Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Painful Hida Scan Today...questions (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I had a hida scan with cck today. Gallbladder showed up fine, although before it showed up there was some radioactive material seen in small intestine too (does this mean anything significant?). About 10 minutes after they started the cck my abdominal pain was replicated -- ouch! But apparently my gallbladder emptied within the 35 minutes they scanned. Might I still have a low injection fraction even though it appeared to empty pretty fully? What does the pain mean? I won't have the actual results for 1-2 days and I wondered if someone who's gone through this had an experience similar to mine? Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 9th, 2004
My Two Cents
Unfortunately, having pain during the cck injection doesn't necessarily mean anything. I'm not sure what the material in the small intestine means, I hope that your doctor will be able to tell you more about that. It sounds like if the gallbladder completely emptied in 35 minutes, you will probably get a normal result on the test. Can I ask what types of symptoms you have that prompted you to get this test done? I ask because I have had the same test, only 20% ejection fraction. They want to take my gallbladder out but I am debating whether or not to have the surgery. Hope you are feeling better soon.
|

replied September 9th, 2004
Thanks For Your Reply
I posted below last week about my symptoms. They're basically the same now...Upper right quadrant pain, especially after eating, but occasionally randomly throughout the day. Still some gassiness and bloating feelings, but not as bad as before. Sometimes the pain seems to radiate to my back as well. A lot of tenderness in the urq area too. I think you're right, that the tests are going to come back "normal." it's frustrating to think that i'm going to have to undergo even more tests to figure this out. All I know is that it hurts and I want it to stop. As for the pain with the cck, i've heard different things. Some docs say it can happen to anyone and it doesn't matter, some say it's cause for gallbladder removal. There's even debate about how to administer it (all at once or over a long period). Mine was done through iv over a 30 minute period. Pain didn't start until about 10 minutes in, then lasted the rest of the time. It will be intetresting to see what my doctor says. I'll try to post an update when I find out more. Thanks again for your info! Hope everything goes well for you.
|

replied December 1st, 2004
Re: Painful Hida Scan Today...questions
sharicn wrote:
i had a hida scan with cck today. Gallbladder showed up fine, although before it showed up there was some radioactive material seen in small intestine too (does this mean anything significant?). About 10 minutes after they started the cck my abdominal pain was replicated -- ouch! But apparently my gallbladder emptied within the 35 minutes they scanned. Might I still have a low injection fraction even though it appeared to empty pretty fully? What does the pain mean? I won't have the actual results for 1-2 days and I wondered if someone who's gone through this had an experience similar to mine? Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.

it is normal to have some of the radioisotope in the small intestines during a hida scan, especially after cck injection. Excessive activity in the bowels, (rapid bowel transit) can sometimes make calculating the ejection fraction difficult.
The pain is a common adverse reaction to the cck. A slow (over 10 to 15 minutes) injection of cck usually makes this pain more tolerable.
Unless you know what you're looking at on the scan, you can't be sure what the ejection fraction is until the data is analyzed and verified by the radiologist.
|

User Profile
replied April 4th, 2011
When I got my hida scan done and they administered the cck injection the second time (30 minute period) the pain didn't go away for the rest of the day.
|

replied January 14th, 2005
Gullblader Surgery
I recently had a hida scan and after th e 2nd injection I had bad cramps.
They say my gull bladder is funtioning at 14%. I also had some other problems in the past 2 year with blood in my urine and when my urology doctor sent me in for a mri of my kidney they also showed that my gullbladder was filled with slug. Some people have gull stones and some have this slug that blocks the tube..I have never had much pain instead I have a lot of gi problems . When I eat it feels like it's stuck and it take so long to digest. I also feel like something is stuck in my throat and always have to drink alot of water. My gullbladder is set to be removed next tuesday or wednesday. I am like everyone else very scared but very hopeful that I will be able to eat without getting this bloated feeling....Good luck to everyone!!!
|

replied March 9th, 2006
Anonymous
Had An Uncomfortable Hida Scan Done Today
I had a hida scan done and with the cck my stomach start cramping like crazy. Any one out there had that to happen and the test came back okay.
My doctor did a repeat on me, the first one showed some abnormality. Wanna to be sure
|

replied April 16th, 2010
HIDA scan
I just had a HIDA Scan done this morning. When they injected the cck, I got nauseous and then my stomach began cramping. I had to raise my head each of the 4 times they injected the cck. I have been through the ultrasound, which they found polyps, but no thickening of the gallbladder wall; I have been treated for the h. pylori virus even though they did not test me for it. I just recently had a scope to check go upper GI issues and now the HIDA Scan. It seems to me that a lot of people have the same or similar symptoms, and go through a lot of the same tests only to find out in the end they have to have their gallbladder removed. Couldn''t we all have saved time and money by doing this in the beginning? ???
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2010
i am having the same pain under my right ribs and i go for the hida scan next week..i've also had endoscopy and ultrasound cause i've had lots of stomach problems and all of my tests and the biopsies so far have come back normal..i wish they would figure it out soon before i have a nervous breakdown!
|

replied May 17th, 2010
HIDA Scan
I too have had similar symptoms. The pain under the ribs isn't as bad as the nausea and vomiting that's been going on every day for over a month now. They have run all the same tests- chest x-ray, gastric emptying, blood work, abdominal scan, HIDA scan, brain lesions, etc. They've checked a lot of things and still no negative results. Waiting to hear back on HIDA scan and brain MRI. HIDA scan gave me severe cramping and nausea to the point where after the test I fell on the floor in pain. Hope they find out what's going on soon, this is ridiculous! I feel like a pincushion. Sad
|

replied September 8th, 2011
hgreen2,

May I ask what your diagnosis was? Was the severe cramping and nausea during HIDA scan enough for your dr to make a decision to remove your gall bladder?
All of my tests came back negative incuding HIDA except terrible pain after they injected cck; my dr decided to do gb removal surgery.
|

replied January 19th, 2011
HIDA scan
I have had nausea and pain under my ribs for 2 weeks now. Started with terrible vomitting for 12 hours. I had a gall bladder sono that was negative. Today had a HIDA scan, as soon as fluid reached my gall bladder I had pain. Not sure what the results will be...I just want to feel better!
|

replied January 19th, 2011
HIDA scan
I have had nausea and pain under my ribs for 2 weeks now. Started with terrible vomitting for 12 hours. I had a gall bladder sono that was negative. Today had a HIDA scan, as soon as fluid reached my gall bladder I had pain. Not sure what the results will be...I just want to feel better!
|

replied February 15th, 2011
i have had the RUQ pain now for about three months with bloating and gas after eating and lots of bad squirts can't go far from the bathroom after eating i go in for a hida scan in the morning because the ultrasound showed i had sludge in the galbladder i am not looking forward to the cramping pain but i guess if it shows something it will be worth it how long will i be radioactive after the scan and do i have to stay away from people. thanks
|

replied February 17th, 2011
Well i had my hida scan yesterday morning no problems even after the cck injection i did not cramp or have any pain until like 8 hours later then it was like i had just eaten a greasy hamberger i have not gotten the results from the doctor but can some one tell me if not having any problems with the cck if that means the gallbladder is not working thanks
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2011
Hidascan pain
I too had a hidascan today. As soon as the dr. started injecting the cck I started to get urq pain. At first it was not bad, it progressivly got worse (worse than what it normally is after eating). The pain was so intense it took my breath away and the dr. had to stop and wait a few min for the pain to back off. It backed off some, he continued the injection and the pain started right back up. It felt as if someone reached inside me and was squeezing as hard as they could. About 15 min after he completed the injection (which he stopped twice to let pain back off), the pain backed off to where it was just uncomfortable. I too wont have the results back for 1-2 days so dont know what it will show. I do know that I do not want to have to have that done again anytime soon.
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
Hida Scan Stomach Pain,
Hi, I know this is a whole year later since posted this. However, Today I just experienced exactly what you did last March. The pain behind and above my navel was worst than my two embillical hernia's that I had removed. It did feel like a squeezing or twisting inside of me. It hurted so bad to breathe that I had to breathe like I was having contractions during labor.

May I ask what were your results?

Thanks
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
Hida Scan Stomach Pain,
Hi, I know this is a whole year later since posted this. However, Today I just experienced exactly what you did last March. The pain behind and above my navel was worst than my two embillical hernia's that I had removed. It did feel like a squeezing or twisting inside of me. It hurted so bad to breathe that I had to breathe like I was having contractions during labor.

May I ask what were your results?

