Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Constant Phlegm In Throat For Past 3 Months, Help!!!!! (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hi, I hope someone can help me. I have been having constant phlegm for the past 3 months or so. In the morning I will wake up and I have phlegm. I will have it for the rest of the day and it doesnt go away. I smoke 3 cigarettes a day if that. Im not a heavy smoker. Im always spitting up clear phlegm and its annoying, do I have a disorder??? What can I do to stop getting this phlegm???

Any advice would be appreciated

thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nausicaa
|

replied October 3rd, 2003
Experienced User
Does your throat hurt.....Fell stiff or some thing like that....Let me know a little more.....Maybe I can help you
|

replied October 9th, 2003
Constant Phlegm In Throat For Past 3 Months--to Baby Passion
Hi, well it doesnt feel stiff or anything like that, I just keep getting this clear phlegm with a little bit of white specs in it. I dont know why I keep having this phlegm. And it doesnt hurt, it does look a little irriated inside though. If any advice please pm me.
thanks
jessika
|

replied March 5th, 2004
Mucas In Lungs
Hi-
my father is having the same problem, for over 15 yrs and he doesn't smoke. Every doc says that mucas (phelm) is gathering in his lungs and it won't go away, no matter how much he coughs, spits, blow his nose. No one seems to know what it is. He is constantly coughing.
|

replied May 20th, 2004
Yes, I have had that for over two years. I get headaches and sinus pain. Always trying to clear my throat. Slight fatigue as well. If you find out anything let me know. Thanks,
juiceman
|

replied June 1st, 2004
Hey, I too am having mucus issues.. Been happening for at least 3 years.. And im a singer..Plays havoc on my voice..I have done mountains of research and have come to beleive adenoids play a sinister part in all this... I had allergy shots for a year..Didnt work.. Antibiotics sometimes worked for a max of 3 days... Then.. Its back.
I have enlarged adenoids and that stops airflow through the nose..Couple that with a deviated septum and its mucus a plenty.. You should look into these possible causes.. How do you feel?? I am so unbeleiveably tired everyday I can hardly think straight.. Im suspecting sleep apnea(from swollen adenoids) and am having a sleep study in a coupl of weeks..You might just have an allergic nose.. And theres nothing you can do for that.. But I have no doubt smoking triggers it.. I smoked for 4 years..A pack a day.. And gave up in the hope I would feel better..I dont wanna preach but you should quit.. It can only get worse..Hope you have some avenues to explore now
-marc
|

replied January 2nd, 2012
Candida!
it sounds like candida buildup to me! a LOT of people suffer from this without knowing it, because there are many symptoms and they come up in different ways for different people -- the medical profession doesn't seem to be aware of it, and if they are they must not want to make people well again.
Try cutting out sugar and all alcohol for several months and eating lots of vegetables. Google Candida Diet for more info
|

replied March 21st, 2013
Thank god for investigators.... and google because it seems as though the doctors just dont listen to their patients. I agree....i have been investigating this yeast candida for a few months now ever since i started getting vaginal fissures along with sooooo many other symptoms such as the Throat clearing, and every other candida symptom going i have had mucus in the upper section of my nasal passage that i can extract with swallowing and it has a very foul taste to go along with the throat clearing. I also read that mercury fillings also contribute to candida. I am so tired of not feeling well. I wish you all health and happiness soon..xo
|

replied July 27th, 2004
Phlegm. Drives Me Nuts
I have had severe phlegm in the throat for longer than I can remember. As a previous post I was also a singer 20 years ago and it killed it. I would like to know if anyone finds the phlegm causes stomach problems as in my case it's chronic. I have been on disability for 13 years now with that terrible tag cfs. Now it's impossible to ask doctors such a question as they just think I make it up. Any remedies no matter how wild as i'm in the middle of a very heavy patch of phlegm with it being our winter. The trouble is now I have it heavy it won't reduce for months if it goes to the normal time table. I hope not!

Simon
|

replied November 23rd, 2004
I have the same problem. I had my adenoids taken out when I was a little kid. Had strep throat from 3rd grade 'till 9th every year in october. Almost had my tonsils taken out, wish they would've now. And I had pneumonia last janurary, use to smoke a pack a day. Now it's down to about 1/2. Trying to quit, I know it will help. But i've had this for such a long time, way before I started smoking. And drinking milk makes it so worse. Have no insurance, so i'm stuck with research off the net. Good luck with you.
|

replied December 22nd, 2004
Allergies, Sinusitus, Lung Inflammation
Hi all, i've been having this problem, too, for about 2 months. I cut my smoking in half, but it hasn't helped. It's the worst in the morning, i'll have to cough for a few minutes someetimes to get it all out, and it'll come back a few times during the day. In addition I have post-nasal drip (where snot drips down the back of your nose into your throat) and i've been very lethargic. I almost feel like falling over sometimes. I've been looking around and it seems the most likely candidates are either allergies, sinusitus, or lung inflammation...Or a combination. I'm going to the doctor in a week or so, hopefully, if I hear anything, i'll get back.

Apuskwikemart - it sounds like you have either an allergy or intolerance to dairy, you should get tested for that.
|

replied July 28th, 2007
Phlegm In the Throat
I had same problem with phlegm at back of my throat. I got flu 5 months ago and started to cough heavily with lot of sputum. I took antibiotics, it stoped the cough right way. I continuously took antibiotics for 3 weeks. Now I feel there is phlegm at bottom of my throat all day long, it gets worse in the morning as well as after eating.

I got flu last year too. I had terrible cough with phlegm. I didn't see a doctor, and I decided to take rest at home for a week. I was recovered throughly. No antibiotics, No phlegm afterwards.

Is there something to do with antibiotics? it stops cough right way.

I never smoke. Please help.
|

replied September 11th, 2007
Lactaid For Phlegm In Throat
I have had phlegm in my throat for a few years now. Constant feeling like I have to clear my throat, can not spit up anything, but a feeling like phlegm is puddling in the bottom of my throat. Constantly having to clear my throat and it is annoying to me and everyone else around me.

I read a post from someone a while ago that said the phlegm might be caused by yeast. Since I seem to get the phlegm more after I eat, I figured perhaps it was caused by a yeast allergy or perhaps I might be actually lactose intolerant. So, I have taken a few lactaid tablets each day (acidophilous might work as well) and after about the first three or four days, the phlegm started to dissipate. It has been over a month now and I don't have the constant feeling that I have to clear my throat as often. Sometimes I am not bothered by it at all and I don't have to clear my throat all night long either. For some reason the lactaid is working and this is a generic version. Just thought I would pass on this information. It might help someone.
|

replied July 9th, 2008
It's almost a year after the last post in that topic, but I hope it will be noticed.

Please, if someone has found a solution for phlegm in throat - give me (or us) the answer. Here is my situation:

I'm not and I've never been a smoker. My problem started about 5 years ago. Since that time, I still have phlegm in throat. I've been singing since I remember, but now it's only a hobby, because that phlegm made it so, so worse. My voice is often dull, I have hoarseness. I have noticed that my voice condition is strongly connected with the air condition (worse in rooms with air conditioner, best some longer time before rain), but I don't believe it's just an allergy - none of antiallegric meds helped. Rather mucous membrane is so sensitive now. As previous people in that topic, my every morning starts from spitting some amount of thick, smelly phlegm. Unfortunetely, it's in my throat and nose all day (once more, once less).

What's more, I have gastrological problems, maybe caused with phlegm. I have very, very strong stomach aches. After a few years of stupid diagnoses, one of doctors told me it's IBS, which I didn't hear about earlier. OK, it's probably - but every day for me is just a pang. That gastrological problems + phlegm crashed all my life, I cannot function normally any more. I'm very timid and nervous person, but it's all about that disease.

Any answer is a gold for me... Has anyone defeated that strange disease?
|

replied July 10th, 2008
plegm
please u all stay away from dairy product, and definately MILK

that will help
|

replied July 11th, 2008
Phlegm in throat
I'm a professional singer and was having the same problem, plus my voice was being affected. Someone suggested I get checked out for acid reflux. Turns out you can have acid reflux without a symptom of heartburn. Chronic swallowing and clearing the throat is a huge flag. I started taking Prilosec and it has gone away. Definitely acid reflux.
Best wishes, hope this helps.
|

replied July 11th, 2008
Yes, I have acid reflux - it has been recognised by esophagogastroduodenoscopy (wow, in English its name is sooo long). I know that for two years. Tried various anti-reflux meds and they didn't help. Sometimes I have a heart-burn feeling, usually day after eating something too late in the evening. My tongue is "white". You think that phlegm is just caused by reflux? I think it's sometning more complex (anti-reflux, antiallergic and many many more types of meds weren't effective for me)...
|

replied October 13th, 2012
White tongue is a symptom of yeast overgrowth.
|

replied July 30th, 2008
phlegm in throat, ibs
like worldidol above, i have both throat phlegm and ibs. i believe, the phlegm is a result of the ibs. i think the digestive system, in our cases, has slowed down. that accounts for a lot of gas going the wrong way (up.) i think the gas then causes the phlegm. (this is all my opinion. no dr has confirmed any of this.)

