serum CK: High
Muscle pathology: Small ovoid inclusions (H&E purple; GT pink; Acid phos +)
CNS
Ophthalmoplegia
Spinal
Posterior column sensory loss
Extensor plantar responses
Systemic: A-b-lipoproteinemia
Retinitis pigmentosa
Acanthocytosis
Pathology
Dorsal root neurons: Early loss of distal region of central projection
Spinal cord: Loss of fibers in posterior & Clarke column
Axonal dystrophy (swellings) in cuneate & gracile nuclei
Diagnosis
Vitamin E levels: Undetectable or very low levels in serum
Other: Fat malabsorption ® Fatty stools; Low serum carotene
Treatment: Vitamin E supplementation
A-b-lipoproteinemia: 100 to 200 mg/kg/day in childhood ? + vitamins A & K
Malabsorption: 1 to 4 g/day
Vitamin D deficiency

Function
Steroid hormone
Active form: 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D3 (Calcitriol)
Action via intracellular receptor
Regulates Ca++ & Phosphorus homeostasis
Clinical: Similar to hypoparathyroidism
Epidemiology: Dietary deficiency more common in
Northern Europe & US
Elderly patients
Immigrant populations
Infants: Vitamin D deficiency rickets
Myopathy (50%)
Weakness: Proximal; Symmetric
Muscle wasting
Myalgia
Muscle physiology
Reduced Force generation
Delayed relaxation
Tendon reflexes: Normal
Osteomalacia: See Osteomalacia in Medline
Treatment
Ergocalciferol: Oral (50,000 U 1x/week x6) or IM
Improvement in strength & reduced pain over weeks
Laboratory
25-Hydroxyvitamin D reduced
Parathyroid hormone increased
Alkaline phosphatase: Often increased
Serum CK: Often normal
Muscle biopsy: Normal or Non-specific changes
Vitamin D malabsorption: Causes
Dietary deficiency
Reduced Sun exposure
Malabsorption: Post-surgical; Small Bowel disease (for example: gastric bypass)
Renal: Tubular acidosis; Chronic failure
Anticonvulsants
Postgastroplasty syndrome: Polyneuropathy +
Epidemiology
Surgery: For morbid obesity
Frequency of neuropathy: 5% of Gastric bypass surgeries
Associated with
Surgical procedures
Gastrojejunectomy (BPD)
Gastric stapling (gastric bypass)
Gastroplasty
Gastrectomy
Vomiting
Severe protracted
May be chronic after gastrectomy (68%)
Weight loss
Degree: Mean 28%; Range 11% to 48%
Rapid
Polyneuropathy
Onset
Acute or Subacute
Numbness & paresthesias: Distal then proximal in legs
Sensory loss
Distal ± Proximal
Modalities
Large fiber: Joint position & Vibration
Small fiber
May simulate myelopathic pattern
Pain: Less prominent than in nutritional (Cuban) neuropathy
Weakness
Distal or Proximal
Legs > Arms
Hyporeflexia (66%)
Autonomic: Uncommon
Hyoptension: Syncope
Progression: May develop quadriparesis
CNS
Wernicke-Korsakoff like disorder
Confusion
Memory loss
Eye movement disorders
Affective disorders
D-lactate disorder: Bacterial overgrowth
Electrophysiology
EMG: Denervation
Nerve conduction studies
Axonal loss
Sensory + Motor involvement
Muscle biopsy
Type 2 muscle fiber atrophy
Denervation: Angular muscle fibers
Treatment
Parenteral nutrition
Vitamins: Thiamine +
Prognosis
Death 8%
Good resolution of signs 35%
Selenium Deficiency (it is suspected - Mason et al - that gastric bypass patients can not digest and absorb the micronutrients like selenium, chromium etc)
In the U.S., most cases of selenium depletion or deficiency are associated with severe gastrointestinal problems, such as Crohn's disease, or with surgical removal of part of the stomach. (NIH faq sheet on Selenium Deficiency)

Selenium
Trace essential element
Sources: Meat; Fish; Cereals
Component of selenoproteins: Glutathione peroxidases; Iodothyronine 5'-deiodinases
Deficiency produces
Glutathione peroxidase activity: Reduced
Oxidative damage
Deficiency syndromes
Myopathy: Long term parenteral nutrition; Chronic bowel disease or removal of part of the stomach; Other dietary deficiency
Epidemic cardiomyopathy
2° Reduced dietary selenium in pregnant women & children in Keshan, China
Animal disorders
"White muscle" or "Yellow fat" disease in horses & cattle
Probably related to concurrent selenium & vitamin E deficiency
Myopathy
Clinical
Muscle pain: Proximal
Weakness: Proximal, Symmetric
Treatment: Normal oral diet
Laboratory
Serum CK: High
Serum selenium: Low
Vitamin E levels: Commonly low
Muscle biopsy
Muscle fiber atrophy
Vacuoles
Thinned myofibrils
Mitochondria: Enlargement; Reduced Number
Cardiac disease: Arrhythmia; Cardiac failure

------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------

Thiamin (vitamin B1 deficiency)
Early deficiency produces fatigue, irritation, poor memory, sleep disturbances, precordial pain, anorexia, abdominal discomfort, and constipation.

