Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Seeking Help: Zoloft And Tinnitus (ringing In the Ears) (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I’m seeking information specifically about tinnitus (ringing in the ears) as a side effect of zoloft. The info i’ve already seen on the internet does not completely answer all my questions.

I’m new to zoloft, I have tinnitus (ringing in the ears) as a side effect, and i’m seeking information and reassurance from doctors who know about tinnitus associated with zoloft or patients who had zoloft tinnitus experiences.

I’ve only been taking zoloft for six (6) weeks. The first week was 25 mg per day, and all other weeks have been 50 mg per day.

During the fifth week, I developed tinnitus. I’m hoping that it’s a temporary side effect that will go away as I continue to take zoloft. I’m trying to find people who experienced tinnitus while taking zoloft, but continued zoloft anyway and then the tinnitus went away. I would also want to know about anyone whose tinnitus side effect did not go away, and whether they stayed on zoloft anyway with the accompanying tinnitus, or stopped taking zoloft. I’m hoping that nobody has experienced permanent tinnitus as a result of zoloft, but I guess I should know about that, too.

The zoloft was prescribed to treat my long-term moderate depression as well as pms or pmdd depression occurring before my menstrual period. I’m definitely feeling noticeably better now that i’m taking zoloft. I believe the zoloft is working so I really want to continue taking it. But the tinnitus is very unpleasant and aggravating, and I don’t think I could stand it permanently.

In the first few weeks of zoloft, I had several of the known side effects, but I stuck with the zoloft and those side effects went away. Initially I had increased anxiety, increased agitation, heart racing, trouble sleeping, slight nausea, diarrhea, dry mouth, yawning, increased night sweating. My depression and sadness seemed to get worse! Fortunately, the side effects and sadness all went away. The tinnitus only started during the fifth week. I’m willing to wait a reasonable time for the tinnitus side effect to go away, but for some reason it worries me more than the other side effects did. I think I fear permanent tinnitus.

My two doctors (internist and ob-gyne) are both monitoring my progress with zoloft. They have both been my doctors for a long time, they know me well, we communicate well, and I totally trust them. They explained that I could switch to another drug or I could stay longer on the zoloft. Both ways are medically valid choices for me. Neither doctor could predict whether I would continue to experience tinnitus with a different drug. My internist advised me to stay on the zoloft a little longer, as it sometimes takes a few months for all the good effects to appear then stabilize and for the side effects to appear and then stabilize and/or disappear. I’m following his advice for now.

I¬íve read a ton of information about zoloft and other anti-depressants, and i¬ím trying to acquire an accurate, intelligent and sophisticated understanding about it. I understand that finding the correct medicine or combo of medicines can be a very empirical trial-and-error process, or the very first drug might work great. I don¬ít want to stay too long on the wrong drug, but I don¬ít want to be a ¬ďmedicine hopper¬Ē before a medication has had time to demonstrate its full results. I want to know definitively which medicines are good or bad for me.

Question
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tinnitus20
|

replied August 19th, 2004
Ringing In the Ears With Antidperessants
Surprised thank goodness!

I tell my psyc. Dr. About the "whoshing in my ears" and he scratches his head. What is it and why does it happen?

I had the same thing with zoloft when I took that ad. I believe that it somehow affects a)my blood sugar or b) fluid in my inner ear.

Went through several ad's and continue to have this tinunitus.

Only relief I have experienced is from a naturopath who used some essential oil one drop per ear. This naturo doctor explains it as a build up of yeast (candida) in my ears that fill my inner ears. This is like thrush in the mouth. (babies get it)

i struggle with candida infections. Been dealing with that from age 19 to age 49. Is it possible I have yeast in my ears? Then the ad increase the yeast in my system? Could be.

At one point this winter I could not hear.

I am a smoker and this adds to the buildup in my ears...

But I could hear for the last two weeks! No discomfort or pain! Sorry I do not know what oil was used.

Another thought, I have been on meds where I do not get this tinunitus. I have been on one dose, 10 mg lexapro, do not get ringing and another dose 5 mg and get the ringing.

I hope this helps you get to the bottom of your ringing...

Ruby
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
I developed tinnitus after my third day on Zoloft. It has been continuous now for six months! From the time I open my eyes to bed bedtime it keeps on ringing loud. I have complained to the VA for months. They have reduced the Zoloft but it has had no effect. The doctors don't believe me and think I'm faking, I'm not! They said they never heard of this as a side affect to Zoloft. I'm scheduled for an MRI soon.
|

replied May 27th, 2010
Zoloft and Ringing in the ears
I just started Zoloft 2 weeks ago and my tinnitus started after the 3rd day also. I still have it continously. Last year I quit Effexor XR after being on it for years because of the tinnitus. I stayed off anti-depressants for almost 7 months and the ringing went away after several month. Now the doc feels I need to be on them again and the ringing has started back Sad
|

replied June 30th, 2010
Ringing in the ears/depression
I started suffering from depression about 15 years ago and for a while I was put on Prothiaden which I believe is an anti depressant.

