I havent seen farhenheit 9/11, but after watching bowling for columbine, I owuldnt be suprised if it isnt eay to find faults with it big time!! I hate bush and love the idea of someone finding dirt on him to spell out the idiot he is. But u have to discredit michael moore for his sheer lies and lack of proper journalism and evidence!
The deal is that michael moore didn't lie in his documentaries, and you definitely can not call it journalism. It's very opinionated and one sided which is the opposite of journalism. I personally loved bowling for columbine, but I haven't seen fahrenheit 9/11 yet. Michael moore is very anti-bush so of course the movie is going to be anti-bush and full of exaggerations, but not lies.
Yeah, if it was lies then it would be slander and it wouldn't have ever been released.
It may be (and probably is) all one-sided and opinionated, but it cannot be lies otherwise he would be getting the crap sued out of him right now.
Here are just a couple of the things he twisted in that film.
1. The gore victory rally isnt celebrating a florida win. It was held before the polls had even opened.
2. Like all the other networks, fox mistakenly said that gore had won in florida. The first network to retract the florida mistake was cbs, not fox.
3. A 6-month study by a consortium of major newspapers shows that bush would have won the florida recount under any of the terms which gore sought in his lawsuits.
4. Investigation by the palm beach post and others shows that race was not a reason why election officials mistakenly disqualified some voters because they were incorrectly
thought to have felony convictions.
5. Bushs presidency before 9/11 was not in serious trouble. No commentator said that he looked like a lame-duck president. Congress had passed his #1 bill (the tax cut) and was on the way to passing his #2 bill (the education bill). The scene at the end of the movie in which bush tells a rich audience i call you my base, was from an october 2000 charity fund-raiser. Both gore and bush spoke at the fund-raiser and, as is the custom at the fund-raiser, made fun of themselves.
6. in his first eight months in office before september 11th, george w. Bush was on vacation, according to the washington post, forty-two percent of the time. as the
washington post reported, the figure includes weekends, and includes time in vacation locations such as camp david, where bush was workingas when he met with tony blair.
7. In the golf course scene (about the middle of the movie), bush had just heard about a terrorist attack on israel. He called the press together to make a quick statement con-
demning the terrorism against israel. He was not speaking about attacks on the united states.
8. There is no evidence that bush did not read the aug. 6, 2001 presidential daily briefing about al qaeda.
9. He never claimed that the titles vagueness was an excuse for not reading it.
10. The briefing did not say said that osama bin laden was planning to attack america by hijacking airplanes. it said that the fbi has not been able to corroborate such a threat.
11. The saudis left the u.S. Only after air travel was opened for the general public.
12. According to richard clarke and the september 11 commission, clarke personally approved the saudi departures, and the decision went no higher in the chain of com-
13. Moore lied to a tv reporter in claiming that fahrenheit discloses clarkes decision to the audience. Clarke called the saudi exit material in fahrenheit a mistake by moore.
14. Contrary to what fahrenheit claims, the september 11 commission found that many saudis were asked detailed questions before being allowed to leave.
15. James bath did not invest bin laden family money in bushs energy company arbusto. He invested his own money.
16. Baths name was blacked-out from an alabama national guard record released by the white houseas required by federal law, which prohibits the disclosure of health-related personal information.
17. Prince bandar has way too much influence on the u.S. Government, as fahrenheit shows, but american coddling of the saudi tyranny is a long-standing bi-partisan tradition, not a bush invention.
18. Harken energy: bush only sold the stock after company lawyers told him it was ok.
19. The reason that bush beat the rap was because there was no evidence he had engaged in insider trading.
20. The carlyle group is not a bush playground. Many bush opponents are investors, including george soros.
21. The bush administration dealt carlyle a huge financial blow by canceling the crusader missile, one of the few weapons cancellations in the bush administration.
22. The bin ladens dropped out of carlyle before the stock sale. Of the 1.4 billion that the saudis invested in companies with bush connections, the vast majority of the money was invested in carlyle before george h.W. Bush joined the firm.
23. Craig unger claims that the saudis have $860 billion invested in the u.S. The figure appears in his book house of bush, house of saud, but neither of ungers cited sources
support such a large figure.
24. Moore claims that the saudis own 7% of america. but even if you believe ungers fictitious $860 billion figure, the saudis own only about 7% of total foreign investment
in america, which is over 10 trillion dollars. Only if all of america were owned by foreigners could moores claim be correct.
