Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Short, Painful Headaches

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hi

i was just wondering whether anyone else has had these and what they did to cope with them.

I get these quick headaches. They last for anywhere between a split second and about 3 or 4 minutes but usually around the 5 to 10 second mark. They are usually around 7 or 8 on the 1-10 pain scale though i've definitely had some 10s. I get them around 50 times a day though since i've been counting my record is 92. I started getting them about a year ago but was only getting 1 or 2 a day. I've been seeing a neuro since november last year. I have so far tried beta-blockers, amiltriptyline (antidepressent), indomethacin (an anti-inflammatory) and am now on paradex (sorry don't know drug type, strong paracetamol I think) as preventatives, all with no ridding or slowing of the headaches. My neuro is talking about epilim next but isn't so keen because of my age (i'm 20). I've had ct scan, mri scan (both without contrast) and lumber puncture which (as far as I know) came back normal (don't fully know about mri).

I also have vision problems, with many floaters developing about february this year, and monocular double vision (i.E. I can cover one eye and still have double vision) developing about 3 months ago. About 3 times every couple of months I also get vision blackouts, where it feels like a curtain has been drawn across 1/2 of one eye. These started a couple of months after the headaches.

I was diagnosed with optic nerve head drusen in november this year but that's supposed to be a pretty much benign eye condition.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks for listening/reading

beks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 23rd, 2010
Headaches!!!
I have also been reseaving these painful headaches. They started about two years ago. I would get like three everyday until it slowed down to one every three days. I don''t know why this happens and I have had a brain scan like five years ago and nothing came up. I am seventeen years of age now. I don''t reacal having any eye problems but hopefuly I won''t have to. I hope something will help. Thanks for putting this on here. It does help some. <3 Mikey
|

replied January 26th, 2011
SHORT SHARP BRAIN PAINS
Well my bf has these sharp pain 5 second "brain explosions" he calls them. He doesnt have any insurance so he cant get checked out. He is 20 and has had them for some time now. He doesnt know what to do because he doesnt have insurance. He has them more and more. He sleeps too much and thinks he has this disorder because of that. But he never gets them in his sleep.
|

replied February 5th, 2012
Headaches
hi, i am 21. and i keep getting short sharp headache type things. i have mentioned it to a few people and they just shrugged it off. i was worried at first but there are loads of answers on the internet. xx
|

replied August 27th, 2012
sharp headache
I been having the same problem but so far mine been going on for a full day now it started off once every four days now it won't go away im scared because im only 20
|