Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Pancreatitis Life Expectancy

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
My very good friend was diagnosed with chrnoic idiopathic pancreatitis 4 years ago. He is in the hospital at least 3 weeks out of every month. Lately, his hospitalizaitons have been very frequent. I know he is addicted to the narcotics they use to treat pancreatitis, which is dilaudid. He is in complete denial that he is addicted and I am at my wits end. It is so hard to help him when I know he is drug seeking. He visits all of the hospitals in our valley. There are 5 that he skips around to. My frustration is the doctors. They just keep on giving him the dilaudid. No one is willing to try and help him. The surgeon that claims to have an 85% success rate in performing a sugery that will stop the attacks will not operate on him until his pain tolerance is low. How can his pain tolerance get lowered when all of the hospitals keep on aiding him?

I was reading some things on line about pancreatits, and one fact I came across was that most people don't live past 7 years from diagnosis. Has anyone else ever heard this? Also, do you have any suggestions on how I can deal with the doctors and his addiction.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mammamia65
|

replied October 19th, 2004
My Opinion
My opinion (forgive me but I am only 23) is to call the local hospitals and let them know what he is doing (skipping from one to the other to get meds). If they dont care it is actually against the law for the doctors to feed an addictions with meds that are uneccesarry (ie. Deosnt need 20 of them to last a week). If the doctors dont care you can try to see if you can get ahold of the medical board of directors in your area and report it to them. The only other suggetstion is outside help as in a hotline, or maybe even someone from the department of human services (which could possibly tell you where to go with your complaint on the doctors.) hope this was any help at all.
William
|

replied January 17th, 2010
hi, i was diagnosed with alcoholic chronic pancreatitis ten years ago,
i now have insulin dependent diabetes, and for pain I take 2 x 50mg Oxycontin daily
but pain is coming through very strong again and I think it needs increased again.
the pain is as bad as it ever was with acute attacks
I havent touched alcohol for almost 3 years and stopped smoking over a year ago
I take creon enzymes and ensure food supplements
Although I have multiple secondary illnesses associated with pancreatitis
My main problem again is the pain.....its back to being unrelenting and very severe.
I am never out over the door anymore and it gets me very down and depressed. I live on milky porridge and cornflakes and warm milk, but still the pain is coming through extremely sore, I dont bother with hospitals any longer as I can fast and take fluids myself at home......but recently thats all I seem to be doing.........no matter what i eat now, I get the pain within an hour and it lasts for ever
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY KIND OF ADVICE FOR ME PLEASE...............
|

replied August 20th, 2010
Your friend is not an addict, He is in agony and looking for relief. Only those with this or someone living with one who has this disease can get understand his desperation. This agony controls his life. if he could find a good pain management clinic, he wouldnt(nor should he have to) go to these extremes to get some relief
|

replied May 13th, 2011
pancreatitis
i've had hereditary pancreatitis on and off since i was a child. i've never smoked and i gave up drinking on diagnosis, i am now twenty three and my attack's are becoming more frequent and the pain is intensifying. masking the pain with pain relief is all us sufferer's can really fall back on. so if we are constantly in pain, addiction is inevitable
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2013
Help needed here too...
I was diagnose right after my gastric bypass and seeing that you accually live 7 years with this pain makes me want to end it sooner. It's now 2 1/2 hrs for me and I'm already desperate on what to do about this. I'm so tired of being in pain and some days I just don't get out of bed. Can I sue my surgeon? Is there anything we can do?
|