25. The saudi embassy does not receive special protection. It is not the only foreign embassy which is guarded by the u.S. Secret service. An international treaty signed by the u.S. Requires the u.S. To protect any embassy which asks for protection.
26. Moores insinuation that bush runs u.S. Foreign policy according to saudi instructions is contradicted by the afghanistan invasion (which toppled the taliban regime
which the saudis strongly supported), and by the iraq war (which the saudis opposed, in part because iraqi oil will compete with saudi oil).
27. As governor of texas, bush never met with taliban representatives.
28. The proposed unocal pipeline was supported by the clinton administration, but unocal abandoned the pipeline idea in 1998.
29. The new afghani government has signed a protocol to build a pipeline, but it is an entirely different pipeline, in a location hundreds of miles distant from the unocal proposal.
30. Construction has not begun on the new pipeline. Although moore claims that enron stood to benefit from the pipeline, enron has never had any participation in either
31. The bush administration did not welcome taliban diplomats in march 2001, but instead condemned them for failing to hand over osama bin laden.
32. Despite moores pose in the movie, he opposed the afghanistan war, andin december 2002claimed that osama bin laden might be innocent.
33. In claiming that the afghanistan invasion was a mere ruse to protect the saudis, moore omits the results of liberation in afghanistan: destruction of al qaeda training camps, the creation of free elections, more freedom for women, and the homecoming of 1.5 million refugees from the taliban.
34. The various quotes about bush administration cooperation with the september 11 commission have been resequenced to create a false impression. In july 2003, chairman kean complained about lack of cooperation. In february 2004, bush said that the white house had given extraordinary cooperation. Kean agreed, and praised the white house for providing unprecedented access.
35. John ashcroft didnt really lose a senate election to a dead guy. mel carnahan died in a plane crash a few weeks before the election, and the missouri governor had prom-
ised to appoint carnahans widow jean carnahan if voters pulled the lever for mel carnahan.
36. The fbi did not know about al qaeda suspects who were attending flight training schools. The information was never passed above the level of one field office.
37. Ashcroft did not cut overall counter-terrorism funding. He only proposed a one-year cut in a particular program that already had two years of unspent money.
38. Rep. Porter goss says he has an 800 number, and the fahrenheit caption says hes lying. goss does have a tollfree number, although the prefix is 877.
39. Moore say saddams iraq had never murdered a single american citizen. in fact, saddam paid for terrorist bombers in israel who murdered americans, along with people of other nationalities. Saddam also sheltered the american-killing terrorist abu nidal, and the bomb-maker for the 1993 world trade center bombings.
40. In addition, saddam ordered assassination attempts against former president bush and against u.S. Diplomats in the philippines.
41. Moore claims that the saddam regime never threatened to attack the united states. in fact, in 1997 the regime publicly ordered: american and british interests, embassies,
and naval ships in the arab region should be the targets of military operations and commando attacks by arab political forces. on the first anniversary of september 11, saddam's regime called for suicide attacks on americans.
42. Moore claims that there was no connection between iraq and al qaeda. In fact, there is an extensive record of collaboration althoughas the september 11 commission
announcedthere is no proof that saddam participated beforehand in al qaeda attacks on america.
43. Fahrenheit shows condoleezza rice saying, oh, indeed there is a tie between iraq and what happened on 9/11. the audience laughs derisively. Here is what rice really said on nov. 28, 2003: "oh, indeed there is a tie between iraq and what happened on 9/11. Its not that saddam hussein was somehow himself and his regime involved in 9/11, but, if you think about what caused 9/11, it is the rise of ideologies of hatred that
lead people to drive airplanes into buildings in new york. This is a great terrorist, international terrorist network that is determined to defeat freedom. It has perverted islam
from a peaceful religion into one in which they call on it for violence. And theyre all linked. And iraq is a central front because, if and when, and we will, we change the nature of iraq to a place that is peaceful and democratic and prosperous in the heart of the middle east, you will begin to change the middle east...."
44. Moore portrays pre-liberation iraq as a happy nation of kite-flying and weddings. In fact, a sixth of the population had fled saddams tyranny. The united nations and
amnesty international condemned the systematic, widespread and extremely grave violations of human rights and of international humanitarian law by the government of
iraq, resulting in an all-pervasive repression and oppression sustained by broad-based discrimination and widespread terror.
45. The only iraqi casualties which moore shows are civilians, although military casualties far outnumbered civilian.
46. When showing pictures of buildings being blown up, moore does not reveal that many of them were military buildings, and civilians were never allowed anywhere near
47. A humorous sequence making fun of tiny countries in the iraq liberation coalition does not even mention the major countries in the coalition, such as the u.K., spam unapproved, italy, and japan. Not a deceit, but mean-spirited and exploitive: the footage of the funeral of u.S. Air force maj. Gregory stone at arlington national cemetery appears without his family's permission, and over their vehement objection. Major stone strongly believed in the iraq mission, as does his family. The footage of massachusetts national guardsman peter damon, who is undergoing therapy at walter reed army medical center is also used without his permission.
48. Despite moores claims, american media have not been mindlessly supportive of the iraq war. For example, peter jennings has been extremely critical. The evidence that
moore offers to portray jennings as a war supporter is a clip of jennings reporting in april 2003 that saddams army had collapsedwhich was true.
49. The scene of american soldiers making fun of a man underneath a sheet is not torture of a prisoner of war. They are making fun of a drunk who passed out in the street.
50. Moore reports that bush proposed closing some veterans hospitals. But he also proposed opening other veterans hospitals.
51. Bush once opposed renewing a special bonus of $75/month for soldiers in imminent danger zones. moore claims that bush proposed cutting combat soldiers pay by 1/3; but a soldier's pay and benefits is over $27,000 per year, even at low enlisted grades.
52. While making false claims about a bush pay cut, moore omits the fact that bush sought and won a 3.7% military pay raise in 2003.
53. Moore claims that only one congressman has a child in iraq. Actually, two do. (democratic senator tim johnson of s.D., and republican rep. Duncan hunter of california.) also, john ashcroft has a son on a naval ship in the persian
54. Fahrenheit deceptively cut the footage of rep. Mark kennedy to make it look like kennedy rebuffed moores request to help enlist congressional children. In fact,
kennedy said it was a good idea, and offered to help.
55. Fahrenheit shows rep. Michael castle walking past moore. But rep. Castle is childless.
56. Based on census bureau data, congressional families are more likely than other families to have children serving in iraq.
57. Moore calls flint, michigan, my hometown. in fact, he grew up in davison, a much wealthier and much whiter suburb.
58. In fahrenheit, moore pretends to support our troops. But in fact, he supports the enemy in iraq-the coalition of saddam loyalists, al qaeda operatives, and terrorists con-
trolled by iran or syria-who are united in their desire to murder iraqis, and to destroy any possibility of democracy in iraq. Here is what moore said on april 14, 2004, about the
forces who are killing americans and trying to impose totalitarian rule on iraq: the iraqis who have risen up against the occupation are not insurgents or terrorists or the
enemy. they are the revolution, the minutemen, and their numbers will growand they will win. do you really think that someone who wants iraq to be ruled by islamist or
baathist tyranny, and who deliberately kills innocent civilians with car bombs, is like the american minutemen?
59. As reported in the trade journal screen daily, affiliates of the iranian and syrian-backed terrorist group hezbollah are promoting fahrenheit 9/11, and moores middle east distributor, front row, is accepting the terrorist assistance: in terms of marketing the film, front row is getting a boost from organizations related to hezbollah which have rung up from lebanon to ask if there is anything they can do to support the film. And although [front rows managing director giancarlo] chacra says he and his company feel strongly that fahrenheit is not anti-american, but anti-bush, we cant go
against these organizations as they could strongly boycott the film in lebanon and syria. (nancy tartaglione, fahrenheit to be first doc released theatrically in middle east, screen daily.Com, june 9, 2004. The story is discussed in samantha ellis, fahrenheit 9/11 gets help offer from hezbollah, the guardian (london), june 17, 2004.)
Personally I can not stand moore!! He distorted the facts to fit his agenda!! He did lie on several things!! I could care less if he hates bush he should have told the truth!! Yes he can lie and not be sued for slander b/c it was a movie not a documentry as the box suggests! If you recall the orginal company refused to publish it because of it's nature!! I think he should be put on trial for it!! Whether someone hates the president or not that is thier choice but you still should support your country. Underminding bush does not help n e one but the terrorists!! Ok I spoke my peace lol!!
......Everything in the film was checked by several groups of independant fact checkers. Google it if you don't believe me. Also, you can be sued for slander if you say things that aren't true - in any context, film or not. It's an editorial, not an inquiry, but to argue that everything is false because mm has a political point he is trying to prove is going too far. By that notion you'd have to exclude many news networks, especially fox, which was the greatest provider of neo-con news on the continent.