Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Can Taking 2 Many Vitamins Make Me Sick?

Im currently taking coral calcium,one a day weight smart vitamin supplement, and an antioxidant vitamin ....And I was lookin on the back of the bottles and realized they have all the same vitamins. Am I taking 2 many?Can taking 2 many vitamins hurt me ?Ive been feeling very tired lately and I figured the vitamins would help but 2 be honest im actually feeling worse since ive been taking them im not sure if its cuz im taking 2 many I just wanted 2 make sure it was safe. Thanks 2 anyone who can help me.Oh and does anyone know if its safe 4 me 2 give my 11 year old son coral calcium? Im gonna check with his Dr. And my pharmacist but id like 2 hear other opinions also. Thank~you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 6th, 2003
Thanx
Thank~u 4 responding jimm. And I will check that info out that u gave me
|

replied December 31st, 2003
Re: Can Taking 2 Many Vitamins Make Me Sick?
silent_starr_99 wrote:
im currently taking coral calcium,one a day weight smart vitamin supplement, and an antioxidant vitamin ....And I was lookin on the back of the bottles and realized they have all the same vitamins. Am I taking 2 many?Can taking 2 many vitamins hurt me ?Ive been feeling very tired lately and I figured the vitamins would help but 2 be honest im actually feeling worse since ive been taking them im not sure if its cuz im taking 2 many I just wanted 2 make sure it was safe. Thanks 2 anyone who can help me.Oh and does anyone know if its safe 4 me 2 give my 11 year old son coral calcium? Im gonna check with his Dr. And my pharmacist but id like 2 hear other opinions also. Thank~you

hi !!!

I'd check out the coral calcium at the better life institute.....
|

replied March 9th, 2004
Experienced User
Too much of anything is bad. I would stick to taking one multivitamin per day. I take women's one-a-day but if you go to a health food store, you could get more advice..
|

replied March 31st, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
For the most part if you take too many of one vitamin, then your body will flush it out. But there are certain ones that you should not take too many of. Iron being one. So, I would check with your doctor if you really need to be taking all of those vitamins. Like the above post mentioned, I also take a vitamin like "one a day" and then I take a calcium supplement on top of that to get my 100% of daily vitamins. But, I cannot take iron at all as it makes me sick, so I have to take the stuff for "seniors". Lol
|

replied January 25th, 2005
Vitamins
Can I take two vitamins a day?
|

replied March 2nd, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Stick with a once a day vitamin. Only one a day!

Please dont buy into the hype of the scam artist companies like gnc and many of the other companies taking advantage of the public by offering miraculous results with their special formulation.

There is not a shred of actual true scientific evidence that these products can do anything but assist in good nutrition with a proper diet and a trust worthy multi-vitamin.

Buying from either bayer (one-a-day) or even a simple store brand vitamin will do just fine and will provide the added vaules for a full day. Do not exceed the rda especially with vitamin a! It is extreemly dangerous and not needed. It is a fat souluable vitamin and cannot be excreted! Also according to consumer reports, coral calcium is not nearly as effective as the calcium that can be ingested from tums and other antacids. (jan 2005)

i hope this helps and please dont believe everything you read on the lables, these companies are not regulated by anyone and so they are in the business to make money and get away with as much as possible.
|

replied March 25th, 2008
Vitamin needs
Actually, the USRDA amount is the MINIMUM that you need to keep your body from disease. It is not the amount that you need for best nutrition. Typically, it is far lower than the amount you need to feel your best. For example, B12 RDA is 2.4 mcg (on government website last I checked) yet for myself, I need 1000 mcg minimum.

I would see a doctor, have your blood levels tested for all vitamins, then find a supplement or two that meets your needs.

Oh, and to the last post about vitamin A, you can safely take 25000-35000. Levels ABOVE 100,000 IU are considered toxic...no where near the RDA of 700 IU.

I would also recommend reading The Optimum Nutrition Bible. I was hesitant to read it at first, but I found it full of information!
|

replied March 25th, 2008
Experienced User
GNLD?
THIS IS NOT AN ADVERT!

GNLD...(Golden Nu Life Diamite International) has been claiming for years (30+) that theyre products don't accumulate in your system and that it is formulated to allow your body to only consume as much vitamins as it actually needs.

I don't know how true this statement is, as too much vitamins is definately bad for you...espetially caratenoid's & calcium...
|

replied March 27th, 2008
maximums
While I can't find anything on the company you mentioned, it is possible that they use low enough amounts that you are ok. The only vitamins you really need to watch for are the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K). The rest actually have very large amounts that you can take before it is considered dangerous.

Even the "maximum potency" multi vitamin that I take only has 100% USDA values for most of the vitamins...which is just the minimum to keep a person healthy. For example, it has 2.4 mcg of B12. Yet I personally need 1000 mcg of b12 for my body to function properly. So the USDA is no where near the amount that can hurt you.
|

replied March 27th, 2008
Experienced User
Nice, thanks for the info Elizz Smile

P.S. They have a web-site, but not wanting to cause advertising, I'm not gona show it here. Plus, they are a direct-sales only company, so you won't find theyre products in a pharmacy or a shop...it has to be sold to you by a distributor...
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD