Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Gardnerella Vaginalis

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hello,

i've recently been diagnosed with gardnerella vaginalis after my partner and I (both virgins at the time) had protected intercourse. My problem is i'm not entirely convinced that I was given a true/correct diagnoses. I'm not experiencing any of the symptoms associated with this infection. I am aware that not many women do; however, I am experiencing other symptoms, such as a frequency to urinate, inability to empty my bladder and a bloated stomach. Other symptoms, which I no long experience, include lower abdominal and back pain, particularly on the left and a fever. My gp suggested that my partner be tested for any sti's - he returned normal. This has been going on for a month and a half now during which i’ve taken the following antibiotics and nothing seems to have had an effect (yet), cephalexin nitrofurantoin and metronidazole. I’m still taking metronidazole – I complete the course in three days. I have a history of yeast infection as a child and as a teenager. Two years ago I also had an extremely serious bladder infection, which suddenly started one afternoon, and within two hours it got so bad that I had to be rushed to an emergency clinic. It cleared two days later. What’s the cause behind all this???

All comments will be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 23rd, 2004
Hi pacific blue
i have the same problem with the gardnerella vaginalis. I have had it for a while and I cannot get rid of it. I have tried the metronidazole inserts, flagyl (which left a nasty metal taste in my mouth), and I even douched for 5 days with 4 oz. Of water and 1 tablespoon of baking soda as directed by my obgyn. The last resort my obgyn told me to do was find a douche with bentadine in it but I can't find that anywhere. I believe that I actually did not get the gardnerella until after I had a yeast infection. I have also notice that after having sex with my husband that there is a small odor that makes me very uncomfortable enough not to never want sex again until this matter clears up.
Sorry to have not been much help or providing you answers, but if there is someone out there, please help!
Thanks! Smile
|

replied October 23rd, 2004
Hi pacific blue
i have the same problem with the gardnerella vaginalis. I have had it for a while and I cannot get rid of it. I have tried the metronidazole inserts, flagyl (which left a nasty metal taste in my mouth), and I even douched for 5 days with 4 oz. Of water and 1 tablespoon of baking soda as directed by my obgyn. The last resort my obgyn told me to do was find a douche with bentadine in it but I can't find that anywhere. I believe that I actually did not get the gardnerella until after I had a yeast infection. I have also notice that after having sex with my husband that there is a small odor that makes me very uncomfortable enough not to never want sex again until this matter clears up.
Sorry to have not been much help or providing you answers, but if there is someone out there, please help!
Thanks! Smile
|

replied October 24th, 2004
Experienced User
You can get betadine at any normal supermarket, I think. My stepmother keeps a large bottle of it in the house to clean cuts and scrapes. It's a brownish-red liquid that works kinda like peroxide, only without the bubbles. I'm not so sure i'd want to douche with it though, because it colors your skin brown, and the only thing i've found to remove the color quickly was alcohol.

Daile
|

replied October 24th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Use extreme caution with douching and bacterial vaginosis.Do so only under the supervision of a doctor.You can actually push the bacteria furthur up into your reproductive organs and make the infection harder to treat!!! Left untreated or improperly treated it can cause infertility or other problems down the road.Do not self treat bacterial vaginosis-you need to see the doctor to get the right meds!It may not be abad idea to have your partner tested-if he has the bacteria,he will reinfect you.Good luck.Patty
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Diagnosed :(
I have been diagnosed with two cyst in my right ovary and was told to take birth control cause they might dissolve. then a month later i thought i had a yeast infection and treated it with over the counter stuff, and it happened again the next month and again. Then went in for my yearly pap smear. Well i have been diagnosed gardnerella vaginalis. i have read up on so much material it worries me. Even though i have read it could be an STD as well as an natural bacteria cause for women, it can still be transferable. I worry that my husband might get it and give it back to me. Have your partners been treated for it besides Pacific_blue? And Pacific_blue i have had a lot for the same problems happen to me with in past four years, as well as symptoms.

anyones inputs greatly appreciated Exclamation
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2012
vaginitis gardnarella
dont over focus or worry gardnarella can be treated,,sometimes after taking the flagyl or cream you may just stil be inflamed...also goldenseal douche will take away the burning and doctors online say it will flush out most bad bacteria in a few days...folic acid tablets and sage tea is another natural remedy that worked for me till i got to the doctors office,,,,God bless and try not to panic...
|

replied March 26th, 2012
I had the same thing. I was diagnosed with g.v. About 3 months ago after going to the emergency room with terrible pains in my back and lower right abdomen. I felt like I was going to throw up for about two weeks straight prior to going to the hospital. After 20 hours in the e.r. And after many tests(and plenty of wasted money) they figured it out and gave me a horribly painful shot and put me on 3 different pills. 3 months later an my infection is back, because we hadn't thought of the fact that my boyfriend had probably caught the infection from me and then after being treated, gave it back to me. Won't make thy mistake again.
|

replied March 6th, 2014
a good treatment for all cervico vaginal infections and and cervix uterin precancerous conditions is treatment with Cervugid ovules.
|