Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Switching Brands Help!

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knows if I would still be protected if I switched brands of birth control pills. I've been on ortho tri cyclen lo for almsot a year now and I love it, but my clinician didn't have any in stock, so they gave me cyclessa. Will I still be protected as soon as I start taking cyclessa or do I have to wait 7 days or something? Please help! Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 14th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
It is best to use a backup method for at least a week or two as your body has to get used to this new pill. However, b/c is only 99% effective if taken 100% correctly! If you don't want babies then use condoms too! I hate it when doctors/clinicians do that crap. You actually get a pill that you can use and love and then they make you switch. Grrrr.
|

replied August 15th, 2004
Thanks hotasfrik, anyone else have any insight? I asked a pharmacist and he said there would be no need to use any backup, but I will just in case.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Well then your pharmacist needs a reality check. People get pregnant on birth control all of the time. It is 99% effective if taken 100% correctly. If you do not want babies then a backup method is the intelligent way to go.
Of course, many people are on the pill and do not use backup and never get pregnant, but if you want to be responsible then you need to use backup.
|

You're right, it's only 99% effective if used 100% correctly, and most people dont' use it 100% correctly. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.
|