Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Epidural Hysterectomy

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hi everyone!

I am going to have to have a epidural(spinal block) hysterectomy. I am really worried, can someone who has had one give me some reassurance as to how it feels being awake. I would also like to know if you feel any better after it?

I would really appreciate it

thanks

sue
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 28th, 2004
Experienced User
Just curious as to why you are not being put out. Otherwise there is no reason for you to be awake. Do you feel better afterwards that is a good question. I would also like to know why you are having one done in the first place. Far to many times this procedure is being done and not needed . Keep me posted.
|

replied September 29th, 2004
The reason I am not having a general is that my mother died through allergy to it. The reason I am having it is due to some small cysts being found that seem to be harmless, I dont know of any treament for them, do you?

Thanks

sue
|

replied November 12th, 2004
Epidural Hysterectomy
Hi, im 39, I have 4 kids..I have been having problems with alot of bladder infections and frequent fullness of the bladder, very uncomfortable and annoying!! I found out that my uterus/vagina is laying basically on my bladder, thats why im having uncomfortable fullness 24/7...My og/gyn is fabulous, hes been a Dr. For over 25 years, and has delivered all 4 of my kids..I trust his opinion more than other dr's I had or have..Hes doing a epidural partial on me, he does those with epidural..I had a epidural with 1 of my pregnancies, and it was great..I didnt feel a thing, which was good, she was 9lbs 6 oz...I didnt feel anything, he had to cut me and I felt nothing, didnt know she was out...Lol..So I doubt u will feel anything with epidural, if you could feel it, they wouldnt do them like that...I had an emergency c-section 4 years ago, and I didnt like the mask or the not knowing if my baby was gonna be ok when I woke up..Soo, im glad I will be awake for partial...Jamie
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2009
In the same boat..epidural hysterectomy
I am more than likely going to have a total hysterectomy. Will find out today at doctors appt. I had previously told her that i was afraid of gen anethesia, being a 2 pack a day smoker...so she said we could do an epidural...After reading lots of online info, i am nervous about the "epi"..Maybe i should just cross my fingers and do a general...Or do they have some kind of not quite asleep anethsia??..I dont like the idea of a needle/catheter into my spine, and being numb for hours afterwards..SO i am really scared
|

replied March 16th, 2011
I have had 3 epidurals, and I will say, I would rather have the epidural than general anesthesia. I see this was posted some time ago, so I hope you made it through ok.
|

replied March 26th, 2011
i am 65 and nead hystercetomy can i haveepeduril
|