Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Dizziness Associated With Digestive Problems

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I have been having digestive problems for a while: stomach pain, constipation, bloating. When my digestive problems are at their worst, I feel dizzy. After a large bowel movement after being constipated I will feel dizzy too. My doctor said that this is because of pain. I don't know if that is true. I am not usually in severe pain when I am having digestive problems and dizziness. There is usually a little bit of pain, but i've had much worse pain other places in my body without getting dizzy.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper TestPilot2
|

replied November 12th, 2011
Sometimes digestion and bowel movements associated with constipation require a lot of blood to go to the place in the body where it's needed. This can cause a very temporary loss of blood (and oxygen) to the brain, leading to light-headedness--or even fainting. My surgeon at the Univ. of Chicago told me this after it happened to me (a few times a year after gastric surgery).

If you are dizzy 5 or 10 minutes later, I might be more concerned, but if you are dizzy within a minute of the bodily stress, that's probably it.

BTW, my favorite cure for constipation is taking 2-4 oat bran pills twice a day (available at health food stores, not pharmacies). And they are healthy for you even if you don't need them.
|
Did you find this post helpful?