i have been suffering since october, 2007 and its gotten worse and worse.
i have lost over 40 lbs cause when i eat is start coughing severely. some things have helped on occasion: beano, antispasmatics, inhalers.

but they are not working now. my symptoms are severe. today, it took me several minutes to get my breath back.
|

replied July 31st, 2008
Have you all heard about Candida Albicans? Yesterday I made a Real-Time PCR test, results will be given results in one week. There is possibility that the IBS is only a result of Candida.
|
Users who thank worldidol for this post: Zene 

replied February 21st, 2009
phlegm in throat, stomach issues getting solved
Hello, I came on here and noticed alot of you have some of the same symptoms I've had. Before I figured it out I had really bad stomach aches, trouble swallowing and a ton of phlegm in my throat. I lost about 20lbs because I could bearly eat. I felt like my stomach was puffed up too much and anything I ate would constantly press up against my throat to come back out. It was really horrible. After going to 6 medical doctors.I tried a chiropractor recommended to me by my friend. He is also a dietician. Antibiotics caused my trouble. I took them when I was little. I also took birth control for 6 years. I've also had alot of stress in my life. I also have post-nasal drip, and allergies. This is what my doctor (chiropractor) has figured out and what he has done for me. First of all, I had alot of yeast in my stomach. My system was totally off from the antibiotics. They killed all of my good biotics. Second, I was caughing so much from the post nasal drip that I gave myself a hiatal hernia. It all caused acid reflux, lots of stomach gas and burping. This is what I did to get better. I had to change my diet and take probiotics from lifechoice. Best ones my doctor said. It's a hard diet to be on but you only need to be on it for 2 months and then you can eat normal again. First, cut out all sugar, or as much as possible. Eat 5-6 servings of veggies. If can't tollerate raw like me you can cook them. Only eat one serving of fruit if you have to have some sweetness. Cut out everything that has yeast in it, mainly breads, and pastries. You can have meats and fats. And stay away from all dairy!!! Very important. Take digestive enzymes before breakfast and dinner. I took one probiotic in the morning and one at night. Drink lots of water 6-8 glasses a day and walk atleast 20 minutes a day to help with digestion. I was never able to stick to the diet exactly but was able to stick pretty close to it with maybe a cheat piece of cake once a week or so. And most of my symptoms are gone! I still have post-nasal drip, but I can clear it out now with that gross hawking sound, but it's not nearly as frequent as before. My doctor says to cut out dairy and citrus, they are a main culprit for food allergies. I deffinetly have trouble with citrus, try cutting that out, or do a test. As soon as I drank lemonade I'd immediatly get a ton of mucus in my throat and have to clear it. hmmmm I think thats pretty much it. I hope this will help some. This stuff wrecks your life. And it's so hard when the doctors don't know how to help you. Try a dietician-chiropractor. Oh and I was able to get off of my 2 nexiums a day. I'm also off of all of my 3 allergy medicines!!!!
|

replied March 14th, 2009
issues getting resolved
All of this post is great advice. I would add to the 'avoid' list pasta in all forms. Might also consider a gluten intolerance and begin using rice, tapioca, potato, bean fours ... my symptoms were similar and with the avoidance of regular flour items, yeast, and dairy I am much better. Fresh, raw, steamed vegetables are the best. Using olive or sesame oil instead of imitation margarine or butter is also helpful. Green tea is a good drink as well as water.
|

replied March 15th, 2009
Yep ... it's wheat ...
I complained to my chiropractor all of the above symptoms: chronic phlem that won't go up or down, stuffy nose, always tired, cant breath after eating BP=150/90 ... he said I'm allergic to gluten ... so stay off wheat, rye and barley. Tried it ... by day 3, no gas, no bloating, no acid reflux, clear nose, clear throat, clear sinus and lots of energy. Gave it the rest of the week BP = 130/80 Then had hamburger, hot dog, doritos and birthday cake at a party ... within 30 minutes: crusing chest, 5 hours of major phlem, then sore throat, exhausted, gas and bloating ... waited about 30 hours and all is well again. Tested the theory 2 more time over the last 2 weeks ... proves true every time.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh