Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Low Platelet Count, Trouble Breathing

Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....
My name is judy, I am 50 years on and have had lupus for 14 years. It has been a up and down disease, going into my kidneys, joints, lungs, etc. I have the best doctor in the world and she has saved my life more that once. Because of the medication I have taken through out the years I have had two hip replacements, and some other minor health problems. Now my blood platelet is running between 18,000 and 27,000. They upped the predisone to 70 ml for a month with little or no change, then sent me to a hematogolist, he gave me 4 doses of gamagoblins which brought the count up to 36,000 for a couple on weeks, but it is now down to 18,000. They have decided to take out the spleen. But since all of this have been going on I am having shortness of breath. I walk a small way and I am totally out of breathe. Could this me caused because of the low platelet count? I have been coming down slowly on the predisone and am at 20 ml now. Thank you for your time judy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 25th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Yes,your low platlets could cause this.Your blood carries oxygen,if your platlets are low,there is less blood volume,therefore,less oxygen, that can result in shortness of breath.All the steriods can also affect your blood counts.Have you mentioned the shortness of breath to your doc??This is important ,your doc needs to know this!Good luck to you!Patty
|

replied February 26th, 2009
Low platelets now 11000
I m ritesh one of my friend having low platelets upto 10000 his platelets are not coming up though he is taking steroids and also tranfused pto know platelets twice need help to know what might be the reson for platelets not increasing .He also has Harnia and doctors are not operating due to low platelets ,Please help to suggest best doctor for increasing platelets ,He also had done bonemarrow but his marrow was normal...pls suggest is there something which is dangerous pls help he is suffering from last 4 months.
|

replied March 20th, 2009
low platelets
I'm 29 yrs old when i have low platelets, their is no any cause i only know when i removed my IUD in my ovaries that's the time i find out that my platelets get low, because of IUD i don't know if cause of internal haemorrhage. But until now 1 1/2 years taking of predisone & immuran their no any changes why my blood platelets are still low. Every month i have check up with the doctor, i don't know what is the real cause of my blood, do i need go for blood transfusion because my blood before is 2500 and now 8900. Please help me because i'm tired suffering of these matter.

thank you and regards
|