Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Help.. a Shadow On the Chest X'ray..?? (Page 1)

Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
My father has copd and was has a real bad case of bronchitis.. He went to the Dr. And got a chest xray that the tecnician said he saw a shadow.. What does that mean??? He went for a ct scan today? Is it defintitly cancer? What else could it be? And if it is cancer, canthey operate on a tumor in a lung with copd?

I'm dying for answers, I couldnt stand to loose my father.

Crying or Very sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Andy1234567
|

replied September 23rd, 2004
Experienced User
Me 2
Im in the same boat as you my mom had broncitis and they called her back and found something in her lungs to they are waiting 3 weeks to see if it clears up she has been a smoker for 30 years im so worried that she has cancer and I to could not loose my mother im so close to her I guess im trying to be strong until I forsure know something im sorrry for you to if you ever want to talk I am here. Crying or Very sad
|

replied September 28th, 2004
Hello

i would not worry too much for now. Having a shadow means just having an area that may be something like a pneumonia, called an infiltrate. If the doctors say something that looks suspicious they might want to take a ct scan of the chest, or they may elect to wait for an infection like bronchitis to heal and repeat the chest x-ray.

Regards,
lf
|

replied November 11th, 2004
Hi

anyone with a smoking history of 30 years with an abnormal x-ray is a candidate for a lung ct.

That being said, not all lung cancer is terminal, and not all things found on ct are cancer.

All you can do is wait for the results, i'm sorry to say. But be aggressive, and make sure they are being treated properly, and that diagnostic testing is being done.
|

replied February 14th, 2008
hi all
Hi guys,
im new,
ok, My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer back in 2002, given only 6-12 months, he underwent 2 bouts of radio because the cancer was too close to his heart (near his wind pipe) that helped.
He was put forward for a trial in which they freeze the area and cut out what they can get too, anyway after several operations they said they could no more, and the magority had been removed, this went over 2 years, my dad was looking better ect but still was suffering from short of breath.
An occurance last year upon a routine 6 month xray saw a new growth in a different place but near the first, they did another frozen episode and now he is in remision. So we are all happy at the moment.
He is due to get a battery attached to his heart to monitor his blood pressure as it keeps moving around?
so all ok so far,
I hope this helps?
|

replied January 23rd, 2009
shawdow on x-ray
I just found out they also found a shadow on my father's x-ray. They have requested a ct scan and scheduled it for Monday. This being Friday makes me fell they are pretty concerned. He is 80 years old and has been deterriorating in health for several years. My thoughts are with you as I understand the feeling you are having. I guess that is why I am also on here trying to find out all I can. God Bless!
|

replied March 9th, 2009
Shadow on my lungs
I have just been informed by my local Doctor that the x-ray done at the Hospital last Wednesday has found a shadow on both my lungs. I am not a smoker. I have this persistant cough. My Dr checked me this morning and said that my chest is clear and has given me Amoxcillan capsules. I am really worried. She has asked me to take another x-ray in two weeks. Why can she not recommend a CT scan at this stage. I have had chest pains for the past couple of months. They are not there at this present moment. Please help me. God Bless you.
|

replied June 14th, 2009
I had a Ct done this past Thursday thay said I had a mass on my right lung. is a shadow and mass the same thing? The doctor said it looked like pneumonia but i don't have the symptoms. They have cunfused me and now im worried first he said they were going to do test and then two hours later they want to operate remove this unknown mass from my lung by going through my chest. I will know more on monday
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2009
shadow on lung
my mom at the age of 15 (shes now 77) was told she had a shadow on her lung and they would call her back, they never did. over the last 8 weeks shes been ill with a chest infection no chest pains no coughing blood just your basic nasty cough finally managed to get her for a chest x ray to be told she has a shadow on her lung now either shes been the longest cancer sufferer in history or well we dont know. just very confusing got to wait 2 weeks to see a consultant but she is improving each day whos knows what we will find out .
|

replied July 13th, 2010
shadow on lung
my dad is 67 ,went to the hospital with chest pains about 6 weeks ago after giving him an x ray the doc said my old man had a "spec" on his lung and they thought he probly had pnumonia in one lung and gave him a course of antibiotics , well after two weeks of no improvement he goes back to see his gp , gp fobs my old man of with more antibiotics , another 2 weeks no better , my dads finally had his ct scan today and a broncoscapy as his "spec" has now become a "shadow" and we have to wait until thursday for the results, i"m just hoping that my dad being irish theres a chance this shadow could be a tb scar or something ,,god bless dad im praying for ya
|

replied September 24th, 2010
My Dad was a heavy smoker for about 40-45 years but gave up 9 years ago (he's 69) & now has COPD & asthma, but for the last 4 months he has had the worst ever cough and shortness of breath. It took me forever to get him to go to the doctor but he did and they sent him for an xray. Then yesterday he had a very bad asthma atttack and was up all nite with difficulty breathing. I took him straight to the docs this morning. He said he was 90% sure it wasnt a chest infection but that there is a "shadow" on his chest x-ray. Because the NHS is so SH*TE and took TWO MONTHS to process his xray, they have asked him to have another one on monday (today is Friday). I have been in tears all day freaking out & thinking the worst. Is there anything else it could be? Especially when the doc said he was 90% sure it wasnt an infection??
Thanks in advance for any replies.
|

replied October 4th, 2010
Hi I know how you feel my mum was called by the doctor early Friday morning and told that a shadow has shown up on her Xray - on her lung. We have got to wait til a week on Wednesday before she can go the hosp for the appoint to discuss it further. We don't know for sure what it is yet Sad
|

replied October 10th, 2010
Help
Hi my dad called me today to say his chest xray was showing 'something' when I probed him he said the doc told him there was a possibility it could be cancer but he would be referred to hospital for more tests and should hear from them in next couple of weeks. Is this normal to wait or if they were really concerned would he not be sent for tests imediately? My dad is not the best communicator and I'm finding it difficult to get much info from him not sure if that's because he doesn't know or doesn't want to tell me! Could someone help me and explain what the next stage would be and the questions I should be asking him? Is there a website I can find more info as I haven't been able to find much so far? Thank you x
|

replied October 10th, 2010
I feel in the same boat as you to be honest. My mum just said the doct said she had a shadow on her lung and that she had to go and see a consultant in a couple of weeks. My mum already has COPD so we can't help but think the worst. But that is all we know so far ...a shadow...and I'm thinking if it is more serious why would they make her wait 2 weeks???
|

replied October 16th, 2010
Hi, I have a smilar problem with my Dad who has recently been for an xray and they have called him because the doctor has noticed a shadow on his right lung. Im pretty concerned because my dad is also not the best communicator so he less likely to tell me if there was something wrong. They booked him an appointment for a CT scan in 2 weeks time which is making me worry less, as surely if this was life threating they would see him sooner. Then agian this is the NHS we are talking about that dont seem to have an urgency on most things.
Try not to worry, and just be supportive when needed.
|

replied November 1st, 2010
oh well good news about mum's 'shadow' on her lung, it's just a bit of scarring from her COPD. Apparantly there are lots of reasons for a shadow, not always cancer.
|

replied November 1st, 2010
Experienced User
My grandfather is 78, he was rushed to the ER Friday throwing up blood. Saturday morning he got a chest x-ray that shows a mass, not just a shadow but a mass. Dr said he won't sugar coat it that he thinks it is cancer just based on size and everything. My grandpa was diagnosed with pnemonia as well but a team of 3 Dr's is now trying to find out if it is lung cancer and if so if it has spread. That was Friday when it all started and today (Monday) he had a biopsy and other testing. Tomorrow they are doing a brain scan, liver scan, kidney check and look at the bones as well to see if it has spread anywhere. So we just sit and wait for results and I hate the waiting.
|

replied January 14th, 2011
shadow on the lung
my dads 60 and had an angina attack in december not knowing he had angina until then, they then did a chest xray and found a shadow on his right lung and say his right lung is smaller than his left. none of the doctors were sure what it was so hes had tests and the shadow they think is a none cancerous cyst but theyve said there is a mass behind it. since then theyve had another look at it and have said it has got worse and have basically put cancer at the top of their list. they have took part of it away to examine and we will get the results within 5-10 days, but like some of you..why is it that when they 1st saw this "mass" it was at th beginning of december and its takin them this long to find things out! its alright for them..its not their loved one! i am also wondering aswell...if they do have to take my dads lung away..is it a risk with him having angina or will it be possible for him to survive on one lung? thankyou
|

replied February 13th, 2011
shawdor on lung
my mum is 42 she recently had breathing prombles along with quite alot of health prombles she went for a x ray and the doctors told her she had a shadow on her right lung and which she would then have to go for a more tests were they take a small sample from her lung.am really worried because she is in bad health and lost quite alot of weight she also has liver cicrios which has taken quite an effect on her body am really worried that her body would be able to be strong enough if treatment is needed any advise would be a really big help as i dont really understand evey thing thanks
|

replied March 26th, 2011
shadow on lung
i lost my dad 4 years ago to lung cancer he found out in the feb and he died in the april he wasnt ill but went from stage 1 to stage 4 without knowing that he had it; now my mum has been on antibiotics and steriods for nearly 6 months she has copd and they have just done an xray and she has a shadow they want her to have a scan i am so scared that history is repeating its self i dont what to do sorry hope you all find out its something of nothing like im hoping to xxx
|

replied July 6th, 2011
So sorry to hear about your dad. My dad went just as quick he went into hospital and 6 weeks later he died of cancer which spread to his liver and brain. Yesterday my mum who has copd was aken into hospital and had a MRI scan and was told she has a large shadow on her lungs. So she then had to have a brain scan. I too feel as though history is repeating itself. Lets cross our fingers and pray they will be both ok. xx
|
12 >>