Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

An Adult With a Baby Tooth (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I am 33 and still have one of my baby teeth. Anyone out there who has same thing?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper BADSAL
|

replied September 21st, 2004
Experienced User
That is so strange which tooth is it?
|

Experienced User
I think it is called an "eye" tooth. It is on the top and not one of the first 4 front ones, but the next one over.... Sorry... I don't know the tech. Terms.
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2012
crazy, i'm 33 and literally just lost my babytooth (#3 molar top left) which is why i looked this up. there is no adult tooth to replace it and i will be getting an implant soon i guess.
|

Experienced User
What does the dentist say??
|

Active User, very eHealthy
My mother is 39 and still has one of her baby teeth. She has no problems with it, it just never fell out. All the times she has gone to the dentist he has never been worried about it. I would think that it still got live roots because its still white. So I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it starts turning a different color.. Then you might want to get it taken out.
|

replied September 22nd, 2004
Experienced User
The dentist said they could pull it out and drag the other tooth down into place. Ewww. That just doesn't sound good to me. Or he said just leave it alone for now as long as it is healthy. But i've heard from other people here and there that sometimes something like this can cause a cyst and other problems in the mouth and sinuses since the adult tooth is still up there in the gum.
|

replied April 13th, 2012
well i have a 1 baby tooth still and its got no adult tooth underneath and i might need braces im only 15 though .dont worry about it till the dentist thinks its a worry.what do u think i should do have it took out but i hate needles or get braces
|

Extremely eHealthy
You can try to retrieve the tooth.This will also requre you to wear braces on some of your teeth for a while.How old are you??If you are over 30,this usually will not work.If you are 25 or under,it might be worth the time,money and effort to do this,make sure you see a qualified oral surgeon and orthodontist-not just a general dentist.Sometimes,when these teeth are brought down,they become non-vital(dead) and may need a root canal or sometimes they do not survive all the trauma of being brought down.Make sure that the dentist tells you all the pros and cons before you proceed,you may be better off having the baby tooth and the impacted tooth removed and an implant done.However,if your baby tooth is okay for now,you can leave it until it becomes a problem.Best of luck to you.Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.Patty
|

Experienced User
Thanks for the info.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Sorry,didn't see in original post that you're 33.I would have a consult with an oral sugeon and have an evaluation and an x-ray (panoramic x-ray will show that whole area).If you do not have any cyst formation,your next step is to be evaluated to see if you are a good candidate for orthodontic treatment in that area.A good orthodontist should be able to tell you if she/he thinks that treatment will be successful.If that is not an option,you may want to see if you could have an implant after removal of both the baby tooth and the impacted tooth,the implants are ususally done by a periodontist.Good luck to you.Patty
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
Yup
I am 20 years old. Everything from my eye or k9 teeth back are still baby teeth. I even had braces several years ago.
|

replied August 1st, 2005
Baby Teeth
Same here. I'm 16 and I never really kept track of how many teeth I lost because it was so infrequent. I have lost 6-8 of my top teeth and 6-8 of my bottom teeth. I have had two teeth pulled because they grew out beside the other teeth (they were left for 6 months to see if they would come out naturally.) and my dentist has never said anything about it. My molars don't fill my mouth though and it gives me a pretty bad overbite. . I have very good teeth even though I had a fair amount of antibiotics as a baby but they just never fell out. I've never had any cavities or extra sensitive teeth or anything. The first 8 teeth (4 top and 4 bottom) fell out when I was about 8 but I just haven't lost many since then!!
|

replied August 1st, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
My ex-husband has one baby tooth right next to the one "the author" talks about.

All the back teeth not coming in that is so strange, but cool. No set facts in science. I wonder how many of you really have the adult teeth underneath--and how many dont!!??
|

replied September 13th, 2005
Adult With a Baby Tooth
If anyone has an answer to my question that would be great. I have 2 impacted eye teeth they do not bother me but I recently went to see an orthodontist and he said they could try to pull them down. This would take 6000.00 and 2 1/2 years I am only 23 going to school and with a 1 1/2 year old son. The dentist isn't even sure if he can get them I don't want to waste the money he told me that my baby teeth would fall out before I was 30 but then I found this site?
|

replied November 2nd, 2011
I was a dental assistant for 15 years and if I had your situation this it what I would do. If it does not hurt I would leave it alone. If it does not bother you because of the way it looks, I would leave it alone. If you can chew well and the baby teeth are healthy with no cavities and the gums around them are healthy also, I would leave it alone.

So unless there was discomfort in the way it looks, or it hurts or the teeth have cavities or the gum tissue is inflammed or unhealthy, save the money for now and just let them be.

I would recommend that you start putting away some money because more likely than not you will have to at least have them removed one day. You do not have to have the orthodontic work to bring down the adult teeth if you dont want to. But if the baby teeth get cavities and those cavities make it up under the gum tissue and cause decay in the adult teeth underneath them you will have major problems.

If you are ok with the way it looks and you are not in pain...It will not make you sick to leave them. You will absolutely want to keep an eye on them with x-rays to make sure everything is healthy. Things can go badly without much warning if you dont have your dentist stay on top of the situation.

I hope I have helped calm your fears. Most of the dentists I have worked for have the mind set of "If it aint broke...dont fix it". But there are plenty more who will take your money and do a great job, even though it wouldn't hurt to just leave it alone. It really is your choice and you should work with your dentist to do what you think is best.
|

replied December 24th, 2011
27 WIT BABY TOOTH
im 27 and my k9 was a babytooth and a lil over a year ago da k9 started 2 get a cavitie on the back side and then it broke off at the gum but now the adult tooth is pushin through the gum but its been like 2 months and it still hasnt droped its just broke the gum thats it .. So with that said .. iwant 2 ask u how long should it take 2 grow in??? & should i go get x-rays?? THANK U SOOOOO MUCH UR TIME!!
|

replied November 8th, 2007
I Have a Baby Tooth Im 50
Very Happy I still have my baby tooth on the bottom right side!should i get a bridge or an inplant?its starting to bother me now.
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
one of my brothers in law still has 3 of his front botom baby teeth. im not sure but i would think that an implant would be better.
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Adult With a Baby Tooth
smurfette wrote:
If anyone has an answer to my question that would be great. I have 2 impacted eye teeth they do not bother me but I recently went to see an orthodontist and he said they could try to pull them down. This would take 6000.00 and 2 1/2 years I am only 23 going to school and with a 1 1/2 year old son. The dentist isn't even sure if he can get them I don't want to waste the money he told me that my baby teeth would fall out before I was 30 but then I found this site?

Im a bit late on reply, so you might not read this, thought i would reply anyways..
I had 3 of my baby teeth pulled and they attached wire to the impacted teeth and pulled them down so they lined up (i had braces) It hurt alot! id say unless it really bothers you, or starts hurting, just leave them alone, if there gunna grow in than they will, if not, there not doing much harm! And if you do decide to do it, id check out diff orthodontists, 6g. seems like alot. Mine cost about 4 after everything was done, and i had to have ALOT of work done. Most of my teeth were sidways, and in funky spots, head gear, jaw widener, the whole works lol

Good luck to you all!
|

replied December 26th, 2011
I have an adult tooth that formed sideways inside my gum so never dropped down. I've seen the x-rays and talked to 2 dentists and an orthodontist. They suggested pulling my baby tooth and trying to bring down the adult tooth too. The orthodontist said that my baby tooth could fall out soon and I would have a big problem if I didn't consider this right away. I was a teen back then and the pulling, yanking down and braces did not appeal to me nor did the expense so I ignored him. It has been well over 10 years and my baby tooth is still fine and gives me no problem what so ever. I suggest unless it is bothering you just shop around and asked others to give you a different quote. Because just because someone tells you something doesn't make it 100% true.
|

replied August 14th, 2010
I'm 21 and still have one baby tooth with no permanant tooth underneath. Just the other day, my dentist had to "adjust" it by grinding it and the tooth on the bottom jaw directly below it. Now, they don't don't meet.
|

replied October 28th, 2010
I'm 15 and I still have 10 baby teeth. Every tooth past my canines are baby teeth but thankfully they look normal. I also have adult teeth ready to replace all my baby teeth (in my gums, like a 5 year old) but they'll never grow in because they're undeveloped. I had one baby tooth pulled to see if that would allow the baby tooth to grow in but 6 years later nothing grew in although that adult tooth is still there so the orthodontist never pulled anymore. So basically half my teeth are baby teeth.
|

replied April 22nd, 2011
Baby Tooth
I still have 1 baby tooth (molar) and I'm 21. It's not a worry though because I inherited an abnormality where there is no adult tooth beneath it. I had the same thing on the other side but that tooth had to be removed (I like sugar). So I can join this club Smile
|

replied April 22nd, 2011
I still have 1 baby tooth (molar) and I'm 21. It's not a worry though because I inherited an abnormality where there is no adult tooth beneath it. I had the same thing on the other side but that tooth had to be removed (I like sugar). So I can join this club Smile
|