Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Rapid Weight Gain?????

Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....
Anyone not on steroids experience rapid weight gain with no change in diet? I've gained 8 pounds since last week. My doc ran a thyroid panel and a glucose test today and is, as expected, sending me to see a new rheumagologist. He indicated that with an ana of 1:320, that something is going on, but seemed to be confused by that fact that none of my ena's were positive.

He said he'd leave it to the rheumy to run the c-complement panel, esr and the urinalysis. Has anyone here been diagnosed without having a positive ds-dna, sm or rnp?

Thanks,

lauren
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 6th, 2004
Up Another 2.5 Pounds
How could I have gained two-and-a-half pounds since yesterday?
Shocked
i'm not swollen, so I don't think it's water retention. I'm just beside myself. That's 10 pounds in just over 2 weeks. There's no way my caloric intake has doubled, even though I haven't been quite as careful with my food choices. I just do not get it and it's starting to become a bit frightening!

Has anyone had this happen????????
|

replied September 6th, 2004
Experienced User
Weight Gain
Before I was diagnosed I swelled up like a balloon and went from 128 to 135. Then when I was in hospital I went to 145.

After diagnosis and immediate treatment weight went back down to 125.

However, after 2 years of diagnosis I am back at 135-140 with drugs. Was on diuretic until about 6 months ago so retain lots of water.

I have a pretty steady diet and do not stray very far (no binging, etc). Low protein (around 6 oz) and starch is a love but exercise regularly so...

Just as confused!

Clarebear
|

replied September 9th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
I have no idea if this applies to you or not...But I do know of some lupus patients (especially with kidney involvement) that will retain water and it won't always be obvious...Like swollen ankles or wrists.

You might want to check with your doctor to make sure you aren't retaining water elsewhere...Just a thought!

Hugs,
ladyb
|

replied September 12th, 2004
Thanks...
How do they check that? I took a mild diuretic one night and went down by 2 pounds -- so i'm thinking it may, indeed, be fluid. My doc ran a tsh check, just to be sure it wasn't my thyroid -- it was fine at 1.8 and thyroid antibody test was negative and my glucose was 78 -- again, just perfect (thankfully, since type ii diabetes runs in the family).

I got my appointment with the rheumatologist -- but it's not until november 29th. That seems like way too long to wait to me. I did get on the cancellation list, so hopefully some time between now and thanksgiving, i'll have a few more answers. I just wish these insidious migraines would stop!!! I'm thinking of adding a neurologist to the mix it's getting so bad. Ugh!
|

replied September 15th, 2010
Rapid Weight gain, lupus related???
i was diagnosed with lupus end of 2007, I gained 25 lbs since april, 2010. i gained 12 lbs in the past month. Doctor says it could be the prednisone but i was in higher doses before and didn't gain this much weight. the most i weight with increase of prednisone was 135 and now i weight 162 lbs. my thyroid is over active which means i should be losing weight not gaining... please someone help? i didn't change my eating habits, well i did, i complitely cut junk food out but still gaining weight... not to mention i feel really sick but doctor says my lupus is undercontrol. i don't feel like its under control. i feel acky and tired every day and its hard to get up to go to work, but have to because my husband doesn't work... he stays home with my 8 month old son.
|

replied December 14th, 2011
Lupus and Rapid Weight gain - NO STEROIDS
I don't know if you found an answer but if you did - please post it - I am in the same position and just crazed about what to do.
|

replied December 19th, 2011
Lupus and weight gain
I don't know what to do I was diagnosed with Lupus 6 months ago since then I have gained over 30 pounds for no reason. I have lowered my caloric intake and started to exercise more often then I was. I'm already a diabetic so sweets are not a part of my diet. I am at a loss for what to do. I'm already at 200 lbs. I have never been this big in my life before and it bothers me that none of my clothes fit and I have to keep buying new bigger clothes to fit my ever growing body weight.
|

replied September 24th, 2012
lupus weight gain
Diagnosed with lupus 2 months ago. Not on steroids, or any drugs for that matter and i have gained 20 pds in the last 4 months. Taking herbal diuretics with not much change. I'm not a big fan of conventional med. Does anyone hav anysuggestions?
|

replied November 13th, 2012
I was diagnosed 1 year ago with Lupus SLE at the age of 41. I was exhibiting signs for a couple of years prior to diagnosis but it took that long for the lab work to confirm. My Dad, brother and now myself have lupus. Summer 2011 prior to getting sick I was cycling 70km every second day, playing competitive soccer, and felt awesome. I weighed 125lbs and lean. I was started on plaquenil in March. I developed Pericarditis this past summer with 5 days of Prednisone.
I am finally feeling more energetic.
I met with my Rheumatologist yesterday and I broke down in tears, because I have gained 40lbs over the past year. I eat clean, have started working out and Crossfit and the weight is not coming off.
I am really distressed and I am not sure what to do

Not Sure what to do
|

replied November 27th, 2012
Its discouraging because like you I was very active competing in local cycling races and then I had friends try and talk me into Lotoja and Ragnar and I never felt like I was up for either...I didn't know why I just knew I couldn't get a step up in my game and I kept going downhill. My ideal weight is also 125, I am now approaching 170 and it sucks and I don't even ride my bike anymore. I'm so discouraged not only from my weight but also missing out on the many activities that I used to love which all included being outdoors!! My husband and kids miss their mom. SLE can bite me!! Sorry...on my soapbox today.
|