Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

My Younger Sister Has Epilepsy

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
My name is brian and I am a college student at avila university. My family just found out that my 14 year old sister has epy. I witnessed one of her seisures first hand it was one of the scariest things that I have ever seen in my life. I was hoping that some one could give me any information at all on what causes these attacks. She is a very healthy young girl other than this disease. The first time she ever had one the doctors said that she had a grand mall seisure what ever that means. Then she had two in one day and they diagnosed her with epilepsy. If anyone can give me any information at all it would and will be much appriciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 9th, 2003
Experienced User
I'm a Victim
Hello brian
it has something to do with the brain. The way I read it in my book is a group of neouns that tend to discharge excessively. There is a unbalnce in the brain. If you want more infor the book is called (epy a new approach) what meds can do; what you can do for yourself by richard & reiter, m.D.
I'm 44, iwas 38 when I had my first g-mal. I have 2 boys, now they are 18 and 20. So it was very hard for them. My 18 is still with me going to college this jan. I don't know what it would be like on the other side watching it happen. I can just say that my boyfriend of 4 years that I have known since high school makes light of it. He jokes about what he does when I out to try to get me to come out of them. I think he does it so my youngest does'nt feel so bad. He's been with me this last 4 years. I'm divorced. My oldest was the wild one, I think maybe thats his way of coping with it. Write me and let me know how your sister is. What meds do they have her on. Any m.R.I.? E.E.G.? How many doc.? Blows to the head when she was younger, spinal menigitis, bad case of measles? Let me know. These are questions they ask me. I had all of them. They did brain surgery at u.C. Davis june 2002 my seizures have lessoned. Still can't drive. But i'm here talking to you sharing my story. Jamie
|

replied October 22nd, 2005
I Have Seizures
Sorry to hear about your sister. When was born with epilesy because the doctor wouldnt deliver me.What kind of test did the doctors do on you sister.Make sure they do every test there is for epilesy.There has been alot of people I know just started to have seizures out of the blue.If your sister was ever dropping on her head when she was a baby or ever hit her head hard.That can cause her to have seizures.It doesnt matter how long ago or how hard she had hit her head.It could still make her have seizures.Make sure they do a eeg on your sister.If you ever need to talk to anyone about your sister or have questions let me know.I had 3 days of my life I had siezures when I was born.I didnt have anymore intill I turn 10.The ages 10 though 12 I had 5 grand mal seizures.Than my doc put me on keppra.I was seizure free for 3 years.When I turn 15 I started to get them again.Know I have partcual seizures.Ask your sister doctor about keppra it is a great!!! I havent had a grand mal seizures since I been on it.If yout sister needs anyone to talk to let me know.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh