Medical Questions > Mens Health > Mens Conditions Forum

Erection During An Exam....? (Page 1)

Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
Does anyone else get an erection while at the doctor's office?

I'm a straight 34 year old male in generally good health, but I hate going to the doctor because of this condition. Whenever I go in for a physical, I get an embarassing erection. I can usually "delay" it through the abdominal exam, but when it's time for the hernia/testicular exam, i'm usually at least partially erect. Lord knows what will happen in a few year when I have to have my prostate checked. Confused

It doesn't seem to matter if it's a male or female doctor.

Is this something doctors routinely experience - patients with an erection? Or is this some type of isolated physical/psychological condition?

Thanks in advance for any information you may have.

B
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile SylvanWiz
|

replied September 5th, 2004
Experienced User
|

replied March 28th, 2012
Hey B ,
No, you are not alone developing Exam Erections.
I,ve seen same Dr. for 5 years now and twice now, when he had to check down there, (front and back), it was totally embarrassing to develop an erection. And I let him know I was mortified by having one in front of him.

He sort of chuckled, "cause he said it happens fairly frequently with men--But we guys don't want to admit it or talk about it---So we go home embarrassed, shameful, humiliated, or whatever.
Further, he said he and his fellow Dr.'s really have seen it sooo many times,and it Is Not part of the routine genital exam we have, (Unless erections a problem), he has enough other info to put in our med. records, and he doesn't give it another thought post exam.
So yeah-ain't as big a deal as we sometimes think.
nem
|

replied April 22nd, 2014
dont get embarassed.many men get erection at such time..doctors also know...you can masturbate before visiting.
|

replied September 5th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
You are normal,many men get erections at the doctor.Try to masturbate before your appointment,as june said.Doctors have seen it all,don't be embarassed!Patty
|

replied November 12th, 2004
Perhaps this was the topic where I should have initially posted, as a reply, but I did initiate a new topic (see temperature in the butt...) for the most part, physical exams which included various genital & rectal checks were of no consequence; but a recent rectal temperature taken on me changed that, as it did cause an erection. Why though I don't know. So, yes there are procedures and circumstances that for whatever reasons, when we're getting an exam, result in arousal and an erection.
|

replied November 25th, 2004
I would not let this bother you as medical doctors are proffessionals and will understand that this is embarrasing for you. Do not let this deter you from going for very important medical examinations which could potentially save your life!
|

replied December 1st, 2004
Erection During Exam
Aemul,
thanks for your response. You're correct. It's a medical procedure done for what the professional (md) felt was appropriate and that is to my benefit.
|

replied December 7th, 2005
Erection During Exam...
Oh, I am sooooooo glad I am not alone!!!!!! I am a 23/m and have always feared exams. I had one when I was 17. I had my underwear on and a cover, but then it was time to stand up and bend over. After checking my backside, I heard the dr say, 'turn around and drop your draws!' I almost had him repeat it out of embarrasement, but instead made a good guess and dropped my underwear to my knees. My penis was standing strong - talk about humilation! After coughing and all that, I finally was able to pull my underwear back up......Just as I looked down I noticed my penis had a drop of precum on it, and another drop had hit the floor! I'm just glad I don't know that dr personally! :0)

i had another one when I was 22 - different dr - and this time I wore a robe. My penis was pretty good most of the time....I had to concentrate on reading the posters in the room and such, but then when I knew the time was getting closer, I couldn't hold back, and it started growing, but never got fully erect....But it was heading there!

I'll have to masturbate 1st next time......However, sometimes that makes me even more nervous because then all I can think about is all the planning that went into it....And up it comes! :o)
|

replied December 8th, 2005
Experienced User
I'm a doctor and I see this a lot during physical exams, usually with the younger guys. It's not a big deal and you shouldn't be embarassed.
|

replied March 30th, 2012
blil don't worry about it. As others have said, you're not alone. A few years ago I was having a complete physical with a new doctor. I had already removed my shirt for the first part of the exam.

When it came time for the lower body he asked me to undo and lower my pants; it was summer and I had on lightweight linen pants. As soon as I started to lower the pants and my underwear, everything just dropped to the floor from the weight of my belt. So I just stepped out of them and (somewhat unexpectedly for both of us) was standing there completely nude. After a minute, I was mortified to realize I was getting an erection. My rising penis grazed his wrist on its way up as he was palpating my testicles. I was horrified.

I wanted to stay cool and act like nothing unusual was going on, but my hardening penis was pretty much in his way. So I swallowed my pride and pulled it over to one side out of the way. He said thanks!

