Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Pregnant With Bipolar (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Hi, I was just wondering if there was anyone that has had any experiences with having bipolar and being pregnant. I was diagnosed 4 years ago and am expecting in january. I've got lots of questions and might be able to give some answers. My main concerns are if i'm feeling what i'm feeling because i'm pregnant (1st pregnancy), or because my medication (lamictal), isn't doing it's job anymore. To add more topics of discussion, I am a recovering drug addict and not married to the baby's father who has a very unhealthy relationship with his 3 year old son's mother.
Sure could use someone to talk to.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 22nd, 2004
I am pregnant also, due in november, and I am bipolar. I would like to talk to you about how you are feeling as opposed to how I am feeling.
|

replied October 27th, 2004
Experienced User
Hello i'm due feb.9th... I also have bipolar... If you need someone to talk to I am right here....
|

replied January 7th, 2005
Just Wondering
I was just wondering what you all had to do as concerning your meds to try to get pregnet?And also was it the same as when you were pregnet when you didn't have this disese
|

replied January 18th, 2005
Kfreedom Points Out a Good Question
I was not diagnosed with my first child so no meds came in the way of the pregnancy......Now that I am diagnosed and on three different scripts as well as wanting child number two......What is pregnancy like with this....Are there meds that you can take?
|

replied January 24th, 2005
I am not pregnet I want to know what you have to do to get pregnt like did you come off meds to get pregnet or what? I am sorry I did't mean to cnfuse anyone.
|

replied March 23rd, 2005
Pregnant With Bipolar
Hey there everyone
i am 7 months pregnant with my second child and I have bipolar. I wasnt on meds with my last child as I was in denial of the fact I am bi polar.
I cycle very fast and have tons of anger and irratibly. With this baby I went off of my mood meds and only stayed on the 400mg of welbrution. It doesnt seem to be helping at all. And most days it is a struggle just to get through work let alone be decent to my family when I get home.
Also I use to cut when I was a teenager but now that I am not on meds I have a overwheleming desire to cut and I have once. Is there anyone else out there like me who can just chat about what is going on wiwth them?
Looking for a friend to share the boat.
Reib
|

replied May 21st, 2005
Been There
Hi I am 24 almost 25 and was first diagnosed as bipolar when I had my first manic episode when I was 4 months pregnant with my son.I had some really scary feelings of depressioon and suicide. Of course the concern was what to give me that would stabalize my moods buy not hurt the baby.The doctor(only an obgyn mind you) gave me either abilify or zyprexa 5 mg.It was so low a dose the child was fine and even to this day my son is smart as a whip.Make sure you coordinate this with your ob and your phsyciatrist.

Take care and let me know how it goes!
|

replied September 15th, 2005
Hi I have bipolar type I i am pregnant with my second child due 4th december.
|

replied September 17th, 2005
Wanting to Get Pregnant
Hi. I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was 18. Now i'm 23 and newly married. My husband and I want children and I am well aware of the birth defects that many meds can cause. My biggest concern is depakote. Help!!!! I really want kids....But I don't want them to have a larger chance of birth defects because of what I am taking. Does anyone understand?
|

replied September 20th, 2005
It Is Hormones!
Ladies I am an honest believer that once you concieve the current meds that you are taking are not enough to counter balance the flux of hormones.Now I am not a doctor but it deffinately was a problem in my case. I ended up having a breakdown and losing my son to the state.It also almost ruined my marriage!Never take yourself off your meds because you can't pay for them!Beg relatives or ask your doctor for a drug scholarship(they do have them)!I was on zyprexa(5mg).I am now on depakote.Your obgyn will tell you not to stay on the depakote so you need toy watch your own mood swings.

God will grant you the right people doctor wise to go to,just pray and he will make it so! :d
|

replied August 10th, 2007
Suffering Too!
I am 25 yrs. old. I am 4 mos pregnant and due in January. I live with bipolar disorder as well. This is the hardest time with my bipolar that I have ever had! I would love to talk to someone else that is going through this!
|

replied April 20th, 2009
I'm desperate!
This is my 5th pregnancy, I have 3 children and lost one, I'm almost 2 months pregnant and I was finally diagnosed bipolar last year, but I've never felt so bad like this before, it's the normal nauseous that I always get but without my treatment is getting a nightmare. I don't wanna eat, I know its not good to feel this but to me it's like a punishment the fact that I have to eat, I have lost almost 6 kilos before getting pregnant cuz I got fired from my job and now I have nothing to do, I have to be careful with my baby and Im not able to take meds, I was doing great before but now I'm a total mess! What I really want is to sleep all the time and not being aware of reality, it's not that I'm gonna kill myself, I know I have a baby who depends on me but how irresponsable I am!! how bad is the situation I'm bringing this child to live to?! I always screw it up, this is not the fisrt time, I never learn from my mistakes and my kids are suffering because of that, I feel like a monster, I don't deserve nothing good, I should not exist, even God is disappointed I know it...
|

replied July 4th, 2009
lamictal is safe for pregnancy. it is a class C drug which means only affects animals in birth and not human babies. Paxil is not safe, however, I cannot stop taking it, only can reduce my dosage. I am 25 and pregnant with my first child. The benefits of staying medicated far outweigh the costs for me and my child.
If you are not healthy, they baby will not be either.

