Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Re-occuring Bladder Infections (Page 1)

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
Hello,

i am started to get quite frustrated and annoyed at the fact that every few months, I keep on getting bladder infections. I'm only 18 years old, and I find it quite annoying. I have had about 3 this year (they only started this year), and every few months, another one would come up. I am a very clean person, and I never hold in my pee. I drink lots of water. Why do they keep on coming back? Do I have some sort of uti disease? Lol. Do I have like bladder cancer or soemthign? Im really freaked out, and if someone could help me with this, I would greeeeeeeeeeatly appreciate it. Thank u so much.

~ chewy_mango Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper givesup
|

replied September 13th, 2004
Experienced User
Lol, I was typing my uti question while you posted yours! Mine's in getting pregnant forum

i had my uti's under control by taking a septra (antibiotic) after intercourse...But now that i'm trying to get pregnant I can't take septra anymore and in 2 months i'm now on my 3rd uti..I took 2 course of antibiotics to clear up the first two and i'm going back to my doctor this thursday for this third one.

I'm also trying cranberry capsules, i've read that cranberry can actually prevent uti's, something in cranberry coats the bladder & urethra so the bacteria can't hang on.
|

replied September 29th, 2004
Been There...
I've struggled with uti's for several years (i'm 41). E-coli the culprit. Changed to md that was very frank with questions regarding activities b/t hubby and me. At md's advice, we have become very careful during certain positions of intercourse - in particular, "doggie", hubby's favorite. He used to love to tease me around the #2 opening prior to vaginal entry. Since he stopped that foolishness, my infections have decreased drastically! Md explained that if you plan to fool around with #2, use a condom and remove prior to vaginal play. At least this helped me... Idea
|

replied September 29th, 2004
Experienced User
Also just "discovered" with my dr that thong underwear can be a major culprit, so i'm back to bikini and low rise women's boxers.
|

replied October 1st, 2004
Omg!
That is something we have not thought about! That's about all I wear anymore! It will be hard to go back to the briefs! Sad
|

replied October 4th, 2004
Experienced User
I hadn't thought about it either, and all I was wearing anymore were thong, so I know what you mean, it's hard to switch back, but i'm willing to do anything to get rid of these constant uti's (my husband has nicknamed them c.U.T.I.'s, pronounced cooties Laughing )
|

replied November 5th, 2004
Tips
I am just getting over my third uti this year, so I hear you! Here are some tips.

Watch caffeine and especially sugar. They will kill you.

Avoid thongs (you know this one). Try to stick with non-slippery material.

Wipe front to back, or better yet, dab front to back.

Pee after sex. And as the other lady mentioned, watch the activity between the front and back doors like a hawk!!

Find cranberry juice without any sugar in it. It will taste horrible, but it will help. Try just cranberry from r.W. Knudson. A little bit every week or so will even do good.

Avoid spermicides. I'm not sure how bad they are, but i've heard they can be irritating. I'll post a question for you.

Avoid deodorized tampons. They can cause irritation.

Do not douche.

And keep drinking that water!

Hope this helps!
|

replied March 18th, 2006
Hey I know this post is a little old but I wanted to add another reason why you might be having reoccuring uti's. Not only does caffeine and sex cause uti's, but taking baths is a big culprit! Especially nice soapy baths. Not good for the urinary tract! Hope this advice may help :)
|

replied March 18th, 2006
Oh and I don't think that douching and deodorized tampons really have much effect on a uti considering that the urinary tract and the vagina are two totally different holes.
|

replied November 6th, 2008
Constant Problems
When my first child was born I had a history of one to three UTIs a year. After I had an IUD (mirena) inserted, I had three UTIs in six weeks using three different medications to clear up the issue. A female doctor suggested that my husband and I try taking an antibiotic after we have sex because I always seemed to get them either around my menstrual cycle or after an exotic sexual experience.

I don't wear thongs and I no longer use tampons since my son was born. These, for me, began causing yeast infections! UGH! Now, my doctor said that my IUD should have nothing to do with my UTIs since the vagina is separate from the urethra, but I have never had an issue with simply sex alone causing so many issues! And I have always been very experimental and exotic with sex. I feel that changes in the vagina affect the entire female system.

Also, I know it is hard to abstain from sexual activities once the pain/ irritation has subsided, but if you take 10-14 days off after completing the medication it can really help! Also, if you have only one partner, it can help if they are treated for the condition because it's very likely they are giving the infection right back to you! It just may take a few days to a week to manifest back into a problem. Or it might rear it's nasty head while your hormones are changing due to menstruation. I hope this is helpful to you and other readers. I have had a lot of experience with UTIs, unfortunately.

Also, drink water, lightly sweetened green tea and unsweetened cranberry juice daily! I swear it helps with prevention! You can even get cranberry pomegranate green tea if plain green tea is just not palatable. I know it can be a bitter, earthy experience for some who are unaccustomed to the flavor.
|

replied November 18th, 2008
Have UTI's about 3 times a month
I get Bladder infections 3 times a month, dont have insurance so haven't been able to get them checked out or find out why. I am clean. I go to the Health Food Store and get Apple Cider Vinegar pills and they actually get rid of the infection, personally I like this better then antibiotics because I know they are natural.
|

replied December 8th, 2008
What else can I do?
I have unfortunatly suffered UTIs for the last 2 years, they come along once every few months and are really very painful. They always seem to occur about 48 hours after intercourse. I've had my bladder checked with ultrasound and with a camera and there are no problems. I've had a zillion different antibiotics and yet, nothing seems to work. Its getting worse and worse and it seems every time I get an infection I'm also getting symptons of thrush that wake me up in the night and make me feel lousy. I feel like something is really wrong and no-one will take me serously. I'm sick of doctors asking if I wash every day and change my underwear and even had one consultant who told me to stop having sex. I've been with my partner for 3 years now and he's really patient, but this is making me not want to make love.
Anyone else been here??
|

replied June 24th, 2012
I have this EXACT same problem, word for word! Im also super frustrated and my ultrasound and cystoscopy showed nothing abnormal either! Doctors will only give me tons of antibiotics and its getting pricey and out of hand! Still searching for an answer.........
|

replied December 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi

I would continue to look for another doctor, I know how frustrating this is. You need to find out what is causing the re occurring UTI's.

Keep posting and I'll look online to see if I find anything for you.

Hang in there..Smile
|

replied January 19th, 2009
Very Painful.
I've been getting UTIs every month for the past few months. I've had several different antibiotics, and they seem to make it go away but a week or two later it's back again.I usually wake up to the pain in the morning,after having had sex the day before, so I'm sure that is the reason. I drink lots of water and my boyfriend and I are careful to be clean and gentle, but the UTIs keep returning. I go to the doctor at the first signs and they give me another antibiotic, but it always comes back. Is there an underlying problem that makes me super susceptible to the infections? I'm only 18 years old! I also have rheumatiod arthritis and raynauds syndrome and to daily struggle with all three of these issues is ruining my life.
|

replied January 28th, 2009
someimes I feel like giving up
Hi,
I know exactly how you feel.
In the past year I had a few UTIs and each time it was worse. Last night it was the second time when I had to rush to an emergency hospital and literally I considered wetting myself in a cab! I got there and I was crying while waiting at the reception.
The doctor gave me a painkiller (this time I didn't even care about what I got) and of course the antibiotics. Today I went to my GP to ask for a reference to a urologist and a scan and the only reply he had for me was 'that some women simply have this problem'. Once more time I had to go though the pain and the humuliation of answering the questions like 'do you wipe front to back', 'do you wash everyday' etc. just to be sent off with the message that I should simply accept the fact...Why the doctors are so reluctant to look for causes of the UTIs that are ruining our lives???
|

replied January 29th, 2009
UTI's do suck
I guess All my symptoms started last year, I was diagnosed with a massive UTI, that was caused by e-coli, and I was hospitialized for four days, plus I had to go in everyday for 10 days to receive IV antibiotics. It seems now that I get UTI's almost every month and if I don't I get them twice a month. Right now I have an excrusiating one going on right now that the anti-biotics are just not working at all. However my doctor did prescribe me a pill, it is called pyridium which lessens the symptoms, and takes away the burning, urgency to go in me. Everytime I call into the doctor, she prescibes me Cipro, which I think my body is getting immune to it because it doesn't seem to be working.
One antibiotic I found to be helpful is Bactrium DS, and it is fairly cheap-the last I paid for that was under $20 at walgreens and it worked like a charm. If you don't have the money to go to the doctor you can go to walmart or another place to get some AZO-which lessens the symptoms, but doesn't take away the infection. Or you can go to a health food store (Whole foods) and get apple cider vinegar pills- they don't taste the greatest but you gotta do what you have to do.
My husband and I are very clean people, and I always do everything they say to do, but since I am, handicapped I can only take baths and I did not know that baths could cause UTI's.
I hope this helped, and I know what your going through, but one thing is for sure...The husband is not going to like not having sex for 2 weeks...I'll be ok, I need a break anyway.
|

replied January 19th, 2010
Reoccuring Bladder Infections
I have been having bladder infections since I was born, and operations and testing like mad, so I understand how you all feel.
A couple suggestions from a veteran...woot, I'm only 23 too, when you go to the bathroom, after you have finished peeing, try to push a little bit more out, attempting to void more can help push any beginning/remaining bacteria.
The pain of an infection also depends on how much you are drinking. The more water/juice with no sugars you drink, the less it will hurt because the infection is not as concentrated.
Sex is a big thing, and I know its been talked about, but I should also mention this (and fear sounding like a clean freak) but my hubby, I love him to death, but no matter how he washes his hands prior to...he doesn't clean his fingernails.......get it?
I heard from some people that the ecoli never goes away (if you have that type of infection) that it just sits in you dormant waiting for a immune system malfunction.
You have you switch medications because the bacteria can and will adjust. Do one for a month, then switch. Some meds you can't take for more then a month anyways because of long term side effects so read the labels! Macrobid can be taken during pregnancy and for longer terms of 6 months to two years!
Essentially, what it comes down to ladies, is that our bladder systems have a weakened immune system and cannot fight off the infection on its own.
I highly reccommend going to see a naturalpath, some of these drugs have some interesting side effects, believe me, I know...and in all honesty, its best to go with nature, it will hurt you less in the end.
But if in doubt, an aleve or two a day will help with the pain.
|

replied February 12th, 2010
Uti's can also be a symptomof vaginal infection.
Hi all! I too have battled reoccuring Uti's. I am on number three in a year and hae discovered that it too is e-coli. What I want to share is that if you have a Uti, you may also have a vaginal infection that will need to be treated too. If you treat both at the same time, then the U ti willmost likely stay away,as in my case. Wish I had known this the first two times! A vaginal infection can be quite pain free, and often irritate the bladder more than the vaginal walls. Hope this helps!!
Sher
|

replied March 5th, 2010
Since Ive started dating my new bf ( we started dating in June 09 and started having sex in Aug. 09)I have been getting bladder infections atleast once a month. It normally comes the week before or the week after my period. I also sometimes get them within a day or 2 after having sex. I went to the dr for it once and they said I didnt have anything but it burns when I pee and my bladder burns. I dont really know if it is a bladder infection but since my dr told me that one time it was nothing I dont know what it is. Can anybody else help/ relate to this problem?
|

replied April 5th, 2011
Hello ladies. I am 20 years old an have been getting bladder infections since I was 16. I get about four every year so you do the math... I have tried everything from cranberry juice to wearing boxers instead of underwear cause it's really loose and breezy then. Shower like three times a day if you can. And clean really well down there. I have also found that eating pineapple helps. drink lots of water and tea and ALWAYS pee after intercourse or after being.... Handled. Smile UTI's are terribly irritating and I too have been told it " just happens". I am also taking birth control pills and having to stop to take antibiotics scares me cause I know antibiotics makes the pill ineffective. I am wondering if the pill could possibly be a problem and a reason I am getting so many? I started when I was 16 because I have cysts and I didn't engaged in sex till I was 18; yet still got so many UTI? anyone think this may be a leading factor?
|
12 >>