The syndrome of peripheral neurologic changes due to thiamine deficiency is called dry beriberi. These changes are bilateral and symmetric, involving predominantly the lower extremities, and begin with paresthesias of the toes, burning of the feet (particularly severe at night), muscle cramps in the calves, and pains in the legs. Calf muscle tenderness, difficulty in rising from a squatting position, a decrease in the vibratory sensation in the toes, and plantar dysesthesia are early signs. A diagnosis of mild peripheral neuropathy can be made when ankle jerks are absent. Continued deficiency causes loss of knee jerk, loss of vibratory and position sensation in the toes, atrophy of the calf and thigh muscles, and finally footdrop and toedrop. The arms may be affected after leg signs are well established.

Cerebral beriberi (Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome) results from severe acute deficiency superimposed on chronic deficiency (see Amnesias in Ch. 169). Mental confusion, aphonia, and confabulation constitute the early stage, called Wernicke's encephalopathy. Cerebral blood flow is markedly reduced and vascular resistance increased. Korsakoff's psychosis (Korsakoff's amnestic syndrome) consists of nystagmus, total ophthalmoplegia, coma, and, if untreated, death.

Cardiovascular (wet) beriberi (Shoshin beriberi) occurs in thiamine deficiency when myocardial disease is prominent. This causes a high cardiac output with vasodilation and warm extremities. Before heart failure occurs, tachycardia, a wide pulse pressure, sweating, warm skin, and lactic acidosis develop. With heart failure, orthopnea and pulmonary and peripheral edema occur; vasodilation continues, sometimes resulting in shock.

Merck Manual - Wernicke's encephalopathy/Korsakoff's psychosis

Starvation
Structural and functional changes due to the total lack of intake of energy and essential nutrients.

Starvation is the most severe form of malnutrition. It may result from fasting, famine, anorexia nervosa, catastrophic disease of the GI tract, stroke, or coma. The basic metabolic response to starvation is conservation of energy and body tissues. However, the body will mobilize its own tissues as a source of energy, which results in the destruction of visceral organs and muscle and in extreme shrinkage of adipose tissue. Total starvation is fatal in 8 to 12 wk.

Symptoms and Signs
In adult volunteers who fasted for 30 to 40 days, weight loss was marked (25% of initial weight), metabolic rate decreased, and the rate and amount of tissue protein breakdown decreased by about 30%. In more prolonged starvation, weight loss may reach 50% in adults and possibly more in children. Loss of organ weight is greatest in the liver and intestine, moderate in the heart and kidneys, and least in the nervous system. Emaciation is most obvious in areas where prominent fat depots normally exist. Muscle mass shrinks and bones protrude. The skin becomes thin, dry, inelastic, pale, and cold. The hair is dry and sparse and falls out easily.

Most body systems are affected. Achlorhydria and diarrhea are common. Heart size and cardiac output are reduced; the pulse slows and blood pressure falls. Respiratory rate and vital capacity decrease. The main endocrine disturbance is gonadal atrophy with loss of libido in men and women and amenorrhea in women. Intellect remains clear, but apathy and irritability are common. The patient feels weak. Work capacity is diminished because of muscle destruction and, eventually, is worsened by cardiorespiratory failure. The anemia is usually mild, normochromic, and normocytic. Reduction in body temperature frequently contributes to death. In famine edema, serum proteins are usually normal, but loss of fat and muscle results in increased extracellular water, low tissue tension, and inelastic skin. Cell-mediated immunity is compromised, and wound healing is impaired (see Malnutrition-related Immunodeficiency ).

Heat and cold receptors are located in the skin. When the body temperature rises, the hypothalamus sends a nerve signal to the sweat-producing skin glands, causing them to release about 1-2 liters of water per hour, cooling the body. The hypothalamus also causes dilation of the blood vessels of the skin, allowing more blood to flow into those areas, causing heat to be convected away from the skin surface. When body temperature falls, the sweat glands constrict and sweat production decreases. If the body temperature continues to fall, the body will engage in thermiogenesis, or heat generation, by raising the body's metabolic rate and by shivering.