I too was a cutter from age 16 to 23 on and off, usually in stressful situations or arguments with boyfriends or my now husband of 2 years. After 18 months therapy and meds cutting not an issue, until now. A few times I have had the urge while 5-7 mo pregnant but because am still medicated can chose not to by using other learned coping skills...hot bath, deep breathing, internet game...or even admitting to my husband that i feel urge to cut
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2009
Supporter
EMPowerPLUS, If it were only so simple nobody would suffer.
|

replied July 8th, 2010
9 month pregnant with bipolar
im 9 month pregnant and have bipolar. I've been on my meds since the begining of my pregrnancy. I was diganosed in 2009 with bipolar. I take lamotrigine and geodon but now I've been very depressed and have insomia so I need to take a sleep aid which is another class c med and had to increase geodon. My doc thinks I need anti-depression med but is concerned about exposing the baby. I will see my OBG tomorrow I want to talk to him about inducing me so the baby isnt exposed to all these new meds. Im scared about how all these meds have affected the baby.
|

replied July 8th, 2010
9 month pregnant with bipolar
im 9 month pregnant and have bipolar. I've been on my meds since the begining of my pregrnancy. I was diganosed in 2009 with bipolar. I take lamotrigine and geodon but now I've been very depressed and have insomia so I need to take a sleep aid which is another class c med and had to increase geodon. My doc thinks I need anti-depression med but is concerned about exposing the baby. I will see my OBG tomorrow I want to talk to him about inducing me so the baby isnt exposed to all these new meds. Im scared about how all these meds have affected the baby.
|

replied October 15th, 2011
First, I would like to say i completely agree with the other woman in this forum about state health care, etc etc etc. I also understand I am too late for this particular pregnancy. However, I am bipolar and pregnant and searched the web and found this article which means other bipolar and pregnant woman are at least reading this. SO I feel it necessary to continue on with what I was going to say......

I am not a doctor and cannot for certain tell you what is the best option for you.

However, in my opinion, taking 900mg of St. John's Wort (for depression) and 120mg of Gotu Kolu (for mood swings) daily would be a better option to artificial chemicals. While the less medications you're on the better (for pregnancy's), again I feel this is at least a better option.

I would say slowly ween yourself off of the medications you're on now. And slowly start a regimen of St. John's Wort/Gota Kula so that your body has time to adjust.

Some other supplements I suggest taking include, omega-3's (fish oil) and red raspberry leaf extract. The fish oil is excellent for your heart and brain health. The fatty acids are essential for proper brain function (proper brain function=less bipolar symptoms). It will also reduce joint pain from pregnancy. The red raspberry leaf extract is almost a must for pregnant woman in my opinion. It not only is a great source of folic acid (a pregnancy MUST have) it helps reduce cramping (due to pregnancy) and is an over all uterus/reproductive tonic/toner. In addition, red raspberry leaf extract can also help to regulate your hormonal fluctuations due to pregnancy (again this will also lessen your bipolar symptoms, the more stable your hormones are, means less mood swings, less mood swings means more stable and the more in control you'll be).

Another suggestion: STAY AWAY FROM CAFFEINE. Which you probably already do to help stave off mood swings due to your bipolar disorder. However, now that you're pregnant it is even more important to stay away from as much caffeine as possible. For the baby's health, and to help control mood swings (due to pregnancy OR your bipolar disorder.

Another natural solution to a common pregnancy problem is, ginger root (250 mg capsules up to 4 times a day) for nausea and/or acid reflux. Not only will it help with nausea and acid reflux, it is simply great for your overall circulation and digestive health.

Other than that, (in case this is your first pregnancy) do not take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) including aspirin, as well as Advil/Motrin (ibuprofen) and Aleve (naproxen).

Acetaminophen (which is the active ingredient in Tylenol) is considered safe during pregnancy. I was told by my doctor that taking 2 extra strength Tylenol once a day is safe for relieving headaches, fever, aches, pains and sore throat.

Again, while no medication/herbal remedy is 100% safe for pregnancy. And AGAIN I AM NOT A DOCTOR, and if you do have insurance I implore you to seek medical attention for your pregnancy. If that is simply not an option, I seriously hope you consider what I have said.

Good luck.

<3
|

replied October 15th, 2011
P.S. I took Welbutrin and Trileptal (because I was allergic to lamictal) for 4 years. Due to the kidney pains I started getting, my Dr. and I agreed stopping those medications for at least a small amount of time would be best. Since then I have been taking St. John's Wort and Gota Kula with great success.... just something to consider I suppose Smile

(AGAIN I AM NO DOCTOR AND AM NOT TRYING TO DIAGNOSE CONDITIONS OR PRESCRIBE MEDICATIONS/HERBS, I am simply sharing my educated opinion)
|

replied September 3rd, 2012
so im 26 weeks been bipolar for like 8yrs and mine has been bad not only thoughts of suicide but ive started cutting on my legs again i am 22 and have a one and three year old i just feel like i should have the baby then be done i feel no matter what i do or how hard i try nthng works ill ruin theyre lives just like i have everyone elses theyd be better off without me
|
12 >>