Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Expired Birth Control...chances of Pregnancy?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I am 19- I have been on birth control for over 2 years now. My medical insurance ended about 6 months ago and I cannot afford it. I was supplied by my gyno with about 12 months worth of free birth control sample packets, this was about a year ago. I have never been able to pay for my birth control so I had went to my gyno while I had insurance to get free sample packets. These packets were to expire may 2004(roughly 5 months ago) and I am on the last one now. How effective are these packets that are expired? I am getting married next september and have un-protected sex. I had an apendectimy when I was 12 and my appendix ruptured and might have caused scaring to my reproductive organs, and have also had chlamydia about 2 years ago and might have gone untreated for a while before then. What are my chances if becoming pregnant?

Question is there anywhere I can get free birth control with a very low income?

Question what are my chances of becoming pregnant now while on expired birth control having other internal reproductive problems?

Thanks- faith
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 12th, 2004
Experienced User
There is alaways a chance to become pregnant. All it takes is one little sperm to make it where it needs to go. As with any expired medication the effectiveness will become less the older it gets, thats why there is a date. I know in canada we have planned parenthood, this is where you can get bc at cost. You should try to find something in your area that can help you.
|

Experienced User
Expired pills might not work. Continue taking them but use backup protection until you can get to a clinic and get some fresh pills.

Don't rely on any hopes that you might be sterile from previous operations and stds. I thought that I probably was from a uterine infection when I was 17 and when I finally had my hysterectomy two months ago, the pathology report said there would have been no trouble at all with me conceiving.

You can find planned parenthood in cleveland - http://www.Plannedparenthood.Org/cleveland /centers.Html

if you are sexually active you should also have a yearly pelvic exam and pap. I know even the low cost clinics can be expensive, but you're worth it, this is your life you're talking about and your future.

Take care.
|

Sterile...
Well if I get pregnant it happens, I want kids but not necessasarily right this minute. But if it happens I am with open arms. I just wonder some times that if I can conceive. I would be terribly depressed if I couldn't have kids. I will see what is around here for me as for free birth control wise, I really cannot afford it at all. I have to pay about $100 a week to a relative to pay off my car so I can have a way to get to work and I only make about $180.00 a week and have several other bills and I have to eat. I honestly would love to go back to college but everything costs money.

Thanks- faith
|

replied May 19th, 2009
I have also been using some bc pills that expired, but they expired the month that I started taking them, do you think it is probably ok? Since they expire in May and I started taking them in the middle of May?
|

replied June 25th, 2009
Most drug companies but are rather aggressive with their expiration dates. They want you to go out my buy new medicine. Not to mention that all expiration dates have a window of extra time built in. Knowing that typical consumers might use something post expiration date, expiration dates are always a little shorter than they need to be.

As for birth control, it is still good 2 years from when you've bought them. Anytime after that is risky. I've heard this fact from multiple doctors. Remember that no matter how old your birth control pills are you still need to take them at the correct time everyday. It has to be within the same 3 hour period to be 99% effective in low dose pills.

I personally worry too much on the pill that I'll end up pregnant. Realistically about 8 out of 100 women end up pregnant on the pill each year. So I use an IUD. Much more effective but a big upfront cost.
|

replied May 16th, 2011
Why aren't you asking the doctor who gave you these pills that have expired and btw, if he/she is a good doctor, would find out for you a place like planned parenthood or another source to get you the free birth control you need.

Of course the best birth control is not to have sexual relations at all.
You will also open yourself up to all kinds of STD's with unprotected sex, having Clamydia is a mild and curable one..don't take the risk of contracting a more serious one like Herpes or genital warts...these do not have a cure and are horrible. Please, please make your partner wear a condom until you are married, then you won't be sorry.
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2011
Taximoni
Taximoni - Marriage doesn't take away STDs. It's not like she's sleeping around, she's just making love with her fiance.
|

replied February 27th, 2012
Mandarsopinion- she's not sleeping around but the partner SHOULD wear a condom...if she's making $80 at 19 years old...now older obviously...and can't afford to pay bills or feed herself, not to mention the wedding expenses which can cost quite a bit...she should not be having kids. Kids can cost hundreds a month...if you can't afford to take care of yourself, you can't afford to take care of a baby.
|

replied February 27th, 2012
I need to delete this thread...
This was written in 2004. I'm 26, almost 27 now. I wish I could delete this post. It's irrelevant now.
|

replied July 2nd, 2012
Have you had any kids? (just now found this googling about expired birth control and now I'm intrigued lol)
|

replied July 2nd, 2012
lol sams mom
|

replied February 20th, 2013
If you didn't have kids in 2004, then there's hope for other girls who are in the same situation.
|