Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Bladder Problems (Page 1)

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
I am 5 weeks post op from hysterectomy- I have one ovary remaining. I have had pain with urination since day one and it is not getting better. My doc has consulted with urologist and I am now on some medication. Slight improvement but still not comfortable to urinate. Is this common? It feels like my bladder is being pinched during midflow. Can anyone help me with some advise? Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper unluckytimes
|

replied September 6th, 2004
Bladder
It could have been from the catheter. I know that mine was not inserted correctly and I almost blew up! Finally the nurse listened to me and I filled up to the brim one of those potty specimen things. (they call it a speci-hat in the hospital b/c it looks like a hat) suggest pyridium to your doc. It is used for urinary tract infects. And it kind of "numbs" the urethra so that you can have less painful urination. Beware, it turns your urine orange, but that's a hell of alot better than dreading to go to the bathroom b/c you know that you are going to scream! Hope that helps! Jenn Laughing
|

replied September 8th, 2004
Bladder Problem
I had a hysterectomy back on 6-29-04 during which my bladder was damaged. It was repaired at the time but I still have a leakage. Right now I have 2 cathers. One of which is attached to a urinary bag for drainage. I have had the problem with the burning when urinaring. I was told by my urologist that this comes about when the cather has been in there so long. In 2 more weeks I am going back in for another operation to have my bladder repaired again. I am hoping that this is the last time I have to have this done. They have waited this long to give my body a chance to recover from the hysterectomy.
|

replied September 12th, 2004
Bladder
Bless your heart. I hope that all goes well at the next visit. I hated that catheter so bad! I can not imagine still having it in!
|

replied September 14th, 2004
Bladder Problem
Thank you I hope it all goes well too so that I can go back to work.
|

replied November 12th, 2004
Catheter/bladder
Hi, how did they damage bladder..I have to have mine sewn in place cause its hanging down... Rolling Eyes and why did u need catheter? Does everyone have one after hysterectomy? Ikes...Lol
|

replied November 23rd, 2004
Bladder
Hi - i'm new here, ran across your forum while hunting for information regarding bladder damage during a hysterectomy...My "hyst" was last tuesday (the 16th) and my bladder was "nicked" during surgery. After four days in the hospital, I got to come home with my new friend "foley" - i'm sorry but I don't like foley very much Crying or Very sad . Luckily, I should be able to have him removed next monday - but in the mean while, i'm experiencing something new it seems every day! My doctor finally prescribed xcolycaine (i'm sure I spelled it wrong but don't have the energy to walk upstairs to check) for the burning i've been having - what a relief! Has anyone else tried this? And please, tell me that in the end all of this will have been worth it?

Debbi Smile
|

replied June 11th, 2011
I had a hyst on May 31st. After 3 days sent home from hosp. Everthing seemed fine. A day or 2 after being home I began urinating on myself. I went back to gyn. He said I had a small hole in my bladder. I was sent to a urologist. I had two holes in my bladder. I've had two bladder surgies and still need another. I've been wearing a Foley since April. I still have leakage with the Foley. I've become very good friends with a cream with lidocaine. It numbs irritating areas caused from the cat. Good luck to you. Michelle
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2011
Have hole between bladder and vagina - oh, my
Bless your heart - I had a total abdominal hyst 3 wks ago, and my bladder was nicked. Came home with a foley which was removed 5 days later. 24 hours later I started gushing....I became very acquainted with Depends (ugh). I had several tests done, including a Cystoscopy, Urogram and Cystogram. Turns out I have a hole between my bladder and vagina, so now I have a foley once again for 2-3 weeks. If the hole does not heal itself, the Urologist said I will need major surgery to repair it. I have urine coming out of both the urethra and the vagina. I'm sick and tired of the whole thing. I'm tired of diapers and I'm tired of foleys. I used to have a VERY strong bladder, now if I move, I pee. My quality of life has diminished substantially, and I'm still young. Oh well, thanks for reading. I feel better venting.
|

replied July 29th, 2011
catheter frustration
Exact same timing and situation here, holeinone. Hysterectomy 7/11, emergency surgery for abdominal cavity full of urine and infection on 7/15. Foley since 7/15. I feel sooo much better, but this d#$%^mn catheter hurts my urethra soooo bad! Doc says it "might" heal itself in 3 weeks to 4 months; if not, under the knife again Sad which will be very difficult apparently because of the placement of the hole between bladder and vagina. How will I ever start teaching again next month when standing up makes my bladder spasm and leak and walking feels like someone stuck a botle brush inside me? I can only be thankful it isn't worse...
|
Users who thank crickrhet for this post: holeinone 