But here's the most important part I wanted to share with you: after he had finished and was getting up from the stool, I could see that he was aroused himself. He didn't say a word, but reached down and adjusted himself to make his bulge a little less obvious, then when he saw I was watching him he just gave me a sheepish grin and then turned around to write in my chart.

So for all you know your doc might be dealing with his own erection, if that's any consolation!
|

replied October 26th, 2012
I think this happened to me. Though, I didn't see the doctor's erection, he was acting very suspicious about something lol.

I think it was partly my fault. When I pulled my pants down, I accidentally lifted my shirt too high, revealing my trimmed pubes and how I shave. I think I did it too sensually or something. Idk. He just just like glanced at it

I had a slight erection when he checked my genitals, and I don't even know. He was just very awkward. Not awkward to tell me if I had anything, because he was very comfortable with explaining things.

When he looked me in the eyes I saw the nerves in his eyes grow.

Weirrrrrd. I hope he wasn't implying anything bad though. Hahaha.
|

replied January 13th, 2006
Experienced User
Erections Durin Exams.
I have observed that when another person touches areas near your private part, you get an erection. You might not get over this; besides there is nothing wrong with it and of course, the doctors hv seen it all.

I think even masturbation an hr b4 might not help either cuz touch and erection can come just 15 minutes after a release, as I experience it.

On the over-all, just relax man!
|

replied September 4th, 2006
Medical Exams And Erections
I 'm a young man. When I was a guy I underwent a physical exams once a year. It was a ceck-up. I had also to take my briefs off to undergo a genital exams. I sometimes had an erection . I remember being embarrassed when I underwent army medical exam. I was with other twenty boys inside the barracks. We were naked in a doctor's room. We were weighed. The doctor measured our thorax circumference and our highness. Afterwards he visited our chest, our back, our abdomen and cecked our eyes and feet. Finally everybody underwent a genitals exam opposite the doctor: testicles, scrotum and penis. I had an erection during this medical palpation.
After finishing this exam, we can come back into dressing room to dress ourselves.
|

replied June 18th, 2007
Erections During Physical Examination
I know how you guy's feel it is extremely embarrassing to get aroused during a physical examination due to getting a large erection during an examination of my own. The doctor said not to worry cos he has seen plenty of erections in the past and is used to them. It didn't stop him from carrying on with the examination. I was extremely embarrassed and he said not to be cos it is a normal reaction to get an erection during a genital exam. hope you find my personal experience useful for those of you who haven't had the examination. don't worry if you get aroused it may be Embarassed but try to ignore it.
|

replied June 18th, 2007
Go to a female doctor. That should be significantly less embarrassing.
|

replied June 19th, 2007
Erection During Physical Examination
Hey Shady41, I think having an Examination by a female doctor would be more embarrassing because the Erection would be firmer and more uncomfortable to touch especially if you suffer phimosis like I do. it was bad enough getting an Erection infront of a male doctor but a female one come off it man. Be serious.
|

replied June 19th, 2007
I wouldn't be too embarassed either. You really can't be. Doctors probably have this happen to them a lot. More then you think. I would just get it over with and can it til you go next time. Haha good luck
|

replied June 19th, 2007
cheers theman12468 , you've been a gr8 help I unfortunately have to go to hospital for a circumcision which i am not looking forward to. i hopefully won't be embarrassed if i get another erection infront of my GP again from your advice i take gr8 comfort that knowing from the 1st time that there is nothing to be embarrassed about as it is a normal reaction to get an erection whilst being examined. thanks again for your compassion and i will take the good luck and be fearless about the operation it's self.
|

replied June 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Hey, some women get "excited" during pap smears too ya know, so it's not just a guy problem! That stuff tickles! Especially when they smoosh your stomach.
|

replied July 8th, 2011
I do agree it's quite natural
|

replied June 21st, 2007
hey Eiri, I am well aware that females get aroused during examinations and it ma be Embarassed for them too. But mens penile arousal is more noticable and not easy to hide. But that's not the point. getting horny infront of the Doc is extremely Embarassed but you have to let the GP get on with the examination and not let it bother you.
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Of course the bottom line is that you have to let the examination continue.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Hiya ProZack, thank-you for the info that ya posted but what does the urologist do b4 the op and what happens after when i see my GP after the post op fortnite? i am scared of the whole op idea and the possibility of becoming impotent. any advice you can offer me on this issue.
|

replied March 10th, 2008
i got and erection while having an ultrasound on my testacles it took so long that I exploded, i could not hold it back, i was mortified. now I'm going for an other ultrasound, I'm thinking of not going.
|
Quick Reply