Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Low Functioning Gallbladder - Help! (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I was just dianosed with biliary dyskinesia, may gallbladder is only functioning at 20%. I have chronic nausea, indigestion, and ruq discomfort, whether I eat or not. Does anyone know of any alternatives to surgery? Does anyone else have this condition, what are you symptoms and what do you do to fix it?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper AngelaLynnF
|

replied August 30th, 2004
Re: Low Functioning Gallbladder - Help!
hmdoyle00 wrote:
i was just dianosed with biliary dyskinesia, may gallbladder is only functioning at 20%. I have chronic nausea, indigestion, and ruq discomfort, whether I eat or not. Does anyone know of any alternatives to surgery? Does anyone else have this condition, what are you symptoms and what do you do to fix it?
|

replied August 30th, 2004
hmdoyle00 wrote:
i was just dianosed with biliary dyskinesia, may gallbladder is only functioning at 20%. I have chronic nausea, indigestion, and ruq discomfort, whether I eat or not. Does anyone know of any alternatives to surgery? Does anyone else have this condition, what are you symptoms and what do you do to fix it?
|

replied July 6th, 2005
Gall Bladder Disease
I also have low functioning gall bladder does this indigestion move around your stomache
|

replied July 6th, 2005
:d :) :( :o :?:
|

replied November 20th, 2005
Anonymous
Hi
Hello, I feel your pain. Mine was a 17.2% and I feel like acid is rolling and popping in my tummy all the time. I especially get it at night. My recommendation is to get some choline 500mg and take it earlty morning. I would also get on a ppi like acidphex or protonix for a couple of months and see what happens. Change your diet to low fat too. This condition can be managed and it may be that you have other consitions undiscovered going on in your body. Try and see how this works
|

replied November 20th, 2005
hmdoyle00 wrote:

i was just diaganosed with this recently after man months fo tests and agony, I was down to eating toast and chicken breast and only water to drink, even that made me nauseaus and have lots of gas and just tummy rollings..
I had my gallbladder our 10 days ago and I feel sooooo much better, I had a bit of gas tonight but I tried eating onions and peppers and beans, so really my own fault..

The surgery itself was so easy, I was so scared and thought I would be so sick and sore, well I was home the same day and needed help getting out of bed the first day and a little the next, I would have done it if I had to, but after the second day I stopped all pain meds and started eating more foods, and it scared me to try food again let me tell you, but so far so good... They said the tube going into my gallbladder so was narrow that what was causing my problems...
I am pretty much back to normal activities, just a bit slower now.. The top inscision is still a bit sore but wow what a diffrence..
|

replied January 1st, 2006
Anonymous
Gallbladder
Had 12 percent on hida had gallbladder out still hurting gas and chest pain
|

replied January 2nd, 2006
Some people believe in doing a liver flush to remove stones.
|

replied January 3rd, 2006
My gallbladder is functioning at 21% and I want it out. I have two small stones (not blocking anything)and pain. Already went to er once, but my internist says this is not bad enough to remove. She also said to eat a steady amount of fat as all of my problems began because I lowered my fat intake. My problem is that I need to lose weight. My caloric intake has been from 1500-1200 for a long while now and I never lost weight until I lowered my fat intake from 30% daily to 20% daily. I lost 15 pounds and since then I have had all of these problems. I raised my fat intake to 25% and now have stopped losing weight. How do you get them to remove your gallbladder?
|

anonymous wrote:
my gallbladder is functioning at 21% and I want it out. I have two small stones (not blocking anything)and pain. Already went to er once, but my internist says this is not bad enough to remove. She also said to eat a steady amount of fat as all of my problems began because I lowered my fat intake. My problem is that I need to lose weight. My caloric intake has been from 1500-1200 for a long while now and I never lost weight until I lowered my fat intake from 30% daily to 20% daily. I lost 15 pounds and since then I have had all of these problems. I raised my fat intake to 25% and now have stopped losing weight. How do you get them to remove your gallbladder?

you should go to another doctor. When your gallbladder is not functioning properly, you should not be eating fat. That is why you are having pain. Also, with a hida scan of 21%, stones, and pain, you are a candidate for gallbladder removal. Go to another doctor and get a second opinion.
|

You really should seek another opinion. My gallbladder is functioning at 32% and I have pain from hell, the surgeon will be removing it on the 25th...Finally! 9 months of dealing with this b/s I cant wait till its out...Good luck
|

replied January 4th, 2006
Thanks, actually after I left my message here.. I called the gastrointesinal Dr. Who originally said that there was nothing wrong with my gallbladder and didn't think I needed tests. It was my primary who had the scan done. Sooo, the gastro guy felt really dumb when I told him the results.. Hence, monday I have an appointment with the surgeon.

Thanks for your responses
ta
|

replied January 4th, 2006
Anonymous
21% Person
Hi, I am not sure why they don't remove it. I think if it is causing you pain you ahould have it out.
|

replied January 10th, 2006
Re: 21% Person
Jan 25th they are removing my gallbladder. After hearing from you guys I pushed it with my gastrointerologist and he sent me to the surgeon. And he scheduled it. I am somewhat scared. But glad
ta
|

replied January 10th, 2006
I said:

"with a hida scan of 21%, stones, and pain, you are a candidate for gallbladder removal."

i should have added: mention the "m" word to your doctor.

Lol
|

replied February 14th, 2006
So they removed my gallbladder and I feel great. There were no horror stories as I heard from others. The night before surgery-i ate a very light dinner and didn't eat past that. Even though the surgeon said that I could eat till midnight. Surgery was at 9am. After surgery, I felt nausious and in recovery I asked them for the shot that stops that. They gave it to me... I fell back to sleep. I woke up in my own room. I was suppose to wait for the nurse to help me out of bed to go to the bathroom (number 1) and she took too long --( I had to go bad) so, I got out of bed went by myself and back to bed. Fell asleep. My sister came at 5pm to see if I was ready to go home. The oncall Dr. Told me to walk so he can see how I do. I walked around the floor three times. And home I went. For about four days, I felt soar. Hard to get in and out of bed and chair, but everyday got better. I kept eating very very light -saltine crackers (with the salt to keep my electrolights up) hot and cold tea. On the second day I ate a scrambled egg with crackers. By the fourth day, I moved to salmon without butter or fat on it. I feel great now and still maintain a low fat diet. Somethings definitely affect my stomach, but I monitor it. I feel great that I had it done.

Couple of things to know: my stitches were dissolveable. Definitely request them. They fall out when the skin heals and you heal quick. Eat little meals at a time and low fat. Try stuff gradually. Sometimes food like chocolate doesn't affect me till the next day. Could be a problem if a bathroom is not at hand. I am losing the weight that I need to and I feel great. Hope you do to.
Tara
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I found out after my galbladder was out that I was unable to eat a lot of spicy, acidy foods and fatty foods but we are all different.
Good luck to all!
|

replied January 3rd, 2008
Relieved/frustrated
My wife has been having problems for nearly four years. Her primary physician did the appropriate studies early on. Evidentally he misread something though. Her gallbladder funtion is at ~20%. She has been dealing with this for almost FOUR YEARS! A PA in the same office decided to look over her records because she (the PA) was not familiar with my wife's case. She noticed this within five minutes of looking at records. She is now scheduled for another test since the last one was so long ago. Assuming the funcitoning hasn't improved she will be going to surgery. The primary had been calling it cholitis and treating her for that. Early on he r/o gall bladder problems. Anybody have any similar situations? Are there any problems that could occur from this going untreated for so long? We're just happy we finally have an answer. She's been miserable for the last four years and now sees "a light at the end of the tunnel."
|

replied March 19th, 2008
HELP!
How is your wife doing? I was just diagnosed with a low functioning gb - 16%. It went undiagnosed for quite some time. I was told it was IB and acid reflux. I went to a GI and he diagnosed it right away. I was just diagnosed the other day. I am changing my diet to see if I get relief. I went through 6 days of intense nausea, ab discomfort , gas and bowel movements. The nausea has gotten better but I still have discomfort in my abdomen....in many different areas. Nighttime is the hardest for me. For those of you that had your gb removed, do you pass food through your body very quickly now? This is my fear. THANKS!
|