Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Hiv And Mosquito Bites (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I was recently asked if you could get aids or hiv from a mosquito and I know you cant because they have a certain enzyme that prevents them from spreading it but could you please give me more detail or and information web site I could go to. Thank you for your help. Wink
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MadCow
|

replied November 1st, 2003
I Often Have the Same Question
If a mosquito can spread malaria, west nile and all sorts of diseases through out history, why can't they spread aids? Or even those biting flys. I have killed many mosquitos and biting flys and many times they will have blood inside of them. Explain to me why if that mosquisto or biting fly freshly bites someone with aids and then bites me, how come I can't get infected? I think that I could, but science and the government don't want to start a mass panic by telling the public. I think a large number of those infected probably got it from some kind of insect bite...But then again, I am very stubborn and wont believe otherwise without firm scientific proof.
|

replied April 2nd, 2004
Because that's just plain not how you're infected with west nile. The mosquito is not secrting infected blood to you. I have recently seen a website that addressed this. I'll look for it and get back to you.
|

replied April 2nd, 2004
"no, hiv/aids cannot be transmitted from an insect to a human. Take the example of malaria and mosquitoes. Malaria gets into the blood of a mosquito and lodges itself into the salivary glands of the mosquito. It is then transmitted into a human through the saliva of the mosquito. The malaria protozoan can mutate and develop in the saliva of the mosquito. Hiv is a virus that reproduces in the blood cells that a human has not the cells of an insect. Hiv/aids needs a different kind of host than an insect to develop. Hiv can live in an insect for a very short amount of time. It will not transfer into the saliva of a mosquito, which is the only way a disease is transmitted. It simply cannot reproduce in a mosquito because of the lack of blood cells. This concludes that even if hiv enters a mosquito or other insect, the insect cannot become infected and it cannot transmit hiv to a human. "
|
Users who thank NicNat for this post: homerx 

replied September 24th, 2007
Mosquito Bites And Aids
This concerns me also. I was reading some websites that say that a mosquito will digest the virus within 1-2 days, wouldn't the mosquito's nose that punctures the skin and retrieves the blood act the same way a needle would work when someone with AIDS gives someone else AIDs through the sharing of needles? If a mosquito went and drank blood from an infected person and then immediately went to an uninfected person and drank their blood, wouldn't that pass the infection? Not through their salvitory glands, but through their skin piercing nose/mouth? I have not seen a clear answer concerning this particular area of question. Does anyone know if this would be a way of passing it. My mother had told me that my great cousin John has passed away from AIDS, I never met him, but she wanted me to come to the family gathering, I went, it was outdoor, my great cousin was gay. There were a lot of gay men there at the gathering that were friends or something of his, I was bitten while we were outside by a mosquito, it concerns me just a little, that perhaps I was not the first one bitten at that gathering, and perhaps John was not the only one that was infected. Could someone please shed some light on this subject for me. The subject of the nose being compared to a needle, not anything to do with the stomach. I am pregnant and this is really bugging me. Thank you!
|

replied January 12th, 2009
Get rid of your ignorance
Just they are gay doesn't mean they have AIDS. There could've more likely been heterosexuals with AIDS who could've infected you through a mosquito, which by the way is not a possible way of getting infected.
|
Users who thank Panni for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Re: Get rid of your ignorance
Panni wrote:
Just they are gay doesn't mean they have AIDS. There could've more likely been heterosexuals with AIDS who could've infected you through a mosquito, which by the way is not a possible way of getting infected.
Right On!Homophobia is a more contagious disease than HIV/AIDS. Rolling Eyes She is just ...wow...I cant even say what I am thinking here... Mad
|

replied February 12th, 2009
any answers?
so how? any answers? will AIDS/HIV be transmitted via mosquitoes or any other flying insects?
|

here's the answers!
http://www.uic.edu/orgs/convening/aids.htm

You cannot catch AIDS from a toilet seat, from a hot tub shared with a person with AIDS, from kissing a person with AIDS, or by being bitten by a mosquito that bit a person with AIDS.
|
Users who thank kenyoz for this post: homerx 

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Re: here's the answers!
kenyoz wrote:
http://www.uic.edu/orgs/convening/ai ds.htm

You cannot catch AIDS from a toilet seat, from a hot tub shared with a person with AIDS, from kissing a person with AIDS, or by being bitten by a mosquito that bit a person with AIDS.
I am amazed that after over 20 years of HIV/AIDS so many people are still so ignorant about it..thank you for your direct answer!
|

replied May 24th, 2009
Eating a mosquito
What if one were to consume a mosquito filled with the blood of an HIV/AIDS positive individual? Can the transmission of such viruses occur?
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2012
Mosquito Consumption & HIV/HCV
It is theoretically (remotely at best) possible via consumption, though more likely if you swatted the mosquito which was plump with a recent infected (HIV/Hep C)harvest and then scratched the area where the blood is without first washing. No cases have been confirmed via this (swatting & scratching) method, but it is definitely not beyond the realm of possibility.