Deficiency
Iron deficiency generally occurs during the growth period or when intake fails to replace iron loss that is associated with blood loss. When iron stores are depleted and there is inadequate production of heme (the portion of hemoglobin associated with the iron), the red blood cells become small (microcytic) and have decreased capacity to carry oxygen. There is also a drop in iron-containing enzymes that are important in cellular metabolism. This results in decreased work capacity, fatigue and altered behavior such as irritability.

Iron

Iron is important in the transportation of oxygen from the lungs by way of the blood stream to the tissues. It is present in the red blood cell protein, hemoglobin. A similar protein in muscle, myoglobin, also contains iron and stores oxygen for use during muscle contraction. Iron is found in the portion of the cell involved in energy production and as a cofactor for several enzymes. Iron is stored in organs like the liver so the body depletes those areas first. Anemia in long term gastric bypass patients is common - especially those with long limb intestinal bypass (like DS/BPD and distal gastric bypass). It is remedied by regular iron infusions, an outpatient procedure.

Deficiency
Iron deficiency generally occurs during the growth period or when intake fails to replace iron loss that is associated with blood loss. When iron stores are depleted and there is inadequate production of heme (the portion of hemoglobin associated with the iron), the red blood cells become small (microcytic) and have decreased capacity to carry oxygen. There is also a drop in iron-containing enzymes that are important in cellular metabolism. This results in decreased work capacity, fatigue and altered behavior such as irritability.
|

replied February 25th, 2006
Post-gastric Bypass Pain.
My best friend and the love of my life had gastric bypass surgery (rous-en-y) about five years ago and has had a plethora of complications that began some time ago. We've only known each other for a little over a year but as long as i've known her she has experienced recurring pain that no doctor at this point can explain. She has been through the gamut of tests (mri, ct scan etc.) with no solutions in sight. She has not been able to sleep on her own bed for well over a year (she sleeps in her easy chair...That sucks!). I feel so helpless even though I go on-line, religiously, trying to see if there's anyone out there with some clue as to what is going on. I believe, absolutely, that her pain is related to the gastric bypass surgery. It's ripping my heart out to see her in such pain while doctors try to tell her that it's in her head. Is there anyone out there that even has a clue? I want desperartely to help her but, short of becoming a physician myself, I don't know what to do. I feel so helpless even though I do not intend to quit searching for answers until she is well again.

Her pains are consistantly strong and under her rib-cage on her left side and continues into her back. She has very little energy most of the time, which I believe is partly due to malabsorption, even though she takes multi-vitamins. She recently had a procedure called a splancnic nerve block to help relieve the pain...It lasted all of about three days. My personal concerns withstanding, I am hoping against hope that there is someone out there who has the same symptoms and maybe has found a solution, be it temporary or permanent. I myself am a cancer survivor (colon) and have ulcerative colitis and understand how dibilitating chronic pain can be and it's all the more reason why I am searching for answers. I love her dearly and will expend whatever effort is needed to find her help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I've recently received an e-mail that suggests eating "soft" foods (ie. Rice, oatmeal even baby food) for a week to determine if the problems are directly related to the intestines inability to "process" slow digesting foods such as meat and leafy vegetables. I'm going to suggest that to my girlfriend and see if it helps to any degree. I know it sounds "bland" as far as taste is concerned but I believe anything to reduce the pain and discomfort would be more desireable. Wish her luck and may god bless you all who suffer as she does.
|

replied October 5th, 2012
Aside from potential adhesions and ulcers, I'm told that most complications come from vitamin deficiencies, which can cause some really serious stuff. I will only take isotonic vitamins now - they come in powder form and you mix a capful with water. They are absorbed directly into the bloodsrteam, so don't need to be digested. My nutritionist told me gastric bypass patients absorb nothing from most vitamin pills. I also take a sublingual B12 pill (under the tongue), but am thinking of getting a prescription for the B12 nasal spray, plus I take chewable iron.

The only time I have pain is if I eat too much sugar. When I do, I feel a little sickish shortly after, but the next day I have stomach cramps and dumping. It's a problem, because I love sweets, but the pain is guaranteed to follow for me! You're right that eating soft, bland foods for a couple of days helps my stomach settle down.

I'm still glad I had the surgery, because so far I've been able to control complications with nutrition. I wish your friend well!
|

replied February 27th, 2006
Gastric Bypass Is Not a Guaranteed Solution
As all medical procedures have negatives, gb is no different. I wish there were a way to not cause anybody any problems when they get gb.