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2011
I am so terribly sorry for what you are going through, but I'm so thankful I'm not alone -- I really thought there was NO way someone else was going through what I am. And I'm tired of my friends and family and those I barely know telling me, "You're such a strong woman, you'll make it just fine." I don't care how "strong" you are, this is hell. Nothing can prepare you for this. I've been through cancer, and it was easier. Really. Four months? OMG, why so long? Doc told me 2-3 weeks and if not resolved by then, surgery. I am in so much pain right now. I'm taking Aleve. Does anything help you with the pain? I know what you mean about the bottle brush. I feel like I have a dry tampon that is "stuck" and trying to come out when I walk. Good luck going back to work. At least it will keep your mind off things (hopefully). This may sound like a dumb question, but how can you tell if you have urine in your abdominal cavity? I have urine coming out of the vagina as well....Ugh! I'll keep you in my prayers.
|

replied August 27th, 2011
I Have the same problem I have to wear depends plus a pad cause i leak so bad I have a hole from my bladder to my vagina it is quite annoying I go bk to doc sept 8 11, hopefully he can help me, this was cause from a hysterectomy so im kinda adament bout haveing another surgery but im over it, i have had this catheter since july 12th ready to get my life back and pain free, no more urine leakage im to young for this,
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2011
MSNEWLIN: There is hope, really!! I had my bladder "nicked" on July 1st, and except for 1 week, I've had a catheter in since then (8+ weeks!). I won't sugar-coated...it's been Hell. I'm a 3-time cancer survivor, and going through cancer was easier than this...seriously! I've had 4 UTI's and have been hospitalized once, just a week ago. I've had every test in the book. I don't know know big your vesicovaginal fistula is, mine turned out to be the size of a pin hole. I had a Cystoscopy today and my Urologist (God Bless Him!) cauterized the hole while he was in there looking around, and will remove the foley in 2 days. The success rate is very good, so we're keeping our fingers crossed. I can tell you this...ever since he cauterized the fistula I have not had any leakage whatsoever from my vagina or around the catheter. My leakage had gotten so bad that I was wearing a Depend brief AND a Poise Hourglass pad, both at the same time, and I was STILL soaking both, plus the towel I put underneath, and urine leaked down my legs when I stood up. I could not even walk around the house. One thing I found when I was in the hospital is that when you gush so much, your potassium levels get really low and they had to keep giving me potassium in the hospital, so make sure you have your potassium levels checked. If this does not work, I will need surgery, but I have the best Urologist in my area, and we are both very confident this cauterization will work. Before you go through major surgery, please ask your Urologist about cauterizing your fistula if it's small enough. It's a better alternative to major surgery. I wish you well. Please feel free to ask me any questions. God Bless You. Oh, yeah.....during this ordeal I did a LOT of praying, and my priorities in life sure have changed. It's amazing the things we take for granted in this world! If you believe in God, please pray, it really does help. God wants to see us happy, not sad. Hugs and Love. Amy
|

replied July 29th, 2011
catheter frustration
Exact same timing and situation here, holeinone. Hysterectomy 7/11, emergency surgery for abdominal cavity full of urine and infection on 7/15. Foley since 7/15. I feel sooo much better, but this d#$%^mn catheter hurts my urethra soooo bad! Doc says it "might" heal itself in 3 weeks to 4 months; if not, under the knife again Sad which will be very difficult apparently because of the placement of the hole between bladder and vagina. How will I ever start teaching again next month when standing up makes my bladder spasm and leak and walking feels like someone stuck a botle brush inside me? I can only be thankful it isn't worse...
|
Users who thank crickrhet for this post: holeinone 

replied August 7th, 2011
I feel your pain. I had a hyst over 3 yrs. ago, and my bladder was cut...2 inches. They repaired it at that time. I was to go home with the foley for 2 wks. before removal. During the two weeks, I had urine leaking and gushing continuously around the catheter. Thinking there was a problem with the catheter, they replaced it a couple of times. After being admitted back into the hospital because of the pain and the urine gushing everywhere, it was determined the repair didn't work and I needed major surgery again. But, I had to wait at least 3 months after the 1st bladder surgery. My local doctors set up the surgery to take place at Duke University hospital (out-of-town) with the best doctor in the country for these types of repairs. I appreciated that they were determined for me not to need a third surgery. All of my doctors locally and out-of-town were wonderful and tried very hard to ease the bad experience I was having. Those three months were the worst anyone could imagine. I wore 16-20 depends a day. The foley catheter was of no use so it was removed totally. In one hour, the diaper would be soaked full of urine. It was awful and painful. I sat and layed on bed pads all the time. I cried to myself everyday, but I tried to stay strong. I don't know what I would have done without GOD, my family and friends. They were all there with me every step of the way. After the 2nd surgery, I made it back to my home town with a foley for 3 weeks. Those 3 wks. were rough, but the outcome was very successful. It took almost a year after surgery before the spasms completely ended. I am so grateful and blessed to now go to the bathroom normal. I am only dealing with a very weak bladder now...leakage with sneezing, coughing, etc. But, I will gratefully deal with these small complications! I am now 46, and I don't know what the future holds. But, I thank GOD every day! This is my first time ever writing to anyone online about my experience. But, I wanted to share it. I wish you well, and I hope everything also works out for you. - Memphis Experience
|

replied March 10th, 2012
i hope this reply finds you in better health! i was so inspired by your story. my aunt, who as close to me as a sister and young like u, had a similar issue after her historectomy. i really believe the doctor/hospital planned to let her bleed to death to cover their mistake. by the grace off god, after 4 blood transfusions, almost dieing due to the of blood even after the transfutions. she was finally moved to another hospital the found the nipped bladder. her bladder at this point had locked up. but we r just thankful she made it this far and we still have a chance to fight for the long road ahead!

i wanted to find out your urologist at duke if possible to send to her husband, they r in NY. But duke saved my father life with a cancer surgery so i have much faith in them.
sorry abot the mispells and caps, issues wth ipad.
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
bladder damage after or during hysterectomy
Dear Memphis experience. I too am in Memphis.. had hyster. Inn feb. I have had intermittint discharge w/brownish ting (blood). I alsoexperienced allergic reaction to stitches / tape etc... gyn says vaginal cuff looks great... I have had much pain in bladder. & maybe kidneys. Blood inurine. But not each visit. The uroligist wants to do scope anlook at my bladder and do cat can of kidneys. Dr. Is going on vacation. But I'm thinking I might need these tests done sooner tha later. Sounding like bladder damage is common.. I'm wondering if the vaginall discharge is bladder related?m?

Very nervous!!
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
bladder damage after or during hysterectomy
Dear Memphis experience. I too am in Memphis.. had hyster. Inn feb. I have had intermittint discharge w/brownish ting (blood). I alsoexperienced allergic reaction to stitches / tape etc... gyn says vaginal cuff looks great... I have had much pain in bladder. & maybe kidneys. Blood inurine. But not each visit. The uroligist wants to do scope anlook at my bladder and do cat can of kidneys. Dr. Is going on vacation. But I'm thinking I might need these tests done sooner tha later. Sounding like bladder damage is common.. I'm wondering if the vaginall discharge is bladder related?m?

Very nervous!!

Any advise. Would. Be welcomed!

Or am I just a hypocondriac?
|

replied August 9th, 2011
This same thing happened to me I had total hysterectomy my bladder was nicked twice and ureter was nicked they has to put a stint in from my kidneys I have a foley for 5 more wks, I also have a fiscula that formed from my bladder to my vagina it is quite annoying and scary to have urine come out from where ity should not, but im keeping my head up and hopeing to get well soon and get my life back!
|

replied September 22nd, 2011
BLADDER CUT DURING HYSTO
i had the same surgery in aug,my bladder was also nick but they called in the urologist to fix it while they did the hysto, surgery took three hours and recovery took hours because i had to have blood transfusions, i am still leaking and sometimes it just pours out like a river...i had the calf 17 days and they took it out,on are you still having problems or are you fixed? and when you say they want you to heal from the surgery before they go back in ,how long is that?
wed and i still leaked a little but by monday it was non stop ,went to the doc they put me on pills and recalfed me. pills has worked ,but after four weeks of this really is my bladder going to heal on its on? i go back tues for more test... i hate this calf,it feels like a cardboard tampon.,and hurts,i hate the leaking ,i want to be fixed so i can get rid of this calf,yes depends have become my friend as well..... but i shall keep counting on GOD .........
|

