Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Reusing a Pregnancy Test? (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
My sister is 18yrs old, and she thought that she was pregnant back in march. She was broke, and only could afford one of the cheap tests. Well, she took it, it was neg. Then she peed on the same one two days later, and it was pos.. Prior to taking it again, she looked to make sure that there was no evaporation line, there wasn't. What do you guys think. Turned out she was pregnant, and finds out what she is having on the 25th.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper marshaoz
|

replied August 16th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
You're not meant to re-use tests.The one's ive used say that whatever your result is to through it out after 10mins (unless u wanna keep it 4 memories or whatever) I think she needs to get a blood test to 100% establish if it she definetely is.Oh and if she did it two days later then in march that would make her quite far along now........
|

Well, I knew that it was definately not the best way to go about doing things, but I never heard of one coming up pos. Anyhow, she is going into her 5th month, I don't know it may have been in april. Its close anyway. I have been ttc for a while now, and I think that I might be. Have alot of the symptoms. I hope I am wish me luck. I will take a test at the end of the month. Thanks for your reply. Cool
|

Extremely eHealthy
Pregnancy tests are meant to be used once, which is why that is exactly what it says on the label. You probably didn't hear about one turning up positive when used the second time, because most people would not use one again as it is pointless.
Most of them get results from three to ten minutes and after that are useless. Meaning if the result would change for some reasons it is invalid and you have to go by the original result.
Also, it is really unclean to use a hpt twice.
|

I know that. I know how to read, and I am a very clean person. As far as my sister goes, that is another story. Just thought that maybe I could talk to someone about it. I am not stupid nor am I two years old. I am sorry if I offended you, but this I think is a good place to talk to others concerning different aspects of pregnancy. Maybe I took your message the wrong way, but it seems to me that you were trying to make me feel stupid. Well, thanks for all the info. Yeah, the whole thing is silly, and I personally wouldn't do a thing like that, but there are some messed up folks out there. I hope that we can start off on a different foot in the future. I really enjoy reading all of the stuff on theses forums, and I thought maybe I should try talking to some of the people; seeing as how I am ttc. Well, hope to hear from you soon.
|

replied December 10th, 2012
Hey mate x I thought your comment was an important one. Pregnancy does not happen only to the rich.. there are kids out there everywhere probably in a bad situation and they are peeing on the same stick and need some advice and frankly don't have anyone else to talk to rather than the internet. So good on you and when you post in future be prepared for a whole array of varying thoughts on your posts. As for not clean. It's not like they shove it up there bum, it just a bit of pee so who the hell cares. If they are gonna be mums they better get used to body fluids. Smile
Hope your sister is going well. Look after each other x
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2004
Community Volunteer
Babytoon don't be offended, but the girls in here are either ttc or have babies on the way, or young children , all bar a few.

A lot of people register to this site and then make one or two posts to which the answer should be plain and simple and then disappear, I believe the girls read a lot of these posts and sigh. Embarassed
although you say you can read etc and fair enough, as the replies were not saying anything like that, but many people do not read the instructions and it was you who made the post after all. This site consists mostly mostly of our opinions and when asked we give it freely.

It would be unlikely to change the result of a test by using it again, as there is a line of re-agent in the first half. You dip the stick, the urine wets the dye(re-agent) and then if hcg is present the dye will stain the first block(pregnant line) either way the second block (test working line) will be stained. It is becuse there is no dye left that you should'nt re-use the test, it may well have ben a fluke or because a negative test can show a positive if left for more than 10mins, while a positive result will keep for up to 48hours
|

