Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Weird Swelling(?) In Lower Back? (Page 1)

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
The past two days or so i've noticed where the small of my back usually slopes inward, it is puffy or sort of swelling a little outward. It doesn't feel any more painful than normal (though my entire back always hurts to begin with so its hard to tell.) though it feels a little number than the rest of my back. Does anyone know what caused this or what it even is? Sorry my description is rather vague, it was hard to explain as I don't even know what it is. Confused
Thanks
h.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile mz_sweet_susie
|

replied June 6th, 2008
lower back swelling
I have very bad lower back pain and swelling. It usually hurts around my period and now its starting to hurt any time.
|

User Profile
replied April 27th, 2009
Swelling of the lower back
I think I may have the same problem as you. It is the area right above my tailbone and its in the center of that area. Its rather puffy and swollen unlike the rest of my back. there is my love handles and then a dip down and then its the swollen part on my back. I am unsure what it is.. let me knw if its the same kind of thing..
|

replied June 7th, 2009
I have extremely severe back pain that comes in episodes for a few days to a week long, and its every few months. Its above my tailbone where a bump is on each side, and it swells up when it starts to hurt. Its painful to the touch and sometimes it feels like when I move that my cartilage is gone and my bones are rubbing together? Other times it feels as if its pinching my siatic and radiating down my leg and I cant walk, other times it feels like my bone is slicing through my body. This has been going on since 2005 and Ive had many many MRIs, x-rays, etc.

I cant give up because Im taking painkillers like vitamins with my coffee in the morning because the doctors dont know what else to do.. I cant live like this! If anyone has something similar please let me know!
|

replied October 15th, 2011
bulging disk
what u guys are going through is a bulging disk, i have the same symptoms i got hurt back in high school. Just a few days ago my back started to swell up and now having extreme back pain that runs down my leg any way the only way to fix a bulging disk is surgery which is usually for people over weight what i have done to relive the pain is get steroid shots that have taken the pain for about a month or so.
|
Users who thank jorgeantonio289 for this post: yayaknows 

replied December 12th, 2011
omg i had a baby in september two weeks later i was rushed back to the hospital the middle of my back was swollen i had a fever etc...i could barely handle the mri i was in so much pain..the cat scan showed that i had two bulging disc..but the docs never told me i had to look at my chart myself..however they claim the mri showed nothing..and it was just a uti..but here i am with the same pain and swelling above my tailbone.im gonna sue these mfs!
|

replied June 26th, 2009
Sacroiliac Joint Pain
I have the same thing. It's my sacroiliac joint. An orthopedist sent me to see a physical therapist. I've only gone to therapy 2 times so far and the pain has significantly decreased although I am still inflammed. I use a cold compress every couple of hours for about 15 mins and I am also appyling Biofreeze when it's painful. THe therapist also gave me a number of exercises to do to strengthen the muslces. Best one is lie flat on your back and squeeze your butt cheeks together. It gets things moving back to where they belong and really helps.
|

replied January 21st, 2010
weird back swelling
hebetude,

I have the same thing tonight--exactly your symptoms--weird swelling where my back usually slopes inward and no pain to speak of, though a little numbness. Did you ever find out what you had?

Thanks.
|

replied March 30th, 2010
yep i have the same thing like when im sat down for a few mins my left lower back goes numb slight pain. plus its swelled at both sides cud be polysystic kidney diesease
|

replied January 7th, 2011
Lower back swelling
I have the same thing. I never noticed it from before. I just got back into working out the other day and my boyfriend was taking my before picture for my diet profile and thats when i noticed it. He seems to think it was from me running on my first day back in the gym. It doesnt hurt or even really bother me......well now it does since i know its there. If anyone knows what the heck it is.....please fill me in!
|

replied March 11th, 2011
Swelling in the back can have many causes. It could be caused by unstable joints, injured soft tissues such as muscle, tendons or ligaments, or it could be related to other, more serious problems. That's why it's always best to be checked out by your doctor! Ice packs can be helpful in bringing swelling down as can the appropriate types of movement or exercise.
|