Thanks
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
HIDA Scan with CCK
I had a HIDA scan today with the CCK too. At first they couldn't find my gallbladder. I've been having pain in my upper abdomen along with dirareha and vomiting after eating. I had the ultrasound last week and it showed everything was normal. I did begin to have pain as soon as they injected the CCK, it was injected over 20 minutes and I had a lot of intense cramping. I hope to get an answer at my appoitment on Thursday. I would just like to be able to eat again. It seems like the only thing I can keep down is coke - and I'm gaining so much weight because of all the sugar!
|

replied April 29th, 2011
I had my second HIDA scan today. I have been having problems with abdominal pain since last September. All of my scans have been negative including the first HIDA scan. The scan I had today was the HIDA with CCK. I am praying that I get some answers today as this was the most painful procedure that I have every had. At least my surgeon is at the point that he believes my gallbladder needs to come out.
|

replied May 15th, 2011
I have had upper abdominal pain for about 6 weeks now, so bad I feel nauseous pretty much daily, but no vomiting. Sometimes I can only take a couple bites of food at a meal, can't finish the rest. I occasionally feel a pain in the middle of my shoulder blades, I get very nauseous when I exercise, I became dizzy and almost fainted a couple of days ago. All of my tests have come back negative, ultrasound, HIDA scan, having a CT scan of abdomen tomorrow. Today I have hardly had any pain. I don't understand and I am very confused. Anyone out there with similar story?
|

replied May 17th, 2011
yes im in the same boat..all tests are coming back nothing.i have to go through a ct scan friday but i kept pushing and the surgeon scheduled my surgery for the 26th of may. i felt like this since march and the dizzy feeling happening just the past week. let me know if they find something on ct scan luckily my surgeon did not hesitate but ive been having pains on and off for 5 years. just recently its been more persistent..all this started out as chest pain then the burning and pain in urq, burping alot gas, bloating shoulder blade hurts even my lower back hurts, havent throwed up yet but feel like it, dizziness bad taste in mouth...keep pushing drs and do your research..
|

replied July 15th, 2011
Please ask your doctor for a C-urea breath test to see if you have an overgrowth of H-pylori which is a stomach bacteria, (there are many genetic variations of this bacteria), that cause inflamation and ulcers.
If you have had this test and your bacteria count was under 30% then proceed with other investigations. This bacteria can infiltrate the biliary ducts and cause a variety of problems.
|

replied July 15th, 2011
Please ask your doctor for a C-urea breath test to see if you have an overgrowth of H-pylori which is a stomach bacteria, (there are many genetic variations of this bacteria), that cause inflamation and ulcers.
If you have had this test and your bacteria count was under 30% then proceed with other investigations. This bacteria can infiltrate the biliary ducts and cause a variety of problems.
|

replied July 21st, 2011
Bacterial Overgrowth and intestinal probs!
Wow...I had that test...it was a breath test of Lactolose and indicated number through the freakin' roof. They called in the other staff to see it! Then, antibiotics for a month...and then nothing. Drs poo poo the whole thing but now I have "gall bladder issues" with lots of pain. I tell EVERY dr. about this breath test and its results but no one seems to give it much validity. Any other experiences or info would be greatly appreciated!
|

replied July 21st, 2011
Bacterial Overgrowth and intestinal probs!
Wow...I had that test...it was a breath test of Lactolose and indicated number through the freakin' roof. They called in the other staff to see it! Then, antibiotics for a month...and then nothing. Drs poo poo the whole thing but now I have "gall bladder issues" with lots of pain. I tell EVERY dr. about this breath test and its results but no one seems to give it much validity. Any other experiences or info would be greatly appreciated!
|

replied July 27th, 2011
if you read about the lactulose breath test on the NIH website, they actually don't grant it much validity at all. i had one done and my numbers were, in my opinion, slightly high, capping off at about 70 at around 3.5 hrs and then tapering down. i did not have the classic dual peaks that occur with small bowel overgrowth (aka SIBO). careful overdoing it with high doses of xiafaxan, as you can easily get c.diff and throw your system into a whole other problem. i had c.diff as a kid, it's a bacterial reaction to antibiotic treatment. furthermore, xiafaxan stops the growth of bacteria while you take it, only allowing bacteria to grow rampant once you stop taking it. i really don't put stock in a. the test after reading up on it from the NIH, or b. the treatment.

i just left my HIDA scan. the screen stayed dark after the cck injection. i'm unsure as to whether or not this means that my gallbladder did not empty. i've been dealing with all kinds of stomach symptoms--an affair of both ends if you will (ha), nausea, upper abdominal pain most severe after eating and at night when laying down. i'm ready for some results and for this demon to GO.
|
12 >>