replied September 22nd, 2011
BLADDER CUT DURING HYSTO
i had the same surgery in aug,my bladder was also nick but they called in the urologist to fix it while they did the hysto, surgery took three hours and recovery took hours because i had to have blood transfusions, i am still leaking and sometimes it just pours out like a river...i had the calf 17 days and they took it out,on are you still having problems or are you fixed? and when you say they want you to heal from the surgery before they go back in ,how long is that?
wed and i still leaked a little but by monday it was non stop ,went to the doc they put me on pills and recalfed me. pills has worked ,but after four weeks of this really is my bladder going to heal on its on? i go back tues for more test... i hate this calf,it feels like a cardboard tampon.,and hurts,i hate the leaking ,i want to be fixed so i can get rid of this calf,yes depends have become my friend as well..... but i shall keep counting on GOD .........
|

replied October 13th, 2011
I just had hysterectomy and put a sling in on september 27th, my bladder was also nicked, i had to wear catheter for catheter was taken out october 7th, i went pee a little, dr. said it was okay to go home then, about 2 hours after being home i had to pee again and the pain was horrible, so i called my husband, he had to take me back to the dr. and they put catheter back in, ahh what a relief, then the dr. said i could take the catheter out myself at home on that next monday october 10th, so i did, no problem, ever since then it hurts so bad to pee, when i do i have to sit back on the toilet and hold my legs up some and squeeze my legs together and then it doesn't hurt so bad, i do not think i am peeing as much as i should be each time i go, ill pee a little, then stops, pee a little more, stops again and then after a 3rd time im done..does anyone know how long this will last? im so frustrated, is this normal??
|

replied February 18th, 2012
hole in bladder
OMG..have been searching for something very similar to my own situation. Sitting here crying with a foley bag! Had surgery on 1/11/12...full abdominal hysterectomy...in hosp for 6 days b/c of severe kidney and bladder infection. have been home for a few weeks and trying to tell my gyno, and my pcp what was happening. Finally four days ago non stop urinating!! from my vagina!!! saw a urogynocologist and he inserted cath and had a ct scan....go back on thursday for that camera scope. i am angry and disappointed with the care and neglect i received that has brought me to this position...this is my third cath since my surgery and this one HURTS so bad can hardly move (they did give me meds but i don't think they work very well) and yes....still leaking (from vagina) Yuck! I am young too at 47 and very active...do you think our bladders will ever be the same? I hope we don't leak forever I really, really can't bare to live this way!!! I hope you are doing better since your post and can offer some words of encouragement!!
|

replied January 13th, 2005
Bladder Leakage From Hyst
Yes can anyone help... I had my complete hyst. 3 weeks ago today. I have been experiencing bladder leakage. Is this normal and will this get better. Please help

cooper :lol:
|

replied April 23rd, 2005
Someone had asked if everyone has their bladder tacked after a hysterectomy. The answer is no. The correct term for tacking of the bladder is a tvt- transvaginal taping. It is a very simple and quick procedure. It is not always successful, but it usually is. The reason for the tvt is because there is no longer a uterus to support the bladder. Over time, our pelvic muscles relax. That is why it is very important to do our keigles!! Xylocaine(topical) for foley discomfort is a blessing for sure! As far as damaging a bladder during a gynological procedure, it can happen many ways. First, the doctor can nick it with scissors or another instrument. While pushing down the bladder to remove the uterus, it can be torn. Any of these injuries, if caught before closure, can be fixed with a chromic suture. Bladder damage during a hysterectomy is not a common problem, but it does occur. Bladder leakage after a hysterectomy is very common. It is due to the bladder lacking the support from the uterus. It gets better as your pelvis heals. Do your keigle exercises. It will make all the difference.
|
Users who thank surgeonassist for this post: Momofive 

replied May 4th, 2005
Bladder Worsening.
I had my partial hyst late last fall. My dr, tried to do it vagially, but there was adhersions to my intestines. So it was taken abdomenally. I had some bladder leakage before, but that was blamed on my prolapsed uterus. I am only 27 and when I cough or sneeze I leak. I am returning to my gyn next week because I also spotted last week and that scared me. I was experiencing cramps and my breasts are tender. I wonder what that is all about. :?
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2005
Community Volunteer
After any gynae surgury the pelvic floor muscles are weakened the best way to help these is as with any muscle to exercise them - kegal exercises.

I'll go and find you some.

Even ladies who haven't had any surgury shoul do them as it helps prevent incontinence in later years!
|

replied August 18th, 2005
kia_breizzze wrote:
after any gynae surgury the pelvic floor muscles are weakened the best way to help these is as with any muscle to exercise them - kegal exercises.

I'll go and find you some.