replied June 18th, 2011
Switching Up
The middle of my back has been soar for 6 to 8 days now. I feel it when I bend down or stretch. I don't notice it when I walk or light activity. I push on the spine and it feels bruised and the surrounding area feels even more bruised. I switched birth control pills and it started after that and along with mid menstrual cycle bleeding. I was on another pill for 3 years or 4 years. Body didn't like the change of pills, I guess. I hope these symptoms go away after my body gets used to the new pills.
|

replied June 18th, 2011
Switching Up
The middle of my back has been soar for 6 to 8 days now. I feel it when I bend down or stretch. I don't notice it when I walk or do any light activity. I push on the center of my spine and it feels bruised and the surrounding area feels even more bruised. I switched birth control pills two Sundays ago and it started after that and along with mid menstrual cycle bleeding. I was on another pill for 3 years or 4 years. Body didn't like the change of pills, I guess. I hope these symptoms go away after my body gets used to the new pills. I am 45 and I wish I didn't need to take pills anymore.
|

replied March 1st, 2012
what kind of birth control were you using
|

replied October 1st, 2012
I have the same thing. Mine has been on my lower back for about 3 years now. I had a normal XRAY, although it cant be normal. I am 110 lbs and you can obviously see it is a swelling or knot or cyst of some kind. Anyone get a diagnosis??
|

replied October 11th, 2012
lower back pain with swelling
I have the same thing with just about everyone on here and come to say I have three dried disks and damaged nerves. Still seeing a back doc and a all over pian doc due to that I also have a torn hip that I didn't know I had that also causes back pain. I have done the theropy and doesn't help.... maybe getting a hip surgery for my hip and also helping my back. Good luck everyone and the women that get the pain durring that time of month I feel ya cause when I do, I feel like I'm in labor all over again.
|

replied October 15th, 2012
Re: lower back swelling
ehernandez wrote:
I have very bad lower back pain and swelling. It usually hurts around my period and now its starting to hurt any time.

Usually back pain is like hell. Its like curse of god. So avoid it. As soon as Consult your doctor.
|

replied October 22nd, 2012
lower back pain
my g/f is having similar issues with her lower back by her tailbone. It swells and gets puffy. kinda looks like an egg. she is always in alot of pain and her doctor told her it is muscles spasms wrapped around her tailbone but i don't understand how thats possible. she recently had a hysterectomy because she had cervicle cancer. The problem didn't happen until about a week after the surgery. so were kinda scared it could possibly be cancer again. Has anybody found out what it could be?
|

replied December 16th, 2012
lower back pain
hi, i had a spinal tap done in early september followed by a epidural blood patch. since then i have had swelling that appears quit often in my lower back. the swelling is where the back indents right above the tail bone area. when it swells it is painful and i get sharp pains throughout my lower back. im finding it hard to be on my feet for lengthly periods of time and certain ways i sit or lay down will also affect it.
should i be concerned? and what could this be?
|

hi, i had a spinal tap done in early september followed by a epidural blood patch. since then i have had swelling that appears quit often in my lower back. the swelling is where the back indents right above the tail bone area. when it swells it is painful and i get sharp pains throughout my lower back. im finding it hard to be on my feet for lengthly periods of time and certain ways i sit or lay down will also affect it.
|

|

replied June 29th, 2013
did anyone get an answer?!?
Im having these exact problems it feels like my bowels or somthing are going to fall out of my lower back! DID ANYONE GET AN ANSWER SINCE LAST YEAR??
Thankyou
|

replied August 7th, 2013
I have a swollen area on the lower left side of my back and the doctors said that i was alright but i know that any normal person would not have that and my pain is like tidle wave how they come in series and they hit really hard. ps this might sound really weird but dont you notice these people are from the ages of 16-mabey 40 no elders and no one younger that 16 if you can please help me research
|
12 >>