Medical Questions > Nutrition > Atkins Diet Forum

How Do You Speed Your Matabolism?

I am starting on a weight watchers points diet, but I did atkins, lost weight and gained it back +, my husband says I need to have a faster matabolism and maybe there is a herb for that. Does exercise speed your matabolism up? Embarassed
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 13th, 2003
Yes, exercise does speed up your motabolism. Not only should you work out 4-5 times a week with about 20 minutes of cardio, but also throw in a couple of those days for weight training. The more muscle you build the faster you will burn fat! Another way that may seem a little strange is to eat more. If you eat 6 times a day, your motabolism should speed up. Make sure you are eating healthy foods, and smaller portions. What gives you energy will speed up your motabolism, and unlike the atkins diet, the main source of energy is carbohydrates. Eat complex carbs, like whole grain, and try and stay away from processed foods with added sugars. Good luck on losing weight, and remember, this is not a diet, but a life style change for eating healthier!
|

replied October 27th, 2003
Exclamation building muscle speeds metabolism, because muscle continues to burn calories even after exercising. That's why men, whose bodies are more muscular than women's bodies, can eat more without gaining weight. So if you add strength building exercise to your routine you can increase your metabolism.

Eating the right foods --- vegetables, fruits, whole grains, plenty of lean proteins, and lots of water --- will also speed up your system.
|

replied December 30th, 2003
Increasing Your Metabolism.
Increasing your metabolism
with a higher metabolism you can burn fat all day, even when you sleep. The best way of increasing your metabolism is a combination of a higher protein diet and moderate exercise.

A meal high in protein can increase your metabolism by up to 30% compared to a meal high in carbohydrates which would only increase your metabolism by around 4%.
Exercising first thing in the morning increases your metabolism for the rest of your day making you more alert, helps to burn fat and affects your appetite and wellbeing in a positive way.
Adequate protein will help you build muscle and muscle helps you burn fat. An adequate or higher protein diet can help raise your metabolism both day and night. With a high enough metabolism you can burn fat while you sleep. Adequate protein is essential to keep your metabolism high. The fat burning response from a high protein meal can be 40% greater than the same response form a high carbohydrate meal.

I hope this helps your understanding a little.

It's also important to note that from a health perspective a high carbohydrate meal is likely to produce excess insulin. Excess insulin will result in the overproduction of bad eicosanoids. This will result in lower levels of cyclic amp. And cyclic amp levels are vital for the hormonal communication so vital for effective metabolism.

If you would like more information on this link to eicosanoids with diet you can read the free books one hour to glorious health and permanent weight loss and from depression to glorious health in six steps.
kindest regards,
andrew cavanagh
|

replied March 8th, 2004
Eat Numerous Smaller Meals/snacks
If I understand several diet programs, always include a mid morning, mid afternoon, and evening snack in your diet program to keep the metabolic rate up. Some folks have had success with metabolic enhancers in addition to all the rest of the ideas. Combining several of the ideas into your regimine seems as a good plan.

Bottom line, the body is a bank account...
Put more in, take less out, it grows...
Put less in, take more out, it shrinks!

Good luck and good dieting!
|
Quick Reply