Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Can U Get Pregnant On the Shot (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I was wondering if u can get pregnant on the shot and what r the signs if u can get pregnant on the shot I need to know it could save my marriage
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper shoneen
|

replied October 23rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Do U Wanna Get Preg?
Do u want a baby ? How long have u been on the shot?
|

replied March 28th, 2011
yes i want a baby ive been on the shot for almost a year
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Whats threatening the relationship
|

replied October 24th, 2004
Experienced User
Well I have never gotten pregnant while on the shot. I was on the shot for years and then off of it for 9 months to the date before I got pregnant. Then I was on it again for almost 3 years and off of it for 3 months before I got pregnant again. I have never heard of anyone getting pregnant while on the shot. The chances are like one in a whole lot. I think the pregnancy site on about.Com has more information on that. Also the signs would be teh same as if you weren't on the shot.
|

replied October 24th, 2004
Experienced User
If a woman becomes pregnant while using depo provera, and continues her pregnancy, there may be an increased risk of premature birth.
Depo-provera is 99.7 percent effective against pregnancy. The shot is one of the most effective reversible methods of birth control. Of every 1,000 women who use it, only three will become pregnant during the first year. A shot of depo can prevent pregnancy for 12 weeks.
Hcg test. This blood test measures levels of the hormone human chorionic gonadotropin (hcg), which is produced by the placenta. Hcg appears in the blood and urine as early as 10 days after conception, and its levels double every 2 days for the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. If hcg levels are lower than expected for your stage of pregnancy, doctors are one step closer to diagnosing ectopic pregnancy.
|

replied October 25th, 2004
Hey Out There
Do yall think I need to take some kind of pregnant test or go to the doctor to determine what the hell is wrong with me Twisted Evil
|

Experienced User
Well, currently what are your symptoms? I've had some crazy things happen to me while on the shot, but never was I pregnant.
|

Read
Ive been feeling sick mostly at night.. Stomic feels weird feels like it did when I was pregnant with my son alex. Slight bleeding for 3weeks it finially stoped. And lots of other things.. Its weird with the first two kids I had I have never had any morning sickness. What shout I do im making an appointment for either this thursday or friday.. So ill keep yall posted
|

replied October 26th, 2004
Hey can someone tell me more about this shot????? Side effects maybe, where you can get it (im in canada) anything else that could be helpful? Me and my friends with benefits want to have sex but I want to be as safe as possible so im gonna go on the pill and make him use a condom every time but is this shot better then the pill??? O and also does anyone know if it's true that you cant get pregnant within 2 weeks after finishing your rag???
|

replied October 27th, 2004
Experienced User
Hmmmm, those are really odd. I know that the last two times I got the shot it messed with my body really bad. Especially the last time. I started breaking out real bad, and feeling bloated constantly (like I was putting on weight), and then the worst thing were my breasts started to get real sore. I developed a clogged milk gland on my left breast, and my right one started to lactate a little bit. Of course I freaked out and went to the dr, after a home pg test said negative, they tested me there too and it was negative. But then they tested my hormone levels, and they were all crazy so I had to do some hormone therapy for a while. I'm fine now.
As far as side effects go for the shot. I never really did a whole lot of reading up on it, I just always got it. For me it was the best thng in the world because I didn't have myperiod when I was on it, which I never wanted in the first place. Some people say they gain weight, but my weight was always a constant 135 except for right after I had my daughter it took me some time to get back down to that. And up until the last two shots that I got, the only side effect I had was not having my period I didnt have mood swings, weight gain or loss, or anything else. It was nice too b/c I didn't have to remember to take a pill. You should be able to go to your doctor and ask them for the depro provera shot, or any clinic or planned parenthood should have it as well.
|

replied October 27th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I have two friends that are on the shot, one of my friends got pregnant not only once but twice on the shot, while my other friend callie, didnt get pregnant at all. Just depends on the person adn your body. Hehe. Good luck! The signs are going to be the same of any pregnancy.

-kristin
|

replied October 31st, 2004
Hey Yall Im Back
I went to the doctor and she told me that im not pregnant so I haft to make another apt. To see what the hell is wrong with me
|

replied November 1st, 2004
I will tell you I had to go on the depo shot myself after I had a molar pregnancy and I didn't have my period for a year. I finally decided I had to get off of it, because I could never tell what was going on with my body. I also hated not getting rid of all that waste that your body is supposed to be getting rid of. I didn't like it at all, because the fact if you were having sex, you wouldn't really know if you had gotten pregnant or not. Unless you had the symptoms. I haven't heard good remarks about the shot either from anybody that I know. Its better to take the pill (as long as you remember to take it). That was my problem with the pill. Well good luck to you. Hopefully they find out that it is just the pill messing you up and you will be fine if you are off of it.
|

replied November 1st, 2004
Hey Yall
My shot is due december 20 and I have decided to get off of it I just want my periods to go back to normal hell I might even try to get pregnant if me and my hubby stay together
|

replied September 29th, 2007
Re: Hey Out There
DanielsGirl2323 wrote:
Do yall think I need to take some kind of pregnant test or go to the doctor to determine what the hell is wrong with me Twisted Evil

I read on another board somewhere where this girl's test came back neg. every time even though she was pregnant...She thought it was because of the meds in the shot.. And if that's true it really sucks because I want to know if I'm pregnant to but there is no way of going to the doctor w/o my husband knowing, and I really don't want to worry about it, but it's important because I just converted to the shot yesterday and If I'm pregnant then the shot could be messing my baby..And that scares me..So I really hope you can get this figured out..
|

User Profile
replied September 29th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
The shot is about as effective as the pill, when the pill is taken correctly. The advantage is that it's easier, so it's harder to mess up. If you don't think you can take a pill on time, the shot may be a better alternative, as long as you can make the 3 monthly appointments and keep them!

Other easier options- the patch, the ring (my fav!), an IUD.... They're all about equally effective when taken right, but I think the IUD is even more effective.
|

replied October 27th, 2007
Wondering
could you get pregnant while being on the birth shot if your husband comes on you?
|

replied October 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
NO contraception is 100% effective so there is always a chance you could get pregnant even though it's slim.
|

replied October 30th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Wondering
morena1318 wrote:
could you get pregnant while being on the birth shot if your husband comes on you?

Comes ON you, or IN you?

If he came inside of you, YES, there is a tiny chance you could be pregnant. If he came ON you, then no, you're not pregnant.
|

replied January 4th, 2008
Can You Get Pregnant On the Shot?!
Doctors have told me that once you start the shot, your not protected for a month, then it kicks in.. Is this true?! I mean, I was on the shot for over a year...and then in december i stopped and started using the pills....but id miss a couple days and take the one i missed the next day.. so im guessing my cycle is now messed up cause of missing the pills like that?!...i just got done my monthly..and wednesday is when i went back on the shot.... that day i had sex without any protection, Could there be a possibility I could be pregnant?! Confused
|
Quick Reply