Gbp
|

replied March 25th, 2006
Pain After Gastric Bypass
I to had a gastric bypass and have had pain that started about 3 months after. I have had every test thinkable and 3 surgeries!! Everytime the drs think they found the reasons! The pain goes away for about a week and then comes back! I think I well just learn to live with it- I dont want anymore surgery! It scares me so much that I worry if I have somehow shortened my life span by having this surgery. It has been 4 years since surgery. I look great but cant do much of anything which requires me to be physical I have even left work 3x an ambulance! Now I am not working and dont know what will happen as time goes by. Has anyone found an answer? I to have been told its in my mind. Theirs to many of us that are experincing the same kind of pain. I know the drs say its not from the bypass, but I think the #s here speak differant. Its about time a dr starts figuring out what this side effect from gbs is all about instead of pushing this aside. Please let me know if anyof you have found an answer. I only have a bm every 3-4or 5 days and they are always runny how about people with pain in left side and below ribs is your bm the same? Thanks gbs
|
Users who thank GBS for this post: Skovmanden 

replied August 3rd, 2006
Re: Post Gastric Bypass Pain
Thank god someone else feels the same way. I had my gp in april '05 and have nothing but problems since. I have horrible stomach pains, headaces and feel sick almost daily. I admit I haven't been the best paient with following my diet but I never expected all this. All I want to do is go back to the way I was. I want to end this suffering and have honestly thought about having it reversed if that's even a possibility. I have gone from being 260lbs and feeling pretty good to being 170 lbs and feeling terrible all the time. I have a wonderful bf who loved me before when I thought that I was fat and he still loves me, now he just worries all the time about my health too! We want to have kids but i'm afraid that it will make it worse or i'll get sick or die! This has ruined my life.
My stomach pain started back in novemeber when I would get stomach pain in my lower stomach so bad that I couldn't breathe, my chest hurt, my back hurt, my kidneys hurt and I was doubled over in excruciating pain for up to 6 hours. It happened only occasionally and told my doctor about it but he played it off like it was my fault because I ate too fast or didn't chew enough or wasn't doing anything right. It subsided for a while and now (as of a month or so ago) I am getting stomach pains, most of the time in the center of my chest that riadets down and steeles near my rib cage. It's accompianed by headaces and nausa and it's occuring on almost a daily basis, it's not the same cripling pain that it used to be but it's definatly more than uncomfortable. I don't know what to do. I don't know what it is. I'm so afraid that I have given myself a premature death sentance all in the name of thinness.

debness wrote:
i had a bypass on 4-29-2004, it leaked and was repaired 5-1-2004. I have had nothing but pain and trouble since the procedure. Hernia repairs, exploratory laparotomy, dilatation, endoscopies, colonoscopies, etc., in search of the cause of the pain to no avail. I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis and treated but am now taking robinul and protonix which are not helping. I've been mrid, ct scanned, stress tested, tilt tables for syncope and everything. My labs are drawn every 3 months. I've had scar tissue and adhesions removed and have been told my pain is likely due to more scar tissue growing back. I have zero quality of life though I have gone from 258 pounds to 164 in this time frame. I stopped losing weight because meat and vegetables hurt -- soft foods like rice, bread, cereal -- diverticulitis foods -- don't hurt but have calories. I never exercise -- walking is misery. My bp is never above 88/45 and I am exhausted all the time. I have malabsorption, low b vitamins, low iron and am anemic. I have a ppo and am getting excellent care, but my gb surgeons cringe when I walk in and my internist and gastroenterologist are completely mystified as to what causes the pain. My hypothesis is that the damn gastric bypass operation is wrong wrong wrong on all levels. I would never do it again and would never recommend it to anyone. I may look good -- except for the sagging skin and flabby ass -- but I feel horrible 24/7 and no one can explain why. I think mutilating our bodies to be thin might have been a big mistake and the studies saying it was ok to ruin a perfectly good, but chubby, body weren't all honest. I regret having surgery and am living in fear of becoming extremely sick at any time or even dying. There is no quality of life here. I signed a consent form for surgery, not a life sentence for pain. In california no malpractice lawyer will touch a gb case unless the patient dies. It's just not worth it.
|

User Profile
replied August 3rd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I am not a dr but why not get a second opinion? I have heard some people really complain after a bypass. Some drs say that it is their pancreas. I don't blame you for wanting it back the way it was. Sometimes after surgery you have more problems then before, I went through that with my neck, 1st it was scar tissue , then it was arthritis then another surgery, heck with it, no more surgeries for me.
All the best to you!
|