Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Skin Near Fingernail Is Peeling

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Any idea as to why?

Some say its because of a lack of calcium in my diet.

Its just the skin near my fingernail, around it.

Help help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 30th, 2004
Any ideas?
|

replied October 9th, 2004
Experienced User
Is it just a thin layer of skin? Has it stopped yet? The skin on my hands peel in small, little areas, but stop after a few days. My mother, a nurse, says it's just dead skin coming off.
|

replied October 10th, 2004
Experienced User
Yeah, I get it too.. It's just your dry skin peeling off. I hate when it catches on things...
|

replied October 11th, 2004
Ok thanks for the reply Smile

any method of fixing this?
|

replied October 11th, 2004
Experienced User
Just really good moisturizing of your hands. I put moisturizer on my hands whenever possible and when you get time rub it into your cuticles and around your fingernails real good. Then before I go to bed I rub in a good moisturizing cream that is thicker. It's real hard when the weather is dry to completely prevent it.. At least from my experience. I good hand exfoliator is always good... Sally hansen (which can be found at any store) has some good products
|

replied October 13th, 2004
Experienced User
What if it doesn't stop? I have skin peeling around my fingernails all the time. It started in june, and hasn't stopped yet. Sometimes it's more noticable than others, but even if I use moisturizers it's still there.

Daile
|

replied October 13th, 2004
Experienced User
You might have psoriasis. You probably should see your doctor to get rescribed a cream/lotion. My cousin has it badly on his hands and has to rub a lotion on them and wear gloves at night after doing so to help keep them moisturized and the skin from peeling so much.
|

replied December 17th, 2004
Skin Peeling Near Fingertip
Does the skin feel like you have glue stuck on it? If so you might check with a dermatologist. I have similar symptoms and I found out that a skin condition involving the fingertip is referred to as a felon and can be caused by a herpes simplex virus. A possible cause can be transferring the virus from a cold sore.
|
Tags: skin, Diet
Quick Reply