Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Broken Blood Vessels In My Hands (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Does anyone know why the blood vessels in my hands keep breaking. Just this week I have a lump on one finger, and a massive bruise on another. Both painful!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper champagnelover
|

replied February 15th, 2009
broken vessels
no i don't but if anyone does know id love to have a reply because i have the same problem. three times now i've had my vessels in my hand break several times and it hurts really bad from doing nothing but normal activity then it looks real bad but the pain goes away in about 30 minutes and it leaves a pool of blood under the surface a little worse than a bruise but not like a bruise.
|

replied May 21st, 2009
blood vessels in the hand
The blood vessels in the palm of my hand swell up and appear very blue under the skin, but they don't burst. It just really, really hurts - and for no reason! I haven't bumped it or anything! I read that it might be a lack of Vitamin C. Anyone else got more info?
|

replied June 1st, 2009
I have had this happen to my fingers/hands for a few years now. Just recently it started on my feet. I just bumped my heel into my other heel and my blood vessel broke and bled out for a couple of minutes. It was a raised welt that was white for a minute and then blue. Really bad stinging sensation. Then it quits the stinging and turns into a nasty blue/red bruise. I am 51. What is it?
|

replied June 8th, 2009
I get the same thing and have been looking for answers to it for years. It had been happening 3-4 times a year in my late teens and early 20's and now at 36, it happens at least 3 times a month sometimes that much in a week in the same and different spots. I also get them in my feet. One of my daughters (12) has also gotten them. Hopefully, someone who does medical research will find these postings and look into it for an answer that has obviously been eluding all of us! Thanks!
|

replied July 16th, 2009
blood vessels break in fingers
I have had the same thing happen to me, usually in my fingers, ocassionally for years. To me, it seems it's more of a temporary nuisance than anything else. I'm wondering, after having read a number of posts about this phenomena and finding no explanations for it, if the vessels break in this manner because they are less protected in the more delicate and extremely well-used parts of the body. The hands, wrists and feet have numerous tiny bones, thin skin, and very little muscle mass compared to other parts of the body. Maybe it's easier to injure and stress these areas since we use them so much. I'm just guessing, but does that sound plausible?
|

replied August 13th, 2009
Does anyone else also have hyperflexible or hypermobile joints?
|

replied August 4th, 2011
Yes I do x
|

replied October 19th, 2009
Bursting Blood Vessels
I have the same problem. It has happened to me twice in one month on the same finger. It is a slight pop, followed by a quick sharp pain and then a big purple inflamed area which remains sort for a couple of days after. Has anyone visited the doctor about this problem?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2010
blood vessels popping in fingers
im 33 and in good health and i keep having this problem over the last year or so. it seems its a phenomena that has to be being caused by something WE ARE ALL BEING EXPOSED TO. there is no normal reason at 33 my blood vessels keep popping in my hands and so many ppl are experiencing the same thing. my whole life i never known anyone with this problem that wasnt very old and or had translucent thin skin. its ALWAYS been an old age problem. thin blood vessels. but all of us? come on. we have been sprayed daily for a few years across the world with god knows what. those arent contrails because they dissipate and dont linger turning into a chemical cloudy mess that takes visibility down to about half of what the standards read two years ago. something is happening on a world wide scale and we are all not included.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.

replied May 14th, 2010
Broken vessels in hands & feet
If anyone ever finds the answer to this I'd surely like to hear it.

I, too, have had problems with vessels breaking in hands, fingers, feet & toes for years. It does not have to be related to any activity or bumping anything. Yesterday I was in the shower and one broke in a toe. There is always the stinging pain and, if the vessel is close to the surface I guess, the 'bruise' shows up.

I've wondered if something is missing from my diet or if hormones could possibly contribute (I am on HRT because of a complete hysterectomy -but I had the problem before the hysterectomy). Think I read somewhere that arthritis might have something to do with it also & I've got some in one hand that is troublesome. And I'm sure smoking could be a probable culprit too (I haven't managed to shed that devil habit).

I'm also concerned and wonder if this problem could be related to any pre-disposition for stroke which scares me to pieces. It's surely got to be some sort of early warning about something. Why are there no answers?
|

replied May 14th, 2010
Broken vessels in hands & feet
If anyone ever finds the answer to this I'd surely like to hear it.

I, too, have had problems with vessels breaking in hands, fingers, feet & toes for years. It does not have to be related to any activity or bumping anything. Yesterday I was in the shower and one broke in a toe. There is always the stinging pain and, if the vessel is close to the surface I guess, the 'bruise' shows up.

I've wondered if something is missing from my diet or if hormones could possibly contribute (I am on HRT because of a complete hysterectomy -but I had the problem before the hysterectomy). Think I read somewhere that arthritis might have something to do with it also & I've got some in one hand that is troublesome. And I'm sure smoking could be a probable culprit too (I haven't managed to shed that devil habit).

I'm also concerned and wonder if this problem could be related to any pre-disposition for stroke which scares me to pieces. It's surely got to be some sort of early warning about something. Why are there no answers?
|

replied May 17th, 2010
Popping Blood Vessels in Hands - an ametuer look at the cause
About 2-3 years ago I had the first episode of blood vessels popping in my hands. All symptoms seem quite similar as everyone else. I have been keeping log of what I eat and drink for dieting purposes and that has led me to a hypothesis (at least for my body). The last three weeks I have experienced 3 episodes. It was late last summer since my last issue. The difference? I started drinking diet Coke again around Easter. Not sure if this is the cause for me, but I am sure going to look at it more closely.
|

replied October 15th, 2011
O dear i have just been reading all the posts on popping blood vessels, i then came to yours and read the latter part of your post ie the diet coke part i am actually addicted to diet coke six to eight cans a day and my blood vessel popped in my middle finger yesterday it started to sting first then a karge lump appeared then bruising and now it is very red the whole finger and swollen even down to the hand area STRANGE.
|

replied May 20th, 2010
Same problem
I'd like to add my comment to the list. Mine aren't with my hands, it's actually happening to my right big toe. Twice in the last month while wearing different shoes each time, a blood vessel in my toe has broken. It gets really black and blue on the sides/bottom and takes a few days to heal. This sometimes happens to my mom in her hands, but not in a while. That's how I found out it was a broken blood vessel.

I feel fine and seem to be in good health, but I just would like to know what's causing this. Am I lacking something vitamin wise, not eating correctly or is it just bad luck? Hope someone find out what's causing this and I'll check back if I find anything.
|

replied June 8th, 2010
Interesting! I just had this happen in my hands for the first time. I've recently changed my diet because I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. A big change is I now drink a lot of diet coke. I'm wondering if that could be a link.
|

replied July 1st, 2010
broken veins in fingers and subdural hematoma
I am 73 years old and have had the exact same problem as described over and over in the above comments since I was in my 30s. I also have been recently diagnosed with a subdural hematoma but I do not think they are related. However the nuerologist can find no reason for the subdural hematoma. He says perhaps a blood vessel broke for some unknown reason. I have had a CT scan and 2 MRIs since March and it still shows the same thing and the same size. Has anyone else who suffers from many blood vessels breaking in fingers, toes and back of leg had the same problem. When the vein breaks, their is a sharp pain and it immediately turns dark blue but as others have stated it does go away within a few hours. Lately it is happening more often - 3 times this week in different fingers doing simple household chores.
Through the years I have brought up the subject with different doctors and they act as if they have never heard of this before and brush it off as unimportant. Has anyone received an answer as to why this happens from a doctor.
I exercise daily and walk 3 miles a day and I am not overweight. If the subdural hematoma had not shown up on a CT scan, I would have thought I was in very good health.
|

replied July 17th, 2010
|

replied August 5th, 2010
Achenbach syndrome - no!
I have the condition too and it is not Achenbach syndrome. The problem is NOT a blood blister. It's an actual rupture of a vessel in the hands and toes.
|

replied August 24th, 2010
My hands show dispersed red marks, it appear everytime
I lean over, using one hand to lean while the other
reach for the middle part of the vermi(worm) chamber to remove
those really hard to reach and vvveerrry annoying
pest. Probably because the full weight of my body is on
either hands at that moment, I alternate hand support,
now theyre on both palms. Just want to make sure if this
is normal.
|

replied August 31st, 2010
broken blood vessel
Well, It just happened to me for the first time yesterday , left hand middle finger. Dr said it was a broken blood vessel and that it is more common in people who smoke:( however, reading your posts, I too drink alot of diet coke and am wondering now if that could also be linked.... hmmmm , thanks everyone for info!
|

replied September 15th, 2010
Broken blood vessel in finger
It has happened to me for the very first time a few days ago. I am 40 years old, do not smoke, drink very little diet coke, in good shape, don't do vitamins. Mine happened from snapping my fingers, and this broke a blood vessel in my right hand middle finger, which stung, turned immediately purple, and throbbed, and hurt to the touch. I iced it immediately. Now I am into the fourth day and the bruising is going away during the day, but comes back at night, and now have numbness and my whole hand seems to be tired. Any ideas? Going to the doctor tomorrow.
|

replied September 17th, 2011
I have this problem too. I want to know what's going on. I don't touch coke or any pop so that's not it for me. I'm not overweight, don't drink or smoke. I have low blood pressure and normal cholesterol levels. I am 52 but I recall having this for years; I was playing volley ball over 25 years ago, so I'd have been 27, and serving the ball broke a blood vessel in my wrist. I still wanted to play, so I switched arms and served again. Same result, different arm. Obviously time to stop, but that was the first time I realized I have some kind of undefined issue going on.

I rather frequently have vessels burst in my hands while doing normal things; e.g.: opening a bottle, using a screw driver, putting away the dishes. Occasionally it will be when I ever so slightly bump something, but not hard enough that it should have caused damage to happen.

I worry about a vulnerability for stroke as well.

I'd sure love to find out what the cause is. I do suspect an unmet nutritional demand, but have tried many vitamins, mineral supplements, and herbs.

FYI and to help collect possible commonalities, I will list a few possible unique health issues I have had, and I'd like to know if others have anything similar:
Scarlet fever when young
Mumps and Chicken Pox also
Allergy to cats
Dairy intolerance
Chronic fatigue
Many amalgam fillings (now replaced)
|

replied May 5th, 2012
Broken capillaries
I would have to sAy that you have Lyme Disease. I have all the same issues that you have and was recently diagnosed with Lyme. See a naturopath that is familiar with Lyme. Don't bother with an MD. They all tell you that you are crazy. Good luck.
|