But mosquito bites proper? No real chance of spreading, it just doesn't work that way.
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2009
Community Volunteer
no
|

replied June 16th, 2009
Was it my blood I squished all over including injection site
Not to kick a dead horse, but here is my concern:
I rarely get bitten by a mosquito, for whatever real or nonsense reason. When I do get bitten, I swat/smack the mosquito and because of the minimal "welt" on my skin, I assumed that I caught them early in their dinner.

Tonight I swatted a mosquito and blood went everywhere. I want to say, because of my (probable) ignorance that it wasn't my blood because I assume I'm sensitive enough to feel them early, before they had a chance to collect so much blood. So, if the blood wasn't mine and if it was someone elses and they had a bloodborn pathogen... if i squished their blood all over my shoulder and probably onto the hole the mosquito made, well, could I get any bloodborne pathogen from the previous victim?

Really, someone please just tell me that it was my blood.
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
Supporter
Hey, we're in a recession and there is a war going on. It's your blood and even if it weren't, you are not going to get HIV/AIDS from the puncture wound from a mosquito. Relax! Spray some insect propelant on your skin if your worried and don't have unprotected sex. Unprotected sex is the most likely way you will be infected with HIV/AIDS or STDs..
|
Users who thank wendyrs for this post: homerx 

replied June 18th, 2009
Yes. The best way to prevent Aids is by not having sex at all. Masturbate !
|
Users who thank JackB for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2009
Community Volunteer
JackB wrote:
Yes. The best way to prevent Aids is by not having sex at all. Masturbate !
U R right!
|

replied June 25th, 2009
Aids and mosquito's
I don't think that the lady meant anything by saying that a lot of other people at the party could possibly be like he relative and have aids!! it did and would up the possibility of more than one person at the party having aids.anyone can contract aids...babies,straight,gay, mother, fathers, sons and daughters can get it!!Ya'll are all real quick to judge and be hateful..She is scared for herself and her unborn child..No one wants or deserves aids Smile
|
Users who thank LLang for this post: homerx 

replied September 4th, 2009
Mosquito and the Pathogens they carry
Don be ignorant you silly humans!! Just da fax man! Science we need here not our personal assaults on others biases! If a mosquito is packed with blood and you squish it and the obvious blood is all over your hands - is there any chance of acquiring a Blood borne Pathogen??? Science now people not "what you believe" Please.
Thank you
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
@Panni and homerx
Look at the facts. Gays have more AIDS. And get more. It's been that way for a while. From 2007 CDC report. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance /basic.htm#hivaidsexposure

Instead of reacting do a little research. Gay men have more AIDS than the non-gay population. It's a fact, not homophobia, what you're doing is reverse homophobia. Stop the hate. Accept the facts.

From
Transmission Category Estimated # of HIV/AIDS Cases, in 2007
Adult and Adolescent Male Adult and Adolescent Female Total
Male-to-male sexual contact 22,472 - 22,472
Injection drug use 3,133 1,806 4,939
Male-to-male sexual contact and injection drug use 1,260 - 1,260
High-risk heterosexual contact 4,551 9,076 13,627
Other** 102 96 198
*Heterosexual contact with a person known to have, or to be at high risk for, HIV infection.
** Includes hemophilia, blood transfusion, perinatal exposure, and risk not reported or not identified.
Every 9½ minutes, someone in the U.S. is infected with HIV. Get the facts. Act against AIDS.

Know Your HIV Status?

AIDS.gov: Access to U.S. Government HIV / AIDS information
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2010
Community Volunteer
That is from the CDC which is ONLY for the USA...check out the World Wide stats...its STRAIGHT people that have it 100% more than gay people..

The truth is that 16,000 people worldwide are infected with HIV every single day (World Health Organization). They are not all gay. In the United States, HIV infection rates have held steady at 40,000 per year, but recent preliminary data suggests those rates are on the rise. They are not all gay. African-American and Hispanic women together represent less than one-fourth of all U.S. women, but account for more than three-fourths (76%) of AIDS cases among women in this country (CDC Update, 6/9Cool. Women now account for 43% of all HIV infected people over the age of 15 (New York Times, 11/9Cool. In just over a decade, the proportion of all AIDS cases reported among adult and adolescent women tripled, from 7% in 1985 to 22% in 1997 (CDC Update, 6/9Cool.

Further, more than 30 million people around the world are living with HIV or AIDS, and by the year 2012 that figure will reach 50 million (UNAIDS/World Health Organization, 12/07). They are not all gay. AIDS now kills more people worldwide than any other infection, including malaria and tuberculosis.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile