Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

pneumonia after hiatal hernia surgery

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
My grandfather just had a surgery on some esophogeal hiatal hernia and is now in the icu because his heartbeat got too high and he also has a 5 cm aneurysm on his aorta that has to be repaired also (had to do the hernia operation first before the other, and not at the same time..). He now has pneumonia, is on a ventilator on a paralyzing drug and hasn't ate in 3 days.... Last night they gave insulin for a bs of 153...What ?'s do I need to ask and should I get up there???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 3rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Hi,mandy.Your grandfather is very sick right now.Is he diabetic or has his bloodsugar risen since the surgery?He is on a ventilator to help him breathe and the paralyzing agent is to prevent him from hurting himself by moving too much(he may not realize that he is doing it).He has been through a lot and will hopefully recover soon.I'm sure that he is on a lot of medications and that there are lots of tubes and wires and hoses around and in him.Be prepared for this if you go see him.He can still hear you and will probably not be able to respond.Tell him that you love him and are praying for him and will be there for him when he is better.Keep things light and positive.I hope he recovers soon.Good luck to you and your family.Patty
|

replied September 7th, 2004
Grandpa
I just got back from seeing him. He is not a diabetic btw.... Anyway... They got his bp stabilized at one point, but yesterday it started fluctuating again at about 260/94 Shocked .... He has 12 iv's, a ventilator, a tube feeding down his nose and a whole slew of others tubes and gadgets.... Anyway... I know he's bad off.... I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on any ?'s we might ask that we can't logically think of right now...Besides the ? I keep asking, which is how long are we a)can he last like this, and b) how long would we keep him like this...He's still in critical condition and all the doctor's keep saying is "he's not out of the woods yet",,,well no duh!,, if he was he wouldn't be in there still! Anyways, thanks for your reply Smile
|

replied September 10th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Unfortunately,there's no way for the docs to give you and your family any concrete answers right now.He may recover quite quickly or he may not .He could survive for quite some time as he is.It's never easy to see your loved ones so sick and you are powerless to help him.There's not much to say except wait and see.I hated hearing those words with my grandmother,but having been in healthcare for 23 years,that's the best that the docs can do.Pray for him and keep in touch with the hospital and ask the staff to let him know you called.They'll do that for you.I pray for his recovery.Patty
|