Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Missed Pill, Bleeding?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I missed one of my pills on saturday, I realized that when I went to the bathroom and saw that I was bleeding, so I took the pill right away, and took the next pill at the regular time.

It is tuesday and there is still just a little bit of bleeding.. But its tapering off. Is it weird that the bleeding has lasted a couple of days? I skipped the inactive pills on my last pack to skip my period for a weekend - the weekend before I missed the pill. Can that make a difference?

Is it possible that I could be pregnant? The last time I had sex was the sunday before the saturday that I missed the pill. Almost a whole week.
Will the bleeding stop? Would it be safe to start having sex again this friday (7 days after my missed pill)? Ive been taking them regularly since I missed it.

Thanks for the help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 6th, 2004
Experienced User
Yes you will stop bleeding and I don't think you are pregnant. And as for haveing sex on friday you just mit wan't to you a condom just to be safe.
|

replied February 17th, 2013
i missed my pill on this friday and saturday and i had unprotected sex quite a few times from friday to sunday(today) i am really worried i could be pregnat is that possable? but i have toke all th pills today and i have started bleeding what should i do?
|

replied October 6th, 2004
But as far as saturday goes - then 8 days, I should be ok?
|

replied October 7th, 2004
Experienced User
If you miss a pill by a few hours I wouldnt risk having unprotected sex during the rest of thst pack. What you had was breakthrough bleeding your hormone level was disrupted enough for the lining of the uterus to start shedding.
|

replied October 8th, 2004
Experienced User
I would doubt you are pregnant too, especially since you remembered and took it at a reasonable time and it was several days in between... I imagine the bleeding is from taking the pack of pills back to back. I did that once on the pill as well.. And I missed my period when I was supposed to get it.. But then got it on the second week of the next pack instead.. Instead of during the inactive pills. Missing the one pill may have just started the breakthrough bleeding. I wouldn't worry about it. Once you get back on your next pack at a regular interval it will even itself out.
|

replied June 16th, 2010
hi, i missed 2 pills in a row in a pack, and when i remembered i took the 2 i missed and then the next day i took another 2 because thats what my pack said to do.
unfortunetly i had heavy breakthrough bleeding, and its pretty much like my normal period when im on the placebo pils in the back. im still bleeding a bit, and im suppose to take the placebo ones in 4 days, would it be a good idea to continue onto a new pack since i basically just had my period a few days before, or should i still not take anything for the 7 days?
|

replied December 12th, 2012
missed pills
hi, im half way through my pill packet and i have come on my period i think, i have spotted for a few days but now it is quite heavy i have missed about six pills, and i didnt take my pill until two days after i started my period after my 7 day break, do i start a new pack now or when i stop bleeding? and what do i do with the pack im half way through now ?!!!
|

replied February 18th, 2013
I was taking ortho tri cyclen when I missed a pill like you did and I bleed for two weeks straight. It was heavy and just awful especially because it was close to Christmas and I was moody, but I went to the er because it definitely was not going to stop on it's own and the doctor put me on this pill named Natazia, which is supposed to help with heavy periods and the breakthrough bleeding went away on day two on this pill.

I don't think you are pregnant, but if missing one pill makes you bleed, then I think it's time to look into another method of birth control or pill because something is going on with your hormone levels. It could be too much estrogen or too much progesterone. Take note of this if you happen to miss a pill again. I had a terrible experience with breakthrough bleeding and I would not wish it on my worse enemy. Good luck to you.
|

replied June 7th, 2013
Contraceptive pill
Hi I missed two pill in my pack And as soon as I realised I took all three (including today's) in the one go as I was freaking out and didn't think about what I was doing, but then I looked it up and realised I should have taken two today and two tomorrow. I'm worried mostly because I'm not bleeding and I thought you just were supposed to when you miss a pill? As I've missed one before and bled. I've had sex at least once on the days I missed the pill, but we always use a condom. Is not bleeding bad? Also I've noticed cramps after taking the pills.
|

replied June 10th, 2013
Hi everyone..

I need help.. I missed three pills in my 4 week pack
And I noticed I started bleeding before my 4 weeks was up.
Im so worried to why its happened. I have been bleeding for about 4 to 5 days now...
Will it stop soon? N im ment to be getting my normal peridos in two days!
Bleeding this much ok??? Sad
|

replied January 17th, 2014
missed pills
Hi everyone,

I had lost my Necon pills, I missed a total of 5 days. Once I found them I immediately started where I left off. I did notice I was spotting, that contined so on tuesday I continued bleeding... its been 4 days back on the pill, so i decided to let it me and i stopped the pill and to this day i'm still bleeding, it seem like it had stopped, and this morning its back. What should i do? should i restart the pack this sunday? this is so fustrating... please help.
|