Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Why Eating Healthy Is So Hard...

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
Forgive me - this isn't a question, it's a rant Laughing

My health class had a huge discussion about healthy eating habits this past school year, and while I wasn't outside of the local mcdonalds picketing and screaming, it got me thinking, not about my own diet, but about how this society has made people think that the doritos and mountain dew diet is the norm.

Yes, obesity is a growing epidemic in this country. Why? Because america is the biggest producer of junk food in the world. You can go to the supermarket and there will be an aisle dedicated solely to potato chips and soda. Restaurants make it a point to serve huge portions. Fast food, which has hundreds upon hundreds of calories in a small amount, can be super-sized. A person probably gets their complete daily requirement of calories, fat, sodium, cholesterol, and saturated fat in a super sized order of mcdonald's french fries.

Here's why so few people want to eat healthy:

1) health food can be very expensive; they wouldn't make a special store separate from the supermarket for it if it was as cheap. Some people who want to lose weight i'm sure are not rolling in the dough, and they figure it's easier to spend $2.50 on a bag of chips than it is to spend $xx on whole bran cereal and soy milk.

2) most health food doesn't suit the tastes of some people...In other words, it more or less can taste like crap. Going with the first reason, why would someone spend so much cash on something that tastes like cardboard when they could spend but five dollars and buy themselves a bag of chips and a 2-liter of soda?

I'm sorry, but just thinking about this country's obesity epidemic and the way businesses and producers take advantage of it makes me sick. Companies like wise and little debbie and such are probably having a field day because they will sell more of their product as a result of the population's obesity. While some people try to take control, some just can't and they indulge. And when a diet doesn't yield any results, the person will binge eat out of depression and will feel worse in the end.

In my opinion, the situation needs a good smack and should be turned around - health food should be made cheaper (perhaps a little better tasting), while junk food and fast food should be made more expensive. This could persuade people to eat healthy and avoid the bad stuff.

Now am I saying that eating health food is the only way to be healthy? Haha, that is the impression I have given. But no, you don't need to solely eat plain yogurt and carrot sticks to be healthy. A simple cutting back and a change in diet can make the biggest difference in a person's life.

I apologize for all this mess - I just wanted to rant my guts out ^-^

Scaredbaka - sure ain't no skinny minny!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 29th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Healthy food is less convenient. I mean, they don't have fast-health food. Yes, mcdonald's and such have salads but they put so much crap on them that you may as well eat a darn bigmac.
A lot of it comes down to america's laziness. And yes, I can say that because I am american! (no, we are not all lazy, but majority rules) everything is all about convenience instead of taking the extra freakin minute to take care of ourselves. It makes me sick
especially when I see overweight children. There is no, and I mean no, excuse for it! If you want to eat crap and become obese and put your health in danger then fine, but take care of your kids!

Plus, we have created so much yummy food that is terrible for you and made it the "norm" craziness.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Both of you are right.It does take a little thought and planning to eat correctly.I'm not a total health nut,but,i have learned a few things.If you don't but junk food,you won't eat it!I will only buy snack foods like chips and stuff like that for a party or i'll buy the smallest size possible.That way,when it's gone,it's gone.I cut fruit and veggies up whem I get them home.If they are ready,i will eat them,if not they don't get eaten.Light sour cream is not much different in taste than regular.Learn what a portion is supposed to be.What we are served in a restraunt is really enough for 2-3 meals.Have half of your meal packed up to go before it gets to the table.I might still be hungry,but too self-concious to start digging through the container.It takes 20 minutes for your brain and stomach to register fullness.Stop before you are bursting ,in 20 minutes,you will be miserable.Don't be embarassed to ask for something broiled or grilled instead of fried or sauteed.It never hurts to ask if you can substitute baked for fried potato.Don't get me wrong,i still pig out,just not all the time.My family is from the south,they can fry anything and cover it in gravy!I try to save my pig-outs for the weekend or vacations and get back on track during the week.Sometimes it works,but if I really want something,i have it.I don't think any food is totally bad for you.Everything in moderation.Patty
|

Extremely eHealthy
Oh, that is a good idea with the fruit! I always buy it and then throw it away after it is rotten. It is just so sticky and messy that I keep putting off cutting it up. I really don't even like potato chips. Once in a blue moon I will get them, but even then I may eat 1-2 servings and then someone else here eats them all. It works out for me!

They need to start having vending machines with fruit/veggies/and nice deli sandwiches!Lol. Then we could all eat healthy on the go!

I know some people who do eat as healthy as possible during the week and then have one weekend day to "splurge" if you will. No, not binge or overstuff themselves, but just to eat out or order pizza if they want to. They are all really darn skinny and healthy looking so I guess it works!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Okay this is a true story and I never get tired of telling it.One day I came home from work and found my husband and stepson sitting at the kitchen table with a watermelon between them.They were tapping on it and commenting on how good it would be to eat it.It was like watching a couple of neanderthals!I said to them if they cut it up,they might find out how good it was.You would have thought I said it to them in swahili!They just looked at me like I had three heads.If I don't cut it up,it does not get eaten!Okay,you had to have been there.I just think that its funny.They eat the fruit or veggies if they are cut,if not,they turn into science projects!Patty
|

replied August 31st, 2004
Experienced User
My boyfriend refuses to even touch fruit. One day I tried for three hours to get him to taste a little scrap of a kiwi, but he still refused. He said it looked too much like a testicle x) x)

but I agree with hotasfrick - if they served fruits, vegetables, healthy snacks, etc. In vending machines instead of cookies and candy bars, people might start to forget about junk food.

I admit I like junk food...Once I get my hands on doritos, there's no stopping me! But I tend to shy away from candy bars and holiday chocolates. Once in a while i'll have fast food or pizza, but not all the time. I usually indulge at home in a salad or semi-healthy cereal.