Immediately I started taking it I started getting ringing in the ears and when I stopped it eased off but never went away.

Recently my depression has become worse and the ringing has got worse as well even though I'm not taking any anti depressant.

I can't tell whether its the depression that has caused it or the original medication. I can't see it ever going away. I just hope it doesn't get worse. Does anyone know whether ringing in the ears is a symptom of depression in itself.

None of the anti depressants I have taken have ever been of benefit. I would have been better off without any of them.
Ron
|

replied July 9th, 2010
I stopped citalopram after 1 week because i got loud ringing in my right ear
it has been 3 months now although it has reduced it has not left

I have read that it should go away if it is medication related because it cant be permanent damage if your on for a short while
and some people have said it has taken as long as 6 months or more

im losing hope after 3, but ill see i just cant believe i got this from being on a week not even
|

replied July 9th, 2010
Ringing in the ears
I was interested to read xtreme88's experiences with citalopram. I looked at the published side effects of the drug and see that ringing in ears is one of the side effects mentioned, but I bet the prescriber didn't tell extreme88 at the time it was prescribed.

xtreme88 also comments upon the fact that he only took it for a week. I only took Prothiaden for less than that (see my comments dated June 30th above). That was 15 years ago and my experiences have been the same. The ringing reduced when I stopped taking it but has never gone away after all this time. It has recently started to get worse.

I don't know if the cause is the drug itself or the underlying condition which prompted it to be prescribed in the first place. None of the doctors who have prescribed numerous drugs to me over the years show any interest at all in this development which is now worse than the condition which caused the problems in the first place.
|

replied July 9th, 2010
ear ringing
It really is tormenting ! it has been 3 months now
I cant imagine all you guys with it for years

I was not told about this at all, I had to google it and find out about it and then when i went back I was told it was a common side effect and it should go away soon
but im finding it hard to believe, I know anxiety or stress will raise it so i learned to stay calm yet 24/7 I hear ringing
I wish i never went on the AD, my anxiety was pretty easy to deal with compared to this
I too am in the same boat where no doctors know anything and say you got to live with it....its very depressing
i cant hear quietness ever I always have to have a fan going or the air conditioner....people say accept it and it wont bother you
I kind of have and no matter what it irritates me

but common sense says it would go away since i got it from medication....not a loud bang
|

replied July 9th, 2010
Ringing in the ears
xtreme88...I think that one of the reasons that doctors are so blase about ringing in ears is that no one really has any idea what it's like until they experience it. I know that I didn't give any thought to sufferers until I started suffering with it myself.

In my case it was anxiety and panic attacks (rather than depression which came later) which was the condition which prompted it all. All of the medication I was precribed made matters worse and I would have been better off with a low does of Beta Blockers to help with the panic attacks which in any event went away after a few months.

I find with my ringing that although it hasn't gone away I'm only aware of it at certain times of the day so perhaps am exaggerating it because when I am aware of it, it looms large and seems ever present. Perhaps that will happen for you and if you can distract yourself by talking to people or concentrating on something on the TV or Radio it might be less conspicuous.

You're not by any chance still taking a different medication which is preventing the ringing subsiding.

I think we would both be interested if any contributors know of any medication which helps prevent the ringing.
|

replied July 9th, 2010
Ringing in the ears
xtreme88...I think that one of the reasons that doctors are so blase about ringing in ears is that no one really has any idea what it's like until they experience it. I know that I didn't give any thought to sufferers until I started suffering with it myself.

In my case it was anxiety and panic attacks (rather than depression which came later) which was the condition which prompted it all. All of the medication I was precribed made matters worse and I would have been better off with a low does of Beta Blockers to help with the panic attacks which in any event went away after a few months.

I find with my ringing that although it hasn't gone away I'm only aware of it at certain times of the day so perhaps am exaggerating it because when I am aware of it, it looms large and seems ever present. Perhaps that will happen for you and if you can distract yourself by talking to people or concentrating on something on the TV or Radio it might be less conspicuous.

You're not by any chance still taking a different medication which is preventing the ringing subsiding.

I think we would both be interested if any contributors know of any medication which helps prevent the ringing.
|

replied July 9th, 2010
tinnitus
Hi Ronolden,

no i stopped medcation completly i was even taking tylenol for awhile for the headaches i got from the ringing

the only thing i do take now is ativan .5 and sometimes 1mg and thats just to keep me abit on ease because the ringing will drive you to insanity...I just fear ill never be the same but i can watch movies and go out especially outside and most of the time i dont hear the ringing, its more in quiet areas...but i would do anything to go back to the days without the ringing
and i have faith it will go away because it was medication related....

it has been 3 long hard months...with some brief relief periouds where i really thought it was gone for awhile
I would give you my email to talk on msn or chat
let me know
|

replied July 12th, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I just thought i would share my experience.

