Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Constant Ache In Throat

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hello!

I'm new to this forum and would like some feedback on my condition. I have had a constant ache in what feels like the adams apple for months. At first, I would awake with a scratchy throat that would disappear in about 10 minutes after awaking. The scratchiness in now gone but I have pain confined to what feels like the adam's apple. It's not the typical sore throat you get with a cold or flu, but rather it feels like the emotional lump you get in the throat when overcome with emotion.

I have been to 3 doctors and the clinic. It has been diagnosed as fungal in nature, acid reflux and an upper respiratory infection. I have received medication for all three conditions without solving the problem. Initially, I would also get pain behind the molars on the lower left side of my mouth and an occassional pain that lasted about 5 minutes on the left side of the face several times a day. The doctor thought it may be tmj, but my dentist said it was not. Eventually, the prescription of antibiotics that I received from the third doctor solved the pain problem in the mouth and left side of my face.

Now, with the exception of the pain in the throat I feel fine. I have no red or white spots in the mouth, tongue or tonsils. My lymph nodes are not swollen, my temperture is normal and the thyroid is fine also. I sleep well, have a healthy appetite, and it does not affect my voice or ability to swallow.

Just last week I went to the clinic to check for std's. The clinic did not perform a culture, saying that because the pain is in the throat and not the rear of the mouth, a culture is of no use. Therefore, I have no idea if I have a resistant strain of bacteria in the adam's apple or not.

The nurse at the clinic said that something (i can't remember what she called them) in my nose was enlarged. She suggested that I take an over the counter allergy medication. However, I don't believe it is related to allergies but that it is bacterial in nature because the antibiotics were somewhat successful.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Erich565
|

replied September 24th, 2004
Constant Ache In Throat
Hey there, just wanted to say that I too have had a constant ache in my throat for over a year now.I am a girl, so I do not have an adams aple, however the pain was in the same area. I had been to see numerous doctors of every nature and it all came back the same- allergies. Severe allergies. I was put on numerous allergy meds until I found one that worked. It is called zyrtec. I have to take a 10 m pill once a day every day to keep it under control. I still have a bit of a pain tn my throat but it fades a little more every day. I too suspected an infection because the docs put me on every type of antibotic available to try to kill whatever was causing it and it would start to go away near the end of my prescription and return with a vengeance. I can't figure out why. All I know is that the zyrtec allergy meds are working, they may work for you too. Pam Smile
|

replied December 7th, 2007
Ache In My Throat
Hello, this is my first time on here but I too have an ache in my throat. I am a constant hypochondriac(if that's how you spel it) and I worry about it all the time. I have an appointment with an ent on Wednesday. I have had the ache for about 3 to 4 months but it comes and goes. Here the past couple of weeks it has been pretty contant. I also notice that sometimes I have places in my neck that ache also. None of it really hurts just a weird ache. I also sometimes have what feels like pressure on my chest and on the back of my neck and shoulders. I am freeking out and I always think the worst. I am so scared of cancer. Well if anyone ever got a diagnosis of what it really is please let me know.
|

replied July 31st, 2009
im a 43 year old woman with a constant ache in throat too. in what wud be adams apple area. had it for over 3 years. its dont hurt, just an ache, and sometimes feels like theres something stuck in throat. some days i wake up eith it, some days it comes on during the day.my doctor didnt examine my throat or glands but diagnosed stress. she said it was due to clenching of the jaw. i accepted her diagnosis, reluctantly, but didnt wana push the issue.
|

replied March 17th, 2010
I have had an ache in my throat for 5 months now. Driving me crazy. My doctor seems preplexed. Was tested for GERD and test came back negative. One doctor suggested unstable angina, but a stress test was negative, too.

