Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Pressure Headaches In Back of Head, Vertigo Feelings..help (Page 1)

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hello to everyone and thank you for reading. I am getting very depressed about these feelings. It was about 2 months ago I had this feeling come over me like when my sugar levels drop(hypoglycemic). It came so fast and I thought that is what it was. I did what I needed to do but the symptoms have become bad pressure on the base of head with these headaches that feel like deep dull aching pain. I also get these striking feelings in my brain. But mostly in a certain spot right in the bottom middle of the head (deep). I have vertigo and I feel strange shaking feeling inside,like tremore in my head,anxiety, and not feeling like myself anymore. My heart beats weird sometimes (like when I bend over and come back up). Since I have been feeling this way it feels like when my sugar drops. But the headaches, and pressure and vertigo is the worse. I not really tired or have feelings of weakness in limbs. I have had mri, catscan but both came back normal. I did have a lumbar epidural about 2half months ago and since that my sypmtoms totally got worse or that is when I felt all of this. I am seeing a great neurologist and ent. Is it normal to hurt still where the epidural was done. Could this be the spinal fluid? I never felt this before and I need serious help..Feel like dieing. I have had my thyroid,parathyroid, calcuim checked..Hormone test..Normal. Please can anyone help. I asked the doc if I had ms..Or parkinsons, huntingtons, he says no..
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper happy1950
|

replied October 12th, 2004
Re: Pressure Headaches In Back of Head, Vertigo Feelings..he
Hi:

have you had a glucose tolerance test to see if you suffer from hypoglycemia?

Roberto
|

replied October 13th, 2004
Hello
Hello thank your for the reply, yes I am hypoglycemic. I just had a spinal mri yesterday to see if anything else is going on. I also have pain striking burning pain where I had my gallbladder removed about 3yrs ago. Do you know if this could be related? I wish I could find out what is going on. But the headaches and vertigo had got me stumped. Have you ever heard of this?

Thank you,
steph
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2006
Community Volunteer
Those symptoms are quite common. I rarely get the vertigo, and it's only when I lay on a certain side on certain days (depends on what I ate). Headaches are quite common, so don't worry. There is probably no connection. Hypoglycemia can do some pretty strange things to your body, so pretty much anything you feel is stemming from it. Try not to worry about other diseases. Though there may be similarities, if your symptoms are intermitent, there one day and gone the next, it's all hypoglycemia.
|

replied January 6th, 2006
Hey Proffesional Female!
You know I have the exact syptoms you have and it makes me feel a lot better to know that someone else has them. I get the same kind of striking feeling in my head it is like a strange wave almost, kind of like dizziness or something, but my equillibrium is fine. I do get the vertigo and such as well and then if I do not settle down it can set right into a panic attack.I also get this tight pressure type feeling at the base of my neck as well. It all started for me about 2.5 weeks ago and it does not happen all the time and I find if I get working away I tend to forget about it and it seems to go away. It is certainly concerning me as well. I am going to look into the hypoglycemia angle and see if there is anything there I can try. I would just really like to get back to normal and not feel this anxiety.
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2006
Community Volunteer
From what i've found through having this disease, cutting carbohydrate intake until you experience little if any symptoms is the best approach. I used to get the other symptom you mention. It was almost like there was a lightswitch in my brain that was being shut on and off quickly for a split second. Felt like my brain was shutting down for a moment. After cutting carbs, this feeling went away in about two days. Based on readings, you should be getting no more than 100g of carbohydrates per day. At first, you may need to drop this total drastically until you experience a significant change. I currently am only eating about 60g a day. The atkins diet suggests 20g at first, so don't worry, it won't hurt you. The hypoglycemic diet can only make you feel better, if anything.
|

replied May 29th, 2012
Hi there... I know this is a very old thread but I wondered if you ever found out if this may be more than carb intake levels? Just a few months ago I experienced the lightswitch effect you mentioned. It happened just before I was going to bed, I felt as though I was dying because I never experienced anything like it. Now I have a fullness feeling in the central back part of my head and I get feelings of dizziness at times throughout the day but it is not vertigo. It has worried me and I had a battery of bloodwork done and my sugar levels seem within normal (the doctor even had me test my levels throughout the day for a week...all were fine)
|

