Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Severe Post Hesterectomy Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Following a sub total hesterectomy 10 months ago
i have been in severe constant abdominal pain unable
to travel or do anything. At the moment there is no light at
the end of the tunnel, have just started on gabapentin.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper quey2
|

replied August 19th, 2004
I had a hysterectomy over a year ago and I still suffer from soreness and pain in my stomach and lower back. I tried neurontin for awhile, but it made me feel terrible. There seems to be no reason for my pain, yet I can't walk long distances and I can't be as active as i'd like to be. Binding myself around my mid-section gives me some relief.
|

replied November 21st, 2005
Pain
Just looking for answers for why my wife. She has had nothing but server pain in her leggs and growing area. We have been to so many doctors and so far no one can find anything wrong. My wife is becomming more depressed each day. Not being able to work any more and not being able to take time for our first grandson just making it day by day on pain pills. Alot of people say she is hooked on the pills but she has stopped taking them for up to 2 weeks and still nothing but pain. It is causing so much trouble for her. The hysterectomy we feel was uncalled for just another way for the doctor to make more money.

Any advice out there or anyone else with the same pain???????
|

replied December 28th, 2012
Please tell your wife she is not alone! I am 9 mos post op, and I live with pain everyday!I wish I never had a hysterectomy but at the time I was having alot of ovarion cyst and pelvic pain.Tell your wife she is not a pill head.I have had to take pain meds since my surgery and I don't like them either but I Have to take them.Try going to a pain management Dr. they can do a pain block and can give her some relief. Good luck and God Bless!
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Hi pain! I am sorry to here your wife has to live like that, has she been to a pain management dr, they are generally anaesthesiologists, they might be able to do some pain blocks for her or a pain pump. I understand her pain, I live with it 24/7, your wife is not a druggy, their is a difference between wanting and needing pain medication.

To all of the rest of you, I sympathyze with you too, try to find a pain managemrnt Dr. It could be from scar tissue or arthritis.

I hope this has helped!
|

replied November 22nd, 2005
Pain
Thanks for the reply, yes she has and is still going to a pain mang dr, has even had all the shots also but still no help. Also she has been checked for arthartis and nothing shown up in that department.
|

replied January 3rd, 2006
Re: Pain
pain wrote:
thanks for the reply, yes she has and is still going to a pain mang dr, has even had all the shots also but still no help. Also she has been checked for arthartis and nothing shown up in that department.

hi , I was reading your post and will tell you I have had pain for 9 years now since my surgery, had a second surgery because of a cut to my bladder during the hysterectomy, I have went through $50,000 worth of procedures from this surgery and still have the pain. I have done a lot of research and will tell you I firmly believe that the estrogen plays a big role in pain! Even though the doctors who are so anxious to castrate us have no clue after the fact what is up. I was initially on a high dose then lowered it due to severe migraines, I finally 2 years ago had to decrease again because of a liver lesion they found and within a year I noticed the pain had decreased, although now I have developed other medical problems(disc in my neck are gone and my nerves are being compressed causing numbness and severe neck pain) I went from one thing to another and I know in my heart it all has to do with the surgery. No replacement hormone will ever match the natural so it is important for us to have a doctor who is willing to work with us. I hope your wife finds some answers, it is very depressing and takes a toll on ones body and soul after so long. Find a good internist who knows about female hormones, having blood tests means nothing, it has to be a fine balance for the individual. In my case estrogen was causing symptoms of interstitial cystitis and when it was lowered the symptoms have improved, some women are the opposite, higher estrogen helps, it is a matter of working with it to see what helps because it was certainly none of the doctors I went to that ultimately knew what to do. Wishing your wife pain free new year!
|

replied April 9th, 2010
CONSTANT CRAMPING AFTER COMPLETE DAVINCI ROBOTIC HYSTERECTOMY
Help! I too have severe constant pain after my hysterectomy. I had the Davinci Robotic surgery 3 months ago and I hurt continually all day every day. I have lower cramps in the pelvic area. Sometime when walking, there is a quick sparatic catch that hurts really bad. It seems that after lifting or any strenuous activity, the pain is worse. The doctor doesn''t seem to know or care that something is wrong. I no longer have my uterus or ovaries so what is causing the constant cramping? I am about to go out of my mind.
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
rox..i could have wrote your words exacty! the only difference is i did not have Davinci surgery. My surgery was a little over 3 months ago too! I hope one day they can figure it out.
|

replied July 13th, 2012
Pain a year after Da vinci Hystorectomy
Hi I also had the Da vinci hystorectomy. I kept my overies. 1 week after my surgery I began having severe pain in my right abdomen and lower back. I ended up in the emergancy room were they performed numerous tests and nothing was found? Its been 1 year since and im still in alot of pain after seeing many doctors having tests after tests and even exploritory surgery for the bladder and still nothing?? Its so frustrating!Im so tired of being in this pain and having doctors look at you like you're crazy!! I read that the da vinci uses electrical current without enough ventilation which causes damage to the surrounding areas? also Doctors need to have atleast 700 surgeries under their belt to be sufficiant enough to even use the Da vinci safely!!
|

replied August 2nd, 2010
sever pain
Hi i to have sever pain after my surgery it has now been 7 months and i have pain on my right lower side and back.I had a lapo 3 weeks ago and they found adhesions which my doctor thought might have been the pain but after 2 days the pain was back . I have had to stop working and the pain is so sever i cant function as a mormal mum any more. I have found a pain doctor now who seems to think it may be 12th rib syndrome i am hoping he may help if anyone has heard of this please help
|

replied August 17th, 2010
Its been over 25 years since my total hysterectomy. And for most of those 25 years, I have suffered from moderate to severe back, abdominal, and vaginal pain. I was told, one time, that it was scar tissue but I have my doubts about that. When I do have one of my 'episodes', I have to get on all 4s to relieve some of the pressure and at times, my husband has to literally, take his knee and apply pressure to my lower back. Sometimes that helps, sometimes not. The pain is severe enough at times, I believe my bladder is trying to fall out through my vagina. My stomach swells like it will explode. I have no clue what is happening to me but I could sure use some advise on what to do and where to go. Thanks.
|
Users who thank jylynn for this post: Ginalewis  Ginalewis 

replied March 16th, 2012
I just had surgery two weeks ago and i am already worried. There seems to be a constant pain to my lower right side which I can't explain. It feels as though something is sticking me there. I went back to see the doctor yesterday and he said he does not understand why I am in pain. His suggestion was that I should wait another two weeks and see what happens. From my little investigation, all the ladies I know who had this procedure told me that they were ok after a few days, they did not have to take much of their pain mdication. Even though this is early after the surgery i think maybe something might have gone wrong.
|

replied July 25th, 2012
Its been a year since my surgery and I still have terrible pain on my right side and lower back? I feel for you
|

replied March 16th, 2012
Pain after Robotic Hysterectomy
I had my Robotic Hysterectomy 11 months ago. When I woke up from surgery, the first thing I had was severe back pain. 11 months later that back pain is worse and it surrounds my whole pelvic area. My doctor thinks it is nerve damage and I have just started taking some meds for it. I have been downing Ibuprofen constantly just to get some relief. I cannot go walking or even attempt to exercise or it just makes it worse. I sleep with 4 pillows and the stomach brace does help at night. The personal things a wife and husband is SUPPOSE to do; completely out of the question....
|

replied July 13th, 2012
Im going threw the same thing 1 year after robotic hysto. feels like nurve damage or spasms its just awful!
|

replied November 20th, 2012
So much pain
I had a full hysterectomy about 3 yrs ago at 30, because of cramping probable because of cancerous cells. Dr thought after other test a full hysterectomy would be the thing to do. Now I live in constent pain, abdominal pain going to back and down legs, and they don't really prescribe pain meds here because they don't know what it is try say number 1, and number 2, I guess there's to many people that abuse them. But I'm hurting so bad!! I don't even want sex anymore, hurts to bad, especially after...help!! All I want to do us sleep. And I'm ruining my liver by taking all this Motrin 800 mllgs, guess the dc thinks that's better. I have a app with a pain doc next tue, but that's for my neck/head. But I guess I can tell them about this right??
|

replied November 26th, 2012
I am also havin lots of pain & been havin for years> 5,legs,lower back, sex is horrible PAIN,PAIN, at this point i don't know what i need,i have taken pain meds all kinds with min relief, have new dx,disk in neck & back,spinal stenosis,breast are full of painful big cyst often get them aspirated & tested very costly,also 1 ovary present LT ovary with a golf ball size cyst initally now it has gotten smaller, I am not a complainer but last few years has been very difficult with all this pain its unreal,last December I had 2 stop takin any meds,vitamins(why) well been c/o being tired,low grade fevers doc say rest,drink plenty of water,different docs will say this & some will just look at me say well its proabally a virus , well of course u smart doc after approx 2 yrs later of low grade temp, & longer than 10 of tiredness & me asking for all test availabe & I was not nice when I ask, the blood test came back hep.c** Chronic**,with this being said I will advise everyone to pray 1st,listen to your inner self & u will know what test,or meds 2 ask the doc for.. right now I am currently changin my diet to help with pain along with as much exercise i can tolerate which is not much stretchin,walkin & if anyone have anything else to add for my conditions I will greatly appreciate it......THANK U ALL SO MUCH & May God Bless,my heart is heavy for anyone who is any pain
|

replied November 26th, 2012
I am also havin lots of pain & been havin for years> 5,legs,lower back, sex is horrible PAIN,PAIN, at this point i don't know what i need,i have taken pain meds all kinds with min relief, have new dx,disk in neck & back,spinal stenosis,breast are full of painful big cyst often get them aspirated & tested very costly,also 1 ovary present LT ovary with a golf ball size cyst initally now it has gotten smaller, I am not a complainer but last few years has been very difficult with all this pain its unreal,last December I had 2 stop takin any meds,vitamins(why) well been c/o being tired,low grade fevers doc say rest,drink plenty of water,different docs will say this & some will just look at me say well its proabally a virus , well of course u smart doc after approx 2 yrs later of low grade temp, & longer than 10 of tiredness & me asking for all test availabe & I was not nice when I ask, the blood test came back hep.c** Chronic**,with this being said I will advise everyone to pray 1st,listen to your inner self & u will know what test,or meds 2 ask the doc for.. right now I am currently changin my diet to help with pain along with as much exercise i can tolerate which is not much stretchin,walkin & if anyone have anything else to add for my conditions I will greatly appreciate it......THANK U ALL SO MUCH & May God Bless,my heart is heavy for anyone who is any pain
|