Experienced User
Best of luck to you!
|

Thanks to all. I just had a bad day yesterday, and was a little tempermental. Embarassed I am ttc and have been for almost a year now. Yesterday I took two tests one was - and the other + . The postitive one was so faint that I had to shine it in the light just right to see. So, I am just waiting like a good little girl to retest in 3-5 days. I guess that most of all I am upset that someone like my sister can get pregnant, and I can't. She is very unclean, a little on the slow side, married (hubby don't have a job), she doesn't have a job, etc. I on the other hand are a full-time student, have a hubby who is a teacher and coach, work part time, and will do well for myself. I just get a little aggitated sometimes. Then, to top it off yesterday, I read one about the girl who is trying to induce a misscarriage; someone actually gave her advice on how to do it w/o punching her self. Anyhow, I have enjoyed reading all of the posts (i was one of those who never replied, and just read). So, hope to hear from you all soon. Thanks again!!
|

replied November 13th, 2011
don't apologize
Don't apologize to these rude morons. If they have nothing nice to say they should not post negative insulting comments. Frankness is not an excuse for being rude. Some people are rude and they make excuses for it by saying they are speaking their mind. There are ways to go about saying things even if you don't agree with others in a civil humane way.
I read the comment the person made and it was rude and condescending. So, don't apologize to anyone.Some people are on these sites trolling or just out to be malicious. By the way, good luck from another TTC also Smile
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
No probs
hang around and chat and keep us posted
good luck

ps best way to concieve?
Stop trying, just have fun sex Wink
|

Extremely eHealthy
I didn't mean to offend you. Kia is right we get a lot of really shady people/questions around here and it is very frustrating sometimes, but I didn't mean to insinuate that you are dumb. Please don't take it that way.
And no problems with the tempermentalness....If that is even a word, which I doublt. We all have our days! Hope you stick around!
|

Well, to keep you guys posted, I have taken two tests, and so far they have been +, but real shady (extremely faint), so that I have to look at them at an angle. So, tonight I went and bought two first responses, and one clear blue easy (or something like that). I will take one of the first responses in the morning. I am 1 day late. I will be on tommorrow afternoon to let everyone know. Sorry about all the confusion. Wish me luck!!!! Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
Goodluck! You ought to buy stock in hpt's! Actually, we all should. That is not a bad idea!
|

replied August 18th, 2004
Okay, I am totally confused right about now. I have taken 2 equate brand tests, and both were pos. Well, last night, I went to bed about 12:00 or so, and when I woke up having to pee really bad, I went ahead and took the 1st response (supposed to show up earlier than others); it was neg. Not even a shadow of a 2nd line. Question Exclamation that was at 1:15 am. I would much rather believe the equate brand, but the 1st response is supposed to tell better. So, I don't think that I am this month. Crying or Very sad if I happen to be, there is a good chance that I wont be able to carry the baby (hcg level, prog. Level, etc.). I am totally messed up today. I will give it another week, and then I will test one more time. If not preg. I will go to Dr. To get a prog. Shot to start the cycle over again. Thanks for all the luck! Best wishes to all of you.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Postitives not matter how faint are rarely wrong, how ever negatives can be wrong for many reasons, including urine not strong enough, if not using first morning (overnight) urine, try to make sure it is at least 4 hours old (in bladder) and that you haven't had lots to drink to flush and dilute the hormone.
|

Thanks! I am so glad I am not alone. I am calling all angels. Pray for me, I would love to give my new husband the most wonderful gift in the world. A baby. He for sure deserves it. Hes the best. I am on a huge emotional rollercoaster. Confused I hate this part of it. If I am, it is definately worth it. Talk to you later. Wink
|

replied March 1st, 2010
And?
|

replied March 1st, 2010
I think your best bet at this piont is to just go to the doctor and get a blood test and find out for sure Smile Good luck!!!
|

replied March 7th, 2010
i have always wondered if you could reuse a pregnancy test...they are so untrustworthy to begin with...i was 2.5 months pregnant and all the pregnancy tests said negative..going to the doctor for a blood test would be the best bet...HCG shows up in the blood first anyhow...!!
|

replied March 8th, 2010
i just realized that we were answering a question that was posted back in 2004..haha...i think that she knows by now if she was preggers or not..lol
|

replied June 8th, 2010
Hi all,
Could someone help me to answer my question. I tried to use pregnancy test, but in the first attempt no result it was all white. The I used it again like 1 min I pee a lot then the result shows postive. Is it true? Or I need to try another test by using only once.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply