Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Pins In My Femur..

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I am new here. Hello.
I was looking for more info. On having the pins removed. Due to recent mri/ct scans I found the tips of the pins are only 1-2 mm from end of femur head. Can anyone tell me if this is normal, your placement depth?
This is under a 1/6 of an inch!!! Is this normal??
I read on one of the older threads, that it can take up to 3 years for the bone to fill in???? What???? I am reeling at my choices here. Head of bone is showing minimal necrosis, good. So wanted pins out to prevent them from breaking thru head due to placement, but up to three years to heal? We have a ranch, I train horses, (deal with pain), can you imagine the ortho. Not telling me how close the ends of the screws are? Sorry, a bit scared. Only found this out a week ago. Can you all give any input.
Are any of your pins this close to the end of the bone?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 5th, 2005
I had a pin and plate fitted to my femur when I was 20. The pin went a long way into the head (just short of the joint) of the femur and was attached to a 10" plate along the shaft of the femur.

The hardware was removed after 2 years and I was put on crutches for two weeks with the warning that it was possible to refracture the bone at one of the screw positions until the screw holes had filled in, no comment was made about the large diameter long hole left by the pin.

After two weeks I carried on as normal with no problems, although my age probably meant a quick healing time.

I would think that healing time after hardware removal would be similiar to the previous fracture healing.

It's probably best not to play football etc. For at least 2 to 3 months.
|

replied August 10th, 2010
Hip with a pin in it for a long time
I have had a pin my hip since I was about 14 or 15 now I am 33 and have gained quite a bit of weight, what should I do I can definitely feel the difference now opposed when I was younger and weighed less
|
Tags: bone, mri, head, mri scans
Quick Reply