Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Starving Yourself

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Is it true that if you starve yourself you get fatter because I heard that when you do that your body eats at the fat that you have stored and you gain weight?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 6th, 2004
If you starve yourself, you'll die Smile
|

replied August 6th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Why would you want to do that???If you want to lose weight,you need to decrease your fat and carb intake and increase your activity level.Any weight loss gimmick that promises huge weight loss without diet and exercise will not give you long term,healthy weight loss.Starving yourself will only cause your body to use your vital organs as fuel and cause irreversible damage.Your body does go into starvation mode and will not use fat,but will start to destroy muscle and your vital organs in an attempt to fuel your body.This is done when there is no more fat reserve left.This is not a good way to lose weight.Do not try it.
|

replied August 6th, 2004
Hmm
Well I know all too well the dangers of starvation, only not meaning to do so. When I get over-anxious I have no desire to eat until my stomach complains at the end of the day. I did lose a terrible ammount of weight in a week, 7 pounds to be exact but I felt really lousy. I told my doctor and she got me on nerve meds which will kick in soon. When I do get over-stressed now, I eat little portions during the day or if I can't handle solid food, I drink milk with ovaltine so I get some nutrients in me. I hope that this is your case and maybe you can do the same.
Now if you are trying to starve yourself to lose weight, well yeah you lose alot of water weight, but when you do eat all that weight comes back to haunt you.
Either way, your body will go into starvation mode and use your organs and muscle for food as pattyv has said. I know it is easier said than done but little steps can help. Good luck!
|

replied August 6th, 2004
Experienced User
I starved myself last summer a lot, and lost 60 pounds. I still look huge though because of the "flab". I only used the starvation method because I get too tired after even the slightest exercising, and I found starvation to be that much easier.

But yeah i've heard some story about how eating more helps you lose more weight or something to that effect - I don't believe it, because I ate a lot when I was younger and that was the cause of my obesity. Then again my metabolism is all screwed up too.

If you don't want to exercise but still lose weight, starvation is the way to go. Is it the bad way? Yeah, probably; I think I actually have an ulcer of some kind in my stomach because of the acids doing weird things without food to digest.

Whether you're asking on your own behalf or just out of curiosity, well, I wouldn't suggest starvation as a means of losing weight; you lose the pounds sure, but you still look almost the same.

Best o' luck to thee.

Scaredbaka - has bad bad stretch marks from losing weight o.O
|

replied August 14th, 2004
scaredbaka wrote:

but yeah i've heard some story about how eating more helps you lose more weight or something to that effect - I don't believe it, because I ate a lot when I was younger and that was the cause of my obesity. Then again my metabolism is all screwed up too.

i think you are mistaking eating more often with eating more. There is a difference. Eating smaller, more frequent meals, instead of three large meals, or two smaller meals (breakfast and lunch) and one huge evening meal (dinner) can improve your metabolism, and quench your hunger without as many calories. Eating small healthy snacks throughout the day along with smaller meals is a wonderful way to lose weight coupled with exercise! I think this is why diet plans such as slim fast and weight watchers work so well. They follow this routine very well, and you get all of the nutrients you need.. With a program like weight watchers, you can choose which snacks and meals to have! You can even have chocolate cheesecake... Only a small piece though Wink

seriously, starving is no good. Our bodies were designed to maintain a certain amount of calorie intake to balance the amount of energy we use- why screw with such a perfect plan of nature? Just learn how to tweek it a little by eating less but more frequently.

Oh yeah, and if you get too tired after doing exercise, start off slowly. Take nice walks. After a week or to, try picking up the pace a little. Try five sit-ups, and work your way up to ten. Walking is probably my favorite exercise. I hate running because I have severe athsma and get tired from it quickly, but a good brisk walk feels nice. Not to mention, walking is a good way to keep our environment clean- lose weight while having a good eco-conscience. Bicycling is another great exercise that you can do at your own pace. Yoga too. Find an exercise that you like, start off small, and work your way up.