replied September 3rd, 2012
Hi im also reading this thread a bit later then it started, but its good to know I'm not alone. I have been experiencing the same things. I wake up every day with a dulling headache at the base of my skull and neck and it lasts all day. The last four-six months I have been getting dizzy spells, feeling of passing out, but always "catching" myself before hand. Like that whole light switch thing you guys are talking about. This last time, It effected my speech...like it was harder to find the words to say for a few days after. I feel in a constant daze, foggy headed, low energy, dulling pain in my head all the time. Its frustrating and heart breaking and effecting my life and work. DR's found nothing wrong with my comprehensive metabolic lab results. Although im due for thyroid testing this wk as well as MRI within the next two wks. I wonder if it's vision related? for I find it hard to focus on things sometimes, even simply scanning the room. Could this all be related to hypoglycemia? thank you for your information, and that i'm not alone.
|

replied May 24th, 2006
I am experiencing this exact same thing right now but am not hypoglycemic.

For 5 weeks now I ahve had a pressure in the back of the head, headaches and constant wavey feeling (vertigo) to varying degrees. Some days I ahev not been able to get out of bed while others I can but am very tired and dizzy throughout the day.

I have had an eng (ear, nose and throat Dr.) , mri, mra and seen a neuologist. Evrything is normal but I am still spinning. It is really beniginng to impact my life as I travel for a living and have not been able to for awhile now but the bosses are getting pushy.

I wish someone could give me a diagnoses and some help for this. I just started vestibualr rehabilitation but so far no improvement.
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Are you sure you don't have hypoglycemia? Were you tested, or are you just assuming this since you don't have any other symptoms? Some people just get vertigo as an illness in itself, but i'm not sure what you have to do for it.
|

replied May 24th, 2006
Hi stan,

when you say it's a good idea to eat 100g of carb a day, what are you counting?

Are you counting the veggies and leafy greens?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Everything that has carbohydrates.
|

replied May 25th, 2006
stan stepanic wrote:
are you sure you don't have hypoglycemia? Were you tested, or are you just assuming this since you don't have any other symptoms? Some people just get vertigo as an illness in itself, but i'm not sure what you have to do for it.

i was tested several years ago and it was negative. In addition, when I began having these problems I purchased a glochometer and have checked my sugar levels at various times. I am always exactly where I am supposed to be.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Have you been tested for allergies? You could be allergic to something common and not even know about it.
|

replied May 25th, 2006
stan stepanic wrote:
have you been tested for allergies? You could be allergic to something common and not even know about it.

i am actually going for a ct scan tomorrow and allergy testing next week.

I already take allergey meds (allegra) but have never experienced vertigo or the type of pressure I have been having this past 5 weeks.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Might want to get an mri done too.
|

replied May 25th, 2006
Posted in original post:

Quote:
i have had an eng (ear, nose and throat Dr.) , mri, mra and seen a neuologist

i have had one and all the other things above and still no diagnoses or ideas from the dr's
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Oh okay, sorry I missed it up there. Hmmm, what else? I assume you've had a battery of blood tests done? How about stress or tension tests?
|

replied May 25th, 2006
Tested For Hypoglycemia?
Hi all,

have you guys been tested for hypoglycemia at the doctor?

I haven't, because I don't know what will happen when I have to fast to take the test.

Mayra from nyc.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2006
Community Volunteer
The test isn't absolutely necessary, it pretty much only gives you paperwork to show to employers and such. Otherwise, by going on the diet you can figure it out yourself.
|

replied March 6th, 2007
Hi Stan
About the carbohydrates thing...it was mentioned that veggies that contain them count in that 100 g. The problem is I am a vegetarian, so what vegetables should I not eat a lot of or what even do I eat? If its too much to type where can I find this information out?
|

replied December 12th, 2007
Same Symptoms
I have the same symptoms- had my blood glucose test 3 times in the last few days. I kept thinking I was stroking when my skull tingles and I had all this pressure in the base of my skull by my neck and my face felt numb in spots- they only did a CT Scan (even though I requested MRI). I wonder if it's muscle tension related since there are muscles that stretch up the base of the skull. They told me I have Costrochondritis (sp?), Fibromyalgia, and Anxiety + Post-Partum. I know I definately have Seasonal Depression with anxiety, the costo thing from lifting a heavy treadmill. Every dr. gives a different diagnosis. Did anyone check the muscle tension in their upper back and neck? All this straining over the keyboard probably adds to that. Let me know if you come up with anything else.
I think the dr.s think I'm crazy sometimes. I wonder if it's MS starting, too, since I have another autoimmune disease.
|