What is it? At this point I am concerned it may be something serious that is just being overlooked. If anyone has had any luck with a "cure" for this strange symptom, please let me know!!
Jody A.
|

replied July 28th, 2010
throat ache
I too have had this weird symptom for some time. Initially allergies were the diagnosis, and zyrtec did help. However the throat ache has come back with a vengence. The zyrtec no longer helps. It is keeping me up nights, and the more tired I get, the worse it hurts. I've been referred to a neuromuscular doc and will report back if anything comes of this.
|

replied December 10th, 2010
Same thing as most of you have wierd ache on the left side of my esophagus. I'm constantly feeling that area for a lump or something and never feel anything. It's driving me nuts. I'm going to buy me some Zyrtec today. Everyone is telling me Zyrtec helps much better than Claritan with allergies. It's sounding like this might be an allergy issue since some of the replies indicate that they have allergies and I defiantly have been fighting those.
|

replied April 27th, 2011
I've been searching for a long time to find some info on the symptoms I'm experiencing, and this string is the closest I've found. I've been experiencing a stiff and painful throat for months. It comes and goes, somedays worse than others. Lately, it's been getting worse though. The pain seems to be in my windpipe area and I find myself feeling around the outside of my neck around my windpipe for tender areas. Sometimes its on the right, other times on the left. I find myself stretching my neck as though I have a stiff windpipe area. Last week, I sneezed hard and I literally felt like my throat exploded on me. I immediately went to the clinic and they said I didn't have strep. I went to an ENT doctor expecting bad news, he scoped my throat w/ a device that went through my nose all the way down my windpipe. He didn't see anything worrysome - just some "slight" redness. Though relieved, the on and off pain and soreness when swallowing and overall stiffness is really annoying and getting to be a major issue to me. I was told that it is likely GERD or related to my allergies ( I have really bad seasonal allergies and even seasonal asthma.) I'll keep looking for answers, but I'm going to try that Zyrtec that was recommended. If anyone else out there has experienced these same symptoms, or has any idea what it could be, please let me know.
Thanks,
Erich
|
Users who thank Erich565 for this post: DjHouseblend 

replied September 16th, 2011
same problem,constant ache in the neck when i sing.
i too have the same problem as all of you.im a professional singer and for the last 6 months i have had this ache in my neck.its so annoying and when i sing i can only sing for a few minutes until it aches so much that i literally have to stop.im really worried what this might be as i am literally signed to a record label and have massive pressure to finish a project that im not even sure i can do with this problem.i thank all of you so much for your posts on here as i feel much better knowing that it maybe just a allergy ( im alergic to dust,cats,dogs,most airbourne particles really ) so it would make sense for me to have allergies..i will try the zyrtec tommorow and let you all know if it works or not.i hope this goes away for all of you.i wouldnt really mind to much if i was not a singer but this literally could ruin my whole career...anyway if anyone has anymore good suggestions please post them.and best of luck to all of you.thanks to all the people who posted,i actually thought my career was over : -( now i feel slightly relieved.thank you Smile
|

replied March 9th, 2013
I find your post really interesting. I also am a professional performer and suffer from this achy throat, not being able to sing for lengthy periods of time without my voice aching. I have tried Zyrtec which helps a little, mainly assisting my allergies. I have been to ENT, getting the scope down my throat which came back all clear. Something that has come to my attention recently is Thyroid disorders. I am a skinny guy who struggles to put on weight and its said an inflamed thyroid is the cause. the thyroid is located below the adams apple on the windpipe and if its inflamed, that would explain the constant ache and tired voice. Hope this gives you a bit more information. I might be way off track but its nice to know others out there are experiencing the same thing.
|

