Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Prozac (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Hello I was dignosed today with depression and was prescribed prozac has anyone ever tried prozac if so can you give me feed back are you feeling any better? Is it true it helps you lose weight :d ? And have you had any side effects please help....Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Suzy
|

replied October 2nd, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Dear jojo,

i have never tried prozac myself, I have tried aropax which had very addictive side affects and made me sick, but then I started on a course of ciprimil and it has changed my life. Depression can be caused by very stressful situations, if there is no stress present in your life then usually it is caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. Ciprimil is one antidepressant that you are still able to become pregnant while taking, and I believe prozac is another. Antidepressants do work, it is just a matter of trying different ones until you find the one that suits you best. Hopefully someone here has tried prozac in particular and will be able to share their experience on the drug with you.

Good luck,

.::suzy::.
|

replied December 28th, 2011
I took Prozac 20mg, at age 48y/o x 5 mo. It help me with Depression I was DX.However, after 4 months I noticed I was feeling anxiety,forgetfulness and cognitive confusion. So, I quit taken. after the 5 mo.on it.I'm good and on multivitamins now. IA
|

replied October 3rd, 2003
Prozac
I'm on generic prozac right now, and also trileptal for a mood stabilizer, with xanax as needed for anxiety.

The prozac is a huuuuuuuge help for me.
Everyone is so different, the prozac brought me out of a massive depression, so up in fact, that I needed the stabilizer to bring me back down a bit.... I had a manic couple of weeks there... So i'm very stable now... Have some good days and bad days, but they're much easier to control with the meds...

Good luck!
|

replied October 3rd, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah me sister was on it because she was so sad and depressed but then she went off and now shes fine. That was a few years ago. Shes still the oddball of our family but shes better.
|

replied October 13th, 2003
Re: Prozac
I was on prozac several years ago. It worked great for a while, then I needed other meds to boost it. Eventually I got off everything but now I am back on prozac again. It is working great again, except for the side effects.
|

replied December 28th, 2011
I lost weigh taken Prozac 20mg, x 5 mo. But, it also made me anxious, forgetful and cognitive confused. IA
|

replied October 13th, 2003
Carlie what side affects did you experience? And thank you all for your information.....
|

replied October 14th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
I was on prozac for only about 10 days. I tried three different types before that. I can honestly say that while on prozac, i've never felt so sick in a my life. The worst thing was, I couldnt vomit and I really wnated 2 cos I knew i'd feel beta. I also ate like a horse-my appetite went through the roof. I'm only small but I cud have eaten 3 big diners plus breakfast and snacks. I was told 2 not come off cold turkey but I felt so ill that I did-i shook, felt dizzy and felt depserately sick for the next week. I'd never do them again. I wnated yto kill myself even more.
Saying that though, its different 4 everyone. The first one I was on made me feel invincible-i was deliriously happy but my friends guy was on them and he wnated to kill himself even more
good look jojolous and pm me whenever u need someone to talk to.
I had to tell u about my experiences 4 I couldnt lie 2 u my tip is give them a go urself and u never know, they may have a good effect
loadsa love
liz x
|

replied October 20th, 2003
Jojolous On Prozac
Hi - I was on prozac for three years and went off about one year ago. Back on as of four days ago. It takes about a month before you'll notice anything. I'm using it for anxiety mostly. Very short fuse -
|

replied January 10th, 2006
Depression
Hi jojo,
this message is for you. I have been taking prozac for about 10 years now and it works wonders on me. I started when I was 17 and now i'm 27 years old. I don't think prozac helps you lose weight but it does help people with eating disorders and depression. Take it as prescribed and you should start to see a change in yourself in about 2 weeks time. There are a few side effects to take into consideration though: decreased sexual desire (which doesn't affect me), and dry mouth, insomnia, . I think prozac is a wonderful drug and I suggest anyone who is depressed to see their doctor for help. I hope this helps! Misscsfoxy
|

replied January 27th, 2006
Natural Anti-depressant?
Has anyone here tried or considered going the natural route for dealing with anxiety and depression? I am currently taking something that does an excellent job of this with absolutely no side effects or addictions.
|

replied April 4th, 2008
Therapy: The natural anti-depressant
I don't feel like writing much, it's 5:37AM (innnsomniaaaaa), but I just got prescribed prozac (for the second time in a year). The first time, I was very unsure, the doctor prescribed it so quick and I was too hesitant to fill it. This time I plan on going on it, I have the pills (got them today) but I might wait until the weekend to start (good idea?). I don't want to have to deal with potential side-symptoms when I have classes and work to do.

Anyway, I've been with my current counselor for about 7 months now. It's very important and helpful, I think, to have a therapist. Healing can definitely come out of that, especially in the form of emotion and mental growth. There can be a positive side to the depression with that perspective. I was always a closed-up, handle-my-!**@!-myself person when it came to my emotions. The last year and a half I've been dealing with depression and anxiety, which has given new definition to the terms for me.

A counselor isn't anti-depressant, but is definitely necessary. It's like having a navigator in a car, you know where you are going sometime, you are in complete control of where you are going, but sometime you need to be reminded of the directions, or have someone to keep a conversation.

My advice when choosing a Therapist:
- Take your time finding someone, don't spend too much time with someone you don't like. If you aren't feeling like it's worth while after three or so sessions try someone else!
- Make sure they are covered by your insurance. Find this out first. Insurance or not, know what it will cost you and be prepared. (I had a great counselor that ended up not being covered for me, so I had to switch)
-Switching sucks. It's starting over all over again, it's reliving the !**@! through verbal repetition. Try to go with a recommendation from a previous doctor or friend that you trust.
-The first week of appointments, get as many in (~3) as possible. Progress starts after the doctor has gotten to know you and your situation.
-Get a p.H.D shrink. Personal experience, it matters.
-If you have to try more that one, try both male and female. Most people do have a preference.
-Be honest, they are unbiased and completely trustworthy (in my experience). Don't lie or hide the truths

That's mostly it. I've recovered a lot of control over my depression and mostly just from understanding what is going on better. Having someone to communicate with regularly helps, especially for those with their emotions locked in their chest (me).

Other things that have helped me:
-Read an inspiring book (slash don't watch or read garbage tv or books)
-Exercise, get on a team, have a jogging buddy, do it as a social thing
-Write. Get a notebook and write as much as necessary or enjoyable.

Lately, I've withdrawn and missed session. Depression is a downward spiral. Have a schedule and do your best to make the appointments.

Anyway, more than I planned to write.

Goodnightmorning,
pilly billy
|

replied March 26th, 2009
My experience with Prozak
If I take it I become some one who has no worries. Even when I should be worries but Iam not. Causing death to my business and body. Became fat and lazy.
If I do not take it then I am very productive.I will worry about everything. But at the same time I will have too much panic about everything. What or others thinking about me. May be I said something they would not like. I feel someone is after me to get me. Some one at work does not want me to succeed. I will forget where I am when driving.
|

replied January 8th, 2010
I see that I have had some of the same type of effects. I have no desire for sex, I have gained weight of about 70 pounds and when I am on Prozac I could care if the house burns down. I am going to see my doctor to see what he has to say. Do You folks think I should stop it completely? I used to be very active playing basketball and other sports and now I do not have any energy. I hate to think it is due to my age of 43. I need help.

Toni
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
test!
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
Prozac side effects?
Hi all, new to the forum, but I have been reading it for quite a while. I was just prescribed Prozac for G.A.D and depression. I always have extreme fatigue and spotty vision, low concentration! Anyone have any advice on side effects..I tried cipralex and something else with horrible side effects...hoping for better luck on prozac!
|

replied February 1st, 2010
I was on like 30 mg a day I think, and it really did help me...I'm not sure how to describe it, but I didn't have the "zombie feeling" that I did when I tried Lexapro...My only thing with the Prozac is that I actually gained weight, but I do have a tendency to have adverse reactions to a lot of medicines.
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
Thanks Willow, I am about to try it, I have not had much luck with any Anti - Deps. This will be my 3rd one, but I feel so tired and Zombie like without them, I guess I have to give it a try!
|

replied February 8th, 2010
You're welcome, and good luck. Don't give up. It may take a while, but you will eventually find something that will work. ^_^
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2010
I was recently perscribed Fluoxetine a genaric form of Prozac can anyone tell me when would be the best time of day to take it
|

replied April 29th, 2010
Hi iv just been prescribed fluoxetine (prozac) and im so scared 2 take it after i had such a bad reaction 2 citalopram before. It made me voilently sick. i just wanted 2 know if anyone has been really sick on prozac, because i need 2 take them but am scared 2 just in case im ill again!
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Aleksandra Drecun
User Profile