Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Teen With An Ulcer?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum.

My 17 year old daughter may have an ulcer. She has been treated for anixety problems for the past few years and is doing great now...However has been complaining of a sore tummy below her rib cage which feels better after eating. This sore stomach actually will sometimes wake her up in the middle of the night and she has to eat to feel better. The sore stomach goes away for a few weeks but then returns.

Now my question is I have read that ulcers are usually in the elderly. Do teens get ulcers as well or is this a rare occurance.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 27th, 2004
Experienced User
Teens can get ulcers, yes. Especially since she had been struggling with anxiety. High stress and anxiety are common triggers at any age. A good step is that she is doing good on the treatment of anxiety which means if she does have an ulcer it will help it heal. I would go to a doctor. There is a test they can do to determine if she has one. If it comes back negative they may send her to a gastroenterologist for further tests. They've tested me several times for that same thing and the same symptoms. For me though it turned out I had gastric reflux disease (gerd) or bad heartburn in which I just take a pill every day to keep it down. I've been battling stomach problems since my mid to late teens as well so I know the "fun" of it all.
|

replied September 28th, 2004
Thanks For Replying
...To my posting. I did take her yesterday to the doctor and they are running a few tests on her to find out what it is. I guess I was just surprised to think of a teenager getting an ulcer however you are correct...Given her history with anxiety this could happen.

I do hope you are feeling a lot better yourself. Funny how many people suffer from this condition but thank goodness there are meds to help nowadays.
|

replied December 16th, 2004
What kind of tests did they do? I went to the doc for stomach problems and they say I have to have an endoscopy, thats the only test...But its like they put you to sleep and its in the hopsital.
|

replied December 16th, 2004
Yes teens can get ulcers...I was 16 when I was diagnosed with ulcers. They made do a colonscopy at the age too very painful back then. I have irriatble bowl syndrome ibs. I was very stressed out as a teen and as I got older it got worse. I am now pregnant and sometimes it comes and goes but very fraustrating when you can'!**@! certain foods or drink certain things. You might want to have her check for ibs or it could be something else. Hope this helps.
|

replied December 19th, 2004
I am only 14 and go an ulcer recently due to stress, I went to the doctor and got medicine for it..But it hurt when I ate..?
|

replied January 20th, 2005
Well, I just turned 17 today.. And I didn't want to go to school.. And I had to have a legal document to miss anymore school.. So I had the bright idea of going to the doctor, over my stomach, because I had been having pain for a while now. I figured that we'd go in, and they'd say something, and we'd come straight back out. And then I could go and have my nails done all in one day.. Well, it didn't quite work that way.. We went in and the doctor thought that I had ulcers. So we did lab tests; the tests came back positive that I have the bacteria in my bloodstream that can cause ulcers. So now they're putting me on medicine for two weeks. I have to take six pills in the morning, and six pills in the evening. Now supposably, the pills aren't that great for other things. They help that but cause alot of problems, not something I need. But i'll live with it. Anyhow, if that doesn't help, they're going to do an ultra sound on my gallbladder(sp?) and then they'll have to run a scope down my throat to check. If all else fails, i'll more than likely have to have surgery. All in a day's bithday time..
Steph
|

replied January 20th, 2005
**birthday** sorry that I messed that up, y'all.
Steph
|

replied January 31st, 2005
Ulcers
Hello everybody, I am new here

i been having these pains in my stomache and chest for the last 2 and a half years. Also ive notice as well as my girlfriend that the area around my left lower ribs and just under it is more raised(puffier) than the right. Also get increased burning in the chest stomache. For the first year and a half I could not go to sleep, I would stay up untill I basically passed out, I could not go shoppin, clubs or even go out to friends to socialize without feeling discomfort, even to the point of throwing up. I had 2 ultrasounds and one gastro in the past, the gastro only found that I had a stomache bug, which I had to take pills for(4 pills a day for 7 days).I did this twice. At the end I couldnt even go to work as I was taking so much time off, eating came almost impossible at times as it would only come back up. Today I came back from another gastro, and suprise suprise I have reflux and a ulcer, I am now taking nexium for the reflux, but I am still awaiting the biopsy to be sent to my doctor to determine what ulcer it is and what to do about it. I hope this helps anyone who has the same sympton, as I know how frustrating this can be, im only 30 dammit :(, and my house fells like a prison cause I cant do anything without feeling ill. Btw I got pretty good at counter-strike :)..Ill keep this updated when I find out about my ulcer...Cheers
|

replied February 2nd, 2005
Ulcer
Just a quick note..
I read a letter from the gastrodudes to my doctor..It says

oesophagus: 3cm h hernia with gastric mucosal prolpse and grade one esophagitis; bx

dudomen: entered upto 2nd part: 1cm ac anterior wall ulcer.....