Even ladies who haven't had any surgury shoul do them as it helps prevent incontinence in later years!

hiya 3 weeks post op full vaginal hyst suffering bladder problems after catheter fitted incorrectly and pains in my hips when I am trying to sleep. Finding it hard to send these messages I always end up repeating what the person has said before how do I stop it?
|

replied October 15th, 2005
I had abdominal hysterectomy-and I get a heavy cramp after iv emptied my bladder. I have no water infection-i feel like my bladder is falling through -can your bladder drop from a hysterectomy??
|

replied January 3rd, 2007
Help
I had a hysterectomy, and ever since then, I have to pee alot more often. Is this normal? Question Question Question Question
|

replied May 5th, 2008
Bladder leakage after hysterectomy
I had a complete hysterectomy in 1983. At the time the doctor told me that in the future my bladder may have leakage. I am 53 years old and now if I cough I urinate on myself, I also leak just walking. I have had to start wearing incontinece pads. Is there something that can be done to help to correct this problem?
|

replied September 17th, 2008
bladder problems
My mon had a hysterectomy last week and has had to go home with a catheter. She has had the catheter removed atleast 4 times to see if she can urinate without it and has not been able to. How long is a normal time frame for her to have to wear the catheter?
|

replied September 20th, 2008
3 weeks ago I had a total hysterectomy and was recovering just fine. After 2 weeks I started experiencing burning and leakage and thought I just had a bladder infection and was given anti-biotics for the infection and peridium for the pain. I thought it would go away, but gradually the leakage got worse. I am now gushing every time I stand up and have to wear a damn diaper. They did some tests and found that I now have a hole at the top of the bladder, and gave me a catheter and a foley. So now I not only have to wear a diaper, I have a bag to empty too! I am a healthy woman, and never had bladder problems before this. I have more tests on Monday to find out what they are going to do. Leakage is not normal, but I guess this happens a lot. I was told that I had the best surgeon, and I suppose even the best surgeons make these mistakes. I just hope there is something that can be done to correct this problem. I can't take this leaking much longer. It's getting worse and worse. I can't even leave the house for more than an hour. I can't even go back to work yet.
|

I have been given Bactrima nd Cipro for my UTI. I'm 30 years old and have at least 100+ UTI's and at least 4+ Kidney infections. My right kidney works 20% and my left workd 80%. Due to my medical condition as a child I will always get UTI's becasue I have a reflux. When I urine, my bladder is larger than the normal so I don't completely empty my bladder and when I void, I don't void everything that the remaining enters back into my bladder. I have got a stent placed in the uretha but that didn't help. Now that I have experienced many UTI's, I have never experienced the smell of tar in my urine. I have no pain, I have not eaten any types of food or fruits that would change it either. HELP!!!!
|

I used to get bladder infections every month for about two years too, and it's a dreadful infection, makes you feel horrible. I'm sorry to hear you're going through this.

In my case, wearing skirts or sweats helped so it didn't squeeze me down there. Cranberry (you can find it in pills also) helps.

Washing yourself with cool water and warm water for five minutes around the area can help a little. Products like vagisil feminine wash can keep the area clean so it helps keep bacteria from getting into the bladder area.

In my case my bladder became infected from having irritable bowel problems, and my intestine irritated the entire regioin, including my bladder. So, in case you have tummy pains too, you might want to get that checked out.
|

replied December 11th, 2008
repair or finishing hysterectomy
I had partial hysterectomy removing my uterus after having a hemmorage and blood tranfusion.( I had large fibriods and would bleed very heavy) I did not know the physician performing the procedure. I was in the process of finding another physician. The doctor who performed the surgery
left my cervix and ovaries which I found out had complex cyts. Why they where left is beyound me. He claims I was to young to have my ovaries taken out. Well I ended up four months later having to go back to have the surgery again, to remove what he left behind. I was supposed to have a larposcopic simple surgery. Day Surgery turned into 4 days in the hospital and severe bladder issues. Due to severe scaring or puncture of the bladder. the doctors decided to leave the cervix because it was to attached to the bladder and said I needed to see a urologost. They took out the catheder and I could not urinate my stomach looked like I swallowed a basketball. When they tried another time to remove the catheder I urininated alot of blood. They put it back in and it was clear. I am home and in alot a pain and in need of some advice as to what I should be looking out for I urinate alot and when I have to go it is ugent. I will speak with the doctors when I have my post follow up and pray leaving the cervix is not a problem and the surgeries are over. It took yeare to finnally give in to the hysterectomy and it has been a nightmare. One good thing I won't pass out from bleeding every month and be in great pain. I guess there is a silver lining to everything. Wish me luck and good health to all of you going through such a bad time but this is my second time and I know being patient and look forward and soon it will be over!
|