Whatever you do, don't starve yourself!! Your body is your temple, don't abuse it by starving yourself!
-eff

p.S. This is not coming from a skinny mini; I was obese throughout grade school, and am still trying to reach that ever-looming goal weight, but I have lost a lot of wieght already by listening to my doctor, eating moderately, and being more active
|

replied August 16th, 2004
Experienced User
I'm Starving Myself Right Now, Not By Choice
I haven't eaten any solid food besides a couple of tries of small portions under 100 calories for a week now because of severe nausea and digestive cramping. I most definitely have lost fat. There is no longer padding on my ribs or pelvic bones. You will eventually lose fat if you starve yourself, if not right away. Different people lose weight and fat differently. Most people, who need to lose weight, lose weight best by exercise and a small reduction in calories.
|

replied August 18th, 2004
So That's the Pain My Stomach..
Someone said something about the acids not having food to digest and getting ulcers:: around 8th grade I was really stressed out causei have no where to live and I think I had an ulcer cause I couldn't eat an I was stressed and now that pain has come back really badly and I think it's cause for the last week I just haven't been eating much, but it's more like I haven't been hungry.. But when I do eat I feel really sick, not to my stomach, but at myself, and this sounds wierd but I feel like I shouldn't have eaten, like, I feel bad for eating. I have noticed a change but not in weight, I don't like anything anymore, pizza doesn't make me happy and I skipped tryouts for my favorite sport.. I don't make sense to myself sometimes but that's just whats going on I guess im seeking some information on what's wrong with me or just someone who can relate or something sorry for making this so long and about so many different things
|

replied August 26th, 2005
Experienced User
If you starve yourself... Like a fast, yes you will lose weight. A lot of the weight will be water and muscle however. And starvation causes your metabolism to slow down(that's why you are supposed to eat 5 or 6 small high protein meals a day). The key is to learn how to starve yourself without letting your metabolism slow and while still losing weight. High protein, very few carbs and low fat works, however, your brain needs 100 carbs to function correctly. So you will get tired, dizzy, etc... And might suffer from insomnia because of it. It's better to eat really small meals... 100 to 200 calories 6 times a day because your metabolism will be fooled into thinking that you've eaten and keep going. And exercise is key because the fat will melt away then. It'd honestly be better to not starve yourself but you gotta know how to do it. Fasting is actually very healthy for your body every once in a while. Drink green tea and water during the fast and drink light soup... It slows down the aging process. Food equals free radicals. Think fiber too, because when you starve yourself you'll be constipated like a heroin junky. Fiber also fills you up more than other calories. The reason i'm giving you advice is it's easy for people to say, why buy into hollywood thin is in? Truth is, thin has always and will always be in. So if you've come on here, chances are you have or are going to starve yourself. Binge eating will be another obstacle to overcome because you will be so hungry first time you eat, you'll go nuts and put all the weight back on. All the food will cause your body to store more water so you'll flip out when looking at the scales. It's a crappy, insane cycle but I know plenty of people who pull it off and look awesome.
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
First off, i cant beleive that you people are telling someone to starve themselves, obviously none of you have had an eating disorder, when you starve or restrict your calories drasticaly , sure youll lose weight at first. But it messes up your metabolism soo bad that when you start to eat normal again you will gain weight soooooo fast. Plus it damages your body and you cant exactly go back and fix it, the best thing to do is eat 3-5 small meals a day, lots of fruit and veggies, work out at least 30 minutes each day. Best bet would be talk to a nutritionist to get you on the right track of eating healthy foods. You can go online to websites and put in your weight and height and activity level to determine how many calories you should be eating ina day. Always eat breakfast too, it jump starts your metabolism and gives you the energy you need throughout the day. SKipping meals and starving yourself or starving and working out are not OK!. It isnt better if you at least work out while you starve that is soo much worse. T hink before you offer advice. DOnt tell people to starve themselves that is soo unhealthy and life threatening.
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2007
Experienced User
I have to agree with tinkinpink84. Starving yourself is NOT HEALTHY! This is not advice this is a DEATH SENTENCE.
What you need to realize is when you cut off your body from food of any kind your body goes into starvation mode and starts using internal food (your body) for survival. You are killing yourself inside out. When you first start doing this your body will not react like this it will start storing any kind of fluid your body creates so that it doesn't starve. So you could gain weight for a little while. Your body will have difficulty eliminating so you will become constipated and this will be absorbed into your system. So again not a good thing. Eating right is the best and taking care of your body. Good luck and keep us posted.
|

User Profile
Supporter
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I can NOT believe some of you people are saying that it is okay to starve yourselves! It is NEVER ok to starve yourself.

The best way to lose weight is exercise and dieting.

From experience, I have lost a lot of weight by eating smaller meals, more often. I can eat up to 6 meals a day, but they are very small portions.

