Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Forum

Hs Anyone Had Their Ears Pinned Back? (Page 1)

Last edited by sparklypixie12 on June 23rd, 2005 05:58 AM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper hollyx
|

replied November 7th, 2003
Ear Surgery (otoplasty): I've Had It!!!!
Hi pixie.

I've had the procedure (otoplasty) done twice.

It's done on an outpatient basis via day surgery.

The surgery itself is rather simple. It involves making one or two sutures in the back of the ear to form a crease that is missing in those of us born with this congenital anomaly (or congenital abnormality known as outstanding ears or bat ears).

You'll wear a huge bandage around your head for a week. This gives the sutures time to dissolve and keeps your ears pinned back.

With the bandage, you'll look like you've had brain surgery!!!

With the bandage, you'll only be able to sleep flat on your back.

I'm gonna warn you now, that your head will feel very heavy with that bandage around it.

You won't be able to wash your hair for a week.

When the bandage comes off only use baby shampoo on your hair for a while. Your ears will be sensitive to chemicals and varying temperatures so use lukewarm water to rinse. After a while you'll be able to use regular shampoo again.

Be careful after the bandage comes on when you wear glasses or sunglasses. Don't let the arms of the glasses press too hard on the back of your ears. That can cause the ear to pop out again. I had to have my right ear redone, because I wasn't too careful.

That's all I can tell you about the surgery.

If you have any questions, write back!!!

Good luck.

Jaime (aka dragonlady)
|

replied July 26th, 2004
Hey!?
Hey, iv jus read on the forum about u wantin 2 have ur ears pinned back I think u shud go 4 it I feel exactly the same I gt bullied through school, im goin 2 have my ears dun this monday.. Im goin into hospital on sunday, im rlli excited n I cnt wait till its all ova, it made me feel rlly depressed jus lukin at myself.. Iv rlli cheered up I think this has bin a major improvement in my life I cant wait til monday but im so nervous! I get out of hospital on wednesday so we'll see :) I hope u get ur op bcuz I think it wud juz b rlli nice... Xx
edit
|

replied October 27th, 2004
Just Had My Surgery 2 Weeks Ago Today!
I just had my surgery done 2 weeks ago and I am thrilled! I didn't have major protrusion but enough where if I had my hair in a ponytail, you would notice it. And they did 'pop' through my straight hair if I tilted the wrong way. I'm sure you understand what I mean! I had zero pain but did take the pain killers for the first 4 days after surgery. Very minor throbbing only when I woke on the 5th day. The head dressing is quite uncomfortable and you will only be able to sleep on your back for at least 2-3 weeks. I think sleeping is the only uncomfortable thing I had to go through, but I am a side sleeper so it was torture for me! Once that head dressing came off after 5 days I was back to 'normal'. My doctor had me wear a headband over my ears for 2 weeks after the dressing came off. I'm a girl so a stretchy cloth headband doesn't look anything out of the ordinary. I still need to wear it for about 4 more days. My ears are still a little sore and there is numbness on the tips of my ears but that is normal and feeling should return in a few months while the nerves heal or regenerate or something of that sort. I can also tell that there will be no major or even minor scarring on the backs of my ears. Lots of people have natural folds behind there anyways and thats actually what mine look like. For a precaution I will be using lotion with vitamin e though. I would defintely recommend this procedure if you always feel self conscious about them and can't imagine living the rest of your life trying to hide the ears. No cute hairstyles, no updos....That's how I felt. Make sure you are physically and mentally prepared though. Good luck!
|

replied July 6th, 2012
who did your surgery and where was it done
|

replied November 3rd, 2004
Cost??
Brewsterbear, how much did your procedure cost? I've been dying to get this procedure for years, but the money just hasn't lined up for me!
|

replied November 4th, 2004
Earth mother - the procedure cost me $3800. The only additional cost after that was purchasing the recommended vitamins that help with healing, probably about another $50 or so. Still healing nicely and feeling great :d
|

replied November 4th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
|

replied November 9th, 2004
What's this national health service thing about? You can get things like this done for free if they cause you enough distress?

Well, sign me up, baby! I'm distressed! I'm very distressed!
|

Extremely eHealthy
|

Hey

i'm 19 (and a guy) and have always been self-conscious about my ears. I've always been aware that you can get them pinned back. I've always just thought "accept them"...Or quietly wondered about getting them pinned back...But thinking at the same time that i'd never actually get it done.

I read somewhere that its only available to children on the nhs. How distressed do you need to be before you get it free? I am self-conscious about them, such as I refuse to have my hair short because it would just emphasise my ears so much. I never go to the swimming baths because I know that if I got my hair wet and my hair was flat to my head my ears would look so bad. I know I would feel so much better if I had it done...But i've not seriously ever thought I would get it done...But now i'm thinking well why not?
|

replied November 10th, 2004
Acrosstheuniverse - go for it! There's no reason you should live with something that makes you decidedly miserable. If you don't like something, change it.

Sparklypixie12 - is it only available in the uk? Rats! I'm american!
|

replied April 15th, 2005
Otoplasty Costs
In the philippines, otoplasty would cost only about $900 if done under local anesthesia and $1,200 if under intravenous sedation. We have many qualified and well-trained doctors who have acquired their postgraduate or fellowship training from well-known institutions in the u.S.A. And have been mentored by leading plastic surgeons so you wouldn't be sacrificing quality of care. Plus you'll have a great vacation. Everything is so inexpensive because of the exchange rate.
|

replied July 28th, 2005
Hi
Hi dizeeblond please let me know how it goes I am booked in for the op in a few of weeks :o
|

replied August 21st, 2005
Had Mine Done
Well I had mine done 3 days ago jus waiting til I can take the bandage off now i'm not in alot of pain and had general anesthetic so didn't feel a thing at the time.. Any questions jus ask :-)
|

replied February 11th, 2006
Ears Pinned Back At 10
Had mine done when I was 10.

Now they are long and thin and stuck to the side of my face.. I wish I had never had it done but i've grown to get used to them now...

Anyone heard of a similar result??
|

replied February 15th, 2006
Hey I hate my ears with a passion, im sick of always trying to hide them,
they are depress me I hate looking at pics of myself because the firts thing I see are my ears.
Im 17 and really want them pinned back it doesnt cost does it?
And im really scared of opeteration its not a dangerous operation is it?

X
|

replied February 16th, 2006
Ear Op
You might as well do it 'clairey fairy'. It's still free on the nhs I think and it is unlikely they'll come out like mine..

I'm 17 too and it's difficult having ears that are long and thin and stuck to the side of my face so think Dr.Pepper- 'whats the worst that could happen?' ...And how likely is it to happen..

Then think about getting it done.. And there's no point asking us- it's your choice!

(ps: go 4 it!!)
|

replied March 4th, 2006
Hey guys.

Im thinking about getting this surgery done.

For those who have had it done... How long does it take before people wont notice youve had the surgery? Cos im a little worried that if I had it done, and returned to work - I wouldnt look to great. So how long before people wont notice anything other than your ears petruding less?

Thanks alot
|

replied March 4th, 2006
How Long? Reply
As I wrote above, mine are still very noticeable 8 years or so on.. Think about the worst that could happen, you aren't guarenteed to look great..

My ears are now long and thin and do not look very human!!!
I'm hoping to have more 'corrective' done this year.. To sort them out.. I have decided I can't deal with them any 'longer'!!...

Good luck

jason buckinghamshire england 17.
|

replied May 4th, 2006
I had mine done in december on the nhs, I was always so self concious and hated meeting people in case they took the micky out of me and swimming was awful too as im sure you sticky out ear sufferers will know your ears show through badly then!!

I have to say having the op was a good decision it wasnt very painful and I didnt have to wear a bandage (different surgeons have different methods) I love them and it has improved my confidence wearing my hair up for the first time in years was great!

I definatly recommend it however it is a big decison and the result is not always good.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul