Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

Garbled Speech

Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
Had a very unerving experience yesterday. I was sitting in a restaurant with a friend and his small daughter enjoying my meal and I wanted to tell him that when he saw the waitress to have her bring us 2 more drinks. Well, to my amazement, the only thing that came out of my mouth was garbled speech. I simply could not say what I wanted I kept trying to say. My words seemed to be jumbled or twisted around...Didnt have the sense of mind to try to analyze the speech patterns. My thoughts were very clear and I knew what I wanted to say but no matter how hard I tried, the words came out unintelligable. I held my hand up in a "just a minute gesture" and tried to settle myself down. After about 1-2 minutes, I was able to say what I wanted slowly and after about 2 minutes, I had no problem.. Very unnerving. I had no numbness, dizziness, pain, etc. My thoughts were clear (even though a bit panicky). After the episode, I remained quite depressed for several hours. The only thing at all irregular was very low(for me) blood pressure . 100/57. I usually run in the 130/80 range and have been fighting two weeks of higher than normal blood pressure. Have been on medication for 15 years. Take coumadin plus cholestrol lowering drugs. Have had 5 by-passes, both carotids surgically "cleansed" as well as an aorta repair, so I am no novice to
arteriorsclerosis and am a prime candidate for a stroke. Guess my question is...Did I have a tia? Over the past 1 1/2 years I had 3 episodes of peripheral blurring of my vision (only off to the side). Had it in one eye on two different ocassions, and in the other eye one time. Lasted 5-10 miinutes. A major problem is that I am retired and live in mexico and really dont want to go to the local drs for a check up and I am not due to return to the us until early december for my annual physical. Age is 67. Does this sound like tia or could there be another explanation that I am overlooking?
Paul
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Paul Gochenauer
|

replied January 3rd, 2005
Interesting story. Though I am sure I can be of no help, i'd really like to hear how you have been since!

Cheers!

Miss.Mkbns
|

replied September 3rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I have heard that when speech is like that that it is caused from your blood pressure. It has happened to me be4 I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and now take meds for it.

It is like you mix up your letters on the word and it is totally involuntary--
|

replied September 3rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Your mind is fine--but when it hits your mouth it is a switched up!!!
|

replied March 14th, 2006
Experienced User
This happened to me in the summer. I was at a cooking class and all of a sudden I felt like I was about to faint; I did.

Then like for the next 45 minutes I was getting better I could talk fine and then my mom picked me up.

N then she was asking me what I had for breakfast. I ate goldfish crackers so I was trying to say goldfish and all the words wouldnt come out! She had the most frightened look in her eyes i've ever seen. She told me later I had been saying "hungo"
it was extremely frightening, I later vomited 3 times that day.

Idk what caused it or anytthing but I think u may have had a mini-stroke so see the doctor.
|