Four years ago, I weighed 204 pounds...Now I weigh 127. You know why I was so huge in 8th grade? This is why: my school served fast food for lunch every day. That's right - they never made their own food. They would order from mcdonalds, kfc, taco bell, and pizza hut. Every week it was the same stuff to pick from. And then they served extra bags of chips and ice cream, and had the occasional bake sale. I usually ordered 3 times a week...Some kids ordered every day!! It's sick! It's like that school is trying to send kids to an early grave. This school, mind you was a k-8 school...And getting mcdonalds food for school lunch is probably every little kid's dream come true.

Thankfully I lost most of that mess I gained when I was younger. I went to that school for 9 years...So all that fast food got to me. Now if perhaps if the school hired some lunch ladies that could make salads and what-not, some kids might be persuaded to eat a little healthier. But nooooo...They would rather watch these kids become overweight. *sigh*

and it was a catholic school too...Such sins they commit!

Scaredbaka - now knows the value of a good ol' salad
|

replied October 31st, 2004
Good Food
It comes down to convenience, doesn't it? We are all so busy, running from a to b and not much time to shop, peel, chop, cook, and savour our food.
I work from home but still am a bit lazy to go shop for food. I prefer to have a small vegie garden where I know it is organic and can pick at my leisure. Gardens don't require much attention.

One thing is certain, the us is lacking in nutrition with 65% of the population being overweight and malnourished!
|

replied October 31st, 2004
Good Food
It comes down to convenience, doesn't it? We are all so busy, running from a to b and not much time to shop, peel, chop, cook, and savour our food.
I work from home but still am a bit lazy to go shop for food. I prefer to have a small vegie garden where I know it is organic and can pick at my leisure. Gardens don't require much attention.

One thing is certain, the us is lacking in nutrition with 65% of the population being overweight and malnourished!
|

replied January 30th, 2005
Experienced User
You notice the overweightness in america. Everytime I go there I can't help but to feel good about myself. Lol... However, I think another issue is portions! When you go to a restaurant there they load the food on you... An unhealthy amount. You should never eat to the point where you feel "stuffed"... And that's what the meals are like there. Personally, I eat like an animal.. (i'm a 223 / 6'2" bodybuilder.. Can ya blame me?) so I love it... But to the average person, all those extra calories packed into single meals is just asking for obesity.

As for convenience, there are lots of convenient healthy places to eat too... Sub places.. Wrap places... Greek take-out restaurants... Even if you go to mcdonalds, it doesn't take a lot to ask for "no seasonings", and "no sauce" on the burger, and "no salt" on the fries. Also doesn't hurt to ask to double the tomato, add some pickes or whatever other vegetables tickle your fancy. Mcd burgers aren't all that unhealthy once you take the sauce, loads of salt and seasoning off... And actually tastes good.

Of course, fruits, veggies, chicken, tuna, wholewheat breads and rice, etc. Are still the best way to go. :)
|

replied January 30th, 2005
Experienced User
You notice the overweightness in america. Everytime I go there I can't help but to feel good about myself. Lol... However, I think another issue is portions! When you go to a restaurant there they load the food on you... An unhealthy amount. You should never eat to the point where you feel "stuffed"... And that's what the meals are like there. Personally, I eat like an animal.. (i'm a 223 / 6'2" bodybuilder.. Can ya blame me?) so I love it... But to the average person, all those extra calories packed into single meals is just asking for obesity.

As for convenience, there are lots of convenient healthy places to eat too... Sub places.. Wrap places... Greek take-out restaurants... Even if you go to mcdonalds, it doesn't take a lot to ask for "no seasonings", and "no sauce" on the burger, and "no salt" on the fries. Also doesn't hurt to ask to double the tomato, add some pickes or whatever other vegetables tickle your fancy. Mcd burgers aren't all that unhealthy once you take the sauce, loads of salt and seasoning off... And actually tastes good.

Of course, fruits, veggies, chicken, tuna, wholewheat breads and rice, etc. Are still the best way to go. :)
|

replied February 5th, 2005
Fat Tax!
It is hard to eat healthy sometimes,as you say there is alot of yummy things on offer.I find that if I do eat to much of these things even though it fills me up it doesnt really do much for my energy levels.I feel kind of sluggish and heavy.Im overweight not massively but enough to feel unfit.I remember a couple of years ago I heard on the news that they were thinking about bringing out a tax on fatty foods(bit extreme!),the goverment did a survey on people in the street and it was 50 50.There are some people out there who dont really care about their health or weight,but the other half want to lose weight but cant afford the healthy stuff ie:fresh fish, chicken,tofu, soya products.Its cheaper to buy a pound of mince to feed the family than it is to feed them on salmon and vegetables every night.So I am eating healthy at the moment mainly chicken and lots of veg,not too many potatoes or bready products.I have a treat once a week(takeaway) and im exercising aswell which is gonna help.Ive found that you do just have to rearrange your thinking and eating habits,not dieting just eating healthy.
|

replied August 31st, 2012
Benifits of fish oil
Fish oil is good as anti-inflammatory. There's a whole bunch of other sstuff on page 156 of OG, but rest, self-massage and ice are what your focus should be on.Also stretching agonists and strengthening antagonists.

|

replied August 4th, 2013
Obesity and eating healthy
There is a huge obesity epidemic in this country. And being one of those I know first hand how challenging it is to live in this country and not be obese! It is about choices, and it sucks that the easy choices are the unhealthy ones (Whether it be due to money or convenience) However, I have started taking control of my own life, and feeling healthier everyday. It's a choice I make every second of every day. It is HARD, but it is worth it. I have started a recipe blog that has easy fast healthy and Delicious recipes for people looking to improve their own eating habits.
|