Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Stomach Pain :-\ Please Help.....

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Ok so, I get a strange pain in my stomach after eating certain foods.

For a while, I ate a lot of yogurt because it was always on sale. And then suddenly, I would get a pain in my stomach/side when I ate it, so I stopped. Also, whenever I eat steak now, my stomach hurts in the same place.

I went to one doctor and they said it's probably nothing and it should go away. The problem is, I havent eaten those foods in a while. The other day I had a taco with beef in, and guess what, my stomach hurt again. Now it seems like it hurts randomly (but really really really dull pain) after I eat other foods.

Does anyone know what this could be?

The pain is on my left side, I guess around where the stomach is but maybe even a little bit earlier. It kind of feels like a side stitch (from running).

Please, someone help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 28th, 2004
No one? No ideas or suggestions or anything?
|

replied August 29th, 2004
Stomach Pain
Hello ilovethebeach, I have the same problems.. I have ibs. And there are certain foods the gives me gas. I had to have hemmorid surgey 2yrs ago and now if I eat foods that are heavy, the sugery area swells and cause the gas build up in my colon.. Now that was my problem. And I still have left side bloating...Anyone else??
|

replied August 30th, 2004
I dont think its necessarily gas that I have. Because the pain doesnt go away when I go to the bathroom.

Anyone else?
|

replied September 3rd, 2004
Red meats
after either the gastric bypass, or the gastric banding, red meats are not well tolerated, and may cause vomiting. This is purely a mechanical effect – your stomach cannot tell steak from chicken, except that steak is much harder to break down so that it will fit through the small stomach outlet. If the outlet gets plugged, vomiting will result. We advise patients to avoid red meats until their stomach is functioning very well, usually after at least 3 – 4 months.

Sugar
refined sugars and candy consist of many small molecules, which tend to draw fluid into the intestine. After the gastric bypass (not after the gastric banding), a condition called "dumping syndrome" may occur, when sugar is taken on an empty stomach, passes rapidly through the stomach into the intestine, and draws a large amount of fluid into the bowel. The physiology is complicated, but the result is a condition like shock: one turns ghostly pale, breaks out in a profuse sweat, feels butterflies in the stomach, a rapid pulse, and a feeling of prostration. Nause and vomiting, cramps and diarrhea may follow. Most people who have this reaction never try to sneak another candy bar – and we think that’s not such a bad effect, if you’re trying to lose weight.

The problem of dumping is avoided by avoiding sweets, candies, and fruit juices on an empty stomach. Certain dressings, barbecue sauce and mayonnaise may also cause problems, and need to be avoided.

Milk and milk sugar
to digest milk sugar (lactose), our bodies need and enzyme called lactase, which is often in short supply in the lower small intestine. After gastric bypass (not after gastric banding), milk and milk products may not be fully digested. Farther downstream, they are fermented by bacteria, and this causes gas, cramps and diarrhea.

Milk can be treated, to make it tolerable. In the big picture, it’s probably better to avoid it. Many prepared foods (those that come in a box, or frozen entrees) contain milk sugar as an additive. It is important to learn to be a label-reader, or to avoid packaged foods, and especially junk food.
|

replied September 7th, 2004
I have no problem with milk or ice cream, it's just yogurt and cottage cheese. And steak.
|

replied September 10th, 2004
Pain On Left Side
I had surgery on 6/21/04 and have had some complications. In the first month I did great with fluids, and moved on to cream soups, cream of wheat, oatmeal,etc. I have been eating vegetables cooked or made in soups for about 1 month and 2 weeks and fruits (peaches or plums). I had some vomiting and was given an egd again back in august. My doctor advised me of some swelling and scar tissue he had to clip in order for me to keep food down. After a week I had no problem eating these soft foods. But I have had a pain on my left side for as long as I have eaten soft vegetables. I have had x-rays and a ct even admitted last week for dehydration. But no one can tell me what my pain is. I get it every other day and the day in between I get severe stabbing pains on my left side right close to bottom of my rib cage. The pain is so severe I clinch onto my side and cry. The doctor still can not tell me what it is and I was suppose to return to work on 8/23/04, but because I still have this pain and no one can tell me what it is, and if I do not feel 100%. I want to know what my pain is. He thinks it could be some adhesions in the intestine or stomach. But I tell him the pain is not in my stomach, it is on my left side. Anyone out there who can give me some information also or what I need to do. My doctor's answer lately is your doing so good you've lost 46 lbs and I can't enjoy this do to feeling ill. Desperately seeking an answer. Liz, garland,tx
|

replied April 21st, 2010
ilovethebeach, look into an inablity to digest certain protiens, fats, or other nutrients. This is genetic, but can rise up later in life and cause similar symptoms.
|