replied November 29th, 2011
I too have this super-annoying problem. It started about 8 months ago, and I initially thought it had to do with high blood pressure. My doc put me on atenolol (BIG mistake) and was on it for 3 months- then 6 months of getting back to 'normal'. Not back to 100%, about 85%. Google "Atenolol horror! Help!!!" and you will see what I went through. My symptoms resemble "Gilberts syndrome"- btw.
But, I now have this bothersome ache/lump in my throat, I smell phantom smoke/burning coffee half the time, and ringing in my ears. It all comes and goes. The throat issue seems to go away when I eat, and doesn't bother me when I sleep, or wake up. Some days it's barely there, other days it's awful. Been to an ent, he thought it was acid-reflux. (of course, right?) If I go to a shrink he would tell me I need a pill for my head; so on and so on. I do believe it does have to do with how I feel, emotionally. If I feel really good- like grooving out to a familiar song- it goes away. If I am stressed out in any shape or form- it gets worse. Doing Yoga helps immensely. A good shiatsu massage is next on my list. Having the combo of smelling phantom smoke, ringing in my ears and the hands-around-my-neck syndrome is REALLY annoying- to say the least.
|

replied May 26th, 2012
Constant pain in throat
OMG I have been having this constant pain in my throat, first time I went docs (a year or so ago) he said it was some sort of singers lump thing there was a black patch at the back of my throat and could get worse. The pain went after a week. But now it's back and Iv'e had it for months! I have no idea what it could be. I'm a radio presenter and need my voice box not to hurt, sometimes I have a stretching sensation :\
Misssy
|

replied October 23rd, 2012
I work in a call center, I talk for 8 hours a day. When I made my first visit to the doctor they thought it was a swollen lymph node. They prescribed me some Amoxicillon and a low end steroid to help with the swelling. The pain continued. Then they had me take 800mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day, or 1-2 Aleve (Naproxen). This of course helped reduce the pain to no pain at all, but it would keep coming back. Eventually I went to see an ENT - they couldn't determine anything out of the ordinary there so they scheduled a CAT Scan. They injected me with a dye (through IV) and put me through the machine. The scan came back saying that nothing was wrong and that they believed it to be just an inflammation of my thyroid.

Additional Details: It's EXCRUCIATING when I sneeze, that is when it hurts the most. It is on the left side of my Adam's apple. I have a fruit/vegetable allergy (not related IMO). I snore at night (might have a side affect). But that's it...

Hopefully my story helps someone else out there not worry so much like the rest of us have. And either way, go see a doctor, if they don't see or feel anything out of the ordinary, maybe show them this page. Good luck.
|

replied September 15th, 2013
Constant throat aching
I have a constant deep ache in my throat that makes me have an involuntary muscle clenching, and it never, ever goes away. I find myself constantly rubbing me throat so that people around me won't notice my nervous tic. I've had it as long as I can remember, I'm 56 years old, and I would give anything to find an answer to solve this horrible problem. I have found that if I drink diet coke or coffee, then it's way worse for many hours. I tried a naturopathic tonic called "tic tamer" but it didn't help for more that a couple minutes. I really think it is a neurological brain disorder. I am super healthy in every other way, just this annoying, super strong deep ache that never goes away. I wish I could find someone with an answer, but of course, any doctor I confide in (because this problem really embarrasses me) they all look at me blank with NO solutions or answers. You would have thought I just told them something that was so out-of-the ordinary that they can't possibly respond to it. SO FRUSTRATED!
|

replied September 20th, 2013
I have had an ache in my throat for months now. When i researched it i got nothing. I got tonsilitis in Decmeber 2012 and 9 months later i'm still having problems, i've been to see ENT and he checked and said theres nothing sinister and that i should have my tonsils removed as they're very criptic. Not ideal as i'm 32 :-/. but i will be having the procedure.
This ache in my throat has been unbearable but on my lastvisit to my GP i told him that the only thing that has helped me in previous years when i have sore throats is Augmenten Duo, so he prescribed this to me and i'm on day 3 of the meds and the ache is gone. This is the best i have felt in 9 months. I really think it was a bacterial infection that just would not go with regular antibiotics. I'm so happy its clearing now because it was pulling me down. I still have a crackling in my right ear but not as bad as it was. And will be having the tonsils removed in the near future.
Hope that helps Smile
|