Im 27 Years old and been on SSRI's for about 8 years on and off.

I suffer from a little OCD and had severe panic attacks and anxiety.

The last 4 years or so i have been on cipralex which was ok, but i still felt like there was "Air in my Head" if that makes sense.

And i dont know about anyone here but i have been unable to feel any emotion whatsover, i dont get sad or feel anything from love to any normal emotions.... sometimes i feel like i dont even love my own family members is that normal?

So as a result to all of this i moved to Zoloft and now i have the ringing in the ears as well.... im going to come off all SSRI's

Is this a bad choice i really just need some insight on all of this.

Thanks

K
|

replied July 12th, 2010
ringing
hey seekingtruth,

It might be from the medications that make you feel no feelings im only guessing? did you used to feel like that before taking ssri's? and now you have taken zoloft and got ringing in the ears that has to be from the medication because I have taken citalopram and I have ringing in my ear only right one, but it used to be severly loud but has reduced more but is still there
write me anyone who needs someone to talk to because i need it to
also im sure your ringing will go away sooner or later but it may take time. I stopped take medication because i truly feel it makes you worse and the ringing in the ear is just insane i find, the only thing i take is .5 of ativan from time to time
|

replied May 30th, 2012
I too have Zoloft induced tinnitus
Hi xtreme88, I have had ringing in my ear and just realized tonight that it started to happen after I started taking zoloft. I was on it for 2 months and quit because it made me more depressed. The ringing started about the 4th or 5th week,,, I am back tracking since it took me all this time to realize its the Zoloft that caused the tinnitus. I see that many people on this blog had had similar side effects from it. Does anyone know whether it is stated on Zoloft package that it could lead to tinnitus and could be permanent? if not, we do have a lawsuit on our hands. I am deaf in my right ear so got tinnitus in my good ear... it sounds like a low hum of a washing machine. I am getting acupuncture for it, but now realize because its induced by a medication, acupuncture may not do a thing. Has anyone with the Zoloft induced tinnitus gotten rid of it? It is annoying. I only notice it at night, and when I put my finger on my ear to block out the sound, I don't hear the noise anymore. I find that strange... must mean my ear is making the noise from hearing the outside noise, not anything in my head. Has anyone had similar issues? thanks for reading.
|

replied July 12th, 2010
thanks xtreme88, i really appreciate your prompt reply.... i am just looking into alternatives at the moment as well.... when you stopped taking the SSRI's how did you do it gradually or just quit? thanks
|

replied July 12th, 2010
I quit because i was only on my 9 day and the doctor said it was even effective yet although I had ringing which was medium but went sky high when i took the full pill on day 8 and 9
I did quit. but how long have you been on if a few weeks or longer than a month come off slowly little by little but see a doctor to be exact and dont just believe someone on here....how is your ringing? they say the ringing you get from these meds is called tinnitus
do you have to sleep with a fan on ? and how is it on a scale of 1-10? im interested to know
|

replied August 11th, 2010
I just quit Zoloft today. I been on it for three weeks now. Started out with 25mg of the first week and 50mg after that. I woke up this morning and I heard that ringing in the ear all day. Seems like this is a side effect that is not very common. I quit Zoloft because I could not sleep with it. Im still waiting what other side effects i will be encountering after this withdrawal. Thanks I'll let you know if it goes away...
|

replied August 27th, 2010
ringing
hi did your guys ear ringing clear up?
|

replied September 4th, 2010
Its like on and off. I do experience it most when I'm in bed at night trying to go to sleep. During the daytime, I don't really notice it, but at times it does kick in.
|

replied September 6th, 2010
ringing
mine seems to have good and bad days sometimes i honestly believe its going away but then it will get loud again.
im about 4 1/2 months in now.
I was only on Citalopram 1 week....
|

replied November 20th, 2010
I too have Ringing im my ears. Im on Lexapro have been on cymbalta, and zoloft. Ive tried to get off the lexapro and its been a long pain. Back to taking 5mg. Tired 2.5 then nearly nothing. I feel like its like 6 months withdraw to get off. I like the fact I have little axeity... now taking Vitames B-12, Fish oil, and Ginkgo along with my multivitamens to help the fatque.. I've always had depressin and hard time sleeping since I was young. I sleep better now taking lexapro but the Ringing and fatque is out waying the axiety reduction...

Any sugestions? I think the Vitamen combo is helping with the fatque...
|
12 >>