Exercising is the best way to be healthy. It also releases endorphins that make you happy!!!!! Very Happy
|

User Profile
Experienced User
When starving yourself (not recommending it!) what your body does is, like previously stated, goes into starvation mode. So when you don't eat anything for awhile and then all the sudeen eat....your body does store everything you take in. It does this because it thinks that it isn't going to get food of any sort for a long period of time so it keeps this inside of you. This isn't going to help you lose weight. It's only going to help you gain it. Don't listen to all these people on here that say its ok CAUSE ITS NOT! Not by any means...just like the last two postings have said. It's going to ruin your body. If you want to lose weight...please do it the healthy way. My mom had sey her mind on loosing weight...shes lost 33 lbs! And what she does is does something active everyday....walks a mile (sometimes 3) and she also goes on bike rides (1-5 miles). She does either one of these almost every day. And as for what she eats....she doesn't starve herself by any means. What she does is only eats whats good for her. I don't see her going to the cupboard and grabbing a bag of chips and sitting down and just chowing. She doesn't eat things like chips, brownies, cookies, cake, chocolate, a lot of bread, ice cream things like that! She will eat like sandwhiches, salads, sloppy joes (lol), just like things that are really bad for you. She jsut stays away from the junk food and shes lost 33 LBS! So if you can set your mind to healthier food, stay away from junk food and then go on a walk or bike ride 5 out of the 7 days i think you will be just fine. Are you even over weight or are you like a teenage girl that weighs like 120 and wants to be skinnier?
|

replied June 12th, 2008
Starving urself
I wouldn't recomend starving urself to anyone, for most people it will fail and only for some t will work. i starved myself once for about 3-4months, i only ate like soup unless i really had too. i was fat all my life and lost it all and got a six pack and everything, the only reason it worked for me is cuz i did excersice all the time, running aROUND CONSTANTLY. Now a about 3 years later ive gained a lot of fat Sad from being happy and not caring, tril i looked in th mirror and saw what i had become, FAT and ugly. I even have stretch marks. i have no confidence. so ive started it again, i ve lost a stone in 3 days, feeling awful, but i have to do it. Some People dont understand what its like to be fat all your life and have every1 laugh at you(OR u think they are lol) so for me this is the way to go, cuz if i eat 1 thing i get addicted again, only after i lose all my fat will i start eating, but will excersice a lot so i cant gain it all again. I wish i had sum1 to talk to about it, thats why im here. cuz it helps wen u have sum1 else huz been or are along ur path doin the same thing
|

replied April 1st, 2009
Starving yourself
I starved myself for three weeks last year before eating something. To be honest, I didnt think Id live that long with no food at all, only vitamins and Irn Bru. I had heart palpitations, tingly/numb hands and feet, shortness of breath and insomnia.I was killing myself.

Watching my friends and family suffer was terrible. I should explain that I was this way because my partner died, very horrificly in front of my eyes. I wanted to join him.

So unless the intention is to kill yourself, I wouldnt recommend it. You cant think staight, walk without getting dizzy or look your family in the face due to the grief you're causing them.

I lost a stone and 3/4 in that time, and yes, when I did start eating again, even though it wasnt much food to start with, I put on weight faster than I ever have in my life, in places Id never put it on before.
|

replied September 11th, 2009
help me starve myself
I really want to start starving myself, im tired of going on "healthy" diets and not seeing ANY results!! Can someone help me with a plan? Or tell me how to do it correctly?

THANK YOU!!
|

replied September 19th, 2009
For the love of medical question >_<
look, alot of people on this forum are being a bit crazy about this one question. We all know starving is bad, people aren't stupid, starving messes up your body. We all know healthy eating & exercise is the way to go & keeping that lifestyle is a good way to maintain weight. But what a lot of people forget is that when you get fat, you get lethargic, to the point {in worst case situations} not wanting to even move out of bed in the morning.

Alot of health freaks just keep moaning, screaming even "EXERCISE, STOP BEING LAZY!" but it's not that easy if you're big. There's no will power, there's no incentive to go out & jog or walk for ages. I mean, if it's the option to a fat person to either go sweat like a pig for an hour a day or sit on your arse & watch tv then clearly there's gonna be no contest & the latter will win hands down.

I say this cause i know it, right now i'm at 24 stone. But it wasn't always this way. Being pregnant shot me from 19 stone to 24, & my eating habbits from pregnancy have carried on even after my son was born this March. But just over a year ago i weighed 17 stone, the smallest i'd been in years. I was so proud, & i did it through starving myself. And as i've already stated, i know it was a bad way to do it but it's what i thought was best for the time. I tried dieting & exercising. But i was always too tired, too hungry, too depressed about not having decent enough results FAST & not enough will power too see a diet through. I was at a point of waking up at 3pm most days, waddling my 25stone arse down to the shops to buy cigarettes & booze & anything cheap & quick to stuff in my face... I was nothing, didn't want to exist. I lived by myself, i had tons of friends but couldn't stand having company. Then one day i thought what am i doing?! Starving was my only option in my eyes & it worked for me. In less than 6 months i plummeted to 19 stone. The confidence boost was amazing, i got into smaller clothes, i looked sexy & i felt great. I started walking, i walked everywhere listening to my mp3 player & i gained muscle in my legs & bum {something which was previously foreign to my body} but even then i continued to starve... not because i wanted to but mainly cause i didn't have an urge to eat. My stomach had shrank & i didn't feel hungry very often. When i began to eat again it was mainly soup & a roll but still i wasn't eating daily. I met my fiance & managed to maintain a weight of 18 stone even after living with him for a year & eating PROPER portions of food again.

So basically, it is possible to starve & then start a healthy diet if you choose to. It's your body, do what you want to do with it. Just don't be stupid & get to the point of anorexic.

I'm starting my starvation cycle again, having my son has wrecked my body & i've lost all control... But yet again i have that same old feeling of what am i doing with myself. So i'm doing it all again, i've done it before & trust me, once you see those pounds drop off that scale you'll feel so happy it's unreal. And that boost can usually lead you to want to go out & improve the amount of weight you lose.

I hope my babbling helped, i know alot of people will probably frown on this but so what, it's my opinion, my experiances & i'm entitled to my say. But most importantly, everyone is different, everyone has their own methods of doing things, so don't pressurize people into doing diets which don't work for them. Just let people choose what they're comfortable in doing.
|

replied January 4th, 2010
k im 15 an have issues with my weight im 5 3 an 124 pounds and i am majorly into all sports an physical activitys
my problem is i like starving an not eating i drop weight instantly but its very hard to get off "starvation" mode and get back to normal eating habits cuz as soon as i start eating again i gain like 5 pounds when i do starve i feel happy an stuff cuz im one step closer to not being fat. how do i make myself not feel so terrible about eating?
|

User Profile
replied January 16th, 2012
I am 5'3" and i went from 167 to 122 in one week by starving myself and not drinking any fluids. I walked every day and it's now two years later and my weight did no such revolting. My weight stayed steady between 120 and 123. I just recently decided to "diet again". My new goal is 90 pounds. It's been three days and I lost 10 pounds. The human body can go months without food and 1 month or more without water depending on the determination and will of the person. The scale and mirror have always been reward enough for me. After the second day I lost my appetite and even smells did/do nothing. The head rushes are a problem but I got use to them. The point is it does work. It just depends on the person themselves and how committed they are. Not drinking any fluids during this process tremendously helps. I'm not saying that you should go starve yourself. I was in a day treatment center and am still clinically depressed. I suffered from cutting, which I have refrained from and have been battling with self esteem issues. This is my own personal experience. Depriving yourself of food and water is dangerous but i'm not going to lie to you. I have blacked out in the past due to my head rushes, where I lose vision and strength and fall on the spot in a daze. I can't think properly when this occurs, if at all, and I am well aware that I have developed an eating disorder. I abuse alcohol and even though, in my experience, this does work I would advise you to figure out what exactly your substituting food for in your life. Unless you figure out why your eating to much and face it you will never be able to successfully keep the weight of in a healthy way. Weight watchers is also a very good program and it works. I know this from experience as well as friends and family. This is my own issue and I choose to deal with it in an unhealthy way. You don't want to stare in the mirror naked and mentally abuse yourself hours a day like i do. You should treat your body in a loving and respecting way. It's the only one your ever gonna have.
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2012
Many cultures in the world fast
Actually many people have promoted the benefits of fasting to me and so I tried it and found it beneficial. Not for long periods of time of course but many cultures do fasting and are super healthy. Our culture thinks differently about food. It can help also keep your appetite under control, clear your colon, and boost your metabolism. I like to do it one day a week. Skipping a meal or two is not starving yourself. believe me we dont know what starving is in this country.
|