Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Strange Tooth-like Growth In Gums

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Okay, this is kind of a weird problem, and I don't know how to describe it. It's happened to me twice in my life. Basically, a strange hard substance that feels like a tooth starts to emerge from a spot on my gums. It happened the first time when I was an adolescent, on the outer side of my gums below my front lower teeth. This time, it's happened in the spot where I have a wisdom tooth lurking under my gums.

I thought that this strange tooth-like growth actually was my wisdom tooth, but it was too sharp for a tooth surface, and I could wiggle it back and forth. When I was young, I accidentally pulled out this strange object, but it's too long ago for me to remember clearly. This time, I think I broke a piece of it off, but the base of it is still in there.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? It feels like a thin piece of a tooth, but it just grows out of my gums, below my teeth.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 6th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds like it could be part of your wisdom tooth.Your best bet is to see a dentist.If the tooth is indeed broken off,it will get infected and that could spell more trouble if you wait.Good luck!Patty
|

replied October 6th, 2004
Well, I managed to get the thing out (it was tiny, but it sure didn't feel that way). I took it to my father, who is a doctor, and he said it was probably a piece of bone from my jaw that got dislodged and came up along with my wisdom tooth. Apparently, that happens sometimes...
|

replied September 13th, 2010
AS a matter of fact I am having this problem today and went to the dentist to check it out. He says it is the bone beneth the tooth on the inside of my gum is expanding. It breaks through the skin of the gum and feels like a blister. I have broken of pieces of bone with my fingernail that have proturded the skin of the gum. I recently had a lower left wisdom tooth extracted. That may have caused a shifting of the adjoining tooth or released pressure on it. It throbs like hell and hurts. I was given an antibiotic called Amoxicilln 500 mg. and Oxyfresh dental gel to sooth the pain. We will see what that does.
|

replied July 29th, 2012
Gum Growth
Thank you, all of you for sharing your experiences. I too have this strange white 'bone looking' growth on my top gum and I was reluctant to see a dentist/doctor about it because I was frightened of what they might tell me. The pain started just alongside my right nostril, ang slowly started travelling downwards till it reached my gum (by which time it had become visable) I have been using corsodyl mouthwash and bongela because I thought it was an ulcer - but nothing worked. Now at least I have a bit more idea as to what the problem may be. Thanks again!
|