Wish they found this a year and a half ago when I first did a gastro :/
|

replied May 19th, 2005
I got perforated duodenal ulcer in the end of march, I was complely healthy the day before, and I woke up in extreme pain. We went to the local medical senter, but they didn't find out what it was (was only a nurse on watch). Got on an ambulance, and at the hospital I went to surgery after short time.

I'm 18, so it's a chance of youth getting it as well, but as said (both here and by the people on my hospital) it's mostly elderly who gets this.

Been on antibiotics, and going on a gastro next week.
|

replied October 17th, 2009
My stepson got a severe migrain yesterday while in school. He then experienced blurred vision followed by throwing up. He mentioned to be that when he throws up, it consists of small amounts of blood. I told him that is not normal and should go to the doctor. He has had minor stomach trouble for about 1 year now but it quickly goes away. He doesn't experience much abdominal pain once he throws up, just the usual. Stays on crackers and bread for about one day until he feels better. I wasn't concerned before until he told me he does throw up small amounts of blood. He is 13 year old male.
|

replied September 10th, 2010
Hello im new here btw.

SO im not sure if i have a stomach ulcer or not i havent expierienced many of the symptoms. The only symtoms i usually have are pain in the middle of my chest, and when i breath deeply it hurts too. I dont m=normally notice this because its not a severe pain its dull. I have only once had a very sharp pain that lasted for about 2-3 mins and then it passed but it hurt so bad that i had to sit down and breath through it. But i dont notice the pains unless i really concentrate on it. And when i actually do start thinking about it i begin to have the pains. I have a lot of emotional stress and usually when i get stressed or feel very sad i have small pains in my chest that arent completely noticable unless i try to see if it is happening. My mom says i probably have an ulcer because she has the same symtoms and has an ulcer but she has very very recent pains that occur. So im not sure if i do or not because i have the pains but dont have them again for a while. It is healed? But just recently on my last period i got very very light headed to where i couldnt see at all. and i had to lie down but i was in the shower when this was happeneing so i had to stop the shower and sit down until i felt better but everytime i stood up i couldnt see and got very dizzy and light headed and this has never happened to me before, was it just hormones? And also durin this time my ibeuprofen wasnt working and i was having very very painful cramps and i had taken two, it always works but this time it didnt im not sure if this was a symtom of the cramps or if it was just my period help?
|

replied September 27th, 2010
One day early last year I had a sudden sharp pain in my left side, After passing some gas, it went away. A few days later, I woke up at 2 a.m. with pain in the same area. It was sudden and stabbing, but quickly subsided to a dull ache. I tried Pepto-Bismol and tried to get gas to pass - - no success. After 12 hours of persistent aching, a friend drove me to the emergency room. On the basis of X-rays alone, they decided to do exploratopry surgery. Result was a vertical incision over 1 foot long, with 10 days in the hospital. Diagnosis was a perforated stomach ulcer in a hard-to-find location. The irony of all this is that I didn't even know I had an ulcer! However, I had been under considerable stress since summer of the preceding year (2008).

I am a man. I was 76 when all this happened.
|

replied December 7th, 2011
So thankful I stumbled upon this forum! I'm studying in college right now and today I randomly experienced a sharp, throbbing, deep pain in my upper stomach, lower ribs area. I have been treated for anxiety and panic attacks for over a year now. I have been trying to determine if this pain is heartburn, acid reflux, or any such thing. The pain has been occurring for almost 24 hours now and won't stop. Antacids temporarily stop the pain, but the pain returns and it just as strong. I took 3 tums and 15 minutes after, there was a throb of pain. Does this seem like an ulcer?
|

replied December 7th, 2011
So thankful I stumbled upon this forum! I'm studying in college right now and today I randomly experienced a sharp, throbbing, deep pain in my upper stomach, lower ribs area. I have been treated for anxiety and panic attacks for over a year now. I have been trying to determine if this pain is heartburn, acid reflux, or any such thing. The pain has been occurring for almost 24 hours now and won't stop. Antacids temporarily stop the pain, but the pain returns and it just as strong. I took 3 tums and 15 minutes after, there was a throb of pain. Does this seem like an ulcer?
|

replied April 8th, 2012
Besides stress, ulcers in teens can also be caused by poor diet (hot fries, hot sauce, hot chips, pizza, tacos) & then there are the few that will ingest something caustic like bleach in a truth or dare game or with the intent of cleaning drugs out of their system which will also obviously damage their insides.
|